Adventure my isp turned off my internets... torrents etc. (Read 343 times)

• more cowbell!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
so, i got back from school earlier today and found that my internet was down. i tried everything to repair it but it wasn't working. called my ISP (qwest), and they let me know (after being on hold for like, four different people) that i was flagged for downloading copyrighted material! okay! they wouldn't let me know which ones, but the guy told me that he wouldn't turn back on my internet until i deleted all of the copyrighted material. so, actually, i deleted a couple torrents (not the files themselves, though he was telling me that, a) he wanted me to delete all of it off my harddrive and b) they could check my harddrive to see if i did delete it or not (which is obviously not true)).

so, i turned on my paranoia settings at waffles.fm (btw, anybody cool want an invite to waffles?), and other sites, but is there anything else i should do? is there a way to be completely anonymous all the time and not have to worry about stupid stuff like this?

also, THANKS taylor swift (probably) i thought we were buddies and now you're reporting me to my ISP?!?!
http://www.fallingbot.com/
  • PEW PEW PEW
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I hear you gotta watch out for some of the HBO show torrents. also if anyone still doesn't have I've Got A Feeling (Tonight's Gonna Be A Good Night) do NOT attempt to torrent it, please PM me instead and I will send you the 320kbps mp3 file d/l.

I got a waffles but I find it pretty useless compared google search band+rar album+rar for rarer stuff and most other stuff you can get from isohunt or whatever free torrent search engine that doesn't keep reminding you of a .001 share ratio because everyone is seeding and and you only get to upload 2 kbs a day. that's not enough kb's. that's my gripe.
  • more cowbell!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
yeah, that's true. i'm still trying to find out what flagged me. but, yeah, it took me forever to get a decent ratio at waffles. it's good for certain things (I NEED a V0 or 320kbps for ____ album), but it's not like you couldn't usually find those files on soulseek anyways.
  • Lichens!
you could invite me :)
  • Lichens!
also have you downloaded peer guardian?  thats what i've been using ever since I went to college since apparently there have been some people who have been caught torrenting shit.  i've been downloading things left and right for the last 2 years with peer guardian running and haven't heard anything from the ITS department at my university once
  • VILLAIN
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
man am I glad this sort of stuff hasn't started happening in my country yet and probably won't.
  • The man in the woods.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I had one of these once.

I felt so hardcore getting warned for downloading british panel shows.
  • thx ds k?
could i get an invite? :-)
  • I r TEH DrAgOn RaR
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
waffles is sh*t get some what
what recently gave out invites.....
  • more cowbell!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
also have you downloaded peer guardian?  thats what i've been using ever since I went to college since apparently there have been some people who have been caught torrenting shit.  i've been downloading things left and right for the last 2 years with peer guardian running and haven't heard anything from the ITS department at my university once
yes. this is what i was looking for, thanks. so i'm guessing it works pretty well? what does it do exactly? website says it's an ip blocker. so it will absolutely block everyone and anyone from seeing my ip address through torrents and stuff?
  • pimpin' my +4 plumed hat of power
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
No, that's not what an IP Block List program does.

The way it works is that it monitors all the IP addresses that attempt to connect to you and filters out the ones that have been flagged as POSSIBLE threats.

It determines which ones are possible threats according to a block list which you download separately--though with Peer Guardian you can download and update block lists through the program, however you can't set it up to do it for you automatically.

As for the Block Lists themselves, they're maintained by people who somehow find out which IP's are possible threats--usually through reports that people who've been caught downloading copyrighted material send to the block list maintainers. That's why PeerGuardian keeps a history, a record of every IP address that connects or attempts to connect to you while PeerGuardian is running (it's like a firewall in that regard) so that if you get caught (again) you can check the History to see which IP's look suspect and send your report to the block list maintainers.

So, it's all very scientific and junk (actually not so much)

Needless to say, this won't provide foolproof protection since the copyright "police" constantly switch which IP's they use to connect to p2p networks (like a never-ending game of cat-and-mouse...where if anything you're the Swiss Cheese. Or maybe the kitty litter)

This is the sort of service you're looking for:
http://hidemyass.com/vpn/

(DISCLAIMER: I've never tried it, nor do I know anyone who has. Can't vouch for the claims this service makes. You and you alone are responsible for what may or may not arise either good, bad or sort of in-between if you choose to use this service. Have a nice day and good luck not getting caught again /seriously)
Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 12:56:21 am by SegNin
  • Lichens!
if you want something free i think google tor, its for win and osx i think
  • pimpin' my +4 plumed hat of power
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
if you want something free i think google tor, its for win and osx i think
About Tor, don't expect to get decent speeds using it for torrents:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Bandwidth hogging
    It is considered impolite by Tor community members to transfer massive amounts of data across the Tor network – the onion routers are run by volunteers using their own bandwidth at their own cost. Due to the high bandwidth usage caused by the peer-to-peer file sharing networks, it is considered impolite and inappropriate by Tor community members to use the Tor network for transfers like BitTorrent. By default, the Tor exit policy blocks the commonly used peer-to-peer ports."
  • Lichens!
idk i've never used it so i dunno much about it
tor is slow as hell even for regular web browsing but It's useful for cloakin' your shit in general
  • ;Wyrm
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I love living here in Canada  :fogetcool:
Wyrm  | Madolah | ær