Tv TV Club + General TV Thread (Current: True Det2) (Read 4923 times) TV awful gross barf disgusting yuck

• i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Is it odd that I am more excited about you liking steven universe over broad city, than I am about you liking True Detective even more the second time around? (then again I already knew that about True Detective, it's just one of those shows that works that way)

also finished watching the first season of Silicon Valley: wasn't sure how good it was going to be, but every single episode I watched genuinely surprised me at how good it was.

They are pretty good at writing characters that don't relate to most people in general, in favor of them relating to you personally. (and not in a sitcom-y way either) If you are prone to calling shows like Workaholics or Broad City as "basic", I'd be really interested in hearing your impressions of a show like this.
  • PEW PEW PEW
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I think ur dad was in episode 5 of true detective.

yeah I dunno about BC. being on CC probably has something to do with being accessible, but even what I've seen of their webseries had parts I didn't like so much. I guess they're in their early 20s or something so they've got room.
They are pretty good at writing characters that don't relate to most people in general, in favor of them relating to you personally. (and not in a sitcom-y way either) If you are prone to calling shows like Workaholics or Broad City as "basic", I'd be really interested in hearing your impressions of a show like this.
I know it's by mike judge and has kumail, andy daly and zach woods. they can all be funny ppl, maybe I'll check it out!

what I've seen of andrew daly's Review is pretty good too
Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:09:49 pm by E-Z Chips
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
I've gotten re-hooked on game of thrones but I haven't seen the last of the fourth season yet.

other than that (Spoile​ queen shithead rape scene being really gross and it slowly but steadily turning into a fratboys Medieval dream I quite like it alot. Especially the whole inter-kingdom political battle and struggle going on.
  • PEW PEW PEW
who is queen shithead? I never watched an episode past the first but I've seen about 20 minutes worth of clips on youtube. I think I've got the gist of it because I can talk about it with fans who have seen every episode. there's really a lot of rape in it huh? that's what it seems like to someone in my position at least
  • ruined former youth seeking atonement
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
earl if you haven't seen game of thrones cherish that, that's rare innocence and you're probably gonna watch it for other reasons later along the lines of 'well every fucking person is talking about this i guess i'll check out the first ep' and then you're in and dang. it's the most beautiful and professionally produced gross shit ever basically. and it gets worse from what i know of the book spoilers. SPOILER: cersei goes on a naked walk of disgrace and they're actually gonna film that. lena headey was warned about it when she was cast and she said okay sure, but dang.

it's got a lot of good elements, which makes it worse. i pretty much wish it didn't exist. my girlfriend loves it. it's...just a difficult thing to contend with day to day.
Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:14:35 pm by jamie
  • ruined former youth seeking atonement
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

nah it wasn't that ep. i know which one, but it's he wants it to be secret. and so it remains.
Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:16:07 pm by jamie
  • PipPipPip
queen shithead is that little snot nosed fucker of a kings momma

Yeah jamie is right. Its really depressing and gross most of the time which it does make sense for the type of time frame and societal constructs but at the same time its just....the fuck? Its like breaking bad in the way that any and everything that can go horribly wrong will and in new and inventive fucked up ways. I like it because I get some sense of realism from media like that but its also soul-crushing. To me it seems like game of thrones is trying to out-dark breaking bad but are using more rape and senseless murder. I wouldn't say its rape fest or anything like that but it is pretty stupid in the way they do it. And like I said for the time frame and society the story takes place that shit happening isn't unrealistic but fucking dark as hell.

And I might sound like a horrible person but that whole rape scene with the queen was just really gross and awkward to me more than all up in arms feminist over it. Because fuck you got some horrible interbreeding well to do dignitaries molesting each other that treat they're people like cattle and that queen character was straight up the worst imo.

• PipPipPipPipPip
I've watched all of game of thrones but I honestly think I could've stopped at any point and never wonder what happened next

it feels so odd to me that this is such a big deal of a show. if I'd never heard of it and someone put it on for a few episodes and told me it was considered a total joke and a flop, something that HBO considered a faintly embarrassing experiment and no-one (outside of a standard-size cult-following) thought much of it, I would have totally accepted that
  • PipPipPipPipPip
anyway some network should adapt The Eye of Argon into a tv show
  • PEW PEW PEW
They then have sex next to their dead son's corpse.[29]

GRITTY REALISM FANTASY sounded pretty terrible to me from the start

I don't know anything about the scene, rape in a tv show doesn't necessarily have anything to do with feminism. it sounds dumb and gratuitous tho.

MORE SHOWS 2 WASTE UR PITIFUL LIFE   :waycool:​   :tongue:​   :redface:
review with forrest macneil: good
nathan for you s2: good so far but REALLY hard to watch without hitting myself on the leg
brooklyn nine-nine: similar to other recent/current popular comedy series, but besides that surprisingly enjoyable. i like chelsea peretti.

nah it wasn't that ep. i know which one, but it's he wants it to be secret. and so it remains.
fu

edited because it looked like I was singling out jamie when really I was talking about ALL our pathetic dumpster lives
Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:35:39 pm by E-Z Chips
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I don't know anything about the scene, rape in a tv show doesn't necessarily have anything to do with feminism. it sounds dumb and gratuitous tho.
well what really bothers me about it is the people who make the show apparently didn't think of that scene as rape and were entirely surprised when people called it that

filming a rape scene and not even realising that's what you're doing is even more fucked up than doing it deliberately for Gritty Realism Cred imo
  • PipPipPip
ok I'm about to spoil some shit so, warning.

The scene in question happens after queens spoiled king-son gets poisoned at some dumb circus jousting esque thing where he spends the entire day degrading his midget uncle and acting like a total piece of shit. The uncle having being forced to be his "wine boy" is immediately blamed by the mother and she shuts the entire city down to imprison and execute him preferably without trial. The scene starts after the mother pulls her lover/brother aside and demands that he executes his own sibling in order to get some invisible revenge that isn't even there. She does this pandering and demanding a couple of times and then finally starts to call the guy a coward or something because he doesn't want to murder his own brother and dude snaps and starts to force himself on her. It starts out just "not right now" and then escalates to some fratboy date rape shit. Its done right next to the boys casket because thats where the dude snaps and it all takes place.

The whole feminism viewpoint I got from it was after reading an article about the game of thrones rape scene and how it and television like it is directly influencing society and is a part of "rape culture". It was more like this long drawn out spheel pretty much directly comparing this fucked up womans relationship with her fucked up brother and a fucked up written story about a fucked up time in a fucked up place is a good comparison of the adversity all women face everywhere. Which I personally do not see as the same thing.
  • PipPipPip
its just wierd because at one instance you see these two fucking and the dude nonchalantly pushes a nine year old out of a multi-story castle tower thing turning him into a paraphalegic just for accidentally walking into them fornicating. and then you have another scene where the same guy is turning more so compassionate but then you have this other scene where hes asked to do pretty much the same thing, goes apeshit and tried to fuck his sister....again.

But the scene isn't forceful heavy hand black you out and assault you stuff its just really really awkward and gross. Think its intended to make you feel that way though. Which might be why the people that wrote it were kind of confused about the impression it left.

Albeit I am definitely not trying to sympathize with any of this shit rape is rape. Abuse is abuse but stories and relationships are influenced by the shit and its there alot of the time. Just got to find a good balance I think, you just got alot of artists trying to get grittier and darker because its an easier avenue least thats what I get out of it..
  • PipPipPip
I did watch that new transformers though and holy shit I did not think it was possible for michael bay to completely destroy and movie nearly as bad as he did that one. Makes Gigli look like an oscar winner.
  • PEW PEW PEW
well what really bothers me about it is the people who make the show apparently didn't think of that scene as rape and were entirely surprised when people called it that

filming a rape scene and not even realising that's what you're doing is even more fucked up than doing it deliberately for Gritty Realism Cred imo
oh I see, yeah for sure.

yeah @ farren I agree, the main issue appears to be them denying/not realizing it's rape. 

the idea to include rape as part of a frivolous fantasy story whereupon the creator has full control of what happens is a little dubious tho. if it's done well & represents the real issues of our world then it has merit, but if it's by some hack trying to be gritty and mature (my ignorant impression of george r. r. r. r. martin) and some oblivious director, its entertainment value really comes into question
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
From my impressions of the issue, here are the conclusions I draw.

Game of Thrones is terrible as a tv show and it's all Breaking Bad's fault.

At least it is giving us a platform to address these issues in the context of how they impact our own world. Even if it is done terribly and fails to represent the real issues of our world, in order to draw that conclusion you have no choice but to give consideration to the issues of our world. By going that far, I see the narrative as already accomplishing its job. It's up to you to decide if the actual story accomplished that job effectively, or if the bastard just ran into the story haphazardly with no regard for anything like a bull into a china shop. I get that author intent and the autonomy over the world he creates counts for everything here. Hell, the very fact that he felt compelled to even have a 'queen shithead' character in the first place, who serves no purpose across FOUR books other than "establishing how practically impossible it really is for literally ANYONE to not completely hate her", raises a TON of red flags that I am literally in no position to even properly address.

Even with all the messiness introducing this kind of writing into mass market mainstream entertainment presents, I still interpret it as an awareness of intent on the author's part. The fact that he could easily be a horrible hack writer writing only for shock value as just another part of the narrative he weaves. People knew what was going on with Jerry Springer's show in the 90's, and how practically nothing about it deserved any serious amount of human attention, but that didn't stop a ton of folks from tuning in all the same. Hell, not a single one of us would even remember that specific name otherwise, and I think even something like that is a statement on society worth not forgetting.
  • PipPipPip
About two years ago my defunct jackass brother and his defunct jackass girlfriend and their defunct jackass friends would all get together and sit down and get high as hell and watch jerry springer mid-day as some sort of modern motherfucking olympiad kind of gross spectator hobby. One time I made the mistake of eating a bunch of hydroponic pscilopsybin mushrooms and what little bitty amount of whatever filter I've ever even managed to have had went away...needless to say I started jabbering nonsensically and in so many complex and philosophical statements and ideas (to them) I went and told them all that they are horribly ignorant and terrible people and are pretty much the direct equivilent of a bunch of goddamn chimpanzees sitting in a tree and watching two dogs fight to the death. It all went over their head anways and made absolutely no senseto them(because they're fucking stupid) as if I was some sorta backwater pentocostyl preacher talking in toungues but.

I think this is how I feel about game of thrones except sometimes its got some sort of warped political/philosophical message about modern society which if you're a smarty pants college kid you feel accomplished for understanding.

I honest to god like the bastard snow and the midget though. They're so fucking awesome. EDC if you ever get ridiculously bored I suggest you sit down and watch it if just for the short guy alone because he is incredible. He's such a damn good actor like no one would have ever known if he hadn't had been pretty much built for that role and completely owned the shit out of it.

and snow because well, I got this fetish for being the black sheep nobody likes but then coming outta nowhere and completely fucking shit up

Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:10:19 am by Mope
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Mushrooms are a hell of a drug, there is just something about psilocybin that puts you in a "manifesto-y" mood.

Yeah, no worries. I'm a fan. I had to read all the books before I let myself get past season 1 of the tv show, but the show is actually making a lot of the more favorable character's plots easier to follow than with the books. That guy knocks Tyrion out of the park and makes it look effortless. I can see why so many folks latch onto Jon Snow despite him being essentially the same character. (I know who you meant, but 'bastard snow' is a redundant statement, that's day 1 stuff dude)
  • PipPipPip
yeah I know. I had actually watched through the whole first couple of seasons before I attempted in vain to catch up and tried to get my gf into it (she's a walking dead nut, which I still haven't even caught the last half of the last season) and caught that "bastard" and "snow" meant the same thing. I think I smoked something and got lethargic and passed the fuck out the first time around and missed that.

Has anyone gotten into Neil Degrasse Tyson's version of Cosmos yet? I've been hearing alot about it and haven't seen a single episode yet and wanna see how it is. I kind of like "how the universe works" and watched a couple of those but had that same problem with the lethargy and gave up on having a grasp on everything after waking up 3/4 through it and then re-watching all of that mindfuck shit over and over again.

Also these are pretty funny articles remotely related:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/25/maher-to-neil-degrasse-tyson-republicans-hate-you-for-being-black-and-smarter-than-them/#.U9PXT4I0UWk.facebook

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/7/24/space-sex-gecko.html?utm_campaign=AJAM&utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Facebook

ahahahaha geckos fucking in outerspace siezed the party mothership and are headed to the lizard people planet they said to hell with it first chance they got.
Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:49:47 pm by Mope
  • PEW PEW PEW
honestly guys I feel like I'm contributing a lot of worthless garbage to this thread and not getting a whole lot of putrefied dreck in return. please shape up.

also finished watching the first season of Silicon Valley: wasn't sure how good it was going to be, but every single episode I watched genuinely surprised me at how good it was.

I'm halfway through, may have more thoughts later

I didn't like the first episode very much. welcome to the world of silicon valley, only I'm not very interested!! I wasn't too into returning to a fantasy & bunch of concepts and terminology I left behind in high school. I didn't see a whole lot else going on.

I decided to try it again tonight just because I know these guys can be funny, and because people whose opinions I trust enjoyed it. Largely for the reason you mentioned (which I forgot about until I came here to post) the next three episodes were pretty good! I don't personally identify with any of the characters, but they strike me as an accurate representation of people who could be in such a situation, and remind me a lot of people I've known/bits of personality I've encountered throughout my life. Like the billionaires, especially Peter Gregory, are so alike Big Wigs I've encountered or seen giving talks. The whole concept in the fourth episode with Richard and Erlich "needing both sides of the brain" was really strong too where it could have been pure junk. They all seem like pretty good characters and so far they have some entertaining chemistry between them. It's great that they managed to write these tech wizards and make them interesting, without sacrificing their silicon valley-ness and trying to make them relate to every average joe xbox. I mean compared to the buglike non-human department store catalog version of nerds in BBT each of these characters is a standalone masterpiece
Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:59:19 am by E-Z Chips