Poetry wh book you read (Read 11706 times)

• Comedy Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Global Moderator
Anyone finished 'Raising Steam' by Terry Pratchett yet? What did people think?

I read reviews of it slating it before I bought it, accusing the publishers of taking advantage of Sir Terry and laughing at him (i.e. just releasing trash to sell, even though he's no longer capable). I'm 2/3rds of the way through currently and can honestly say that it's the Discworld book that's gotten me the most excited since 'Night Watch'. I love Harry King's reintroduction, I like the industrialisation vibe, I'm loving the ham-fisted luddite-religious angle with the Dwarf plot. Everything seems well tied together for a 30th anniversary, 40th book spectacular. I just hope it doesn't lose momentum towards the end now (LIKE A TRAIN, GET IT, BECAUSE THAT WOULD SUCK IF IT HAPPENED TO A TRAIN TOO, IT WOULDN'T GET TO ITS DESTINATION!!!)

Does anyone agree, or are there criticisms that are apparent that I'm not picking up on due to rose-tintedness and shit?
Hey hey hey
  • Scanner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
I haven't been reading at all lately. :(

I need to almost set aside a day where its all that I do. I find that I burn through books a lot faster if I go in 1 session instead of popping in and out.

Though I'm not 'poping in and out' to read at all anymore even since I got a gamepad for my phone I end up just playing Yoshi's Island on an emulator. I used to take my Kindle everywhere but now that I 'by default' have a portable gaming system with me at all times it seems redundant. Maybe I should alternate.
  • Group: BANNED!

╲───────────────────────────────────┐
│ This message was removed as spam. │
└───────────────────────────────────┘
Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 09:20:03 pm by Mr. Malibus
  • Pip
does manga count cause i caught up with all the translated pages of oyasumi punpun, that mangas a fucking trip if i've ever seen one. asano inio knows how to write damn good characters.
Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 04:25:04 am by bwiz
  • Master of Puppets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I just finished Slaughterhouse Five last night. It's a super amazing book and you should totally read it if you haven't already. It's so amazing that a dude could write a book that deals so heavily with a man's supposed abduction by aliens and have that actually strengthen his narrative about the Dresden bombings. I love how humorous and weird it is without taking any of the power away from the subject matter. I need to read a lot more Vonnegut now.
  • Normal Person
I just finished Slaughterhouse Five last night. It's a super amazing book and you should totally read it if you haven't already. It's so amazing that a dude could write a book that deals so heavily with a man's supposed abduction by aliens and have that actually strengthen his narrative about the Dresden bombings. I love how humorous and weird it is without taking any of the power away from the subject matter. I need to read a lot more Vonnegut now.
Oh shiiiiit. I love Vonnegut. My favorite is definitely Cat's Cradle though Breakfast Of Champions is good if you'd like something a little more "stream of consciousness". 
  • Good to go.
  • Pip
does manga count cause i caught up with all the translated pages of oyasumi punpun, that mangas a fucking trip if i've ever seen one. asano inio knows how to write damn good characters.
Infernal hails. I think all 13 volumes were translated when you wrote that, so there isn't really any "caught up". I haven't read (and don't intend to read) the 13th volume because I think appreciate the ambiguity of an open ending more than anything the actual ending could ever bring me.

Right now I'm reading Julius Evola's "Revolt Against The Modern World". It's about his own esoteric interpretations of traditional civilizations compared and contrasted with the degenerate and declining societies of today. Evola's worldviews are definitely some of the most unique and unprecedented among anyone, but a disproportionate amount of attention is focused on the fact that he's elitist and racist.