PC [Deals] Beyond good and evil for 5 bucks on Steam (only this weekend) should I get it? (Read 1565 times)

• Scanner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Steam is having a deal for the weekend, Beyond good and evil for $5 USD. (50% off)

Obvious Reasons to get it:
- Cheap (and for a short period)
- recommended a lot + plus good reviews
- I like to support games like this.
- Sequel has been announced, has my interest.

reasons for me to hesitate:
- I'm a pirate and I'm technically broke (I'd be dipping into my loan money, which is ok, I've done it before)
- Only somewhat into this genre
- Don't like 'Camera' gameplay in video games, which is apparently a big thing with this game. (example: liked Dead Rising, didn't like the camera stuff)
- little replay value (no multiplayer and I almost never play through single player in games more then once)
- Never actually tried the game. (not the demo either if there is one)
- heard the game is slightly better on a console

So should I get it? How long is it (just main story, and main story + side stuff)? Is the camera gameplay the main element in the game? if so even though I didn't like it in Dead Rising so much, is it possible I'll like it in this game? I like combat and stealth gameplay, how well is that implemented, how often will I be sneaking around/kicking ass.

Also There is a 'pre-buy' deal for flatout: ultimate carnage, where for $20 I get it (when it's released on steam) and the original Flatout. I like the Burnout games, which makes me think I'd like this as well (again never tried it but it looks fun)
Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 01:27:34 am by warpped655
  • Lichens!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
ummmm its 5 dollars you  can't even get into a movie for that price
  • What, me worry?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Yeah dude why are you even debating this.
  • Baker Guy
  • Pip
Didn't it retail at that price originally, or like only $10?

Watch videos of it on youtube & see if it's something you'd enjoy. :)
▓█▓ Rpg Maker VX Resources (RMVX Tiles)
▓█▓ Random Generator (RPG names)
▓█▓ Funeral director simulator
  • :rite:
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
i heard this game is awesome and i've been meaning to play it forever

so ill probably pirate it some time
  • Scanner
ummmm its 5 dollars you  can't even get into a movie for that price
This is true. it's funny because I go to watch movies a lot to...

Yeah dude why are you even debating this.
Debating because I'm am a cheap, stingy bastard. as well as all the reasons listed in my first post. I'll also admit to being really indecisive.

Didn't it retail at that price originally, or like only $10?

Watch videos of it on youtube & see if it's something you'd enjoy. :)
yeah, its 50% off. I checked out some of the vids. It does look pretty good.

i heard this game is awesome and i've been meaning to play it forever

so ill probably pirate it some time

sarcasm at my expense?
I'll have you know that I only resort to pirating if:
A) None of my friends have it (so I can't borrow it from them)
B) My school/local library doesn't have it.
C) I'm broke (like I am now technically)

All and all, despite the lack of any friendly replies (I forgot mud's reply is friendly), I've been nudged to enough to buy it. Mainly due to the 'cheaper then a movie ticket' comment. Funnily enough I haven't really thought about it that way.

but there is still the question on buying flatout 1 & UC, should I?
Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:23:52 am by warpped655
  • The MONSTER that lives inside of your COUCH!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Borrowing it from your friends is the same thing as downloading it, really.  The "problem" is you enjoying the product without paying for it.  I'm not saying piracy is good or bad, I'm just confused about why you view it as a last resort.
  • Scanner
Borrowing it from your friends is the same thing as downloading it, really.  The "problem" is you enjoying the product without paying for it.  I'm not saying piracy is good or bad, I'm just confused about why you view it as a last resort.
because pirating is the point where it becomes technically illegal and where most people bash you for doing so. but to bash someone for borrowing a game from a friend is generally considered retarded. I know it doesn't make sense anyway, but whatever.
  • rap singing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
$5 is a complete steal for this game man, go for it.

This goes for anyone else who hasn't played it!
  • Yay! I drew a pic of me!
  • PipPipPipPip
Dude, better idea.  Check your local GameStop/EB Games.  Find it used (it's like ten dollars MAX) play through it in one or two nights (very doable) then return it for a full refund.  EASY AS PIE.

EDIT: This is assuming you have a PS2 to play it on or a Gamecube (though the Gamecube re-release can be harder to find)
  • Will you walk the realms of Chaos with me?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Dude, better idea.  Check your local GameStop/EB Games.  Find it used (it's like ten dollars MAX) play through it in one or two nights (very doable) then return it for a full refund.  EASY AS PIE.

EDIT: This is assuming you have a PS2 to play it on or a Gamecube (though the Gamecube re-release can be harder to find)

Yes I sure love not giving developers money especially when the game was already underwhelmingly sold few copies even though it was a damn amazing game.
  • Scanner
well now I bought it. but again I ask, Flatout 1 and UC for 20 bucks technically 10 bucks per game. Is that worth it? (note I like arcade racers (like burnout), but I've never played one on PC, so I dunno.)
  • 100% not arab
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
It's FIVE DOLLARS.

Jesus christ.
WHY SO SERIOUS HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA
  • Who's the boss? Not you, bitch.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
don't buy lunch tomorrow.
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
  • :O~
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
don't do it it's a trap!
youtube.com/teamhibbert
  • Scanner
It's FIVE DOLLARS.

Jesus christ.

I don't know how to reply to this... My understanding of what $5 is hasn't changed. I pretty much go into a decision making process for every purchase I make even ones that are less then $5, and on occasion still regret the purchases.

don't buy lunch tomorrow.
Fuck that. I love food to much and not being hungry. Plus I don't typically spend $5 on lunch. More like $2-3.

don't do it it's a trap!
Oddly enough, I tend to be pretty paranoid.

You guys do realize that I bought the game, right? I said so in one of my posts...
Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 02:46:42 pm by warpped655
  • MAZIIIIIN GO!! PILEDER ON!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
because pirating is the point where it becomes technically illegal and where most people bash you for doing so. but to bash someone for borrowing a game from a friend is generally considered retarded. I know it doesn't make sense anyway, but whatever.

According to media conglomerates, you're wrong.
Because you own a disc and they rent you a license to view the content recorded on it. And these licenses are personal and untransferrable. So, if you're borrowing it from a friend... It's the same as pirating it. In other words: Media companies are fucking retarded AND I think copyrights (At least in their current form) will become obsolete in a not-too-distant future.

if you're a vegan you support baby killers
  • THE FAT ONE
Yes I sure love not giving developers money especially when the game was already underwhelmingly sold few copies even though it was a damn amazing game.

Devs don't make money from used games.  Gamestop/EB already ordered from them and the developers won't receive a penny more either now or ten years from now.  Your local gamestore on the other hand is getting pinched in the balls go you.

And yeah, 5 dollars for one of the better games of the decade is a steal.  I've been in a "broke" position before and yes 5 dollars is a weeks worth of ramen noodles but ffffff if you're honestly considering buying a game when you're belt is tight you might as well buy something good.
  • Scanner
Devs don't make money from used games.  Gamestop/EB already ordered from them and the developers won't receive a penny more either now or ten years from now.  Your local gamestore on the other hand is getting pinched in the balls go you.

And yeah, 5 dollars for one of the better games of the decade is a steal.  I've been in a "broke" position before and yes 5 dollars is a weeks worth of ramen noodles but ffffff if you're honestly considering buying a game when you're belt is tight you might as well buy something good.
I could be mistaken but I think that is what he meant.

Well ok, I bought it. I'm just typically indecisive. I tend to over think stuff. Even if something seems obvious I'll stop to think about it. That is why I didn't get the game immediately.
  • :O~
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
aaaaaa you still havent mentioned if you actually like it
youtube.com/teamhibbert