GW Does anyone know if GamingW used a CMS? (Read 427 times)

• Super Advanced Member
  • Group: Member
I'm a newbie web designer and lately I've been looking at the old GW website from 2005. Does anyone know if that website used a CMS back then? There was quite a lot of content even back then, news articles, design articles, recent game updates. Did Bart write his own backend for all that stuff?
  • Worthless Protoplasm
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
like rpgmaker CMS???
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

• Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Sorry op but
like rpgmaker CMS???
was my first thought as well
  • Super Advanced Member
I meant more like WordPress. I was hoping there would be some people left here who were involved in the development of the website. But I did some research and found out Bart wrote his own backend. 
  • The Irrepressible
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Fool! Looking at gamingw of yore. Hasn't anyone warned you??
"I would be totally embarassed to write this, even as a fakepost. it's not funny except in how you seem to think it's good. look at all the redundancies, for fuck's sake. "insipid semantics, despicable mediocrity" ugh gross gross. I want to take a shower every time I read your prose." -Steel
  • Super Advanced Member
It's okay, I used to visit 4chan and 9gag.
  • The Irrepressible
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
;) The Iraqi's have a saying: "Same shit, different Saddam"

Except completely different Saddam here. Our younger selves are spectacular assholes it seems. Sorry, I'm on a nostalgia streak lately. It's cool that people are still lurkin around here. You're doing web dev?
"I would be totally embarassed to write this, even as a fakepost. it's not funny except in how you seem to think it's good. look at all the redundancies, for fuck's sake. "insipid semantics, despicable mediocrity" ugh gross gross. I want to take a shower every time I read your prose." -Steel
  • Super Advanced Member
When I was on GW in 2005 I was like 15 and I was a total tool then too. I think a lot of people who visited back then were still kids. 

And yeah, trying to learn it. 
  • The Irrepressible
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Hey awesome,

I think I'm going to start working on a CMS for my own space online; I need to create an article / blogging / gist / forum base for customer DIY projects for (eventually) my Makerspace Cafe.

Want to collaborate on a CMS engine? We can throw everything up on git. I'm thinking about learning Flask/Django/MongoDB for backend because I think that Node.JS will pose maintenance issues in the future. 
  • Super Advanced Member
Thanks for the offer, but I'm really not that good yet. I hardly know any JavaScript / PHP. I'm still trying to get better at positioning stuff with CSS first. 
  • The Irrepressible
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
lol don't worry about it, my css is garbage, I'm learning that stuff too. In the meantime to get stuff set up I just pull templates off the web. Eventually I want to get to the point where I can understand everything in the template but sometimes you just gotta jump into a project and not get hung up on the theory behind it. 

Well, offer's there if you want to play around with the code, pretty much for everyone. I'll toss my github in my signature once I get the scaffolding done for the CMS. 

btw, a good book I recommend so far for web design is "Learning Web Design" by Jennifer Niederst Robbins. It's well-written, explains stuff, and doesn't treat you like a kid with all the shiny colors and "hey, just copy this! It's magic!"
  • Super Advanced Member
Thanks, I'll check that out