Games Inside the Gamer's Studio #14: Ocean's Dream (Read 628 times)

• Warning: Harsh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I open my eyes. Nothing but deserted shoreline. All my crew is dead. Stuck... on this strange isle. Nothing to do but walk so I start plodding along the coast. Maybe there's someone near. After half an hour of walking, I see a figure in the distance. A slim womanly figure. I get closer to her. I can see a little more of her now. She has supple breasts and firm thighs. Her eyes are big and blue... like the ocean. Was I dreaming? She looked like the woman of my dreams. Maybe she was a dream from the ocean. An Ocean's Dream. I approached her... trying not to startle her...

An interview by Strangeluv

♥ INTERVIEW WITH OCEAN'S DREAM ♥

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed,
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The S.S. Misao would be lost, the S.S. Misao would be lost.

The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle
With Gilli-game
The Ripper too,
The Misaoaire
And his wife,
The hype-r star
The Chipsetter and Iaman,
Here on Gilli-game's Isle.

I open my eyes. Nothing but deserted shoreline. All my crew is dead. Stuck... on this strange isle. Nothing to do but walk so I start plodding along the coast. Maybe there's someone near.

After half an hour of walking, I see a figure in the distance. A slim womanly figure. I get closer to her. I can see a little more of her now. She has supple breasts and firm thighs. Her eyes are big and blue... like the ocean. Was I dreaming? She looked like the woman of my dreams. Maybe she was a dream from the ocean. An Ocean's Dream.

I approached her... trying not to startle her...

SL:Excuse me, ma'am?

She gasps loudly and her breasts jump, throwing down her coconut milk.

SL:Sorry if I startled you...

Ocean:  Who are you?!

SL:My name is Strangeluv... my ship crashed on the shores of this island. Do you have a telephone around here?

Her grassy skirt flutters in the seabreeze.

Ocean:  Yes... but someone's using it right now...

I see this as an opportunity to get to know this enchantress...

SL:How about we chat for a bit by the time? Heh. How about you tell me a little about yourself?

Ocean:  Ah. Well, I'm 23 years old, originally from in New York, studying Studio Art/Digital art in university.

I was always interested in making games. I'd write Word documents and stuff about my game ideas in my teenage years. And when I was 16, my brother told me about RPG Maker 2000. So I used that, and it continued from there!

SL: Wow, is that so? *scratches the back of my head* What would you say inspired you?

Ocean: The Early Final Fantasies were a big inspiration for me back then. Maybe Final Fantasy 1, 6 and 7. Right now, it's the early Mana games, from Final Fantasy Adventure to Legend of Mana. I particularly like Seiken Densetsu 3.

My inspirations are different depending on what I'm working on, though. For pixel art, yeah, the Mana games. For music, I like Jazz, World, and yeah, some anime music too.

SL: Games, huh? I know a couple of games I'd like to play with you heh *dumb smile* Nevermind that. Well... tell me what's important when planning these games.

Ocean: First, the gameplay. I'd like it to be fun to play with the least amount of annoyances as possible. With the plot, not many games have particularly impressive plots, but at least something light hearted or that makes you wonder what's coming up next is fine! Having it look good is nice, but that's not something I'd put priority to over gameplay.

SL: I'm very interested. I want to know more. Tell me about games you like... I want to know what makes you tingle.

Ocean:  That's a hard one. I don't know how many people are familiar with "Cave Story" but I'll use that. While platformers aren't necessarily my favorite genre, it was really well done. I can't imagine the amount of work that went into it. It's a shame that I can't beat the last boss, but otherwise, it's quite enjoyable.

The graphics, although simple, were nice. The music fit right in. There were different types of enemies/obstacles, and I thought the levels on the guns was neat. Instead of gaining the Experience to level up your character, it'd go towards your weapon and alter it. I thought that was an interesting idea.

SL: That's very fascinating... so... I want to know about your games now...

Ocean: Ah, yes. I'd say most of my projects were made back when I was in High school. I guess I had a bit too much free time back then, even having a part time job. "Island Sky" is one of those I made back then. For right now, I'm working on "Paradise Blue" still. I think it's been a little less than a year since I released the demo. I had a lot of other projects but sadly Island Sky was the only one I backed up, so I lost them.

SL: I love a creative woman. I love a woman's mind. I'm creative too... but let's hear more about you first...

Ocean: Well, Island Sky was a game I started in 2002. At first, what interested me most about working on it was the overworld and the battle system, but it's in a really easy difficulty. The plot wasn't much. It's really simple. The characters are on vacation and trying to enjoy themselves on the beach and a wave comes up and they have to escape. Turns out it was caused by a fat guy diving in. Then, they decide to instead go somewhere else to relax.

"Island Sky", showing off its quirky style

The characters are all based on people I knew back then. I was trying to convey the personalities of my friends into them. The "villains" are based on idiots, and find some way to distract the characters, whether causing earthquakes by their loud voices or putting them to sleep by being boring. It wasn't meant to be a serious story.

Dramatized illustration of Island Sky plot

Paradise Blue was something I really didn't plan to make at first. I was just editing one of Ephiam's old school games and took a liking to it. It started out as just the class changing system (similar to FF5), then I decided to j ust continue the game out of that. The systems are all heavily based on FF1 and 5. So yeah, I guess in a way it's an FF fangame.

Delicious retroness in Paradise Blue

The plot to this isn't really all that in depth either. I haven't gotten around to explaining it in the demo, but basically there are 2 groups fighting for the throne. The characters actually doing the fighting are just caught in it, as they are mercenaries and hired to fight.

Ocean taking it back, way back

SL: *steeples fingers on chin* So if I were to stay here and make games with you... *ahem*.... make a game, what advice would you have for me? *chuckle*

Ocean: If it can be helped, I'd avoid stereotypical main characters, and saving the world stories. I think it's a good idea to take more from your personal experiences. Like, basing characters on the people you know or basing locations on places you've been to.

That, and some experimentation. I've found some interesting stories/ideas by looking at Mayan mythologies, so doing some reading is good too. Then I'd say to just play a few games and take a look at how they do things, even if it's not RPG's. Like I've noticed in Mario 64 how taking one star may alter the environment and make it possible to get the next star. That way, the player isn't just in the world, but affecting it too.

Ocean: I think the person's finished using the phone now.

SL: Screw that! I'm staying here with you to make some games!

No resources, no tutorials, no Phylomortis,
Not a single luxury,
Like RTP Crusoe,
As primitive as can be.

So join us here each week my friends,
You're sure to get a smile,
From these stranded castaways,
Here on "Gilligame's Isle."

I managed to snap a photo of Ocean's Dream... there it is...

Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 06:29:51 am by GZ
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Lucky SL didn't touch her :ssj:​, Oceans Dream is my girlfriend . (I was the one using the fone at the time).

Sorry Nessiah, but Ocean is the girl for me.
Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 01:02:39 am by Gutts
  • HEEEEERRRREEE'S JOHNNY!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Great chipsets!   :naughty:
Me and Tom Under the Boardwalk ... there is so much fun to have under the boardwalk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Im suffering a bit of gender confusion now because everyone keeps saying different things about Ocean...

I like this interview though, kept me occupied on my train ride to work. :)
  • It's that guy that nobody likes!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
So...Strangeluv? Is Ocean really a girl? Or were you just hallucinating on that island?  :naughty:

Ocean is one of the top ten members around here in my mind. I would love to list the rest, but then...that wouldn't be fun wouldn't it?  :gwa:

Happy 1st Anniversary - MONOPOLO!
Released April 2nd, 2009 - Right Here, On GW!

• So-Called Manga Artist
Lucky SL didn't touch her :ssj:​, Oceans Dream is my girlfriend . (I was the one using the fone at the time).

What! lies and deceit, I was the one using that phone, Ocean is mine!! *hiss*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I would pay to see that fight.  :laugh:

UFC 89.  :fogetbackflip:

• Will you walk the realms of Chaos with me?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
S4D, look at the last pic man. She's a girl ok. *_*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
So...Ocean is Haruhi?  :shocking:

Even more incredible!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
Well, to kill the fun and be serious (mainly because I'm sleepy), I'm 24 now (Must have been interviewed before my birthday), and I'm a guy. Strangeluv just wanted to add some fun into the interview, which I don't mind at all.
http://dev.oceansdream.net
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Okay, so Nessiah was right back all that time ago when she told me that you were a dude! ^^

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Well, to kill the fun and be serious (mainly because I'm sleepy), I'm 24 now (Must have been interviewed before my birthday), and I'm a guy. Strangeluv just wanted to add some fun into the interview, which I don't mind at all.

It needed to be done.
Oh Carius.... Poor misguided, deluded Carius....  :rolleyes: