Games Morrowind Vs. Oblivion (Read 4401 times)

• BAA2U
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
neither, get ultima underworld
  • Watch out Kitty! The room turned sideways!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
I played a little bit of Daggerfall, but not much. I can say that it was fucking HUGE. Though, while it was huge, the world was pretty bland and stuff.
Yeah I didn't care too much for the landscapes but it had the fast travel system and the battle system kicked so much ass.
  • THE FAT ONE
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Daggerfall had a better combat system, a more friendly user interface, and more customization. The graphics sucked and there was almost no voice acting but it was the best. I don't know why they changed the battle system other than CONSOLE PLAYERS seriously.

Are you high, dude?  The combat in Daggerfall and Arena is pretty much exactly like Morrowind except you had to waggle the mouse to attack.  Stats still played a role in determining how you hit or dodged and the interface was clunkier than Ultima Underworld.  Even worse was how every enemy had ESP and could track you down regardless of where you were and they moved lightning fast.

At least Morrowind included stealth and Oblivion almost perfected it.  Also Daggerfall and Arena were pretty unfriendly and contained enemies that roamed town at night and NPC's pretty much ignored every enemy.  There's nothing funnier than being told to kill a giant spider in a tavern and find it wandering around bar area where 30 people are drinking then you accidentally hit a friendly and have the town guard coming after you.
Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 12:57:01 am by Marcus
  • sea of vodka
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Daggerfall had a better combat system, a more friendly user interface, and more customization. The graphics sucked and there was almost no voice acting but it was the best. I don't know why they changed the battle system other than CONSOLE PLAYERS seriously.
the combat in daggerfall wasn't especially good, man.  it wasn't as MINDLESSLY BUTTON MASHY but it wasn't much better at all!  also what about the interface was more friendly?  morrowind's and oblivion's felt pretty intuitive to me.  also the world was less convincing/persistent i would say and not really nearly as interesting to explore, it was ugly, and the dialogue was even WORSE than morrowind/oblivion.  also more customization isn't necessarily automatically better.  morrowind/oblivion gave you a pretty good amount of control over your dude.  i would've liked to be able to have more control after the initial setting of the stats, but i don't think the additional customization in daggerfall really made a huge impact.  also like marcus said, oblivion and morrowind integrated a lot more interesting/varied mechanics into the gameplay.

idk i do not really understand the set of standards by which oblivion is an AWFUL AWFUL GAME but other shitty fantasy games like daggerfall and gothic are somehow really really good.  they're all pretty close in terms of quality imo!
  • Wind of Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I had fun with Oblivion, but more with Morrowind. Oblivion has WAY better graphics and physics though. They both have their strong points, really.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
I had a lot more fun with Oblivion than I did with Morrowind. Perhaps it was a mistake to buy Morrowind after I've played Oblivion, I dunno. But I really do miss the things that Oblivion had, like Fast travel, red dot for your objective, the simpler dialogue system (Greying out the dialogue choice that you've seen already), the mods and other things. I didn't mind the environment graphics, but I thought the characters were very ugly and blocky, which I didn't like. Oh yes, the barren lands with the flying bird thingies was really annoying. I also feel like my character in Morrowind, even with high speed, moves too slow. And I'm not walking either.

I tried getting into Morrowind, I did a few quests, got into Fighters Guild, explored around a bit, but I got bored of it so I went back to Oblivion.

But yeah, I do have a problem with Oblivions caves, gates, and ayleid ruins, they all look alike. I preferred to stay around the towns rather than go cave exploring. Plus the random treasure you get tends to be worthless (Hard lock for 10 Gold and a Lettuce). But yeah, The Summitmist manor and other dark brotherhood quests (other than this one that you have to go in the snowy mountains to look for this guy, it took forever to find him) were nice.
http://dev.oceansdream.net
  • No, it doesn't stand for anything.
Morrowind interested me much more because it was just so much more immersive and the world really sucked you in. Oblivion didn't do that. It took place in such a generic fantasy setting and, for some reason, the AI felt more static to me. I don't know, in Morrowind the AI characters just had more personality. You could tell just by looking at them. In Oblivion, all you see everywhere are people with goofy grins plastered on their faces and they have so little to say compared to in Morrowind where generic NPCs had PAGES of dialogue.

Oblivion was prettier and had better gameplay, but Morrowind was superior in the environment and immersion department.

Also Morrowind music beats the shit out of Oblivion's soundtrack.
  • junker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Both soundtracks suck major dick. Most songs in them would put me to sleep but put me in a BORED SLEEP.

Yeah, that bad.

Thank god in BOTH you can add your own songs instead.
  • No, it doesn't stand for anything.
Really? In my opinion, Morrowind has the best game soundtrack ever and the opening theme is just.... so epic!!

I was disappointed with Oblivion's soundtrack because overall, it just seemed to be a step down from what Jeremy Soule did for Morrowind. You'd think he'd aim higher with the next TES game, but no.. Oblivion's music lacked that really engaging tone that sucked you into the game world. It was GOOD, but it wasn't... MORROWIND GOOD.
Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:19:24 am by UPRC
  • Artist, novelist, gamer, and friend.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
This topic has encouraged me to play Oblivion again, taking photos as I go.
  • By by
  • PipPipPipPip
Horrorwind's soundtrack sounds like movie music... It put me too sleep with it's overall lack of focus on rhythm, percussion and melody, 3 things very important to videogame music.

Thats problem with videogame music now or days... it's beginning to sound more like movie scores. Videogame music is completely different from movie scores!
  • Your games >>> My games D:
  • PipPipPipPip
well I'd say neither and that you should just get Planescape: Torment but if you have to have one of those elder scrolls games get Oblivion unless you actually give a shit about reading gigantic walls of text to figure out what the hell is going on (PROTIP: you don't care enough, trust me on this)

p.s. you get to drop a moose head on a guy how could you pick morrowind over this
Anyway... I played a bit of this... And I'm not so fond of the setting. I hate that whole ghetto "gangsta fo life" thing, and I've never been much of a baseball player.
  • The only 14 years old rm2k3 master
Can't say a thing about morrowind, but oblivion was a huge let down. I mean the physics are cool, but we don't get much ability to do something with it. Well different spells I mean. I could make the most damaging attack ever, but it would still be a puny fireball. I wanted some kind of meteor, and do something more with telekinesis (like picking up a sword and throwing at someone, and acctualy doing damage). And the weapon enchating sucks so hard too. You can only get about 16 hits with any decent effect and it's gone. Oh and level scaling, some mods fix that though. It would be perfect if not for some stupidly retarted things.
  • THE FAT ONE
I wanted some kind of meteor, and do something more with telekinesis

There's a really awesome mod for Oblivion (forgot the name) that basically makes everything fucking hardcore.  I'm talking about assassination moves, decapitations, neck slitting, bifurcation, and it adds a bunch of ridiculously damaging spells like meteor shower and mini-nuke.
  • beanie! i'm the beanie boy!
For me, the little things in a game is what i like most about it, not its main plot, or its graphics, morrowind was a GREAT game, but i think i had WAY more fun playing oblivion, the battles are better, casting spells is easier, and theres less skills

im morrowind there is a mace skill, blunt skill, longsword skill, shortsword skill, light armor, medium armor, heave armor...and so on, oblivion has sword, blunt, heavy armor, light armor...boom, less skills to worry about.

ALTHOUGH Morrowind did have a more veriety of armors and weapons (to me)
Plus you can enchant your own stuff for free on morrowind, just make a spell to increase ur enchant by alot.

OBIVION does have a fast travel...which makes the game 10 TIMES less boring, because if you had to go somewhere outside of slit-strider paths, you were walking everywhere...got really boring...

Oh, i almost forgot, morrowinds people dont talk to you, you just click everything, oblivions characters always talk to you, but some people dont like the talking...like i said, its the little things

So you decide which one you like better...i cant decide for you
Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:14:39 am by nakedmasoon
  • Abominationist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Then the little things of the characters of Oblivion staring at all paint dry should annoy you if you actually follow them. I am sure theres a mod for it but it is not so fun terrerizing the populace when all they do is roam and repeat random lines. I think theres also a mod fixing the psychic gaurds.
A tool is a tool regardless. I mean if you suck, you suck, and not even the most perfect tool could save you. And if your damn good then even with the worst tool ever conceived you could chug out some high quality shit.
  • Mosth Fearshomist Pirate Eversh.
  • PipPip
Being an absolute Elder Scrolls nut, having played them religiously since Daggerfall first came out, I believe I am qualified to answer this thread.

Each ES game has it's strengths and weaknesses, and if you were to ask me which one to play, I would say to play them all, as each one offers a different experience altogether.  But if one game in particular must be selected, I would choose Oblivion.

While it is true that Oblivion was simplified for the masses, it still offers the rich gameplay experience that the Elder Scrolls is known for.  And this is only made richer by mods.  Most of what is wrong with the game is fixable with mods.  In fact, mods are what keeps me playing the game TO THIS DAY, and I have owned it since I bought the collectors edition on release day.

The dumbed down interface is fixable by using interface mods like BT Mod.  These make the interface much cleaner and more PC friendly.

The combat is easily spiced up by using mods like Combat Moves, or Deadly Reflexes.  Oblivion was already an improvement over Morrowind, adding power attacks, active blocking and quick casting, but Deadly Reflexes adds decapitations, dismemberment, instant kill finish moves, new stealth kills, and even mounted combat, which was one of the most demanded features.

The dull environment has been improved dramatically by using the Natural Environments mod, which adds more weather and makes the game more atmospheric.  The Unique Landscapes Project is a HUGE mod that completely changes the face of the world so no two areas look the same.

One of the most looked-down upon "features" of oblivion was the leveled enemies and loot.  All enemies you faced were scaled in such a way that the difficulty remained constant.  You could never be thrust into a dangerous situation, completely eliminating any feeling of danger in the game.  Mods such as Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul fixes this, and then goes the extra mile adding whole new features and creatures to the game.  Now you have to actually worry that the enemies you face may actually be able to kill you.

I've barely scratched the surface of the mods available.  There are mods that changes every texture in the game to a super high-resolution one that requires a video card with 512mb of vram.  There are countless quest additions, NPC additions, new towns, dungeons, weapons, armor, even whole new landmasses.  Modders really latched on to Morrowind, giving the game a huge amount of options, but with Oblivion, the possibilities are greater, and it seems that modders really outdid Morrowind in terms of player-created content.

Oblivion by itself is good for a couple hundred hours of fun, but with mods, that number is pushed well into the thousands.  Not to mention, it seems to be better optimized and more stable than Morrowind could ever hope to be.  To this day, Oblivion still runs better on my computer than Morrowind.  Though Morrowind runs well on my wife's laptop, which is incapable of running Oblivion.
  • junker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I cannot stress this enough.

• THE FAT ONE
Sneak got a little ridiculous at the highest levels but I'm actually glad they did away with permanent death for important characters.  Once that friar guy fell off the cloud-whatever mountains and I thought he died.  If I was playing Morrowind the main quest would have been forever screwed but not in Oblivion!
  • w00t for custom sprites
  • PipPip
Personally, I haven't played Oblivion, and I doubt that my computer could run it well, but right now I'm having a fair bit of fun skulking round Morrowind with a new class (a Grand Swordsman of my own invention) and a slightly edited skill system, meaning that it doesn't take me forever to get my athletics skill up.

Yes Morrowind has many skills (27 to be exact) but it also means it's more indepth. You can't train with a shortsword or dagger and then suddenly be able to instantly be able to fight at the same level and finesse with a much heavier long blade in real life, and Morrowind shows that.

Personally, I don't see much of a problem with the combat in morrowind (Apart from my own stupidity of trying to kill a bare fisted murderer with low fatigue left. I can hit most of the time, and the weapon I'm using, the Iron Sparksword obtained early in the game hasn't run out of charges yet.

I think the best thing about morrowind is the size of the world, I've only seen 3 cities worth of it (and some landscape) but that's only a tiny bit of the huge world map. My only problem with it is the fact that the Intervention scroll I used took me to Vivec, instead of Scyda Neen, where I wanted to go -.-