Games ff7 remake and also this is the cranky old nut zone (Read 1512 times)

• Worthless Protoplasm
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Yuffie is the cocky annoying ninja kid thief, but her backstory is intense when you think about it too: she belongs to an ancient society that was destroyed, gutted by Shinra and basically turned into a tourist trap. She hates them because her whole culture got erased and none of her family is willing to take the fight to the company because they don't want to die. so she feels frustrated and lonely enough to join up with the weirdos she distrusts. She's also a selfish cock and will straight up jack your shit, which is no fun to play, but very hilarious and a good idea.

hahahaha I like your interpretation, it makes it sound like the creators of the game actually hate anime/vapid parts of japanese pop culture that is like benign profitable Disney-fied version of what japan really means to them??? Their culture literally destroyed by the soul-stealing megacorp. I tot respect the creators of ff7 if they intended this

edit: oh yeah Yuffie basically is an anime character too. Doomed to be one forever......

edit: Yuffie in a moment of intense rage breaks reality and becomes hyper-realistic japanese woman, for just a moment, and then this

before turning back into FF7 anime version of yuffie and shedding a single tear.....

Edit: real ending of FF7... world of the game is an anime/manga BECAUSE of shinra and soul-sucking machine... game world morphs into hyper-realistic version of feudal japan
Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 12:44:42 pm by Ragnar
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

• Real-time weapon change
  • PipPip
It's being treated like a cash cow instead of a work of entertainment. It's catering to the memories of the fans and not what the game was. It's not turn based, Cloud isn't wearing his bright purple shirt and they're probably going to spell Aeris' name wrong. Ok, nerd rant over.

Seriously though, I agree with everything that's been said (including that one game being the successor to FF7, it's got that quirky old 3D style to it), the problem is common to all arts that are run like a high profit business. Those Sony film emails that were leaked a year or so ago are a good example, with executives listing off story elements like a fanfic writer describing their story on TV Tropes; the new Star Wars was another good example, an ok movie that just went through the motions of hitting the plot beats from the original trilogy and felt like a retread full of plotholes because of it. If you try to do a cold, clinical approach to a creative product it suffers.

Squenix does have a lot of talented and creative people who could preserve the original's charm, but most of the ones I can think of are busy working on next year's Final Fantasy 14 expansion.
  • HO HO HO
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
just wanted to say that the first hour of the original ff7 is still very very good i played through it again recently and everything that i loved it still there and wasn't misremembered or emphasised by nostalgia or whatever
http://angrygeometry.wordpress.com
  • Group: Member
While were on the subject of whether it's nostalgia, I only just played it for the first time like 3 years ago, and it was still thoroughly entertaining, even for someone like me who really isn't that big on turn based rpg's in general.
  • ;Wyrm
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I have never played FF7, so I don't really have any feelings about the remake. In fact, so many years since I last touched a jrpg, let alone a final fantasy.. if one day I have time or interest in playing a jrpg, I might give a try to see how it feels as an adult who didn't have the FF7 experience as a teen. Does it hold up? Did you have to "be there" to appreciate it? Does Sephiroth really kill Aeris?
yo, your name is a local area code. you a newf? 
Wyrm  | Madolah | ær 

I have never played FF7, so I don't really have any feelings about the remake. In fact, so many years since I last touched a jrpg, let alone a final fantasy.. if one day I have time or interest in playing a jrpg, I might give a try to see how it feels as an adult who didn't have the FF7 experience as a teen. Does it hold up? Did you have to "be there" to appreciate it? Does Sephiroth really kill Aeris?

Really? But nope, sorry. The name has mathematical origin: link
  • Comedy Bronze
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Global Moderator
One of my colleagues is super into this game (as am I obviously) and he convinced me to replay it recently. I had a whale of a time!

This is also one of the first games that my partner (of 12 years now wtf) and I played through together (after PAPER MARIO 2 and SUIKODEN 3!!) so it has a special place for us. Also there's this really expensive cloud statue sitting on our shelf that I am FOREVER UNFORGIVEN regarding because I knocked it and a bit of his hair broke off and now it will never be the same apparently. Like that genuinely gets brought up every six months or so like "WELL REMEMBER WHEN YOU BROKE THAT?"

I played it originally when I was like 11 or 12, just after I played suikoden, back in like 1997? I rented it overnight for £2 and basically begged my nan to let me get it for a week after fighting the robot scorpion, then rented it like incessantly thereafter. I get chills of EXCITEMENT whenever I think about it, really.

I had issues with Advent Children (to the point where I haven't seen it). I considered the original to have a fantastic ending (or like what I perceived the ending to be), really bittersweet. I didn't feel that I needed some ANOTHER ADVENTURE WITH THE GANG bullshit to come along (like hey i thought everyone die what happen).

I'm still going to get this remake, because it's like how can I not? But I am heavily reserving judgement and not letting myself get excited. I am also wary of the battle system. I LIKE taking turns to hit each other. When I first was playing Paper Mario 2 with my partner, his reaction was "WTF why are they standing around being polite and taking it in turns to do attacks", and like I couldn't explain why it was great. I had to SHOW - and he converted.Abstractions and shit man. I don't get annoyed at chess because I can't actually see the knight fuck a bishop up good and proper with a sword.

No, I get annoyed with chess because I suck at it.
Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:33:06 am by Faust
Hey hey hey
  • Worthless Protoplasm

Really? But nope, sorry. The name has mathematical origin: link

haha nice

• Power to the parsley
  • PipPipPipPipPip
It really is kind of surprising and very IMPORTANT to video games as a WHOLE

that Vasily's games look more like FFVII than literally any other game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw1iEQo0VRY

The actually crazy guy evokes FFVII better than the official damn remake. He's not even trying. (Or is it that FFVII evokes Vasily?)
Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:40:27 am by Ice Baby1
  • Power to the parsley
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Really think on that... if like, twenty years after The Godfather, they just made it over again while dropping everything about how it looked and felt. The one person still capable of making a movie that looks anything like it is an insane man. Now I'm in a movie pitch...?
Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:40:03 am by Ice Baby1
  • Worthless Protoplasm
if schizophrenia looks like final fantasy VII/early 3D in general i'm in

i do kind of think decades/pop culture of a certain time period is a kind of collective insanity in a way tho. Like u-ziq is doing footwork or something now and it sounds like ableton/reason/whatever with like zero personality compared to his 90s stuff (which fortunately he has tons of in some vault somewhere)

https://mikeparadinas.bandcamp.com/track/millennium-hand-shrimp this only could've only existed/been made in the 90s. what even is this

edit: says 2016 but it was actually made shortly after lunatic harness. both ff7 and lunatic harness were made in 1997. coincidence??

like I really think that the creator of FF7 if they're alive or what /couldn't/ make FF7 today.... like nothing to do with intent or playing it safe or artistic integrity... like literal brain impulses required to create/conceive of such a game are no longer possible due to alignment of planets or something weird

edit: kind of scary come to think of it... like what if whatever kind of thought process/worldview the 90s was is just entirely GONE.. impossible to think like a 90s person, as much as pretending to be from some random isolated tribe in the amazon

edit: the only thing japan is still spot on with with videogames is the process of coding/developing their games/systems is still very mysterious/open to speculation?? like i think the final fantasy games now run on something called the WHITE ENGINE which is the most hilarious name but it's hella more mysterious than unreal engine 42 or whatever
Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:16:28 am by Ragnar

• Power to the parsley
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Oh Shit........

Why you can't... that is actually really scary and heavy to think about! the highest level of art... making something that seems to truly BE from another decade.... how could someone reproduce and fake the signals that confirm 90s pedigree? Everyone thinks differently every year as individuals construe revelations daily!!!! The gulf of 10 groups of 365ish rotations around the sun... and we're gone! Have you ever seen something from the last few years that truly seemed to BE from another decade? Is it even possible?????? You can get close but where's the chasm?
  • Power to the parsley
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Toriyama was apparently responsible for some weird scenes in ffvii. And he tried to get one in where Wedge Biggs and Jessie try to combine into one like a protagonist party... So sayeth tristero I think back in dumptopic somewhere.

I too love the Japan manufacture mystery process. It's really hard for me to find videos of manga and anime artists actually drawing. Or I'm just really bad at it! They usually don't even like being photographed. I found one thing of Toriyama drawing the girl from Dr. Slump and it was like watching a wizard!! There's like two seconds of him moving his pen with such confidence and speed that it looks alien. I wonder what he even does now? DQ, DQ, DQ?? Or day-to-day?
Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:57:05 am by Ice Baby1
  • Power to the parsley
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Oh, no... I can't even think like I did ten minutes ago. The vault is locked forever and we have to continue drilling eye holes.
  • Real-time weapon change
  • PipPip
Toriyama was apparently responsible for some weird scenes in ffvii. And he tried to get one in where Wedge Biggs and Jessie try to combine into one like a protagonist party... So sayeth tristero I think back in dumptopic somewhere.

I too love the Japan manufacture mystery process. It's really hard for me to find videos of manga and anime artists actually drawing. Or I'm just really bad at it! They usually don't even like being photographed. I found one thing of Toriyama drawing the girl from Dr. Slump and it was like watching a wizard!! There's like two seconds of him moving his pen with such confidence and speed that it looks alien. I wonder what he even does now? DQ, DQ, DQ?? Or day-to-day?
There's a new Dragonball thing, so he's not just relying on Dragon Quest.
  • Worthless Protoplasm
i hope my stuff comes across as uh... not like another decade but just something really specific and weird and in the moment, like I dunno if I even /can/ not make music like I do, or at least I know when I'm having the right train of thought, like it has a smell or something (synesthesiashits) I have certain software I like (jeskola buzz etc.) but that's more about convenience/using what's most intuitive to me instead of worrying about some random feature that nobody needs like some specific granular spectral delay, like not basing your choice of tools off something stupid like that. I might make a modular synth plugin at some point but I'm not sure if it can be done (weird branching signal flow that is capable of detecting feedback no matter how complex the patch is) without recursion (cause Reaper's language doesn't allow recursion holy lol)
Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 12:20:00 pm by Ragnar