Dev - Gamemaker Love and War: Act I (New Revamp Released!) (Read 6815 times)

• The LAWmaker
  • Group: Member

Wow, it's been a while and a half!

Figured I'd go ahead and post up the revamped version of Act I here, at the place where it all started...  :) (Well, sort of. I guess Salt World isn't exactly Gaming World?). The revamped version of Act I was released a little while ago - Here are some screenshots:

What's new? For starters, it now features a lot of voice acting! The script weighed in at 117 pages and over 1,600 lines. The new version also contains new artwork, redone mapwork, and new sidequests. I think it's a better and stronger project because of it, and for those who have downloaded past versions, I hope you'll agree!

Anyhoo, you can find our Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/loveandwartherpg

The LAW webpage here: http://antioch.snow-fall.com/law/

And here's a direct link to the download: http://antioch.snow-fall.com/law/downloads/Law1.exe

To any that check it out, I hope you enjoy, and I look forward to any feedback you might have!

---------------------------------
Act I: The Ties That Bind
(OLD POST)

STORY:

Love and War is a tale taking place on the world of Terra. Ever since the birth of the first nation-state on this world, Terra has been wracked by the scourge of war. Five nations managed to survive throughout the ages, yet it seemed as though with each passing day, humanity slipped closer and closer to self-annihilation.

One man made a difference, however. The youthful Emperor of the Zion Empire, Geraud Valtemond, was this man. A brilliant, honorable, and benevolent monarch, he managed to open the eyes of the leaders of the other nations, showing them what lay ahead if Terra persisted down this road. Through diplomacy and sheer force of will, Lord Geraud created the Commonwealth; an international governing body, comprised of democratically elected representatives and Peacekeeping Forces, which would forever make war a thing of the past.

Three centuries have elapsed, and people have forgotten the lessons of the past. Tensions are rising between nations once again, and it seems as if the Commonwealth is powerless to do anything but watch as its order crumbles. Can one man make a difference, once again?

Welcome to Love and War.

SCREENSHOTS:

DOWNLOADS:

http://antioch.snow-fall.com/law/downloads/Law1.zip

http://antioch.snow-fall.com/law/downloads/Law1-RTP.zip (If you don't have the RTP installed.)

Love and War page: http://antioch.snow-fall.com/law/

I hope you enjoy playing (or replaying) LAW!

EDIT:

Miniproject: C'est Lavie!

http://antioch.snow-fall.com/law/downloads/CestLavie.rar

C'est Lavie is a fifteen minute, 19MB RM2K cutscene starring Lavie and Ryan, two of the main characters from Love and War, my flagship RPG series. Apparently, Lavie has decided to try and change the nature of her relationship with Ryan. Little does she know her imagination may be her own worst enemy...

The reason for the rather large file size is because of my experiment with... voice acting! Please tell me what you think, should you feel so inclined; feedback will help me decide whether I should implement limited voice acting in LAW itself, or continue making the occasional side project, and so on.
Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 09:55:49 pm by Admiral Styles
  • Red Eyes Black Jacket
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
This game might not the prettiest game in existence, but it has more than enough substance to back it up.
  • Just Another Asian.
Very good game; I've spent more time with this game then with any other game... but then again that's not saying much.

Very much worth a download and a play.
post battle screenies i want to see how battle look please
  • The LAWmaker
Battle screenshots? Well, sure...

looking not bad i will try this.thanks for screenies
i loved it. 'nuff said. =)

can't wait for Act II... please tell me it'll be ready soon! =p
  • The LAWmaker
Very glad to hear it, Nonmollaremai. :)

Soon? Not soon enough, but I do hope it won't be too long.
  • Master of all things related to coconut steaks.
  • Pip
One man made a difference, however. The youthful Emperor of the Zion Empire, Geraud Valtemond, was this man. A brilliant, honorable, and benevolent monarch, he managed to open the eyes of the leaders of the other nations, showing them what lay ahead if Terra persisted down this road. Through diplomacy and sheer force of will, Lord Geraud created the Commonwealth; an international governing body, comprised of democratically elected representatives and Peacekeeping Forces, which would forever make war a thing of the past.

this game is propaganda for the zionist un conspiracy

It looks cool. I'll give it a download.
Yes, Valjean, you want a deal!
Shoot me now for all I care!
If you let me go, beware,
You'll still answer to Javert!.

Hammerblow-Oligarchy Isn't Free

Topic at: http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?topic=48914.0
Downloading now.  It seems you've gotten a bit of praise for the game, even despite the rtpish graphics.  In that case, that means the actual story material must be good.  I look forward to playing. 
~ My masterpiece is upon me. ~ 
~ Dragon Spirit, the game I was destined to make. ~
  • The LAWmaker
this game is propaganda for the zionist un conspiracy

Heh, that made me chuckle.  :)

Budowear: Cool. Hope you (and KellstErik) enjoy!
  • "Something is foul in the state of Denmark."
I have now finished this game and to sum it up:
I have rarely been so fond of an indie game. I am usually very hard on rating games because I find pretty many flaws in most games that really made me loose interest or fun. Well - not in Love and War: Act 1. Although I am not a fan of the animeish drawing of Lavie I am glad it was restricted to only a slight influence and she still looked non-cliched enough for me not to be annoyed in any way. This is the only thing I could write negative about this game (and this even is a very weak point and you shoulddn't be concerned about it) - and that's it.

I am kind of thankful for the thought you have obviously put into this game, its world and its characters - because those characters really felt alive and vivid. They never behave illogical (although I would surely not react in such a blunt way as the main character does but that's not something to rate, it's simply different)

There is only one question i didn't find a logical answer to
Since this contains a spoiler I'll hide it.

So - I really want to say "Thank you" because this is really one of the very few games that have vivid characters, a believable and vivid world - and it feels alive because people actually change. The characters develop / advance, not just in terms of strength. Plus - the way Levie was "included" later on was just sheer funny and I often really laughed out while playing this game because of some referances and such. If you keep this up and do another 400 chapters.. *grins*.

For those still undecided - don't be hesitating because of the story intro given here or the "Commonwealth" - it really blends into a fine setting (reminded me of "Aranum", the game) - but the really big "plus" points of this game are the storytelling and the excellent characters.

I really don't want to sound like a fanboy you know.. but this game really got me hooked and now I am damn curious about how this will continue. You got a great cliffhanger there... *grumbles*. :) Astonishing how long this game was for being "Act 1" - this makes me look forward towards future releases even more.

So marvellous that I had to write it down :)

PS: I loved the sublte, never annoying, parodies on real-life countries / state systems.

Edit:
Now I've also downloaded and "played" C'est Lavie and in fact this voice acting is much better than that of most commercial games because the persons doing the voice acting obviously didn't just "read it out" but really said it the same way one would say it in a real-life situation.

I say - do include this in future releases, seriously - the voices also fit the characters pretty well.
If you should need any kind of help with Love and War Chapter 2 in terms of creating lore for it or are in need of any creative input like for a scene, for a character or whatever I'd be up for that. Oh and if I ever manage to get my Shure SM58 micro back to woring order I'd also be offering voice acting for sure or would at least offer a "demo" of voice acting :)​.

This is really becoming great.
Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 12:08:21 pm by Unbeugsam

The truth is so hard to swallow when you're choking on your pride.
  • The LAWmaker
Well shucks, thanks muchly for your kind words, they're much appreciated. :) I'm just glad people are finding and playing it even today, I often marvel at that. It sounds rather silly to say, but I figure if even one person downloaded it, played it, and finished it with a smile on their face, it was worth all the work. Glad the cutscenes did not bug you too much, different things will not appeal to everybody the same way, of course. Ryan, blunt? That's an interesting way to look at it. :)

To answer your question:

Thanks for the offer of help, I'll keep it in mind, and receiving a voice demo from you would be fun. Hope to hear from you again, whenever Act II comes out. :)
Downloaded the game.... And I'm in the beginning. I already have to say this: WOOHOO! There's so much interaction everywhere my head almost popped out in joy! Oh, and nice tunes from Chrono Trigger ^_^. And the town.... so many houses, it actually feels like a town! I'm going to continue playing and seeing if this is as good as I think it is!
Downloaded the game.... And I'm in the beginning. I already have to say this: WOOHOO! There's so much interaction everywhere my head almost popped out in joy! Oh, and nice tunes from Chrono Trigger ^_^. And Davenport.... so many houses, it actually feels like a town! I'm going to continue playing and seeing if this is as good as I think it is!
This game is, like, so totally sexy.

LaW, huh, yeah! What is it good for? Absolutely everything!

^^

Now if only I can find out why I get no music when I play RPG Maker 2000 games... :(
  • Music Creator
  • PipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Nice work, suriously great cg art! I once said in the past that I would do music for your game, but alas for now I'm a bit busy.

I HAVE to see this C'est La Vi cutscene, have dial up so it'll take overnight.
This game is, like, so totally sexy.

LaW, huh, yeah! What is it good for? Absolutely everything!

^^

Now if only I can find out why I get no music when I play RPG Maker 2000 games... :(

Check your volume controls. Your SW Synth would be either muted or at 0 volume.

Sorry for that double post ><. I didn't do it, the network did.
  • The LAWmaker
I thought you had "quoted for truth", Strafe...  :happy:

Imadjinn: I thought the same thing as Strafe did, so hopefully that's the answer. If not, hmm... I guess it could mean that something's up with your sound card or something? Can you hear midis outside of RM games, for instance?
Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 07:22:34 pm by Admiral Styles
  • Music Creator
  • PipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
It's probably a muted SW Synth. It happens when you play an mp3 in Windows Media player and turn the volume down....well at least with me for some reason.