Tech bootup (Read 420 times)

• Comrade!?! I AM NOT A FUCKING RUSSIAN
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Right, my boot up has become quite slow so i want to know, is there a program/utility that can track what makes boot up take so long? i have an idea as to what program it could be but i want more info on it.
RIP DoktorMartini

My brute!
  • Warning: Harsh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Which part of the boot up is slow? The BIOS or the OS?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
ah good point, i didn't think about that, the OS, the intial boot up is fast, it's just once i log in, it takes a few minuits to 100% boot up in stead of seconds. i think it might be the anti-virus cuasing it to slow down, but i'm not sure so i want to find a program that can measure boot up and what takes the longest.
RIP DoktorMartini

My brute!
  • Warning: Harsh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I don't believe there are any programs like that. You can check your Startup folder on your start menu and see what is there. Delete anything in there you don't need to run on startup, and check your icons in the system tray. If you see any you don't need running right click them and either uncheck "Run on System Start" (or whatever similar) or go into options and find the run at startup option and uncheck it.

Anti-Virus software usually takes the longest to load, but there are a good many lightweight clients out there. What do you currently use?

If your BIOS is taking the longest portion of your bootup, I can give you some advice on making that faster as well.
  • Ice flows through me..
You should check these tools out: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/performance/cc825801. They work wonders for me but make sure you set the delay for xbootmgr for long enough until all your programs start!
  • Dreams With No End
  • PipPip
MSConfig is also a good resource. While it won't give you an overview of what's actually causing things to boot slowly, it lets you tweak what is and isn't loaded at startup.
Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I'm running Avast Anti-virus and SuperAntiSpyware i think it's the latter one that lags the boot up, i say this becuase one time it didn't load up for some reason (it did eventually) and the system booted up fast like it should. The bios takes no time at all so it's fine, it's only the OS boot up PAST login that takes so long.
RIP DoktorMartini

My brute!
  • Group: Member
Yeah, not sure of any programs to do specifically what you just said, but if you know what you're doing you can install hijackthis and remove stuff that shouldn't be there at startup (or at all), or just use msconfig and turn stuff off to see what's causing it. My personal preference is to not have ANY software start at boot up, aside from the essentials like virtual drive, dropbox, and BT/Tablet tools, etc.
Comrade!
  • Who the hell is Bono?
  • PipPipPip
You could start with a program like CCleaner to check your startup, and remove most of the programs that are launching at start... using Auslogics Disk Defrag you can defrag and optimize your HDD, pushing required startup and boot files to the front of your Disk...

just quick suggestions..
  • Dead man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
also your desktop can slow down your boot too.  What I mean by this is shortcuts to games and \other programs.
DDay is Dead  I am a dead man typing