Code Random obstacle generator (Read 138 times)

• Let's put a smile on that face...
  • Group: Premium Member
I have a game concept in mind but for it to not be boring it requires that the player cannot memorize the map (since the whole concept is to advance avoiding obstacles). There are several problems with this concept however:

1) Assuming its possible to create a random obstacle generator, how can i be sure that there will always be a way to get through. I mean isn't it possible that the whole way is blocked by obstacles, or maybe the obstacles are put in such a way that its almost impossible to get past by them (like allowing only extremely pixel-precise movement which isn't possible in a fast paced game).

2) There is a timed explosion in the game, half screen big in order to force the player to navigate through the other half for a certain amount of time. Can i code it in a way that it is always possible to get through? I don't want to have the obstacles in the left side of the screen (which means i have to navigate to the right side to avoid them) only to get an explosion in the face since there was no room on the left side of the screen.

3) Obviously the character has some abilities that help him navigate through the field and the obstacle generator should take that in mind when designing the course.

Is all that even possible? Maybe its possible? Impossible?
Gimme your opinion veteran programmers. Thanks!
  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
It is possible. But you are heavily limited by the software you;re gonna use, rm2k/3? no that won't do. You have to have a maker that could script an algorithm for those procedural maps. Also, you should have knowledge of coding and stuff, algorithms, procedural generation of stuff.etc.
  • Comedy Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Global Moderator
Yo try the XNA forum and run this by Doros to check its validity. It'd be a hell of a thing in rm2k.
Hey hey hey
  • Let's put a smile on that face...
Obviously i'm not talking about RM2k/3/ stuff. I don't know about xp/vx haven't thought about it (since they allow you to code almost anything if im not mistaken). Gonna check out on the XNA forums then thanks for the answer!