Attention What did working on Chain Game 4 (or any others) teach you? (Read 220 times)

• I Love Myself
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Alright, since Erave is working on the final chapter, I believe it is time to share your thoughts about what Chain Game 4 has taught you. This discussion is generally only valid to those who actually worked on CG4, but if CG1-3 taught you anything, you can post that here as well.

As for me, before Chain Game 4, I had the warped perception that RPGs without random battles or a traditional battle system of some kind were just "interactive novels". How wrong was I. Due to the limitation of no DBS and random battles, I worked hard to come up with alternatives, even CBSs as well. As you will see in my chapter, I had several ideas that I thought would be good, and four of the five "sub-chapters" in my chapter involved some sort of mini-game. Beforehand, i had several mini-games planned, but was beaten to the punch in most instances (the using multiple characters thing in Chapter 5 (give or take) and Nessiah's game). I had expanded on Nessiah's mini-game by making a full-fledged "battle system" out of it, if you will. I had tweaked (removing the pre-turn hint for instance except for the last battle of the scenario where it is expanded on) the mini-game to be more biased in one attack's favor. (i.e. ) I didn't want it to seem as a cheap knock-off of Nessiah's original work, as my system was coded from scratch.

Anyways, pushing my creativity to its limits, I created some quirky mini-games. I won't spoil these, but I believe them to be quite original. :)

Sorry to ramble on like that, but to make long story short, I learned how to go above and beyond the standards and consistencies of your garden-variety run-of-the-mill RPG. Please discuss, I would like to hear from all of you.
[insert something here]
  • Mini-Game Mage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
That its awful trying to complete a multi-part chapter with limited hours D:
  • Gamemaker > Rm2k
  • PipPipPipPip
Finishing up Chain Game 3 taught me a lot. Working on 4, not that much. I mostly recycled some puzzles I had previously used in Enter the Cave or CG3. I tried to focus more on graphics and the overall feeling this time.

Still, both chain games were a positive experience!
<Drule> I can play the didgeridoo actually
<Drule> some guy on the street taught me
<Drule> come to think of it
<Drule> it was pretty gross how I played on his didgeridoo

so wrong...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
That its awful trying to complete a multi-part chapter with limited hours D:

That it's awful completing Medieve's chapter for him and then starting mine! Mostly because then my title is in a really weird place and I had to use an image for it and not a cool separate map with loads of humourous charsets =(

But it's cool bro

we cool
The Misadventures of Crimebot
  • I Love Myself
  • PipPipPipPipPip
LOL, no offense, Medieve, your chapter was kinda awkward, but it wasn't the worst (I'm looking at you, RPG :fogetgasp:​), by any means. Kaempfer, on the other hand, easily had one of my top three favorite chapters. It really was a treat and an advantage working from such a strong point in the series, expecially since if it weren't for the strong chapter you provided, my chapter would've been even worse than it is now.
[insert something here]
  • Lord of Hotmogs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Some people can't appreciate real art...
  • I Love Myself
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Whatever you say...  :fogetbackflip:
[insert something here]
  • So-Called Manga Artist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Medieve's chapter was pretty ok imo.
The thing I kinda learned is that school sucks even more :|
  • I Love Myself
  • PipPipPipPipPip