Tech Building a new Gaming Desktop Computer (Read 2209 times)

• salt world mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Not bad but the ram is a rip I could get 3 at new egg for 159.99$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227424&cm_re=OCZ-_-20-227-424-_-Product

Edit: Also it doesn't have GFX card. I would like to say New Egg has better deals on products.
new egg doesn't ship to canada though
  • Dead man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
new egg doesn't ship to canada though

http://www.newegg.ca/  :fogetcool:
DDay is Dead  I am a dead man typing

• GW Staff: Article Alcoholic (Current Mood: Happy!)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Ok, I keep looking through various components and I'm so undecided about everything. I have no idea what's good and what's trash, but I really would like to place an order soon so I can build it next week. Are there any component lists out there that I can just copy and go with? It would be so easy if someone else did the hard working of picking out the right parts. I'd just buy them and then figure out how to build the darn thing.. choosing them as well is making my head spin.
  • Dead man
I could give you my build but it has a AMD 4 core and I used a mid tower but if I could go back I would get a Full Tower Because going back in there is going to be a bitch when it comes around for me to pull my investment that you would call it a Power supply or what I call it medusa (do too all the pins and connectors that it has.)
Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 07:22:32 pm by DDay

• Dead man
Fine I will make you one.

I included some of my thought process.(Also this is the order of how I determined your build.)
----------------------------------------------------------
Case: Full it's on sale and it's cheep (the PSU that comes with it is junk but makes a nice paper weight.)

Reason: Cheep

Research:I looked at comments and the only thing they have for it is too big. but that's good it's more forgiving and easy to work inside.  

Here
------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Intel (to make you happy)

Reason: You seem to like intel so I'll bite

What I was looking for: CPU Socket Type (this determines the compatibility with the motherboard ) Here

Alternative (cost more pretty much the same but unlocked): Here

---------------------------------------------------
 Motherboard: PCI 16X2 (So latter on in your Computers life you can cross fire also has 3.0 USB and SATA 6.0 GB)

What I was looking for: Compatibility by Socket.

Determining Factors: I look at price and Upgrade-ability then use smi-new technology to make the deal.   

Here
----------------------------------------------------
Ram: If Your running windows 7 6 GB ram is the way to go.

What I was looking for: DRR 3

Determining Factors: Window 7 can take 1 two 2 GB of ram Easily making the first stick useless, then games can take a few then factor in programs running in back ground 6 GB should do and also it's cheep for high performance RAM (Also I trust CORSAIR)

Made a mistake  lol fixed in later post with 2 GB OCZ Gold High Performance.
--------------------------------------------------
Hard drives: But you can pick I don't care
Thought Processes: Nothing much Really It all deepens what you want out of a drive speed/high transfer rates, size and... Ect.

Here
---------------------------------------------------
GFX CARD: cheep and too my understanding should run all games of the now on full settings after you update the Drivers.

What I Used: looked at costumers reviews and Also I trust Gigabyte.

Here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PSU: 2X6 so you can crossfire. (I hope it reaches all components)

Thought Processes: Has good amount of pins and can cover all your components needs.

What I Do not know: In a perfected world everything would be spelled out for you but unfortunately not all components tell me the watts so it's more of a guess but 750W is a safe bet... Not sure it can take 2 GFX cards but only one way to tell. 

Good news: most PSU can go higher then there rated amount but not by much.

Here
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CD drive: Have one myself can't beat it.

Thought Processes:I own it and it works fine thank you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106334

In USD it would come too 1047.93 USD with newegg price(also windows 7, tax and shipping not included in the price but for windows just add 100$)

and a lot cheaper but also you would need Thermal Compound for your CPU helps keep it cool on heat transfer rates to heat sink

I recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103059

So tell me what you think Also I included some of the factors that made me pick that componet so you know how to pick your stuff out on your own next time.
Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:27:10 pm by DDay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Awesome. Thanks a million DDay. I assume for the memory you picked out that I should get 2 of those (since each is 3x1gb of memory).

Dumb question, since it's my first time buying from Newegg. Is there a reason why the Harddrive seems to be shipping separetely?

Looks to me like the site is calculating shipping/handling twice - once for just the harddrive and then again for everything else. Seems kind of dumb.
Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:55:37 pm by Mateui
  • Dead man
good call the ram was an error I Had a few windows up  ... Don't tell me you paid yet?

Here is the quick fix http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365&Tpk=20-227-365

I have them myself.
Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:03:27 am by DDay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
good call the ram was an erroe i'll ... Don't tell me you paid yet?
Nope, just putting them into the shopping cart right now.

Oh, the shipping twice issue.. might that be because the harddrive happens to be from a different warehouse?
Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:08:48 am by Mateui
  • Dead man
I put in the fixed link on my last post and just gave you something I used only con is DOA are supposedly high but that's covered with a life time warranty.

Also I don't know what that means or why it happened maybe do more investigating?  Also make sure your using .Ca NewEgg.
Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:10:34 am by DDay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Yeah, I just changed the .com's into .ca's in your links and it worked like a charm. Glad that Newegg keeps their products pretty much identical on both sites. As to picking up Windows 7, is OEM what I want to go with? (And 64-bit or 32-bit??)
  • salt world mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip
def  64 bit.  no reason not to really since everything 32 will run on it.
  • Dead man
def  64 bit.  no reason not to really since everything 32 will run on it.

I agree with him it takes up little more ram but it's better in all aspects.

• salt world mechanic
  • PipPipPipPip
well running a 64 bit operating system will allow you to recognize more than 3 gigs of ram on your computer, so that might be something to consider as well.
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPipPip
Maybe its too late now, but I'd recommend the HAF 932 tower (the one you originally picked, and the one I happen to own) over the XCLIO one in your last screenshot. The HAF has AWESOME airflow, and comes fullly outfitted with all the fans out of the box. In the course of my researching cases I also came across the airturbine designed ones, such as whats in your basket, and remember hearing they weren't so great.
"the way you speak about rm2k3, like "modules, arrays, pointers" sounds like
you're some badass c++ programmer stuck in the past and only has rm2k3 to
work with"
-Gutts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
No, it's not too late yet. Since its a long weekend, I won't be placing the order until monday anyway, so I still have a few days. But yeah, I like the look of the HAF tower a lot better and if it has better airflow that just makes it even more attractive. I think I'm going to go with it.
  • Dead man
No, it's not too late yet. Since its a long weekend, I won't be placing the order until monday anyway, so I still have a few days. But yeah, I like the look of the HAF tower a lot better and if it has better airflow that just makes it even more attractive. I think I'm going to go with it.

I have a HAF Mid Tower  And I recommend it to.... Cool masters makes a might fine case. But if there was an area you could skimp out on the most is the case unless your over clocking Then everything matters.. (So I did but feel Free to change what you like)
Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 09:06:40 pm by DDay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Dumb question - do I need to purchase a network card so that the computer will be able to detect a wireless signal and connect to it?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Maybe its too late now, but I'd recommend the HAF 932 tower (the one you originally picked, and the one I happen to own) over the XCLIO one in your last screenshot. The HAF has AWESOME airflow, and comes fullly outfitted with all the fans out of the box. In the course of my researching cases I also came across the airturbine designed ones, such as whats in your basket, and remember hearing they weren't so great.
yeah that Xclio case looks atrocious too. Aesthetics mean quite a bit to me so I really dig Lian-Li cases, they're really well made mostly out of aluminum & steel and rather inconspicuous. It looks like a clean no-frills PC like you'd see in an office or something but has excellent airflow and there's a lot of attention to detail on the insides(cable management and whatnot) this one right here is excellent. Those gaming cases seriously look like they hired 13 year olds for the design team.

Dumb question - do I need to purchase a network card so that the computer will be able to detect a wireless signal and connect to it?
you'll most likely need a card if your motherboard doesn't specifically list wifi compatibility. I use this one. never had a problem with it and it's really cheap.
  • VILLAIN
  • Group: Administrator
yeah that Xclio case looks atrocious too. Aesthetics mean quite a bit to me so I really dig Lian-Li cases, they're really well made mostly out of aluminum & steel and rather inconspicuous. It looks like a clean no-frills PC like you'd see in an office or something but has excellent airflow and there's a lot of attention to detail on the insides(cable management and whatnot) this one right here is excellent. Those gaming cases seriously look like they hired 13 year olds for the design team.
I agree on the gaming cases. They look like they're marketed at people who drink this.

By the way, where's the love for beige?

I miss beige.
  • Dead man

If you got the mother board I gave you no Edit : Wait you said Wireless yes. Yes you do... For a min. there all I read up to was network card so LOL .

Also I would recommend a build video for you But I got disclaimers I don't recommend Magnet ScrewDriver, (but to each there own) Don't man handle your Motherboard (try to not touch it much same for CPU), Instructions are not garbage and keep all CD to the side. He also Doesn't have a video card installed on it. he using on board video Witch your mother board doesn't have. Also there is different types of CPU Fans & Fan Mounts so take some info with a grain of salt and there is sockets that don't have the second step. ( witch I'll call it a door but lucky for you yours dose. Also note AMD are a bit different when it comes to finding the right way to mount to socket.)

What I like about this video is it shows the Importance of air flow and wire management and he also makes a mistake but It also shows you what one may look like so that's a plus. But he doesn't show the internal Speaker/CPU Speaker AKA The beeping sound witch is impotent since it beep out error codes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdTTlcdPqTg

for video cards also disclaimers most 16X 2.0 slots are now closer together so you can crossfire but not all.

http://vimeo.com/8065900
Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:08:48 am by DDay