Games What are you playing? (Read 140666 times)

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Has anyone here played pillars of eternity?

I happened upon it just browsing around I think if I remember correctly trying to find a game with narrative that wasn’t fuckin boring and it’s so good, it’s so incredibly good.

I think it’s made by the same developers of baulders gate? It’s Kickstarter founded, a little old maybe 3 or 4 years.

It’s really really good, reminds me of those old school strategy rpgs like the earlier fallouts. Set in a kind of dungeons and dragons world but with a really distinctly esoteric feel. It has these text driven narratives in it like one of those lit rpgs. You can completely customize your character, make choices that build their personalities and make decisions that directly effect the world you live in.

They have a sequel that’s really good too. I’m playing the first one for the second time.

The narrative and writing like the banter and lord is so well done, thoughtful and rich.

I really like it, it’d be cool to see something like that done in the way Barkley shut up and jam or something with a kind of ridiculousness and humor of the way some people used to write around here.

It’s probably my fav right now
  • PEW PEW PEW
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
thanks hundle, always a pleasure to see you post or your take on something that I was never really aware of. besides music, the only thing I've really enjoyed over the past few years has been reading, so maybe visual novels would appeal to me.

I don't think I really like video games anymore. traditional style videogames, I guess. I tried playing Death Stranding after watching Limmy play it just a little, and now the thought of spending any more time with it revolts me. the dialogue and writing is so bad it makes me feel insane and isolated, like there's really actually zero human intelligence on the planet and maybe ever existed, and every time I had thought there was in the past I just imagined it. like imagine earthbound's second-hand impressions of america, except instead of being pleasantly weird and quaint and based off nostalgic 80s and 90s life, it's based exclusively off those fucking awful netflix/prime originals that give the impression they were definitely written by some dumb fucking rich kid who flunked out of his private college's english program and whose parents bought him the gig. I could skip the cut scenes, but the gameplay has nothing to offer either. maybe I didn't get to the good part where it's fun. I'm just not that into the "gameplay as a fucking job" or "gameplay to unlock dumb fucking collectibles" model to trudge through it and find out. I've never played a single other hideo kojima game beyond a PS1 demo disk of mgs, but if this is his idea of his best game I should be glad I never wasted my time. but maybe I just don't like videogames anymore.
Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:19:45 am by rudy the red-beaked reindeer
  • PEW PEW PEW
I have enjoyed watching people play video games lately, though. Limmy is a full-time streamer for life now, and I like the cottage industry of scottish ppl who stream that popped up around him. there recently was a community Rust "season" where everyone was role playing characters that were slight deviations from themselves and improvising dialogue, and it was one of the best things I've seen in a while and maybe the only worthwhile permutation of reality tv there has ever been. it was a lot of fun switching between streams to see what was going on in different cliques. 1030jh's kinda mad-king doofus character and his kinda servant photographer were the best.

I happened upon it just browsing around I think if I remember correctly trying to find a game with narrative that wasn’t fuckin boring and it’s so good, it’s so incredibly good.

I think it’s made by the same developers of baulders gate? It’s Kickstarter founded, a little old maybe 3 or 4 years.

It’s really really good, reminds me of those old school strategy rpgs like the earlier fallouts. Set in a kind of dungeons and dragons world but with a really distinctly esoteric feel. It has these text driven narratives in it like one of those lit rpgs. You can completely customize your character, make choices that build their personalities and make decisions that directly effect the world you live in.

They have a sequel that’s really good too. I’m playing the first one for the second time.

The narrative and writing like the banter and lord is so well done, thoughtful and rich.

I really like it, it’d be cool to see something like that done in the way Barkley shut up and jam or something with a kind of ridiculousness and humor of the way some people used to write around here.

I was a kickstarter supporter or whatever it's called. Josh Sawyer is great and was a significant part of what made Fallout:NV so good, and I was a big fan of the baldur's gate series, so I was pretty stoked about it. then I tried to play it a year or so ago and just couldn't get into it. unlike when I was a kid playing baldur's gate, it felt like a waste of time learning the lore of the world or studying how to make a good character or team setup. I do think this was a problem with me rather than the game to some extent, over the past several years I just haven't been able to give enough of a fuck about anything and it's an issue. unlike BG or NWN2 I just didn't find any of the characters interesting though. I got to the point in the first game where you make it to the big baldurs gate-style city, met like a dwarf or something who seemed maybe interesting but wouldn't fit into my party setup. I should start over and give it another try sometime.
Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:18:17 am by rudy the red-beaked reindeer
  • PipPipPip
I’d suggest looking into it again, up around Christmas time epic I think it was gave the pc version away for free. You can get it on ps4 for 10$

I’ve never really been into games like Baldur’s gate. I’m assuming the dwarf woman you’re talking about is that animancer hanging from a tree.

I love the lore and the characters it’s got an adult lit kinda vibe to it. And the scripted interactions are so awesome

Several times in the game when it comes to making choices I’ll think that I conned the game or picked the best possible outcome for some fuck shit to go down. I love it

And died you get a character or your name inscribed somewhere in it? Because they’ve got places all throughout the game where donators got to leave their mark in it.

There’s also a sequel that’s even better.
  • PEW PEW PEW
Definitely not a character, and I don't remember if I gave enough to get my name in the game or if every supporter did. I gave them money early on and read the status updates for a while, then got bored feeling like it would never be released, and then the next time I checked in they had already released the game for a while and just released deadfire.

Oh, I did play Disco Elysium and enjoyed that. love how I have 9.3 hours logged into it, beat it, and feel like I had a full, engrossing experience with the game, but have like 17+ hours with Death Stranding but am like 1/8th through the story and can barely remember a single thing that happened in it. the game blows

I guess from watching Limmy play it for 10 minutes, I figured the game would use the post-apocalyptic delivery structure to tell all these independent, moving stories revolving around delivering specific items that are important to people, and having the overall story of the game form out of that. I mean, that seems like the obvious choice, seems like a real easy way to make a compelling hit game while telling stories that reflect on society and humanity. Seems real obvious and easy, so who knows why they went full neuron necrosis amazon warehouse but with ghosts
Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 02:32:31 am by rudy the red-beaked reindeer
  • PipPipPip
Yeah that’s the vibe I got from it, undead grub hub. Kojima just seems like he’s lost his fucking mind to me. I guess to a lot of people it’s all, he’s eccentric, brilliant and maybe so but I think he’s too far off the ground to make the kind of games he used to. Or maybe he’s just trying too hard to reinvent the genre
dudde red alert 3 is totally rad man.

I didn't like it at first because I actually still sleep with my Ra2 box under my pillow but it is growing on me lots.

Dead Space is fucking awesome too. It's what Doom 3 tried to be.

Yeah, agreed, it was one of the best
Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 05:26:00 am by Rob77

It’s really really good, reminds me of those old school strategy rpgs like the earlier fallouts. Set in a kind of dungeons and dragons world but with a really distinctly esoteric feel pillow. It has these text driven narratives in it like one of those lit rpgs. You can completely customize your character, make choices that build their personalities and make decisions that directly effect the world you live in.

That`s one of my favs right now too actually 
  • PipPipPip
I love it, they’re coming up with an elder scrolls kind of open world RPG called “Avowed” set within the same universe that looks pretty good. I think the main reason it’s not as successful as it could be is because of the Boulders gate overhead RTS kind of game style, it’s more of a niche gamer type thing. The wold, lore, story telling, and narrative is straight award winning so I think it’ll be a great game. If they can get it out before ES: 6 it could do really well.
Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:16:09 pm by Mope