Games .Hack (Read 125 times)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
I didn't check for an old topic, but this is important.

I'm entranced by it. The story is pretty great, though slow moving, and the characters are all cliches in both manner and appearance. Yet I can't get away!
I think the cliches work because the story is set in an online game, whereas fanboys and preteens would be using them in real life.

Right now I have bought the first 5 episodes of .Hack//Roots on DVD, and finished them all within two hours. I'm pretty sure the only development storywise was Haseo joining the Twilight Bridgade, and that happened in the third episode. I have no idea why it took 5 episodes to show absolutely nothing, but they must've done something right, because I ordered the next two DVDs ten minutes ago.
I saw a lot of .Hack//Sign when it was on the saturday night line up on adult swim, but it's been a long time and I don't recall seeing any resolution. //Legend of the Twilight is a travesty and I refuse to even acknowledge it as part of the series. I've only seen like two episodes, but it seems very clearly to be chibi-anime.
The anime does have the best soundtrack I've ever heard in an anime before though. I've rewatched a few of the episodes just to hear it!

Has anyone read the manga or played the games? Supposedly there are 4 PS2 games along the main storyline, and then 3 more to go with //Roots.
Anyone who has not indulged in all that is .Hack should definitely do so, especially if you are a fan of online games.
  • kaworu*Sigh*Isnt he the cutest person ever
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I've played one of the PS2 games, and it was really quite interesting and had some cool concepts, but the gameplay was so beyond repetative that I totally lost interest. Which is a shame. It come with a DVD. Linearity or something (something of an ironic title I must say!) and it is without a doubt one of the most boring pieces of animation I have ever seen. the story was dull, the characters totally uninspired and uninteresting and that nothing happened throughout the whole episode.
  • The man in the woods.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
It was liminality.

And yes... everything about it was repetitive. Hack//Sign was a rehash of the game... literally. Character and all. Same characters... slightly different color schemes. Hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet? Same thing. Only this time the main characters are incestuous twins who play (along with other characters of this series) chibi versions of the original characters... meanwhile having rehashed characters they left out from the previous anime. As for Hack//Roots or any of the games beyond the second one? Sorry... but I learned from my past mistakes. Not giving this series another chance.
  • Comrade!
  • Pip
Didn't sign come before the game?
  • The man in the woods.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
All of the orignal CA where from the games.. so even if the anime was released first... work on the game came before anything else.
  • Please don't fondle the mannequins, ma'am.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Member
I read the legend of the Twilight manga. It was... okay. Nothing I'd play money for (got it from the school library) or go throught eh trouble of reading again. It wasn't really memorable. Same thing with the anime.

.hack//Sign, on the other hand... I didn't think it was possible to sleep through an anime until I watched that show. Also, Subaru made me want to punch someone in the head. Beautiful animation... you know, when they actually decided to ANIMATE instead of having the characters sit around and talk to each other all the time. I'm all for in depth dialogue and I have no problem with long conversations, but PLEASE I do not want to see them zoom in and out on th silhouettes of two characters talking for ten minutes straight. Please.