Games What are you playing? (Read 140666 times)

• Artist, novelist, gamer, and friend.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
We have a Last Movie Watched thread, but no general gamer posting pit. I'm wondering what you all are playing. Share your thoughts and crits on whatever gameworld you're into, or share random experiences!

As for me, I've been taking some time away from the new games like Prototype and Ghostbusters to revisit the oldies like Morrowind and FF7. Guess it's like rereading a good book or something. Just started replaying Gunstar Heroes too. Something nostalgic is in the air.

So, what's in your console?
Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:47:01 pm by The Dude
  • tom cruise
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
The Nameless Mod for Deus Ex.

• junker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
i'm sure the words FF7 and good being so close is going to make some cringe
hah

either way seems all I play right now is either Soul Calibur 4 or DooM (even though it's more mapping than playing)
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I am playing a fuckton of Koei games right now, especially since I just got a new PS2 and bought several of them for like $5 or less.  I'm playing Dynasty Warriors 5 (360), Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII (PS2), Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI (PC), Dynasty Tactics (PS2), Nobunaga's Ambition (PS2)

Dynasty Warriors is by far my favorite out of these, since the battles of ROT3K always seem to be my least favorite part.  I really like the management portions but then I get into battle and pretty much lose everything no matter what.  I'm sure that'll quit if I keep playing and get better but it's very frustrating.  Dynasty Warriors on the other hand is a lot more beating shit up.  I wish there was a game with all the aspects of ROT3K but the battles of DW.

I only started Dynasty Tactics yesterday, it was interesting but it feels a little less....impressive?  I don't know, but the gameplay is pretty good so I'll play some more of it.  Nobunaga's Ambition looks good but it seems like both times I tried to play it it just pissed me off and I went to something else.  First it was that the tutorial was horribly boring and useless so I shut it off and went to some game I hadn't played yet.  The second time I accidentally didn't save the officers I just made and even though that was my fault it was too frustrating to deal with.  Oh well, maybe I'll have a third try this weekend.

...I'm also playing Magic the Gathering on the 360 ;D
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • The man in the woods.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Never have I been so intensely excited then profoundly disappointed in such a short period of time.
I wasn't disappointed but then again I had no expectations going in.  What about it disappointed you?
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • The man in the woods.
There is no deck construction

That sucked all interest I had in it almost instantly. The fact that I haven't heard about it until now was no longer surprising now that I knew about this little bit of info on the game.
Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:30:36 pm by KBJGXLM
  • Artist, novelist, gamer, and friend.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
No deck construction??? That's like 1/2 of what Magic is! Forming a stragedy beforehand etc. Wonder why they wouldn't have this...
Do you just get preset decks or something?
I can deal with that though, I mostly just want it to sit and play a quick game of it, I probably wouldn't do much deck construction with it anyway because if you got any big amount of cards it would probably be frustrating to sort through them all on a console.  Maybe it's just me.  With the Pokemon TCG for the gameboy I normally just added and removed a few cards as I went to the built in deck.  With Magic the Gathering Online I didn't make any decks either, just edited the one I had.

In order for them to really make it worth editing decks they'd have to come up with different ways of getting cards, right now all you could do is say BLUE DECK PLUS RED DECK = NEW DECK, there's not a lot of room for that.  With MtGO I'm pretty sure you had to actually buy the cards online (and could redeem those for the real cards if you quit the online game--all of this could have changed though because I played it when it first came out), do you really want that for the 360?  Because that's probably what they'd want to do.

Plus who knows, enough people are complaining about that to where they might add that in later.

edit: also it's not like there's no strategy with premade decks, fuck there's probably MORE strategy because you've got to use what you've been given and everyone's on that same playing field
Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:37:59 pm by Velfarre
BRRING! BRRING!
  • The man in the woods.
I was hoping that it would be another big mtg venue like apprentice was only with neato graphics on the 360. I don't like mtgo because of how hard it is to actually get the cards I need. With actual cards I could build any deck I wanted to within a day's time and I wouldn't have to spend a dime. With mtgo you have to spend time (trading) and money getting what you need... half of which gets phased out every what, six months? The only disadvantage to having every card accessible to you is not having the advantage you get by being the one willing to shell out more than the next guy. That's why Apprentice/etc was the best venue to date. It's the most fair method of playing since everything is available to everyone.

At worst I was expecting unlockables/ achievements to access cards... and even though it's included, it just isn't the same to modify a preconstructed deck instead of creating your own.
Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 05:18:43 pm by KBJGXLM
  • Who's the boss? Not you, bitch.
I am playing a fuckton of Koei games right now, especially since I just got a new PS2 and bought several of them for like $5 or less.  I'm playing Dynasty Warriors 5 (360), Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII (PS2), Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI (PC), Dynasty Tactics (PS2), Nobunaga's Ambition (PS2)

Dynasty Warriors is by far my favorite out of these, since the battles of ROT3K always seem to be my least favorite part.  I really like the management portions but then I get into battle and pretty much lose everything no matter what.  I'm sure that'll quit if I keep playing and get better but it's very frustrating.  Dynasty Warriors on the other hand is a lot more beating shit up.  I wish there was a game with all the aspects of ROT3K but the battles of DW.

I only started Dynasty Tactics yesterday, it was interesting but it feels a little less....impressive?  I don't know, but the gameplay is pretty good so I'll play some more of it.  Nobunaga's Ambition looks good but it seems like both times I tried to play it it just pissed me off and I went to something else.  First it was that the tutorial was horribly boring and useless so I shut it off and went to some game I hadn't played yet.  The second time I accidentally didn't save the officers I just made and even though that was my fault it was too frustrating to deal with.  Oh well, maybe I'll have a third try this weekend.

i know you can turn off combat in romance of the three kingdoms 11, but in all the others (maybe not 9) i'm pretty sure you have the option of skipping it. i found battles to be pretty tedious in 7-10 so i usually skipped them, which is pretty great if you like the management component of the game. also, if you like 8, 10 is basically the same thing but better. after having played 7, 8, and 10 a bit, i think they're all pretty terrible entries in the series. i think the idea is very good - play as any character from the time period - but aside from their NUMBERS, there is no difference in how any of them play or what they can do. some characters get story events that you can watch, but they don't really affect anything and they're only there to remind you that you are playing a game based on an old book. there's also very little to actually do in the games. you can do work for your lord, which requires you to hit a button from a menu and watch numbers go up (or if you are the lord, order people around), talk to friends, which requires you to hit a button from a menu and watch numbers go up, or train, which requires you to hit a button from a menu and watch numbers go up. if your war stat is high, you'll fight a lot of battles. if it's low, you won't. there is literally nothing else to do.

11 has the best system for any of the romance of the three kingdoms games. everything takes place on the same screen; there is no transition from world map to battle map, everything takes place on the same map and on the same turn as your civil actions, which makes battle completely dynamic. allies and enemies can join and leave battles in the middle, civil actions you take can have repercussions on battles, and actions you take in battle can have effects on nearby cities (for example, destroying a dam or some of the city's buildings). battles are so much more open and there are so many more posibilities than in any of the other games in the series. it's just really unfortunate there is no multiplayer because otherwise rowain and i would have TORN IT UP by now.

also, which nobunaga's ambition game are you playing? there are two for the ps2, iron triangle and rise to power. rise to power is sort of like the older romance of the three kingdoms games, i haven't played much of it, but iron triangle is a lot like romance of the three kingdoms 11 with a slightly different system. the one thing that's nice about it is that soldiers don't necessarily die when you lose them in battle, they can regenerate, which allows you to build a momentum as you conquer cities. instead of taking a long time to rebuild your army after every time you take over a city, your soldiers will regenerate so you can immediately go back to fighting. this eliminates a lot of the really tedious downtime in the romance of the three kingdoms games.
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Yeah, the only thing I don't like about MTGO is that if I want to play it and paper Magic at the same time I gotta shell out twice as much cash just to keep up. (Right now, I can't really play standard and my extended decks suck because I have yet to get a single Alara block card digitally.) It's only bad if you want rares though, get a ticket or three and shopping for whatever bulk of commons/uncommons you need becomes amazingly easy/cheap.

Even with those complaints, it wasn't going to lead me to expect the 360 game have deck construction and/or end up as a highly graphical Apprentice. Heck, if that were the case I'd be either pissed about it not having computer AI (that's the only way I could see a goal like that being phesable) and thus being about as playable offline as a copy of Team Fortress 2, or the fact that I couldn't log my MTGO account onto it and have access to all the cards I already bought (becuase you know they couldn't set something that large and intricate up unless it was to sell more virtual cards).

I can still see how it's that much of a turnoff though. Cutting deck construction out of MTG is like cutting off Chuck Norriss's testicles.

Oh yeah, and back to the topic at hand. I just got Rodent's Revenge on my NDS flashcart. My life is now complete.
Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 05:06:30 pm by EvilDemonCreature
11 has the best system for any of the romance of the three kingdoms games. everything takes place on the same screen; there is no transition from world map to battle map, everything takes place on the same map and on the same turn as your civil actions, which makes battle completely dynamic. allies and enemies can join and leave battles in the middle, civil actions you take can have repercussions on battles, and actions you take in battle can have effects on nearby cities (for example, destroying a dam or some of the city's buildings). battles are so much more open and there are so many more posibilities than in any of the other games in the series. it's just really unfortunate there is no multiplayer because otherwise rowain and i would have TORN IT UP by now.

also, which nobunaga's ambition game are you playing? there are two for the ps2, iron triangle and rise to power. rise to power is sort of like the older romance of the three kingdoms games, i haven't played much of it, but iron triangle is a lot like romance of the three kingdoms 11 with a slightly different system. the one thing that's nice about it is that soldiers don't necessarily die when you lose them in battle, they can regenerate, which allows you to build a momentum as you conquer cities. instead of taking a long time to rebuild your army after every time you take over a city, your soldiers will regenerate so you can immediately go back to fighting. this eliminates a lot of the really tedious downtime in the romance of the three kingdoms games.

haha i am so dumb i meant to put xi not ix i have not played ix at all

but yeah i like HAVING battles i just wish they worked differently (or were less hard?  idk i just don't like them), and i agree about the multiplayer because this game is just built for it and yet it doesn't have it!  dynasty warriors is the same way, i don't see why there's no online multiplayer (maybe there is in 6 but i haven't checked, probably not).

as for nobunaga's ambition i have iron triangle, and i plan on playing it later today and giving it a proper chance at last, if it's more like 11 than the older ones then i should like it
BRRING! BRRING!
  • Fuzzball of Doom!!!11one
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
man i'm playing so many games right now.
i have a bunch of DS games to play that i recently put on my R4, but i've only played all of them a little bit. and then i also downloaded a bunch of indie and adventure games that i'm working on.
basically here's a list of what i'm playing (and a nice list of recommendations for anyone looking for some good games):

-Mother 3, which is my absolute favorite game EVER. i've already played it 3 times in Japanese and once in English. and i've seen the prologue countless times (from getting other people to start games). however this time i am playing through it with my best friend Dillon because friends don't let friends not play the Mother series. we just finished Earthbound and we're moving on. we're abotu halfway through chapter 1.
-5 Days a Stranger. i played it and beat it back when i was like 6 and then i got about halfway through the sequel. so now i'm playing it again because i forget a lot of stuff and then i am going to play all 3 of the sequels (7 Days a Skeptic, Trilby's Notes, 6 Days a Sacrifice).
-Save the Beagles. it's a really addictive indie side-scrolling arcade game. i have been playing it a lot, trying to get to further levels and get higher scores. plus it's adorable.
-Seiklus. it's a collection game. you just explore and try to find all these little orb things. it's pretty cool and fun and i'm at like 50% right now.
-Retro Game Challenge. a DS game where you play as a kid in the 80s and you play a bunch of arcade-style games that never existed, like "Haggle Man" and "Cosmic Gate". really fun because i love that kind of game. :]
-Sims 3. it's pretty great, and i've always been a fan of the series. has some new features that are pretty cool. customization is pretty much limitless in this one, and i like being able to explore the neighborhood. it was confusing at first but now i'm addicted.
-The Shivah. it's an adventure game where you play as a rabbi. i haven't gotten very far because it keeps glitching up for some reason. my computer is not being able to run it very well but i'm not sure why... so i'm working on fixing that so i can play it more.
-Cactus games. i've played and am playing several games: Illegal Communication, Saru ga Daisuki, Psychosomnium, Clean Asia, etc...
-Jason Rohrer games. i've played Passage, Gravitation, Primrose, and Between. they're all pretty great.
-Syobon Action. hahaha. it's a Mario clone, i guess? just look it up. you play as one of those Japanese futaba cats and go through Mario levels that are actually really evil and not at all like Mario. it's hard because the level tries to kill you, hah.
-Theresia. a horror (and slightly animu-styled) game where you wake up in a dark, bloody cellar and you don't know anything. seems pretty cool from what i've played so far.
-The Legendary Starfy. haha. xD it is so so so easy and obviously meant for younger people... but it is so fffffff ADORABLE. it's actually really fun for me as a casual game. it's got really cute characters and you can collect outfits for Starfy that are just... ridiculously cute. i don't know why i keep playing it but man it is strangely addicting despite it being childish and easy. i think that a lot of older people could still enjoy it.
-God of War. yeah pretty contrasting to the last game on the list. but yeah it's pretty fun. dunno what else to say about it; i'm sure a lot of other GWers have played it.
-Team Fortress 2. i'm always playing this. ffffing addicting, man. i'm liking the new updates.
-World of Warcraft. gotten back into it since it's the summer. i've got a level 18 Warlock Gnome. hoping to get to 30 as soon as possible because i want a mount (although soon the first mounts will be available at level 20).
-Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure. an interesting DS game. has a puzzle game on the bottom screen where you have to connect 3 or more blocks of the same color to keep them from piling up onto the top screen. the top screen has a platformer adventure where you explore jungles as Henry Hatsworth to try and find pieces of a legendary golden outfit. hah. very fun and addicting.
-Peggle Dual Shot. ridiculously addicting. i'm almost done with the classic Peggle levels, and then i get to play Peggle Nights.
-Puzzle Quest: Galactrix. an addicting puzzle DS game that also has tons of other aspects. the puzzle part of it (which is a Bejeweled-type game using hexagonal blocks) is the method of fighting when you are in outer space and you come across enemy ships. it's really good and everyone should play it.

i'd also like to play Prototype, Left 4 Dead, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and various other games. i just have so much to play and not enough time. D:
semper games.
mkk if you are playing retro game challenge to watch game center cx on youtube, that is what it is based on and it is the best show
BRRING! BRRING!
  • VILLAIN
  • Group: Administrator
I'm replaying Final Fantasy 3j on the PSP. Before that I was playing Warcraft II. That last level of the human campaign is pretty hard.
  • I am also known as jimmy7512
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
I'm currently playing Indiana Jones Staff of Kings on my PSP.
RMN Profile
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1446/?p=2#posts

GameJolt Profile
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/action/zombie-outbreak/830/

• "When you're bound by your own convictions, a discipline can be your addiction."
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I've been bouncing back and forth between some old games. In the last couple of months I've spent a little time replaying some of VTM:Bloodlines, Dave Mirra BMX, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, FF7, FF8, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Mass Effect, and Sword of the Berserk:Guts Rage (still can't get past the 'run towards the camera' trap dungeon). I've also been playing Vagrant Story, Berserk:Millennium Falcon Arc, Persona 2:Innocent Sin, and Digital Devil Saga. I'm probably going to fire up Oblivion for a bit over the weekend if I get the time to just veg out for a while.

I may try the Nameless Mod, as I'm a huge fan of Deus Ex and have re-played the thing about a million times, including the RedSun and Zodiac mods.
Vagrancy - Be careful who you wake up in a twenty four hour parking lot.

His name was Not Johnny -  A young man becomes a sort of superhero after a crippling injury. He
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Trying to play through Prototype for a third time but on hard difficulty, and it is actually quite difficult. 
I've also been playing Vagrant Story
So have I, got to be one of my favourite PS1 games even though I only discovered it last year or something.

I'm thinking about jumping back into Deus Ex, and I've never played it with mods so that's kinda interesting.
  • junker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Berserk:Millennium Falcon Arc

high-five

regardless of all the bad in it

:fogetbackflip: