Site community post Lets play: Dwarf Fortress! [community] (Read 3861 times)

• Urban Spaceman
  • PipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Apparently "Man-o-War aint doing shit", so I've been told to take over. But! I have work Sunday and Monday, so it will be Monday night/Tuesday before I will be able to pass on the game to someone else.
DRINK!!
  • Group: Guest
That's cool buddy, you've got a week
  • Urban Spaceman
  • PipPip
Sorry guys! I have to cover at work for someone else, which means I wont be able to play until Friday/Saturday. If someone else wants to take my turn then I don't mind, otherwise I will be playing by Saturday at the latest.
DRINK!!
Tha's cool, as long as it's done by the weekend I suppose
  • Lvl 4 Female Dark Elf Blademage
  • Pip
I just got this, I like it (even if it is at times fuckstratingly complex and hard to figure out). But when I try to extract the graphical version, Windows Explorer crashes. Anyone know what the hell that's about?

Edit: is there any way I can just get the graphical data and put it in the folder somewhere to make it work? I have a feeling this would be much easier. I've tried five times now to extract the damn thing.
Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 06:06:10 am by Murex Brandaris

magazine i write for
Nope, it basically comes 'as is' with the graphical version. You could try downloading mine/frankie's save instead? Our 'saves' include the entire game zipped up, so maybe that'll work.
  • Pip
Actually, I don't think it's DF specifically. I tried to unzip The Sewer Goblet right before going to bed last night and it did the same thing. I eventually got it to work. I don't know is there some kind of extracting limit on Windows Vista?

magazine i write for
You using winrar? If not, why not?
  • Comrade!
  • Group: Member
Oh damn, I love Dwarf Fortress. With the new version being worked on, I've been looking for an excuse to play without getting too involved, and a year of a bloodline game sounds perfect.

Can I get in on this?
  • Pip
You using winrar? If not, why not?

Shared computer, trying not to put too much shit on here so my dad doesn't freak out because he's retardedly paranoid with downloads. DF is okay because it doesn't show up as an installed program. I just recently had an opportunity to hop on his screen and lift the downloads filter because I couldn't even get PICTURES.

But yeah that is the sum of it. Also this game makes my brain hurt with its complexity. I can't even figure out how to mine things!

magazine i write for
read the wiki article 'your first fortress' (it should be linked on the main index). it helps, a LOT (although as I tell many people: it's good STARTER advice, it's definately not the 'best' way)

Also what's up yugi? We've not heard from you yet!
Oh, I've also added you in CK. (nice initials btw)
  • Halfest of the Lings.
After a shitloade of training, a small halfling comes into the room.

"Count me in" he says as he notices a mandrill slowly approaching him from the behind...

TO NOT BE CONTUVRED
Excuse my poor english >.
  • One of many...
  • Pip
This is actually a pretty fun game, but it is an incredible pain to learn all the things. I've been playing this for the last week or so and haven't lost once. Maybe I'm just that good, I don't know, but if you don't mind me potentially screwing up the entire fortress, you can count me in.

Also, I got a few questions:
- How do I get my Trader to go do her job at the depot? Sometimes when the liaison comes she spends the whole time 'Conducting Meetings' with him and then the caravan leaves. I do the normal required things, but sometimes she just doesn't bother.
- Is there any way to remove zones, because pressing x on them does nothing.
- How do I get the rest of my animals in the pit? As far as I know I've selected all of them to be thrown in, but when about half are in the pit the dwarfs just ignore the rest (and the pit still says 'Not Full').
- What is the purpose of fortress guards? So far all they've done is as soon as enemy appears, no matter where they are they drop what they're doing and rush single file into battle. Being no more then civilians, they were met with a swift death and managed to depress most of my military to the point where a few went insane/melancholy and others threw tantrums.
Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:39:00 pm by InvaderZim
  • Comrade!
It's generally a good idea to disable all your Trader's jobs temporarily until you're finished dealing with the merchants. That'll let them finish their meetings more quickly. You might want to assign a new trader, to make sure they don't have any other administrative responsibilities (manager, record keeper, stuff like that). If you're worried about not getting the values of what you're trading, just make a shitton of stone crafts and estimate. Be very generous just in case you're wrong. That'll give them the experience to figure out what stuff is worth again.

To remove zones, press x, then use Enter to draw a square as you would making to make the zones. Press x again when you're done.

I've never dealt much with animals beyond butchering and training them, sorry.

Fortress guards are just like your police, basically. They'll beat dwarves who don't appease the nobles, and are generally useless. You want them to be as underequipped as possible just so your "criminal" dwarves who are getting a beating for missing a production deadline aren't killed. They're just there to make nobles happy. What I do is conscript any dwarf with a major injury they're not likely to recover from into the fortress guard, as no one cares whether they're able bodied or not. As long as they fill the ranks, the nobles will be satisfied.
They'll only give a beating to criminals if you don't have a cell to put them in, so you actually want them heavily armed and armoured...and just have enough free jails. (generally like 1 for every 10 dwarves, or 1 for every 5 if you're paranoid/couldn't give a shit about mandates).

Also they're not civilians at all. They work exactly like the military, except you can't order them. If they're not punishing crime/fighting enemies they'll train in the barracks (and become VERY good VERY quickly, particularly at wrestling). They have a habit of suffocating each other in training though.
  • One of many...
  • Pip
Well yea, but my problem is them stupidly rushing into combat from great distances, and then only making things worse. Anyway I can prevent that?
Station them in a room as military, lock the door, reactive them as fortress guard. Unlock door when siege/whatever is over (make sure they have beds and food/water supply, otherwise they MIGHT die)
  • Comrade!
I haven't bothered with armour much in my current fortress as I don't have any magma, and I just cut down all my trees. I managed to find an underground river, though, so I started a massive tree farm that'll pay off in a few years. Once I get my charcoal supplies running, I'll have plenty of good steel.

Until then, my 20 or so champion wrestlers have been strangling the goblins just fine.

Still, it'd be nicer to watch them swing hammers proper dwarf-like.
Jeeza this is two in a row! Yugi if you don't reply to this today I'm gonna have to pass this onto the next person :(