Topic: Is Mapping The Epitome Of Rm2k3 Games? (Read 5581 times)

• Group: Member
Haha, I remember when it all used to be about how much crap you could cram into a single map. The divine rule of three tiles, "looks too empty, add some random flowers and rocks"... good times, good times.
  • Group: Guest
Who cares dude. The only thing that matters is the overall quality of your game, and whether your mapping is going to contribute to that is up to you. No one here is going to be able to give you a definitie answer (or an interesting discussion on the subject).
  • lol
  • PipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
''Overall quality'' includes good mapping?
the infamous "Shakesbeer Translat0r" troll topique (14 pg.)
the infamous "Women Can't Make Games" troll topique (18 pg.)

• TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
''Overall quality'' includes good mapping?

overall quality means that one feature might be subpar but if the rest of it is good then it averages to good

also "GOOD MAPPING" entirely depends on the game, the wide open desert of shadow of the colossus was COMPLETELY FANTASTIC but in a different game it would probably be completely terrible, it only worked in that specific game

this is just like my argument in that rpg features thread it all depends on the specific game
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
also "GOOD MAPPING" entirely depends on the game, the wide open desert of shadow of the colossus was COMPLETELY FANTASTIC but in a different game it would probably be completely terrible, it only worked in that specific game

this is just like my argument in that rpg features thread it all depends on the specific game

It has everything to do with context. This is why it is hard to pin an objective basis for critiquing map design in games, regardless of the genre/engine.

A lot of what makes a map good involves the purpose it serves in the game. Sure it more or less involves going from Point A to Points B C or D, but you have to look into it deep enough to ask just what it is you want the player to be thinking about or focusing on during that time.

If a designer has a mind for such things, then he will have the knowledge to apply it to any aspect of the game he is designing. Not just maps. In regard to the question posed by the topic's title, I reckon that means I would be inclined to respond with a "no".

This topic really needs to have a poll in it.
Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 04:09:03 am by EvilDemonCreature
  • Star ninja and Québec random guy of GW
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Haha, I remember when it all used to be about how much crap you could cram into a single map. The divine rule of three tiles, "looks too empty, add some random flowers and rocks"... good times, good times.

Man, I never understood that. Go outside and check your lawn. Is every square foot of it different from the other?
Silly rpgmakers, fearing the void.
  • Music Creator
  • PipPip
A tip for mapping, Atma.

Try the style of not making things too wide open spaced. If you make things more like narrow paths (even in a wide open spaced place like a city) you can PACK detail into it and keep adding and adding and adding to one map.