Tutorial set up your own cloud gaming service (Read 132 times)

• Comrade!?! I AM NOT A FUCKING RUSSIAN
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I just had to post this.

http://lg.io/2015/04/12/run-your-own-high-end-cloud-gaming-service-on-ec2.html

Discuss?
RIP DoktorMartini

My brute!
  • The Irrepressible
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Totally worth it if Internet download speeds were not 5mbps in most parts of the country. Even if you had Google fiber, i think latency would kill most game types i think... Unless the Amazon instance compensated for the latency on your end.

Actually, that's interesting. The structure of how multiplayer games compensate for latency would need to change.

old games like quake 2 waited for all connected players to input a command, and all of the typical client processing (the graphics, your model position, etc) was handled by the server. That's how game files were so small. In a way, this isn't different, assuming that your server is close to the nearest ec2 data center, which is generally the case.

If not though, I think the only way this would take off is if multiplayer games had built in a mechanic that calculates the distance between the server, the client running in Amazon, and the user inputting commands at, say, a cafe. That's one extra degree of separation, but doable. It just changes...... Pretty much how everything works.

Out of curiosity, would you support a tiered internet structure if it would provide better speeds to support this?
Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 06:38:05 am by datamanc3r
"I would be totally embarassed to write this, even as a fakepost. it's not funny except in how you seem to think it's good. look at all the redundancies, for fuck's sake. "insipid semantics, despicable mediocrity" ugh gross gross. I want to take a shower every time I read your prose." -Steel
  • The Irrepressible
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Loool and I apologize if you're not from the States
"I would be totally embarassed to write this, even as a fakepost. it's not funny except in how you seem to think it's good. look at all the redundancies, for fuck's sake. "insipid semantics, despicable mediocrity" ugh gross gross. I want to take a shower every time I read your prose." -Steel
  • Comrade!?! I AM NOT A FUCKING RUSSIAN
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I'm a Londoner, and our internet is shit (at home I mean), it's currently sitting at 24.99 Mbps, a very unstable 24.99 Mbps. Tiered? in what context? 
Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:39:46 pm by Swordfish
RIP DoktorMartini

My brute!