Topic: General Informations! (Read 2425 times)

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
By the way, you really ought to download The Chain Game 1 here and download The Chain Game 2 here and play them!

Okay, I PMed a couple of people about this, and I have decided who will do the First Chapter, and who will be the two co-directors.

RPG will do the first chapter. He has until the 24th, which is more than enough time to give it a good start.

UPRC and Mateui will be our co-directors. Basically they will try and help test each chapter for bugs and keep things running when I'm away; nothing too major.

Now, I'd like to establish the basic grounds rules which will keep the game looking and playing consistent:

• About battles:
    • Default Battle System is allowed, but keep it to a minimum. For character battle sprites, just modify the regular hero sprites to be used in battle. For battle animations, set it so that the hero disappears during an attack, and use the hero sprites in the battle animations so that it looks like they are attacking. This is pretty much what we did in CG2, only now we're in RM2k3. If this is CONFUSING, I'll make a short demo game showing what I mean.
    • Do not give heroes exp for battles. One problem in CG2 was that hero levels, attack powers, and monster difficulty were pretty crazy and variable. So in CG3, do not level up heroes via exp. Instead, at the beginning of each chapter, level up all the heros manually so that they will match the monsters in your chapter. I think this will work out well because hero power vs monster power can be regulated very precisely relative to each chapter.
  • About dialogue:
    • I think the dialogue format for CG2 worked pretty well, so that is what we will use. It will look like this:
\c[04]Aeris:\c[00]
this guy are sick
As you can see, the color code for the character name will be 04 (yellow) followed by a new line with the dialogue on it.
  • I am not going to change any dialogue to make it more intelligible when I bugtest, because some people might intentionally misspell or write crazy shit for humorous effect. So beware!

• About the story:
  • As I've said before, I'm not going to care too much about how you do the story. The main goal of The Chain Game 3 is a blend of humor and good gameplay. Keep the story somewhat coherent and non-retarded, do not kill off main characters without approval from the rest of us, don't add more than one playable characters per chapter, etc. Use your brains, but have fun!

• About passing the game:
  • After RPG is done with the first chapter, the general sequence of events for passing the game will be like this:
    • Participant will upload the game or somehow deliver it into my (virtual) hands NO LATER THAN 2 weeks after they recieve it. What this means is that if you get the game on Wednesday the 12th, and I tell you you have until next Wednesday the 26th, you have to give me back the game with your addition before the end of the 26th. If not, you better have a goddamn good reason to be late, and be able to get the game to me in another day or two, or else you will be skipped entirely.
  • After I get the game, I'll also pass it to the two co-directors. They will try and play through the new part if the can to catch any bugs or discrepencies, which they will notify me about. I will keep the game for overview no more than two days after I recieve it. If I take more than two days to pass the game to the next person, call me out on that shit! I have no more excuse for delaying the game than anyone else.
  • About the world map and creator notes:
  • If RPG doesn't make a world map and creator notes section, I will do it myself when I get it. The world map is, obviously, the world overmap which players will move between towns on Final Fantasy style. The creator notes section is a map with an event on it, with a bunch of comments from each player. This is where you can put little notes and informational tidbits for everyone else so they don't get confused about something you've done. Of course, don't hesitate to make topics here in the forum, either, but if you have SUPER SECRET INFO, put it in the creator notes.

• About hero speed:
  • Use the default hero speed (4: Normal) for all cities and indoor areas. For the world map, use half speed (3: Half Speed.) It is extremely important that you remember to set the hero speed correctly when teleporting to and from the world map!
[/list]

That's pretty much it for now. If anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free.
Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 01:17:55 am by Belross
0-------0
|Belross|
0-------0
  • No, it doesn't stand for anything.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Super!
  • I'm like Jesus, only in a non-religious way.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Cool stuff. According to my math, the game will be finished before the end of this year. Am I right? Its better than the three years (or so I've heard) that cg2 was active.

A question: Is RPG gonna start the thing from scratch, or does he have a guideline to follow (storyline wise)?
  • Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Well, there are about 18 parts to do... 9 months... Hopefully if shit DOESN'T FUCK UP this time, it will be done in a year.

RPG will basically be starting from scratch. I'm sure we could ALL brainstorm though!
0-------0
|Belross|
0-------0
RPG will basically be starting from scratch. I'm sure we could ALL brainstorm though!

I would, but it is too hard to come up with any ideas at all until I see where RPG is taking the story. :D
  • Gamemaker > Rm2k
  • PipPipPipPip
Sounds like a plan!

A suggestion / question though!

What about saving? Allowed through menu everywhere or use save points? Or is this chapter specific as the author wants?

As for chapters, I think it'd be cool if we could have a sort of a splash screen between chapters. For instance, when you finish chapter 9 the screens fades to black some cool sounds play and a screen comes up with the chapter #, creator and a name for the chapter (ex. Chapter #10 by DarkPriest ~~ The Rise Of The Metal Militants).
I think this would give emphasis on who to credit for what, instead of having to read a .txt file after playing to see who made chapter x. Each author could also make the splash screen as they see fit - just have a static picture of maybe use pictures, battle animations and panoramas for a complex cimematic event! How about it?
<Drule> I can play the didgeridoo actually
<Drule> some guy on the street taught me
<Drule> come to think of it
<Drule> it was pretty gross how I played on his didgeridoo

so wrong...
  • Lord of Hotmogs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I like DP's idea. I think we already had that in chain games, but it was just a black screen with the chapter names.

Also, are we going to use certain chipsets? It's just that FF6 chipsets don't fit with Zelda's... and I'm looking for some good desert town / desert temple or ruins chipsets right now, but I'm not sure if we should go for a certain style (like mac and blue) or if it's just up to the chapter's author.
Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 01:22:43 pm by RPG
  • Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Yeah, we had intro screens for each chapter before, but the names of the creators weren't on them, so it was pretty confusing who did what. So for CG3, be sure to put your name on your chapter!

RPG: use whatever, as long as it sort of fits together. Zelda is way to cartoony to use. Secret of Mana and SD3 had some good desert chipsets.
0-------0
|Belross|
0-------0
  • GW Staff: Article Alcoholic (Current Mood: Happy!)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Everything sounds good to me.
  • Lord of Hotmogs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Woo, I spent a long time editing chipsets today. I'm doing good progress, at this rate, my chapter would be done before the deadline.

Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 03:18:13 pm by RPG
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Wohoo, Shaun's back? Means I can make a chapter called 'Shaun of the Dead' again. Awesome

Also I really like the effort put into this. I'm hoping to get something really good to work with storywise! Don't let me down guys.
Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 09:25:07 pm by Bisse
  • RPG Demon creator
  • Pip
Haha.

I remember I was the one who introduced Shaun into the story in chapter two of CG2.  He's named after my brother.
  • Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Woo, I spent a long time editing chipsets today. I'm doing good progress, at this rate, my chapter would be done before the deadline.

Awesome.

Also rofl.
0-------0
|Belross|
0-------0
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Very nice, RPG.
Haha, Shaun. :D

I think we should throw in a bunch of little CG1/2 easter eggs like that.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
As long as no one does the cheese thing again. It was kinda lame in cg2. Unless its something like, the cheese grows legs and becomes a British secret agent and there's a short spoof of Die Another Day. That would be cool. Though its a bit too random for this game. So no one do that.

In short, no one do the cheese thing.
  • Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
In my part, a river of cheese is going to burst forth from a mysterious underground reservoir. It floods nearby towns and the only way to save the day is for the heroes to bake batches of gigantic nacho chips to scoop up the cheese and feed to the poor.
0-------0
|Belross|
0-------0
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Nacho chips....

Mexicans eat nachos.....

okay, but only if you have an incredibly racist part about Mexicans in there too.
  • Lord of Hotmogs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I'm done, just sent my chapter to Belross. :)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Holy shit, did I really write that in my previous post?

btw, gj rpg