Request ATTN: all salt, lend me your machines! (Read 531 times)

• By by
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
anyone running windows xp or higher interested in letting me know if this runs bad or good on their computer?

i added some "fancy" effects to Frog Days, a myst like I'm making in adventure game studio. but then i wondered how well does this works on machines that aren't mine? i have an older desktop, and everything runs fine for me, but with the new screen transitions added id like to know what kind of effect on performance it has on other computers!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byxpy03yBoVSR1ZKaEY1NDFiTnM/view?usp=sharing

^^that is the link, but be aware the graphics and stuff are all for test purposes! most graphics will not be in the final game!

this is what you'll get to see:

everything is place holders by the way...

in the finished game there will be stuff like this:

thank you for your time, it's much appreciated!
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Waahh!!! Wahhh!!! I've missed u sok!!! :fogetcry: your games are best!!! never die!!!!!!! :imfree: oops okay lemme check how it works
  • By by
  • PipPipPipPip
haha thank you bonze you're great! i lurk everyday on saltworld but never post because there's nothing of much value i can add besides "oh that's neat!" (like that gif is very neat)

i can start posting 3d models here i guess when i go back to modeling! right now im on a coding binge...

here's a little progress update: added an option to my dissolve transition effect so that if there is an npc or object that appears on screen, and then changes position, and you want it to phase in and out from point a to point b, the previous thing's position is accounted for as if it were still there(with the current sprites width and length, and if the sprite is cut off on the screen) and it draws the dissolve transition as a box between those two points. the whole screen is still captured to for drawing, but the new sprite is cropped down to the correct size...
  • Worthless Protoplasm
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
haha how does anyone MAKE graphics like that? I'm convinced they already existed as a consciousness on the internet...
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

• By by
  • PipPipPipPip
thanks! im glad you say that, authenticity is the end goal... i want to make sure the entire experience feels like a lost multi media game attempting to ride the first person exploration wave.

as for how, i took up 3d modeling in Blender, render images, and index them to 64 colors in photoshop to get "the look"
reminds me of some horrible (in a good way) edutainment games I used to play at my local library. I think it's the UI of the OS and menu thing. I said this before when you posted a year ago but it's like somewhere between Necrobius (basically western Eastern Mind) and Myst, but more towards Myst. I've been reading through the thread on tigsource and it's amazing, the OS is the best thing. and it baffles me that you're doing this in AGS (also that rar file you uploaded is 10mb but unpacked the files are like 70mb??? magic??)

I have Windows 7 and everything works fine. the transition of the words sometimes goes up down or right left. digging the music too. i gave the guy the shiny key but he keeps cloning himself. is that actually a lemon or something else that starts with "lem"...?
  • By by
  • PipPipPipPip
thanks! yes myst was pretty much the template in the beginning(computer files instead of ages, operating system instead of linking books, but no fmv acting!) but denzquix showed me a bunch of sweet 3d firsr person adventures and the rest is history! necrobius is one of those games in the list of 'study these games' for sure!

im glad it worked, now there is no solution to the puzzle, it's turned off. most things in those rooms are for test and demo purposes only. the lem lemon is there as an object that can activate a cutscene, the switch in the first room is there to demo the music system, the second room is there to demo the random npc encou ters system(but that might have been turned off too!) and the final room is to demo an inventory puzzle. most of this stuff makes up a lot of the game in wandering mode and it was a test to see how to best program regular gameplay functionality and keep it simple to setup the rooms when they're made.

thank you very much for playing! :o anyone with win8 or 10 if you have the time try it and let me know if it actually, well, runs hehe! i would be eternally greatful...
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Win 8 runs just fine (? tho i don't have a reference...). But for example, the inventory only displays hand but the other two items have no icons (just the same placeholder buttons/icons like everything else) whatsoever, so idk whats dis talk about lemon and shiny key.

on the other hand, the actual experience is good whoa... i refrain from commenting too much on demo but music is hella good, the compression/sound and delivery on the thingy's speech is great, the animations great (aaa talk about superstimuli)... like ragnar said, we're gonna assume this was already in the consciousnes of the internet...
i could see you potentially do crazy crazy shit with this, like with the game u did with goddess where you strut around as that tourist. like, once you get down the myst/win95 esthetics, you could just let loose and put all kindsa crazy (or personal/modern??) shit you can imagine, bit like how catamites experimented and did with the cockroach - game.
(btw i really really sorta liked the windows 95 popup message screens, reminds me of those funky parser adventure games like Gateway 2 and Eric the Unready, really recommend to check out for another kind of alien adventure game experience. if u keep those, perhaps you can keep the music and gfx sounds play while displaying those messages, or perhaps just 0-sec transition lower the volume on everything during displaying those messages?? How Cheap Can We Pull This Out).
Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:45:50 am by bonzi_buddy
  • Power to the parsley
  • PipPipPipPipPip
SOK like always manifests the unconscious aesthetic with startling legitimacy and excellence.
Windows 7 - the first time, i ran without using winsetup and it crashed, but then it worked just fine.

the speech is greeeaaat, and the music kicks serious ass. it feels authentic and not fucking lame at all. the compression/hiss as mentioned is very good. lovin' that basketball texture too.

i could see you potentially do crazy crazy shit with this, like with the game u did with goddess where you strut around as that tourist.

are you talking about the adventure game he did with anatola howard, that was so fucking cool, i wish she still posted.

-edit: And yeah! You are a portal, along with thecatamites others, to the neo-salt aesthetic where the true uncanny of the past decades are mined & combined w/ powerful modern and idiosyncratic personal touches... treasured ripple in the art of cyberspace.
Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:38:09 am by Small Green Cicada
  • By by
  • PipPipPipPip
thanks! glad it runs decently! :D my main concern was have quickly it would do transition animations/how efficient it would be since the game has to take a screenshot of the game and then erase it quickly for wandering around and if a sprite dissolves in...

im glad you noticed the compression on the sound! it's... instrumental you could say to having an authentic experience. those message screens aren't there to stay, they're there for debug purposes at the moment, and the reason nothing happens when those appear is they pause the game and happen before my resume music function runs. there wont be any messages like that, all important stuff will be explained through crazy, horrible voice acting and word art subtitles! the icons are just placeholders now but to know exactly what they are just hover your mouse over them and you'll get a description of what it is. (also lemon is on screen two, turn left, and try to

though looking at eric the unready, clicked on a random point in the video and apparently you are kissing a pig and its really awkward.... i love it already

also the game you're talking is something Denzquix and i made for that game jam where the game is named after a racing horse(Whiskey Weather)(that's still going to be finished eventually!)

also cicada you're thinking of is 4 lung boy, made by denzquix and anatola, though i cant take any credit for that masterpiece! had nothing to do with it heheh!
  • The Irrepressible
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
this game is the most beuatifal thing i have ever laid mine eyes on oer the vast interwubbage.

Runs ok on win 7
"I would be totally embarassed to write this, even as a fakepost. it's not funny except in how you seem to think it's good. look at all the redundancies, for fuck's sake. "insipid semantics, despicable mediocrity" ugh gross gross. I want to take a shower every time I read your prose." -Steel
  • Power to the parsley
  • PipPipPipPipPip
f-ffucck! i- i mixed it all up! i'm done for...
  • Tech Suit Pilot: First Class
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Win 10 runs fine on

Some of those options are kinda whack.
Walked 3 frames, turned around.
Figured out you could open inventory by double clicking.
Things that have no pictures apparently one was shiny enough for the guy.

found weird gold thing on the wall i couldn't pick up.

[center][/center]
Worx fine on; -IBM Thinkpad T60 running Windows XP-