Topic: Linux (Read 892 times)

• Comrade!?! I AM NOT A FUCKING RUSSIAN
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I've thinking of downloading a linux distro (after looking through them of course) and instaling as a dualboot but tbh i've been wondering what would be the point so i'm wondering, what's the use and or advantage of using linux over windows 7?
RIP DoktorMartini

My brute!
  • Dwarf Giant
  • PipPipPipPip
It's free. But if you already have Windows 7 then it has no advantages unless you are one of those who believe anything Open Source is automatically the greatest thing ever.
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
It's dumb to say that there are NO advantages.  But it also depends on who you are and what you use your computer for.  For a lot of people Linux is just going to be more of a hassle than a good thing but for some people and some usages Linux is v.  nice.

But considering you wanted to try a dualboot and you've already got Windows installed first (which is the correct order to do things if you want to dualboot easily) then just download it and install it and see if you like it.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
if you're doing basic computing(wordprocessing, listening to music, web browsing, etc) or techie shit then linux is fine. If you already have and are comfortable with windows then there's really no benefit to using linux. I use debian on my netbook and it works fine but YMMV if you've got some incompatible hardware.
  • o
I'm not sure if you can do this in other distros but you can install Ubuntu/Kubuntu inside windows, so Linux uses a virtual disk. Look for a WUBI install program when you download it. It has the advantage of being easy to uninstall if you don't want it anymore.
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
It's free. But if you already have Windows 7 then it has no advantages unless you are one of those who believe anything Open Source is automatically the greatest thing ever.

That qualifies as me.

It's practical in my situation because I have to do all my programming schoolwork on unix machines, and I like doing most of my testing without having to go and SSH the server on campus. (plus I can do that even easier with Linux just by going to the terminal)

It really is a personal decision as to whether or not it's something worth having, but that's enough reason to say it's worth trying out at least. (since it's just as easy to uninstall either way)
  • Generic INAP lamer. (nazis suck)
  • PipPip
  • Group: Member
If you're just after trying Linux, either a live disc or WUBI install would be a better option than just installing a distro outright as there's less chance of doing any damage.
Having used WUBI before, I would recommend it for trying Linux as it works almost as well as a proper install, but it's easy enough to remove.

Linux has advantages when it comes to system requirements and security, and it's more customizable.
I use a 1.66Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2Gib of DDR2 RAM and Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 Ultimate and although Win7 will happily run most non-gaming stuff (including Epic UDK with a little slow down), Ubuntu does seem somewhat faster.
Ubuntu is my main OS as I find it easier to use for day to day crap, and if I need a random app for something, I can use the software center instead of trawling Google and installing it myself.

Windows 7 is still a very good OS, so if you're comfortable with Windows, you might not have much reason to start using Linux.
My only gripe with Win7 is that Dawn of War 2 doesn't run as well as it did under Vista Home Premium, but Vista is still awful.
I say they look more like german/caveman then asians.
The Germans are coming to beat you with clubs and spears!
Hundley: Damnit kid, get off my lawn!
Faust: NOT UNTIL YOU GIVE MY MY PANTS BACK HUNDLEY!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Ack, i can't belive i forgot about this thread i started, nvm. any way i think i won't bother, it's just tbh the problem that i had with Vista i don't have with windows 7, i'm happy with it and i don't do much programing (any more) and i can reasonably fix any issues that do come up (so far none). Since i do have Virtual computer software build in to windows 7 i might try it with that but it would be more for the novelty of it then to actualy have a use of it. Still thanks for the info.

P.s. windows XP mode is really pretty usfull
RIP DoktorMartini

My brute!
  • I know your secrets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
the primary advantage of linux is it doesn't make me want to kick my computer out a window. if you don't know better you can just use windows though.

edit: seriously windows 7 starter edition made me so mad. it's like a preloaded virus.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
the primary advantage of linux is it doesn't make me want to kick my computer out a window. if you don't know better you can just use windows though.

edit: seriously windows 7 starter edition made me so mad. it's like a preloaded virus.

Hence why i whent with pro, but beyond that is pointless.
RIP DoktorMartini

My brute!
  • aye ess dee eff el cay jay ache
oh is that why you went with pro over an edition that only comes with netbooks?
I USE Q'S INSTEQD OF Q'S
ahahaha you're judging windows 7 in its entirety based on the starter edition???  why would you do this???
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
I'd say over half of everyone who uses linux as a desktop OS feels the need to publicly justify it in some way

"Welp: it's better than windows starter edition" is about as good as any other, regardless of how dumb it is
Yeah and I'd say that same over half don't really have any business using linux.  Like they don't have a reason beyond HEH, IT'S LINUX.  I'M USING LINUX.

Linux is great for certain things.  A lot of people using it aren't using it for those things.  I will never understand people who primarily use a computer for gaming that also use Linux.
BRRING! BRRING!
  • PipPipPip
Considering that for 95% of people 95% of the time it doesn't really matter which OS they're on just the fact that Linux is free should be a pretty self-explanatory and sufficient reason.
  • PipPipPip
I just today got an old laptop from my aunt and I'm planning on installing Ubuntu on it, mainly because it's just cool and I wanna toy with it. I ran my desktop computer on tripleboot XP/Vista/Ubuntu for some time, I really really enjoyed some things in Linux, most importantly the package manager, and liked to just play around because it lets you touch all sort of stuff Windows never lets, but I uninstalled it after a while because I needed a couple of programs that were Windows only + games, so I in the end I rarely booted to Linux.

If I would really pay for my Windows or even feel bad about not paying I would seriously consider going all Linux though. Especially considering many of the programs that are Windows only would also cost a fuckload if not for piratebay, so the only thing keeping me on Windows would be games and that's pretty minimal nowadays.
  • I know your secrets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
most of the games i care about run sufficiently well on linux and to be honest if your reason to be running windows is access to derivative space marine bullshit you should just read a book. there's lots of books about space marines. internet cafes have most new games available for a lot less timewasting / cost than putting them on your computer and you feel less obliged to continue playing if they turn out to suck.

imo the main reasons not to use linux are:
- lack of good CAD software for engineering drawing
- no good DAW support aside from renoise so if you don't like trackers...
- gimp really isn't photoshop (mypaint is awesome for drawing from scratch though)
- a piece of hardware you own doesn't have proper drivers for linux or is intentionally locked to windows/mac
- lack of good game development tools beyond compilers and text editors.

the reason I do use linux is that it doesn't fight me at every turn when I want to change something about my computer. it has good terminal programs, which simply don't exist on windows (I think it's reasonable for me to say this, I worked for about 3 months in a Windows environment and mostly stuck to the terminal when possible.) it's a lot faster and easier to manage software with a package manager once you've learned how it works than to keep around a bunch of .msi files and use the add/remove programs dialogue. ext3 doesn't require anywhere near as much defragmentation and dicking around as NTFS (i.e. i have never defragmented my disk) and you can send kill signals to programs, which are significantly more effective than clicking "end task" and hoping your box does what you told it to do. i don't need antivirus software and my computer doesn't constantly advertise to me with windows performance scores (that go down even though my computer hasn't changed??) and anti hacker super macro command centres. basically, if something goes wrong with my computer, i don't need to ask official permission to fix it or beg a wizard to diagnose my fault code.i'd say that that's something worth paying for but I got it for free. if you really want to pay, you could get a mac.
  • PipPipPip
Biggles I hope you realize that that's exactly the kind of post that tend to give Linux a bad name.
  • I know your secrets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
please, break it down for me. it wasn't at you btw.
  • Generic INAP lamer. (nazis suck)
  • PipPip
- a piece of hardware you own doesn't have proper drivers for linux or is intentionally locked to windows/mac
That can partly be blamed on Microsoft and their support for EFI over ye olde BIOS.
Microsoft does offer Windows with EFI support, but only for 64bit systems, and prior to Windows Vista, it was only for server editions.
Linux and OS X can both use EFI (Apple uses EFI on all Intel Macs), but as Windows is still the biggest OS on desktop systems, it's unlikely that EFI will take over for some time yet.
The big advantage to Linux would be that if enough Windows systems used EFI, the issue over drivers wouldn't really exist as EFI provides a generic layer between the OS and hardware so that any OS that can use EFI can use EFI compliant hardware )it's like having an interpreter to help you in a meeting instead of you buying a book and looking like a dick as you stumble through the translation).

I have Windows 7 Ultimate and I have to say, I've had no real problems with it other than it apparently being hopeless at running Dawn of War 2 as well as Vista did O_o
Other than that, I have to say that Win 7 is impressive (what isn't after ME and Vista? I won't mention XP's ugliness as I might get lynched), which is odd as it reminds me of KDE and KDE annoys me.
I say they look more like german/caveman then asians.
The Germans are coming to beat you with clubs and spears!
Hundley: Damnit kid, get off my lawn!
Faust: NOT UNTIL YOU GIVE MY MY PANTS BACK HUNDLEY!