Music Daft Punk - Random Access Memories, streamable on Grooveshark right now (Read 1788 times)

• Scanner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
A friend of mine let me know that this album was free to stream online right now. Its not out yet, it'll be out in on May 17, 2013 in Australia, May 20, 2013 in the United Kingdom and on May 21, 2013 in the United States (from wikipedia)

http://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/Daft+Punk+Random+Access+Memories/86439304

I just finished "Lose Yourself to Dance" and I liked it but my favorite thus far is "Instant Crush"

They seem to be going for a 60's-70's retro theme or something. Seems like a good fit for their style of electronica music.

Any other Daft Punk lovers here?

EDIT: just letting you know the songs are in reverse order, bottom song is the first, top is the last.
Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:23:36 pm by Warped655
  • Scanner
Oh well, it was taken down already.
  • Dead man
  • Group: Premium Member
Wish I could of herd it. I'm bit of a punk fan in general.
DDay is Dead  I am a dead man typing

• Lichens!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I heard the single they released a few weeks ago and was not impressed in the slightest.   also it's definitely out on torrent sites now, so if anyone is interested, I'm just sayin'
  • Scanner
Suppose that doesn't surprise me. But yeah, I actually did not like Get Lucky all that much at first but it sort of grew on me. It 'fits' well when listening too the entire album. But yeah I've been listening to "Instant Crush" far more than "Get Lucky". Give that a listen ATARI if you have the time.

Here its on Youtube as well apparently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huUsbX8NH3I
  • Worthless Protoplasm
daft punk is so early 2000's Half-Life 2 Newgrounds Bush etc. I bet you like Deadmau5 "I Remember"

also I think they're sort of unwittingly fascist no offense. Go to sleep dream of the next iPad everything is fine

it kind of reminds me of Castlequest for NES but remembered with more primary colors and not experienced for the harsher but stranger beauty of what it really was
Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:48:24 am by Ragnar
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

• Scanner
Unwittingly fascist... *blinks*

You truly are a unique snowflake.

Are you trying to prod me into some sort of argument over musical tastes?
  • Fuckin' A.
i listened to the whole album

it's pretty bad

every single track is twice as long as its ideas

ragnar is p. dead on about that fyi
Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:22:11 am by tuxedo marx
  • Scanner
But, Ragnar didn't mention anything about length. At least not here. Unless its a hidden message in Ragnar's post.

Yeah, I guess Daft Punk is sort of known for having extra long songs for the 'content' though.  Actually, a lot of electronica music is like that. I've always felt it was sort of a standard trope for the genre. Its never really bothered me, but I can see why it might for some people, but that would mean they probably don't like much electronica in the first place or are a bit extra picky about it.

*shrugs* guess I'm alone in liking this album here? I will admit, the reason I like "Instant Crush" so much is probably because Julian Casablancas is the vocalist (and quite likely lyricist from the sound of it). Which I only realized after hearing it so it was sort of a extra pleasant surprise. The rest of the album is pretty standard Daft Punk with a 60's/70's vibe that I think is generally decent to good. Like I've sort of implied, I really think Instant Crush would have been a better single to start with and represent the Album than Get Lucky.

I will also say I like the Tron Legacy Soundtrack album more.

I am curious Ragnar, what electronica do you like? You MAKE electronica music, so I can't help but think that might be fueling your extra critical eye. (I suppose I pose the same question to anyone here if they care to say)
  • I gots a lego!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I really like this album.
www.jmickle.com
  • Scanner
Yeah? You have a favorite track?
  • Lichens!
The tron legacy soundtrack was only mildly interesting at best, certianly nothing for daft punk to write home about, but the first two albums that they put out were really good in my opinion, and even though I haven't really liked anything that they have done in the last decade (mostly because it has been more style than content) I appreciate them and will attempt to litsen to this at somepoint.  They're an electronica band that relies on most of the instrmental and sample stuff/whatevre, but actually tries and makes song rather than dumbass dance shit (deadmou5 etc) that makes most electronic boring (eg most electronica).  That being said, I'm going to listen to this album one of these days, just behind the new QOTSA and dillinger escape plan albums which both recently leaked.  That being said,  I actually appreciate the fact that daft punk has made interesting things out of their longer materials, especially when faced with
  • PipPipPip
fuck you that music made tron

tron without that soundtrack would just look like a fancied comicon convention

electronica has pretty much bored the shit out of me though you can only mix match so many thump thump wee wee sounds before its just a bunch of repetitive white noise imo
  • Lichens!
fuck you that music made tron

tron without that soundtrack would just look like a fancied comicon convention

electronica has pretty much bored the shit out of me though you can only mix match so many thump thump wee wee sounds before its just a bunch of repetitive white noise imo
the tron soundtrack was the best part of the movie no doubt
still a shitty movie
  • Scanner
Heh, I liked Tron Legacy. I think I might have enjoyed it more because I had seen the original Tron for the first time like a week before. But yeah the soundtrack was better than the rest of the movie by far.

I'll also admit to liking a select few Deadmau5 songs though. I guess I have low standards for music? That isn't to say there isn't an entire genre I basically abhor... country music... Nor that there are isn't large swathes of music I get nothing out of but appreciate artistically anyway.

Believe I've posted some Prodigy songs in the "what are you listening" to topic as well. Any opinions on them?

This topic seems to now be about electronica music in general now.

EDIT: OH and Pendulum is fucking great.
Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:59:26 pm by Warped655
  • Lichens!
Heh, I liked Tron Legacy. I think I might have enjoyed it more because I had seen the original Tron for the first time like a week before. But yeah the soundtrack was better than the rest of the movie by far.

I'll also admit to liking a select few Deadmau5 songs though. I guess I have low standards for music? That isn't to say there isn't an entire genre I basically abhor... country music... Nor that there are isn't large swathes of music I get nothing out of but appreciate artistically anyway.

Believe I've posted some Prodigy songs in the "what are you listening" to topic as well. Any opinions on them?

This topic seems to now be about electronica music in general now.

EDIT: OH and Pendulum is fucking great.
I'm sure Deadmau5 has some interesting ideas, but his music just seems trivial as fuck.  I mean, he recently even made a significant blog posting about how ANYONE COULD DO HIS LIVE SHOW with about an hour of training.  (Whether or not this is true is debatable  but considering that he mostly just dances around a laptop in a stupid hat makes it seem to have face validity.)   Regardless though, I think my biggest problem with artists like him is not so much the actual music itself, but the fact that a) people waste money on going to see a concert where someone dances in front of pre-recorded music (how fucking dumb is that), and b) that most of electronica without any sort of cross-over accessibility is basically just background music at best, and as a musician and music lover, it is of my opinion that music should be the forefront rather than simply "Background noise."  (Likely the same reason that I generally dislike most post-rock artists)
  • Scanner
I sort of like "Ghosts 'n' Stuff"... and I think the reason I like it is mostly because pendulum's lead is doing its vocals.

"Raise Your Weapon" is ok. Other than that I'm not super into the rest of his stuff, like I said, select few songs.

I totally agree with you on the prerecorded music concert thing. I always thought that was kind of dumb. I figured there was something I was missing that explained peoples interest. I'll concede I've never had much interest in going to a 'legit' concert either though. I'm not much for spectacle, crowds, or incredibly loud music even if its music I like, and the idea of seeing an artist IRL doesn't get me all that excited.

The only thing that might sort of motivate me to go to something like it is just to at least experience it and being able to say I've done so at least once. But it seems like I'd be just checking off something on a list.

Bit of a tangent there.
  • I gots a lego!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
raise your weapon is a terrible track.

in my opinion
www.jmickle.com
  • Lichens!
I sort of like "Ghosts 'n' Stuff"... and I think the reason I like it is mostly because pendulum's lead is doing its vocals.

"Raise Your Weapon" is ok. Other than that I'm not super into the rest of his stuff, like I said, select few songs.

I totally agree with you on the prerecorded music concert thing. I always thought that was kind of dumb. I figured there was something I was missing that explained peoples interest. I'll concede I've never had much interest in going to a 'legit' concert either though. I'm not much for spectacle, crowds, or incredibly loud music even if its music I like, and the idea of seeing an artist IRL doesn't get me all that excited.

The only thing that might sort of motivate me to go to something like it is just to at least experience it and being able to say I've done so at least once. But it seems like I'd be just checking off something on a list.

Bit of a tangent there.
I couldn't disagree with you more about seeing a good band live.    Obviously seeing the "Big" artists are generally overrated, but seeing a fantastic up and coming band in a local club or something is to die for in my opinion, and there are certainly plenty of bigger artists worth seeing.  Festivals with a good line up are also fantastic if you go with some friends + do some weed or something.   The crowds certainly can suck, but that is also usually correlated with seeing a shitty band (shitty bands tend to have shitty fans).   I've personally only been to two festivals myself (Lollapalooza and the Edmonton Folk Festival), but those were two of the best weekends in my life.  
  • Scanner
raise your weapon is a terrible track.

in my opinion
Eh. *shrugs*

I couldn't disagree with you more about seeing a good band live.    Obviously seeing the "Big" artists are generally overrated, but seeing a fantastic up and coming band in a local club or something is to die for in my opinion, and there are certainly plenty of bigger artists worth seeing.  Festivals with a good line up are also fantastic if you go with some friends + do some weed or something.   The crowds certainly can suck, but that is also usually correlated with seeing a shitty band (shitty bands tend to have shitty fans).   I've personally only been to two festivals myself (Lollapalooza and the Edmonton Folk Festival), but those were two of the best weekends in my life.  
Maybe I don't know what I'm missing? Its just that no individual aspect excites me or if it does, I feel its something I can do outside of concerts anyway.

I certainly can understand having fun at one as its obvious there is a lot of fun to be had, I just don't think a concert would be greater than the sum of its parts for me.

I'm not picky about sound quality, so the 'live' aspect of the music doesn't thrill me. Nor am I the type to care too much about raw instrument playing ability and the concept of a artist not getting the song perfect every time like in a recording would probably bug me. The typical loudness of some bands would just end up making me worry about damaging my ears.

And as much as I like music, I'm not the type to care about discovering new bands that no one else has discovered. Being part of something exclusive in of itself just seems distasteful and unfair to me so that'd never be my aim. If there was something unique that I encountered and saw that it wasn't getting recorded and shared I'd probably be sort of irritated. Its sort of tied to a personal philosophy of mine.

Going to hang out, drink, get high, with friends I can do during any event and I just don't have the 'party' attitude for festivals and well... parties. I get nervous, paranoid, and/or awkward in big social situations, even when everyone seems pretty cool. And I would be to worried about getting in trouble for getting high or drunk in a populated public space to ease out of that neurosis. And in general I'm incredibly risk averse, which would likely paint me as a party pooper.

So yeah, I guess the problem is mostly me, not the concert, I don't deny understanding the appeal. It just seems like it'd be something I wouldn't enjoy.