Puzzle Chain Game 4 ideas~ (Read 3046 times)

• Butt Chin ^^@/\/
  • Group: Member
I will proabally help with chain game four, but I dont have any good ideas.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I'm about to give up because there is no way we will all agree on something. We all have different opinions and we all want something different. Someone has to step up, take charge, and introduce a concept to follow even if not everyone likes it.

We could, you know, have a vote. Right now it seems to be a tossup between futuristic and dungeon crawl.

I propose this ingenious third option;
A horizontal dungeon crawl set in a major city! Most dungeon crawls see you moving down... down... down... until you reach the bottom floor. Each level gets harder and has higher rewards, right? Why not have it so that each chapter unveils more and more of a big, futuristic city to the player? Each new area could have its own minigames and enemies, as well as the occasional NPC, but there wouldn't be much of a plotline past the backstory and the occasion NPC's quest, or something.

My idea for the backstory would be some virus-ravaged city where the last few inhabitants cling to life, and the player must make his way through the various parts of the city (outskirts, ghettoes, industrial district, marketplaces and stuff) to get to the rich pharmacom controlled area where the cure for the virus is. The evil corp. is sending more and more guys to stop him as he gets closer. We could work on the story as we progress, or if people REALLY don't want a story (for fear it will become to tedious) then we could just establish together before we begin and then make our parts.

What do you guys think?
The Misadventures of Crimebot
  • No, it doesn't stand for anything.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I think we should make a public poll for the numerous options suggested in this topic. Letting tons of members vote on what style the next Chain Game would be would REALLY add to the whole "chain" part of the name, since the community as a whole would sort of contribute to the direction of the game.

I am not saying to make a poll RIGHT NOW or anything, but in like... a month or something, just to let CG3 sink in and be forgotten.
  • Gamemaker > Rm2k
  • PipPipPipPip
Sounds like a good idea to me Kaempfer. Yeah, a poll is probably the way to go, but seriously...

SOMEONE IS GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE THE LEAD HERE. Otherwise it's simply not going to work.
<Drule> I can play the didgeridoo actually
<Drule> some guy on the street taught me
<Drule> come to think of it
<Drule> it was pretty gross how I played on his didgeridoo

so wrong...
Well I thought RPG was because he started the whole topic, but he doesn't really seem to care.

I'll help keep it running, like making sure it gets to who it should on time and all that, but I don't think I'd want to take care of the entire game.
  • Call me Fid, just Fid.
  • Pip
We have these options:

Themes:
1. School/College
2. Dungeon crawler
3. Traditional RPG

Setting:
1. Medieval
2. Current
3. Futuristic
4. Mixed

I think we all agree on a futuristic setting but what about the theme? I can take care of the project's main organization after we select a theme. Trust me that I wouldn't offer myself if I had any doubt there was something I couldn't do. (I can show you my work in progress if you want a proof of my skills) Plus I currently have the time and the motivation to get this going, keyword being time, in the end its aaaaaall about time. =P
Decide on a theme and I'll get everything going.
Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 02:07:10 am by Mirthless
Standing up for what I believe in, even if it means standing alone.
  • Music Creator
  • PipPip
How about every person makes their own custom battle system where possible?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Everyone should make their own CBS in two weeks? I don't think complicating the matter is a great idea, to be honest. There is nothing wrong with the DBS if it is used cleverly and sparingly, I don't think.

It seems to be nobody has a real problem with it being a futuristic game, and the only toss-up question is how to handle the unfolding of the storyline to keep it from getting bogged down by silliness. I would still prefer a traditional RPG, but a hybrid between the two (like I suggested) seems to be far and away the best way to keep everyone happy and to keep the game's story/progress moving at a fast clip.

And seriously, Mirthless, if you suggest "school/college" one more time, I am going to stop reading your posts. Not everyone loves animes and going to magical wonder schools, and having played Warcraft 3 for so long and seeing all the people who wanted to make "school/collage(sic)" themed RP games on the USEast server really, really soured me to the whole thing. I don't understand the attraction in the slightest.

I say RPG (or possibly URPC) should make a poll topic decided which system we should use; straight dungeon crawl, traditional RPG setup, or a hybrid of the two (dungeon crawl with story, really). We could start the ball rolling with it, at least.
  • Mystery Solving Musician
  • PipPipPipPip
I actually like the way CG2 handled the DBS. It was fun and fast and the battle animations were cool.

I'm fine with the futuristic setting. It's great that CG is taking a different direction with the setting. I'd also encourage everyone to be a little creative too. Futuristic doesn't necessarily mean a world full of neon lights and spaceships. You could probably insert a group of cave dwelling people into the setting for example.
Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 08:59:36 pm by Ohlichris
  • Call me Fid, just Fid.
  • Pip
Well Kaempfer, there's a saying in Spanish that goes sort of like... "For the tastes, colors were made." The fact that you don't like school/college themes doesn't mean everyone completely hates it and doesn't make me neither an ignorant nor a person with bad taste. I bet you my programmer's hands that I can make a school/college themed game you would like. What if I said "Let's make it about a blue hedgehog that runs really fast." or "The main character should be a fat plumber that jumps high." Sound like shitty ideas to you? Good things come from turning the absurd into the extraordinary.

I know taking a step forward with nothing but words makes me seem selfish, conceited and self-centered but trust me if I was any of that I wouldn't be here trying to set this thing in motion. I would rather be working on my own game. I want to be more involved in the overall course of the project and do my best to deliver a top-notch Chain Game. I want to do this because I know I can, it's not just a mere whim. I haven't wasted all this time learning about programming, pixel art and game making overall (including taking part in CG2 & CG3) to not burn my skills to their maximum potential. I want the RPG Maker community to stay strong and I believe a good Chain Game could help this cause if even only a little. As conceited as my posts look, I'm doing this for the community, not for myself. I don't gain anything by doing this, anything but the satisfaction from knowing that the community can put together the best Chain Game to date.

Seems like most people here agree on a dungeon crawler. The story doesn't have to be deep and through as long as it is concise but definitively there should be some story. I would say "let's go with this idea (futuristic dungeon crawler) because most people HERE (on this topic) seem to agree", however we aren't even 1% of the community so a poll should be made.
Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:46:44 pm by Mirthless
  • some sort of land-cow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
I think that the next chain game should be a platformer, and it be non-linear similar in structure to megaman and that each participant then designs a level and a boss. There should be a resource pool to maintain graphical consistency.

Most RPGs are kinda lame, imo.
outerspacepotatoman
Okay, here is what I think we should do before thinking of making a poll. We all answer these two questions to get an idea of where everyone stands.

1. Would you want to take part in Chain Game 3?
2. What kind of theme would you like to play? (or, what theme are you pitching in this topic?)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
@UPRC: Chain Game 4* Do you mean we should all list our ideas here, or in a new metatopic? If here, then yes I would like to be involved and I would want futuristic game, cyberpunk preferably.

@Blitzen, not everyone knows how to make platformer levels, whereas most people can manage to make an RM2k3 map.

@Mirthless: I am not saying that it's not alright for you to like school based games, but there are a lot of people who don't like them, including me. And I really don't like them! I have seen them pop up all over the internet, and they are always the same exact thing. Maybe you should make a school game that doesn't suck and show me up, and then make something else for the CG. :drwily:
  • ?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I will answer here!

I would love to be involved in CG4. :3 I'm with Kaempfer in suggesting the cyber-punk, futuristic sorta feel. I think we should just go for a traditional RPG, honestly. It's the easiest platform to learn, meaning that pretty much everyone can take part and put in their best, and it's worked in the past. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • No that isn't me in the avatar!
  • PipPipPipPip
I vote for comedy. Maybe not in the "WACKY RANDOM NONSENSICAL" comedy, but atleast a game that doesn't take itself seriously.
Below are things I've taken part to create:

Channel Changer 1-3 Complete
Easy Mac Complete
Easy Mac 2
Last Legend

www.myspace.com/tylermiremusic
  • Mystery Solving Musician
  • PipPipPipPip
I would like to take part in CG4. Even if I'll only get to do mapping.

Dungeon Crawler (with story) seems to be the easiest and most simple to do. Hope people are going to be a little creative with the setting and other aspects.
  • Gamemaker > Rm2k
  • PipPipPipPip
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But it is broken! Chain Game 3 got NO RECEPTION WHATSOEVER from the community. I don't really want to use my resources on a project that will just be overlooked after its release.
<Drule> I can play the didgeridoo actually
<Drule> some guy on the street taught me
<Drule> come to think of it
<Drule> it was pretty gross how I played on his didgeridoo

so wrong...
  • PipPipPipPip
But it is broken! Chain Game 3 got NO RECEPTION WHATSOEVER from the community. I don't really want to use my resources on a project that will just be overlooked after its release.

Might have been an issue with no knowing about it and it taking so damn long.

Easy Mac Complete
Easy Mac 2
Last Legend

• Call me Fid, just Fid.
  • Pip
Honestly, I liked CG2 way more than CG3. CG3 was waaaaaaay too cliché and inconsistent plus the battles sucked more than CG2's. CG2 was also longer and done in less time... ._.
I say lets try out a futuristic dungeon crawler. It can start from a team trying to infiltrate a building starting from the sewer and ending at the rooftop. (Just throwing out wild ideas here)
  • PipPipPipPip
I say no pre-planned plot. The fun of the game is to go off of what the first chapter establishes.

Easy Mac Complete
Easy Mac 2
Last Legend