News Mini-Games and things to break up the monotony (Read 759 times)

• ?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I am going to get in early on this one.

I honestly think that any of you who make a chapter in this game should make a mini-game of some sort. DP's was practically riddled with them, which was fantastic, and it really broke up the monotony of being just another RM game. For instance, my chapter includes a few little ABS mini-games that aren't by any means hard or shit or anything (maybe the second descriptive there), but it really breaks up the boring dungeon crawl/town thing.

I dunno, I think we should make it a rule to include at least ONE mini-game or puzzle or something in each chapter. It would be a nice touch. You don't even have to be fantastic at coding! I'm not suggesting everyone puts in a bloody ABS or something, but yeah. Thoughts?
  • I Love Myself
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Sounds like a plan to me :) Even though I don't officially have a part yet, if in the future, I do get one, I'd be sure to include some :)
[insert something here]
  • No that isn't me in the avatar!
  • PipPipPipPip
Well the rule is you have to get gameplay in without using Default Battles, so I'm assuming most people are going to have to figure other ways around that which will more likely include "minigames" as you put it.
Below are things I've taken part to create:

Channel Changer 1-3 Complete
Easy Mac Complete
Easy Mac 2
Last Legend

www.myspace.com/tylermiremusic
  • ?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Yeah Erave, I knew that but I figured some people might just fill it with dungeon crawling/lots of dialogue/wandering around a town, stuff like that. A mini-game makes things fun!
  • Ryoko's future hubby
  • PipPipPipPip
I must suck really bad cuz it took me forever to playtest the first 3 chapters before I started working on mine cuz the 'minigames' are H.A.R.D. lol
Peace and Love
  • Gamemaker > Rm2k
  • PipPipPipPip
I must suck really bad cuz it took me forever to playtest the first 3 chapters before I started working on mine cuz the 'minigames' are H.A.R.D. lol

I know the first one in Christophomicus' chapter seemed pretty difficult to me. The last parts of Ohlichris' chapter were pretty hard too (what's up with all thse chris' and their hard minigames :fogetnaughty:​). I'm not saying they were too hard though.

Remember that easy minigames are just as cool as hard ones! As long as they're fun to play, I'd rather have too easy than too hard minigames. If you think one your minigame is turning out to be a bit too hard for the average player, give him an alternative route or an option to skip the minigame. Or maybe have him choose between two minigames, a hard one or an easy one. You could also have the player choose the difficulty for the minigame.
<Drule> I can play the didgeridoo actually
<Drule> some guy on the street taught me
<Drule> come to think of it
<Drule> it was pretty gross how I played on his didgeridoo

so wrong...
  • Mystery Solving Musician
  • PipPipPipPip
Your chapter was pretty hard too DP, though that made the minigames even more fun.
  • ?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
See now, DP's was well coded, with a nice splash of challenge.

...mine was just horribly coded. xD I really need to learn how to code a better ABS (DP, if you want me to fix it sometime before the next dude takes it, it'll take me an hour tops to make it better).