Art - Finished archivist (Read 476 times)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
i'm sure this is no surprise to people who know the sort of stuff i used to post here, i've been obsessively adding things to archive.org for a few years now

(((note: i think the in-browser DOSBox emulator still works best with Firefox... Chrome even seems to be getting worse with it over time...)))

here are the games from Aderack's Game-Maker Archive (almost all can be emulated in-browser - Aderack's has emulation too but it's Java-based)
https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Game-Maker%20games%22&sort=date

here are the ZZT-based games from zzt.org also with emulation:
https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_zzt?sort=date

here are Adventure Game Studio games, mostly from the official AGS database (or the AGS archives maintained by Peder Johnsen which rehosted a lot of the games after their original homes disappeared). none of these are emulated, even the really early ones that ran on DOS... for some reason the browser DOSBox chokes on startup with AGS games, but normal DOSBox doesn't
https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Adventure%20Game%20Studio%20games%22&sort=date

here are some diskmags (only a minority are emulated, the MS-DOS ones, but the Amiga ones have a bunch of screenshots)
https://archive.org/details/diskmags?&sort=creatorSorter

here are a bunch of Windows 3.1 compatible CD-ROMs:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Windows+3.1+CD-ROM"

and some Amiga compatible CD-ROMs (mostly from abime.net's FTP)
https://archive.org/details/amiga_cdrom?sort=date

anyway... thanks for listening
  • Power to the parsley
  • PipPipPipPipPip
You're doing the Great God Imp's work, denzquix. I was thinking of trying to accumulate game maker games (older version of the mark overmars program, pre-yoyo games ownership) just in case nobody else is archiving the massive blush of amateur and awesome games. the fact that so much of kimberly kubus's stuff is lost is a crime in and of itself, and i have a lot of good memories of gm games and community. Is that the sort of thing that might be included eventually? they're pretty decentralized/possibly too modern. Anyway... Let's all hear it for a true warrior of esoteric preservationism!! *orange sunset* Hats off to ya... *violins swell, single tear, voice chokes up* archivist.
Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:34:01 am by Small Green Cicada
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I was thinking of trying to accumulate game maker games (older version of the mark overmars program, pre-yoyo games ownership) just in case nobody else is archiving the massive blush of amateur and awesome games. the fact that so much of kimberly kubus's stuff is lost is a crime in and of itself, and i have a lot of good memories of gm games and community. Is that the sort of thing that might be included eventually?
the answer is yes but only if someone chooses to do it! I'd love to help but I would need help on leads for where to get em from (even just a list of game titles would be useful), I was never a part of that community myself and "game maker" gets too many other hits... most of the stuff I'm talking about so far has really been standing on the shoulders of giants, slurping from existing online archives maintained by the real heroes.... (in fact I just found another one, Shoot 'Em Up Construction Kit games for the Amiga and Commodore 64, i'll probably get those in some time...)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
looks like i can track down about 70% of kimberly kubus' games as listed here (largely thanks to the mediafire link you posted in memoriam last year.... but also partially this collection hosted on a Trainwrecks subsite: http://mirrors.glorioustrainwrecks.com/kubus/ )

...but it seems that kimberlykubus.com and ppgames.net were both deliberately excluded from the wayback machine... i wonder if it is entirely ethical to archive kubus games to a website if exclusion was intended...

in any case, these are the games I have not been able to find, from that list

The Nice Game 4 (2006)
The Armageddon Blazers (2009)
Attack Of The Smilies (2009)
Blank Screen: Black Screen 6 In Static Screen 7 (2009)
Blank Screen 2: White Screen 4 In Black Screen 5 (2009)
One Windshield In The Fields Of Transparant Jizz From The Printers In Balloon Number 3 (2009)
Pillow Fighter 95B (2009)
Phry Demata: The House Of Rising Sprees (2009)
Phry Demata Version II: Moving Backwards (2009)
Sackman (2009)
Tick Takk Blow: Squirting In The Curtains Of Cum (2009)
Tower Chess In The Sandchells On The Coast Of Beachland Bay (2009)
Try To Make This Game Run To The Space Tractor (2009)
Wider Bider Cider (2009)
Kill The Dummies 4 (2009)
Liar Fakkhuu The Divine Florist (2009)
Minto Labyrint Ho (2009)
Music Boks UV 56 (2009)
Nazi Fish Meets The Xonia Pussylord And The Romantic Touch Of Ghost Body (2009)
Flood Man (2009)
Fun In The Closet (2009)
Camel Breeder (2009)
Completely Wasted Driver 2 In 1 On 3 (2009)
Crash Test Dummies 2: Smash And Crash (2009)
Death (2009)
Halloween In Space (2009)
Ivaskikkahukulah Flakk Flakk (2009)
Johnny 27 (2009)
Johnny 28 (2009)
The First Game Making Salsa Dip Extra Hot Fifth Spacy Herbal Mixture (2009)
Pollution Manager (2010)
Offroad Ex Stream 2000 Part 37: Licking Up The Dirt With A Pencil In The Nose (2010)
Sah Dah Dah Deh Deh Sah (2010)
Easter In Space (2010)
BOATS YEAH (2010)
Johnny 29 (2010)
Johnny 30: Mystikk (2010)
Fake Identity Stealer (2010)
Johnny 31: Mojito Dimension (2011)
Johnny 32: Rising From The Ashes (2011)
Sim Sa La Bimbo (2011)
Sweating Balls (2011)
Acupuncture Santa (2011)
The God Of Piss (2012)
Johnny 33: The Final Saga (2012)
Johnny 34: Into The Battle (2012)
Johnny 35 (2012)
Rest In Peace Or In Pieces (2012)
Abortion Manager (2012)
Embalming Fluid Collector (2013)
The Toiletfly (2013)
The Animal Killer (Version Final) (2013)
Johnny 36 (2014)
here's Johnny 27-36
and while not video games you can find most of his music and videos on this youtube channel
I think all the games from the Sandbox (RIP) are archived... but there's tons of games like cicada said that are just lost forever. gamemakergames.com is 90% dead links from what I've seen so far
  • PipPipPipPipPip
here's Johnny 27-36
oh, that's great! thank you! that brings it up to about 75% of the wikia list
gamemakergames.com is 90% dead links from what I've seen so far
well, let's see what we can do for that 10%. beyond that, i guess it's a matter of holding out hope that someone out there was quietly downloading games as they went up to a hard drive that they still have access to
Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:57:32 pm by denzquix
  • PipPipPipPipPip
unfortunately i'm having trouble with virus checkers going haywire on Game Maker games.... it seems there was an epidemic among the community back then, but i wouldn't be surprised if also the actual game maker engine code itself is also setting off some false positives, because it is just so common. it's a real big problem for archiving.....
Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:58:54 pm by denzquix
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
yup. i remember barkley 1 hitting all the breaks wif dem virus scanners. smells fishy if you ask me...
  • Power to the parsley
  • PipPipPipPipPip
what do you guys use for antivirus?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
what do you guys use for antivirus?
on Windows I just use Windows Security Essentials + whatever built-in thing the browsers use that blocks downloaded stuff, but there's also https://www.virustotal.com/ which I think archive.org actually uses itself behind the scenes to check files as they are uploaded and block virussy ones
  • Power to the parsley
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Huh, interesting! I was curious because I only use mse and it never bothers to warn me about gm games, perhaps I've been lucky with my downloads.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Yeah, it's confusing because virustotal.com has all these different checkers, like over 50, and some games only get 1 hit out of any them, which is suspicious.

I wrote a program to go through gamemakergames.com and pull out every download URL along with some other details of the games into a SQLite database. One download service that was somewhat popular (190 games) and is still online is host-a.net. But it seems like everything I've tried to grab from there has been apparently severely infected - as in the browser and MSE will immediately complain about it. I wonder if host-a.net itself has been compromised...
some lost kubus games linked here: http://sunfish.proboards.com/thread/69/complete-list-lost-kubus-games
  • VILLAIN
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
archivism is extremely important and it's commendable that you're doing it. have you ever thought about working on the DOS game archivism project? (I forgot what the name was.)