Art [movie] Where The Wild Things Are (Read 1815 times)

• The MONSTER that lives inside of your COUCH!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
So I saw Where The Wild Things Are at midnight thursday morning.  Premiere wooh!

It was pretty awesome.  Really did a great job at portraying little kid imagination things.  Not everything made sense, but I think thats kinda the way a little kid's brain would work it all out anyway.  He wouldn't think of all the details and since he didnt think of them they werent there.

Intense and really well done.   And beautiful combination of the live action/puppets/cg stuff.

It has gotten some negative reviews though.   People citing slow pacing and a lack of depth in characters, a slim narrative, etc as bad qualities of the movie.

Personally I disagree with all of that.

Thoughts all?
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Can't wait to see this.  Also this:

Really did a great job at portraying little kid imagination things.  Not everything made sense, but I think thats kinda the way a little kid's brain would work it all out anyway.  He wouldn't think of all the details and since he didnt think of them they werent there.

Might explain why I got a really Son of Rambow vibe from the trailer.  The whole time I watched the trailer that's what I kept thinking of, and that movie did a great job of capturing CHILDHOOD which really isn't something a lot of movies can pull off.  I figured that this movie would be the same way.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
I left a big post in the last movie topic but your post reminded me of some other stuff.

I don't think the characters were at all underdeveloped because A: in the book only a few of the wild things were even in more than one scene, and B: the movie did a pretty decent job at using the personalities of the wild things as plot. The movie really didn't have much going on, which was a tad bit slow and boring, but as it progresses you learn the personalities of the things and there's entertainment in that.

The thing I really didn't like was the obvious throw to contemporary culture; if this movie were made even 5 years ago, same people and tech involved, it would have been an entirely different movie.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Can't wait to see this.  Also this:

Might explain why I got a really Son of Rambow vibe from the trailer.  The whole time I watched the trailer that's what I kept thinking of, and that movie did a great job of capturing CHILDHOOD which really isn't something a lot of movies can pull off.  I figured that this movie would be the same way.

I def agree with the son of Rambow vibe.  Totally very similar movies I didn't think about that before!

The thing I really didn't like was the obvious throw to contemporary culture; if this movie were made even 5 years ago, same people and tech involved, it would have been an entirely different movie.

Can you substantiate this in some spoiler tags?
  • TV people want to leave
I def agree with the son of Rambow vibe.  Totally very similar movies I didn't think about that before!

I didn't think of it myself until the second or third time I saw footage from this film, then it just HIT ME I guess.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
sorry i didn't think that was a spoiler since it's pretty obvious even in the trailers
i really just didn't think they'd take it THAT far
  • now das fresh
I think he means can you expand on what exactly you mean in spoiler tags.
yes coulombs are "germaine", did you learn that word at talk like a dick school?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
sorry i didn't think that was a spoiler since it's pretty obvious even in the trailers
i really just didn't think they'd take it THAT far

sub·stan·ti·ate  (sb-stnsh-t)
tr.v. sub·stan·ti·at·ed, sub·stan·ti·at·ing, sub·stan·ti·ates
1. To support with proof or evidence; verify: substantiate an accusation. See Synonyms at confirm.
a. To give material form to; embody.
b. To make firm or solid.
3. To give substance to; make real or actual.
  • Anti-Social Gamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
oh its just that dog
  • Power to the flowers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
how was the soundtrack? anything special?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
sorry ace, i had somehow never heard that word before

the soundtrack is very hipster

don't read this, these is my gripes with the movie after pulling a muscle trying to love it

• Avatar of `~congresman Ron paul~~
  • Legio Morbidius
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Spoiled First World child throws tantrums and bites mother over buying corn that doesn't appeal to his boureois appetite while starved and beaten Third World children die at the ends of imperialist guns worldwide.

Child gets whisked away to fantasy world so as to not have to face the crushing reality that he exists within the richest 10% of the entire population of the human race and that his entire role in life is that of a parasite.

In the end, he learns nothing and returns to his priveleged life of consuming exported goods produced from stolen labor.

That’s right, you have the young gaming with the old(er), white people gaming with black people, men and women, Asian countries gaming with the EU, North Americans gaming with South Americans. Much like world sporting events like the Wolrd Cup, or the Olympics will bring together different nations in friendly competition, (note the recent Asian Cup; Iraq vs. Saudi Arabia, no violence there) we come together. The differences being, we are not divided by our nationalities and we do it 24-7, and on a personal level.

We are a community without borders and without colours, the spirit and diversity of the gaming community is one that should be looked up to, a spirit and diversity other groups should strive toward.
  • :rite:
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Spoiled First World child throws tantrums and bites mother over buying corn that doesn't appeal to his boureois appetite while starved and beaten Third World children die at the ends of imperialist guns worldwide.

Child gets whisked away to fantasy world so as to not have to face the crushing reality that he exists within the richest 10% of the entire population of the human race and that his entire role in life is that of a parasite.

In the end, he learns nothing and returns to his priveleged life of consuming exported goods produced from stolen labor.

you gotta learn to turn off sometimes man
  • Power to the flowers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

the fuck does that mean?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
i would type more but my arms are bothering me so

missing the point

sorry ace, i had somehow never heard that word before

don't read this, these is my gripes with the movie after pulling a muscle trying to love it

you are an idiot
  • aye ess dee eff el cay jay ache

"stolen labor" maybe you should read less marx and more "basic economics"
I USE Q'S INSTEQD OF Q'S
  • PEW PEW PEW

lol review home alone next
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Hey, here's a way better story than Where the Wild things are.

It knows what the point is supposed to be.
  • Avatar of `~congresman Ron paul~~
  • Legio Morbidius
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
lol review home alone next

Rotten overpopulated First World family drains excessive resources from the Third World proletariat to fuel their repugnant, despicably decadent spoiling of their unappreciative children.

The parents further demonstrate their utter and disgusting lack of any identifiable human characteristics by forgetting one of their own children while they consume huge amounts of resources to take the entire parasitic clan on a thoroughly unnecessary and wasteful vacation to Europe.

Child uses myriad toys and supplies culled from the blood and sweat of 95% of the world's population under brutal imperial rule to selfishly and violently defend his family's repulsive superriches against other imperialists who do not obey a rule of law imposed by jackbooted AmeriKKKan thugs in police uniforms.

In the end no lessons are learned whatsoever by the audience or the main characters other than that McCauley Caulkin possesses the inordinate and frightening proclivity to repeatedly injure people over material possessions.

That’s right, you have the young gaming with the old(er), white people gaming with black people, men and women, Asian countries gaming with the EU, North Americans gaming with South Americans. Much like world sporting events like the Wolrd Cup, or the Olympics will bring together different nations in friendly competition, (note the recent Asian Cup; Iraq vs. Saudi Arabia, no violence there) we come together. The differences being, we are not divided by our nationalities and we do it 24-7, and on a personal level.

We are a community without borders and without colours, the spirit and diversity of the gaming community is one that should be looked up to, a spirit and diversity other groups should strive toward.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
you are an idiot

if it wasn't already apparent you buy into exactly this kind of stuff i might actually like to hear why you think that

dom or whoever that is is right pretty much the whole kid being sent to his room and maybe learning a lesson is completely destroyed by the movie, there is no message or ideal added onto the fact that there really is no point or plot to the movie. what you really just watched was a jim henson showcase, which would be totally cool if it had cost half as much