Demo [ALPHA] The Real Texas - New (Dec 4) Video Dev Blog (Read 1364 times)

• Group: Member
*** EDIT: I've made a new video dev blog, so I thought I would update this thread. Current alpha testing round is done, I need to get a certain amount put into the game before I do another round of testing. Thanks everybody for the awesome feedback and testing! ***

It's an action/adventure RPG with a focus on exploration. This is an early but polished alpha, you will play through and end up at a screen that says (more or less) "END OF DEMO".

FULL DISCLOSURE: The game records gameplay data and sends it to me online so I can see what's working and what isn't!

If you want to give it a try, please just reply here, email me at [email protected] or PM me and I will send you the link.

Thank you!

Hopefully this post isn't too out-of-place or unwelcome here. =)

Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:20:58 am by PsySal
  • None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I want to test it

Also this better not have a keylogger or else you'll have access to all my bank accounts
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
It logs everything you do in the game, but nothing you do outside of the game. It doesn't transmit any information about your system and there's nothing that runs in the background, and no auto-updater.

You can choose to enter your email address or not, if you don't enter your email address it's essentially anonymous except that IP addresses are recorded.
  • None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I'm really paranoid about it recording stuff and transmitting it, I bet everyone else would be too

Although looking at the blog makes me think it's legit so I'll try to test it today
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
It's ok, I do understand. That's why I'm so up front about it!

It's a really important part of the alpha program; volunteered feedback is immensely useful but usually you only get that from people who like the game. By collecting data from everyone I can see users who get stuck or frustrated, which is the biggest problem to tackle as a game designer. As well, the data it collects is way more detailed than any user could spend time telling me, for instance I can see if people are trying certain actions and decide to implement them.

However! I might make the whole thing optional if I get enough feedback in that direction.
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
holy shit judging from title graphics and description alone this looks really intriguing. i am pretty busy but will consider 110% about testing this.
Hey everyone, I made a game dev video. I'm super hard at work at this game, there has been a lot added since the previous alpha but it's not quite ready for another release. I want to make a certain milestone before doing that. Meantime you can laugh at me, either directly at my dry wit or indirectly at my attempt:

Whew, okay! Another new gameplay video:

Thanks for the feedback guys, I know this isn't the normal type of game for this forum (except, it is definitely something of an RPG) but I really do appreciate all the encouragement and replies that I get.
  • Worthless Protoplasm
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
this is p much the only indie game not for rpg/game maker that doesn't make me feel dirty inside
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

That... is awesome. I'm not sure what you mean by it, but I'm glad I think. =)
  • Worthless Protoplasm
well it's seemed like every indie game that I've seen so far is either like oh god look at my incredible art style lookatit or retro throwback nostalgia oldschool HALCYON lo-fi chip consolecore. They could very well be good games when you actually sit down and play them but I figure it's compensating with gfx

this looks like, it has incredible style but it feels like INCIDENTAL style. Like when you would pick up an old playstation game and some things might've been conscious design choices some of them might've been working around the graphics engine but it was just so exotic like most indie games are yeah it's pretty but with those games I AGREE too much with the style (god I hope that makes sense) how can you find something interesting if it's already like agreed on unanimously in some subconscious way

Edit: or the game designer is trying too hard to impress me. something like that

Edit: Also Cave Story has a feel like it just HAPPENED. It might've had a lot of tlc and being anal about every last detail about the game but it doesn't try to smooth out everything/color-correct/etc. The GUI is really one of the most ugly things on earth but it also doesn't try to have this incredibly glossy look like IT'S WORTHLESS IF I DON'T FEEL LIKE I COULD REFLECT MY ASS IN IT in the same theme hard/rough surfaces actually look like they would be that way. oh god I have to have wood chips on every surface my child walks on also when they play games I don't want them to even consider the thought that objects may have strange textures

totally unintentional but actually this is like your game too. it's in this weird minimalistic style but somehow it feels RUGGED waits for tumbleweed to blow by

Edit: feng shui was also invented by Chinese obsessive-compulsive paranoid schizophrenics in the year 700 BC oh god sharp surfaces they're coming to get me

Edit: Also whatever graphic design philosophy you have silver4donuts is like the antichrist of it

Edit: seriously whoever invented feng shui is a huge pussy

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HKBuildingFengshui.jpg ahahaha fuck this building
Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:17:48 am by Ragnar

Aha, thank you. To tell you the truth the art direction works like this:

1- Everything (more or less) has to geometrically be a cube.

This was a decision because I wanted to make a properly 3D game but knew that I would NOT be able to do complex geometry and make it work. So by choosing this limitation I actually liberate myself and am able to make better looking art.

2- Start with color, work from there.

I do a lot of color-swatching (though I've gotten better at it as things have gone along, naturally). So what happens when I am implementing the graphics is I think first of color, and just paint things in block art. I don't have time for lots of concept art, but concept COLORING has been really effective for me.

3- Keep it a bit sketchy.

Again, I'm trying to get across clearly enough what I'm representing but not go overboard with detail. So for instance with rocks, it's important that they are obviously rocks, and that they harmonize with the rest of the game. It's not important that the texture itself impresses you or looks especially good.

As you might imagine, these were very conscious choices that should let me get the biggest "bang for the buck". The net result should be that a) things are blocky but b) we forgive it because everything is attractive (coloring/harmonization is right on) and also we know what everything is.

Maybe that is why you get that feeling. I'm not intentionally trying to create a certain style; I just made decisions with respect to production because I more or less *had* to in order to create a game of the scope/scale that I wanted to, and still have it hold together.

Beyond this there are a few subtle things going on. For instance, one of the easiest ways for 3D games to look sloppy is to have different textured-pixels-size. So for instance, a largish object could have the texture stretched more than a smallish object. In Texas the textures almost always scale with the objects, so what happens is that all pixels look roughly the same size. Better, because the viewpoint is more or less fixed you never zoom in so close that the textures start to blur. It's a nice thing that actually contributes a lot to the overall harmony of the graphics. If you look e.g., at Ocarina of time you can see that they were fairly careful to do this as well, and it pays off. Other N64 games, in particular because a lot of developers were still learning 3D back then, did not yet understand this and it shows.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you're liking the look of the game! I work pretty hard on the artwork side of it but try to work like an ARTIST... =)
  • Worthless Protoplasm
but yeah that's sort of what I was saying

old games = this is obviously an apple the amount of detail in the artwork manages to convey that but we didn't go overboard

modern/pretty-looking 2d games (possibly flash) = THIS IS AN APPLE AND IT'S THE BEST APPLE EVER

computer/website icons scare me

http://www.cuenet.edu/Images/firefox.bmp must be as smooth/vibrant/glassy as possible if we fail everybody dies also fucking CONTINENTS do not have sharp edges hey I'm Asia fuck you I'm made of rock and shit I look like some cotton candy crap

also insert obvious sexual metaphor here  (smoothness/curviness etc.)

• Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
whoa this is actually real? PsySal thanks for interesting technical/theory stuff behind your work but honestly, i thought this was a SCAM of sort because your screenshots direct to god knows. why would you need to know input code is this a backport trojan...! and that sort of thing. i apologize.

but yeah like for example, i freaked out when i reliazed that the youtube video wasn't a embed but a link to the actual video. but i had already clicked the link so i was like 'whaaaaaaat !!!!! heck heck!!!scam!!' and shut down the browser ahhaha. lesson, don't scare people with pretend-youtubes!!
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
whoa what a cool guy! who would have known...? PsySal is a cool dude. this game looks really good dude. that propably doesn't mean a shit to you since you have lot of things to worry about but this game has promise. i'm sort of concerned about the story and uh world! shooting blowing killing etc etc yeah that's alright but there needs to be something else to the game to, for example, make me (Me - ME! bonzi buddy the brightest friend in the internet!) to keep playing a game. this is why Okami didn't work out in the end unlike the N4's Legend of Zeldas! the meaningless story and world with the bad scenario/area/world design made it a whole lot of notches worse than it's rival. actually i think the creators of Okami had no clue about what made the rival better, like they don't just get it or doesn't understand designing well-enough.

WHAT THE HELL EVER I MEAN WITH THIS. blargh baaaaaaaaarf VOMIT. VOMIT. sorry for rambling but yeah keep...keep up the good work chump...

EDIT i like how ragnar makes another point about what blows in modern day design and ponders aloud 'hmm i wonder why this is the case...' to which he gets an A4 - sized technical essay about HARMONY IN DESIGN and idk it's sort of funny because of the change but it's interesting in a way that i don't know if ragnar appriciates knowledge that is that technical! ramble ramble humble mumble...
Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 06:26:38 pm by bonzi_buddy
whoa this is actually real? PsySal thanks for interesting technical/theory stuff behind your work but honestly, i thought this was a SCAM of sort because your screenshots direct to god knows. why would you need to know input code is this a backport trojan...! and that sort of thing. i apologize.

Ahaha, sorry! It's no scam, I'm just a lone developer making a zelda/ultima6 influenced game...

but yeah like for example, i freaked out when i reliazed that the youtube video wasn't a embed but a link to the actual video. but i had already clicked the link so i was like 'whaaaaaaat !!!!! heck heck!!!scam!!' and shut down the browser ahhaha. lesson, don't scare people with pretend-youtubes!!

Ohh.. okay. I didn't know I could actually embed videos here, sorry. I usually post/hang out at tigsource.com and in the forums there you can't embed videos, so the "nicest" (maybe more correct would be "closest") thing to do is post an image of a youtube video that links to it.

re: The World, I'm trying to craft an interesting world and compelling story, without getting too serious about it. The videos are sort of... brief. =) I tried to keep them snappy so they don't go into too much depth. The game's definitely not some kind of stupid redneck take on Texas.

Anyhow I'll be sure to update here when I make more videos and stuff, feedback is definitely awesome. Also there is a list for alpha testing, if you want to be an alpha tester just PM me. A word of warning, if you're super excited for the game you might actually be happier NOT alpha testing, simply because the alphas are buggy, incomplete, and change drastically from week to week. Once you've played an alpha you'll be somewhat spoiled to the game, if that makes sense. But that's why I always need more alpha testers, because I need to see how the game plays for people when it's "fresh".

Peace!
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
aaaa a guy from tigsource?!? i had no diea. dirrhea. idea. but yeah it's alright, you indeed thought correctly. it's me i'm dumb! if you want to embed videos here in future just write [dohmtl][/dohmtl] with the embed code between (you can get that from the right bar of a youtube video).

thanks, i'll consider about this but obviously don't keep your hopes up, i cannot be depended upon...s-squall lionheart.... also like i said ages ago i was going to a civil service camp but i'm finished with it! it was real, yeah. i'll let you know if i'm up to this at some point.

Hah, awesome. Thank you I'll embed in the future! Just PM me if you wanna alpha test, otherwise no worried!
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
dude self-reminder, i need to comment more about this but i have just talked (read, blasted) 4 hours about life, music, social life and various of other easy issues to my little brother and i literally fell flat to floor over exhaustion 15 minutes ago. my throat is a desert and i'm ridicilously exhausted.
just saying that ridicilously under-the-radar for a bit too long time and consider implementing first person view to the game in a uh Ocarina of Time sense (behind a button, you stand still while viewing stuff etc). maybe no difference in levels makes this unattractive but throwing this out anyways. if it fucks up gameplay mechanics and/or is too hard to pull out then don't!!
Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:54:06 pm by bonzi_buddy