Tech GW Film Competition//Devlogs (Read 1688 times)

• :O~
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
If you're taking part in BunnyMilk's Filmmaking Competition, and didn't want to make a website like BM suggested and needed somewhere to track the creation of your film, this would be the place to do it.

Filmmaking is really a learning process, probably everytime you create a film and try to step outside of your norm, or achieve new heights, you're learning something new. Whether it's locations, actors, time, scripts, you're going to learn something new.

And here is BunnyMilk to tell you more about the use of a devlog:
You MUST keep a development diary of your film making so that we not only know how your film is faring and that you are still working on it but we can keep up with the trials of film making and the problems you encounter. You don't have to give away the storyline and the plot twist at the end but it's for those of us who are interested in finding out about these hidden stages of film making and it eliminates that 2 month silence where we are all just waiting for each other to finish. Hopefully this will be pretty cool.

So, here goes.
youtube.com/teamhibbert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
[Dev ][/Dev] [29/08/07]

Okay, so basically I'm sort of rattled right now.

On the first day of the contest, I began some 'set building' for the project, which didn't exactly turn out how I wanted, but it was basically just a test. But realising the problems involved in doing that, and plus having the huge disadvantage of making the short film with my mobile phone (although I had a sweet homemade tripod for the job), I'm stuck.

I'm not sure, whether to continue doing what I'm doing with the mobile phone, or I wait a few weeks before I get my hands on college equipment and do it for real. I'm starting to think I probably should go down that route, but I won't have as much time.

Hmm. Well, I'll probably wait.

I can write a script during the waiting time. Cue script writing.
youtube.com/teamhibbert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Oh nice one Esh, thanks for getting this going. I was putting it off due to my own lack of work on the subject. Let's get the ball rolling.

Day 1 - 29/8/07

I've pretty much been having a lot of trouble deciding the theme of the movie. I've never even experimented with this kind of thing before so it's pretty new to me despite always being something I've wanted to do. I want to try and make it is professional looking as possible but I'm pretty worried it will contrast with the possibility that other people will make "gamingw joke movie lol what is this serious movie bullshit with a storyline? who the fuck wrote this?"

I've come up with a basis for a script and I'm going to start storyboarding it around next week. (Yeah, storyboarding. I'm doing this shit fo' real.) It's going to be pretty damn hilarious to see how what I imagine in my head comes out on shitty digi-cam though.

EQUIPMENT: What the hell? Yeah let's talk about the horrible equipment I am using. A Canon Powershot A400 picture cam. It can record about a minute of footage before I have to empty it onto my computer, wipe it and refilm.... This is going to be tedious as hell.

My biggest worry however is that of sound. Not only sound quality in recording but the legality of using copyright music in the feature. I've pretty much come down to "fuck it i am not making profit who will give a shit?" so that's where that stands and leaves me with just "how will anyone hear what people are saying when my camera picks up sound REALLY SHITLY?" And it's not like I can use a microphone to do voice over, I and my friends are bad enough actors as it is.

DAY 2: Back to The Drawing Board.

Well damn. I think I have overstepped a little bit here and written a script for something that could potentially last up to about 20 minutes long. I was trying to go pretty HOLLYWOOD on this and I think I moved past the point of "short film." I'm currently debating whether I should really try and pull it off with no experience in making film or anything before or whether I should just jump right back to the drawing board and try and come up with something a lot simpler.

Tough Question.

DAY 3: 5/9/07
I'm getting to a point where I feel I'm ready to start filming. I've decided to fuck the script entirely and do the whole thing on improv. This is going to be a really bad idea but I can get down basic quotes and things that need to be said and deal with it from there. After all I am pretty much the only person in my movie. So I'm just gonna get down to business and do it.
Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 09:24:39 pm by _douglas
now is the winter of our discontent
  • Fascist
  • PipPipPip
I probably won't make a movie. This is my devlog for the movie I won't make though.

Day 1-4 23-26.8
(day1)I had this wonderful idea of plugging my webcam to my laptop for mobile shooting. After installing the necessary software I find that I get a frame rate of 6 frames per second. I still consider doing it, perhaps updating the programs will help but I don't really feel like it then because that means I have to unplug the desktop from the internet and crawl around under my desk and I don't feel to well...
(day2)Was going to do the shooting in the evening after going to watch Planet Terror but this day didn't turn out as planned. Instead there was lots of lying in bed feeling sorry for myself with a huge headache and probably a gentle fever.
(day3)Better than the day before but no shooting, instead I just go watch Planet Terror and then straight home. Not feeling overly well but fortunately I don't drive over anyone on the way home.
(day4)I install and upgrade the programs for the webcam to my laptop but still get six frames per secon. It's probably a slow usb or just the fact that my laptop is crappy and old. Change of plan. I know have four options. Coming up with something that works with six frames per second. Coming up with something that works with the camera being stationary close to my desktop and its immediate surroundings. Doing a stop-motion thing with lego or something. Pulling out the old photo camera and start shooting things in 30-second bits again.

Damn.
"I'm just a nationalistic Swedish-speaking Finn"
"Aivan, mutta suomalaiset juovat toki olutta."
 I never forget an Insult nor do I forget a compliment.
  • Mysterious Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Day 1 - 29/8/07

The project is on!
I intend to make this movie using some of the usual methods: Brainstorm > Script > Shooting script/Storyboard > Production > Post-production (editing etc). Reasons for all these steps are mainly because I enjoy going into detail, as well as the fact that it really makes things easier while filming. But that's just me, hehe!

The first thing for me to decide was what kind of film I wanted to make. A serious one, or perhaps just a simple comedy and hide the fact that I can't make serious films without them ending up corny? After much thinking I decided to call a friend of mine who I know would end up helping out. We talked and settled with a light-hearted film based on an earlier idea we've had. Neither of us have touched a camera for the past year but we've learned a couple of new tricks that we both wanted to use in the film, we agreed on that at least.

Unfortunately, since we're no longer in school we can't borrow stuff so we discussed using my old Sony DCR-TRV25 camcorder, which is a nice and trusty camera but not the best by today's standards. After a long talk we had a basic story and the next step would be for me to write a script for the film and work from there.
Ock ock, Ack ack!
Beware of the cursed monkey spit!
  • The MONSTER that lives inside of your COUCH!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
teen open diary day 00000001 - 08/29/07

i am taking off my clothes
in preparation for putting them back on
uh
i am doing a stop motion film!  i am still pondering the concept.  equipment wise I am using a canon rebel still camera.  yeah.  i started building my set today.  im still not really sure what this will be about, but i am building a NUMBER OF EXOTIC LOCATIONS in which to FILM.  I have to figure out how to light as well for this.

COMPLICATED SHIT.

teen open diary day 00000002 - 08/29/07+1

developed a little bit more of a concept.  just finished first experiment in stop motion film in a looong time.  going to have to build bigger sets and use more malleable things to make these guys.  old guitar strings are not good joints not bendy enough!  uhhh got some nice awesome tricks going with this.  going to compile it now but i have to acquire proper software.  im thinking adobe uhh adobe what the fuck is it.  adobe um aftereffects yeah.  maybe that.  or maybe just a combination of photoshop and flash.  I DONT KNOW.  anyway i love you tod

teen open diary day 00000004 - 08/31/07

did nothing.  but tomorrow i will attempt to compile the short test thing that i shot.

tod 00006 - 09/02/07
dont worry this will spoil nothing about my film!!!!  these models and shit arent even the ones i will use.
http://www.gamingw.net/pubaccess/25568/Exoexistential%20Pharmacology%20wAudio%20small.avi
that is my test animation with some super shitty and lazy sound in it-- i couldnt really do anything because it is so quick and incoherent.  i obviously need to work on my technique a lot and get used to taking more pictures.  probably make bigger models so they are easily to manipulate and thus animate.

but progress!
Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 11:10:13 pm by Couch
  • PipPipPipPip
Well I guess I gotta get going on this at one point or another!

Day 1 - 08/30/07
Almost done with the scenario, I think I'm going to use an old idea of mine that I've been wanting to do for a while but didn't have the heart, motivation or drive to do so and this is the perfect time to do something that doesn't really have a deep meaning behind it. The film looks like it could end up around the 3 minutes mark, which is pretty respectable for a such a short and simple concept.

Went to the film technician yesterday, asked if I could use the school equipment. Seems I have until week 5 to do so then the equipment's going to be rented all the time during week-ends. I'm going to have to go scouting for locations during the week-end. Byward Market might work, but I think I'm going to have to call the mayor's office to see if it's no problem that I film there. Let's hope not!

If I only have 5 weeks, that means I'll have to get the shooting script done very soon too. Can't let anything to chance when you're under such short notice.
"If evil truly exists, it has been bred from the heart of men."
"Humans are lone animals living in society."
DAY 2: Back to The Drawing Board.

Well damn. I think I have overstepped a little bit here and written a script for something that could potentially last up to about 20 minutes long. I was trying to go pretty HOLLYWOOD on this and I think I moved past the point of "short film." I'm currently debating whether I should really try and pull it off with no experience in making film or anything before or whether I should just jump right back to the drawing board and try and come up with something a lot simpler.

Tough Question.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
wait are we supposed to REPLY with new entries or simply edit our post with them?
I didn't really think about it but I think Editing is probably the best idea. It keeps it more organized so I will sort my post out later.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Does it really matter?
youtube.com/teamhibbert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
what do you mean?  posting new entries as replies will kinda clutter it up so if you want to find like all of one persons entries you will have to sort through all of them.  if all of one persons entries are in one post, then you can find em easy.

still though, it doesnt update the topic status and people wont know that you posted.  maybe we should just reply with our entries and also keep them in a master post at the start of the thread?
  • some sort of land-cow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Entry 1 - Outer Mongolia? Don't be ridiculous... 09/03/07

As I stare blankly at the open Word document, I think to myself about all the awesome ideas I've had for movies. Where did they go? Maybe elsewhere? The store? Outer Mongolia? Who knows. I've decided that I am to do some kind of mockumentary, in the classic style, more like something that shouldn't quite be on National Geographic. I've got a bunch of ideas for subjects, its just a matter of picking one and when I look into the bottom of an empty coffe cup, and notice the gristle and sugar left behind from this morning's elixir, I can't even come close to choosing.
  My friend Maddy said she'd help.  I'll lasso her into it like a hapless calf. "Steal her camera," my shoudler devil urges me. I haven't seen the angel in a while... he must be on vacation.

Entry 2 - Theme Song Completed 09/05/07
  I have decided instead to do some kind of storyboard animation, and make it perhaps like a commic book esque-cartoon with voice over, similar to the old Iron Man or Captain America cartoons. Its going to be called "The Galactic Adventures Of Space Detective Rex Fantastic: Inventor Extaordinaire" and be a segment of a serial adventure. Maybe I can root through my old comic collection and find something of use.
  I have written a theme song in prepratory glee.
Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 01:57:04 am by Blitzen
outerspacepotatoman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
did this die?  is anybody still doing their shit?
  • Mysterious Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
I'm still working on mine... just haven't been updating like I should.
I'll probably end up making this even if the contest dies...
Ock ock, Ack ack!
If you are still working then it's not dead. I haven't really been able to work on anything since I have been back at work I have no free time. I might possibly still cook something else up but until then just waiting for the deadline to roll on. I forget when it was though.
  • Mysterious Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Day ? - 20/9/07

Today I've finally finished the first draft of the script for my film. What struck me first when I re-read it was "How the hell am I gonna do this... seriously?". The film requires quite alot of pre-planning and will most likely be the most challenging film I've done so far... that is if I manage to fulfill what has been written in the script.

I've slowly discussed with my brother (who will be helping out) where and how we can shoot this film. The location isn't really affected by the script since all the actions can be made both in and outdoors. We're going to use some things that are quite expensive and fragile so we have to take that into consideration when planning all the "action scenes".

That's all for now!
Ock ock, Ack ack!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
So I went into college today looking for a set I created in the previous year. It was designed for the film I'm planning to create now, but I never followed through with it due to work.

I searched for it, but it turns out the staff had binned it.

RIP Bar scene. :<

EDIT: UPDATE

Having doubts about hitting the deadline. But I'm planning to start filming a short probably during half term (26th - 1st)
Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 03:01:37 pm by Esh
youtube.com/teamhibbert
I forgot when the deadline for this was/is but how is everyone doing with it? I've pretty much done nothing so far but I recently had a bit of a burst of inspiration to get something done for it. If nobody else is participating however perhaps it would be best to just cut this and drop it all. I spoke to Raziel about a few ideas the other day so it's possible that he is still working on it however, it's just the devlog idea fell through completely so It's hard to know who is still planning on submitting anything as I've had no entries so far.

Just let me know how it is going guys.
  • more cowbell!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
EQUIPMENT: What the hell? Yeah let's talk about the horrible equipment I am using. A Canon Powershot A400 picture cam. It can record about a minute of footage before I have to empty it onto my computer, wipe it and refilm.... This is going to be tedious as hell.
That's like MANOS: HANDS OF FATE. Haha.
http://www.fallingbot.com/