Topic: Far Cry 2 (Read 891 times)

• Avatar of `~congresman Ron paul~~
  • Legio Morbidius
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member

So I got this game about a week ago and I was mildly disappointed with it as I completed the first couple of story missions. I didn't like the story; the setting didn't make much sense, and combat was frustrating and complicated by enemy AI which seemed to be terrible.

but as I've gone on with it I've really started to love this game - a lot. it's really, really, fucking good.

it's really not just hype!! far cry 2 does really offer you a tremendous amount of freedom on how to accomplish your objectives. there are no, or very few, linear segments, and most of the initial complains I had with the game I've either come to like or at the very least, understand.

Most importantly the enemy AI isn't nearly as terrible as one might think at first! One of my first issues was how poorly I thought sniping was being handled. for example, you can sneak to the ridge above an enemy camp, shoot a guy, and within 5 seconds everyone down there will be charging and shooting at you. it seemed like the AI was being cheap, that it had extrasensory abilities, and i didn't think it was fun.

then I stopped to think about it and I realized - the problem isn't with Far Cry 2. the problem was that I was firing a loud shot at dusk from a relatively short distance and I'd assumed the rock I was near was enough cover. the problem, really, was that pretty much every FPS I've played before this had handled sniping from a 'game mechanic' style where the enemies were scripted to act bewildered when you shot at them - Far Cry 2 doesn't do that. If you want to get the drop on a bunch of enemies, you really need to get the drop on a bunch of enemies. You need a good sniper rifle and a very long distance, or - just like actual soldiers! - the soldiers will very quickly catch on to where you are and attack. What seemed to me to be an unfair advantage on the part of the AI was them acting realistically - and as I watched them attack, I realized that they were actually moving up in formations, taking cover, even using cover fire to support each other's advance. it wasn't being cheap, I was acting like I was playing another FPS and I had to change the way I approached the situation differently.

you really can beat missions any way you like. run in guns-a-blazing with a shotgun and grenades, fight medium range from cover with assault rifles, take out the enemy camp from a distance with sniper rifles or rockets, sneak around with a silenced machine gun and slipping from hiding spot to hiding spot, rushing in with a flamethrower and torching everything, hell, you can even just use a flare gun to set fires which will sweep the encampment and burn everyone alive with you having to fire more than a few clean-up rounds.

an unfortunate result of the open-endedness is that the game ends up feeling unpolished in some areas, and more like a series of challenges than a functional narrative. believe me when i say that feeling will quickly fade when you beat the first 4-5 hours of cookie-cutter story missions and actually get into the thick of it, when the game becomes increasingly compelling and drives you further and further into a complex and entertaining narrative.

the setting makes much, much more sense if you read the Far Cry 2 blog, which is where they unfortunately put all of the backstory.

www.reubenblog.typepad.com

graphically it's pretty great and I'm playing on an Xbox. I imagine the game looks significantly better on PC (or worse, if you don't like the stupid post processing effects that make everything look like it's shrouded in muddy fog). no real framerate hitches and i'm pretty sure the 360 one uses almost all of the high quality settings of the PC ones except for postprocessing and lower res textures. it definitely doesn't have AA, but you shouldn't notice that unless you have a very, very sharp 1440p or higher HDTV.

basically this is a pretty great FPS and you should all get it.

That’s right, you have the young gaming with the old(er), white people gaming with black people, men and women, Asian countries gaming with the EU, North Americans gaming with South Americans. Much like world sporting events like the Wolrd Cup, or the Olympics will bring together different nations in friendly competition, (note the recent Asian Cup; Iraq vs. Saudi Arabia, no violence there) we come together. The differences being, we are not divided by our nationalities and we do it 24-7, and on a personal level.

We are a community without borders and without colours, the spirit and diversity of the gaming community is one that should be looked up to, a spirit and diversity other groups should strive toward.
  • Master of Darkness
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
This is a good game, but it's VERY similar to Assassin's Creed. People have seriously started naming the game "Far Creed" and "Assassin's Cry" because it's really like it. Now if you enjoy the freedom of doing whatever you want, this is awesome. The problem I have with the game is that there are only 3-4 different missions you can do. You can progress the storyline, get calls from the radio towers, do a mission to get more weapons, or help your buddies. Pretty much like Assassin's Creed. But I really have played a lot of this since I don't mind it too much, and the rewards are fairly decent.

A few other complaints I have about the game is that EVERY damn guardpost has people shooting at you. It's annoying as hell, especially when you just want to finish a mission. The other problem is that you travel in a car more than you actually FIGHT. They placed buses on the corners of each map for fast travel, but there aren't enough. Too much driving, not enough shooting.

But the actual gameplay is great. Guns jam (this is surprisingly very well done), and most missions give you more than one way to approach it. The main missions do this very well, since you can contact your buddies and team up with them for an alternate objective. The weapons you take with you also make a huge difference. So I really like that. And the game is pretty as hell.

If you didn't like Assassin's Creed, you probably won't like this. There isn't any variety in the missions other than the main ones. It's also unfortunate that the game kind of holds your hand for about 6 hours, your choices don't make a big difference. Later on though, you can change how the story plays out. The game is really fun for me still, so I would suggest it if you can get it at a good price and want an above average FPS game.
  • Scanner
  • Group: Member
This game is near if not on the top of my "interested in buying list" (and I say interested because I lack money)

I'll admit I never play ed the original, but I did play the console version (which is apparently on a completely different engine and changes the story to a certain degree) and enjoyed it. (I'm actually one of the few people that didn't mind the freaky mutant guys.)

but yeah, I'm also kind of waiting to get a better graphics card cuz my current one is pretty outdated.
  • Group: Guest
Uh, sorry to rain on the parade here..but the enemy AI actually does have cheating 'extrasensory abilities'. This has been proven by a LOT of people.

For example, if you hide in a building near some enemies and throw a grenade out of a window, when the explosion goes off they will know exactly which room of which building you are in and will come straight up to your location.

Try silently killing a lone guy in Pala, and then hiding in a building. The enemies will also instantly find you in this situation.

I am not sure if I posted my rants about this game on here yet, but I really don't like this. Apart from the game simultaneously trying to be 'realistic' and constantly slapping you in the face to remind you that you are indeed playing a game, the thing that really pisses me off is the faction wars. Or lack of.

Every single enemy is in the same faction. They don't fight at all outside of scripted quests, and even then you can bet your fucking ass that as soon as you fire a shot BOTH factions suddenly agree on a ceasefire and work to try and kill you instead. Ceasefire town? 'Our guys don't know you're working for us so they'll try and kill you'? That's absolute fucking bullshit. Why don't you tell us the truth and say: "We couldn't get our programming to work and consequently the factions are both identical and have absolutely no intention whatsoever of doing anything at all. In fact, there isn't even any factions. We just hint that you're fighting different factions, but in reality everyone is on the same side: not yours"
This game is near if not on the top of my "interested in buying list" (and I say interested because I lack money)

I'll admit I never play ed the original, but I did play the console version (which is apparently on a completely different engine and changes the story to a certain degree) and enjoyed it. (I'm actually one of the few people that didn't mind the freaky mutant guys.)

but yeah, I'm also kind of waiting to get a better graphics card cuz my current one is pretty outdated.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with Far Cry/Instincts predator. The plot is stand alone, but it's so fucking weak in FC2 you won't care anyway. There's no fancy shirts either.
  • Legio Morbidius
How far in the game are you? Have you gotten to the southern region yet? Because while the factions definitely aren't differentiated, in the south they are certainly at active war with each other. I saw a couple squads of guys hit an APR checkpoint and take over the area.

That’s right, you have the young gaming with the old(er), white people gaming with black people, men and women, Asian countries gaming with the EU, North Americans gaming with South Americans. Much like world sporting events like the Wolrd Cup, or the Olympics will bring together different nations in friendly competition, (note the recent Asian Cup; Iraq vs. Saudi Arabia, no violence there) we come together. The differences being, we are not divided by our nationalities and we do it 24-7, and on a personal level.

We are a community without borders and without colours, the spirit and diversity of the gaming community is one that should be looked up to, a spirit and diversity other groups should strive toward.
  • THE FAT ONE
Hehe, this game is STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl for casuals.

For everything I like about the game there's several stupid things that make me want to hate it (particularly annoying AI and dumb mission structure).  It's above average.  Barely, but above average.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Yea actually I really liked the game too for the first couple weeks I played it. I planted a truck in the road once and then hid some mines before it in a bush and blew up a convoy when the driver of one of the trucks got out (to move the car I planted I guess?) all from a half mile away. I really like that if you think, "Maybe I'll take this mission and do it completely THIS way" you probably can aside from a few barriers.

Those barriers though are a pain. You can't go anywhere, you are held to a bunch of paths and 99% of them are marked on your map so there isn't exploration and discovery really. A ton of shit looks climbable but you can't get onto it because of invisible barriers. Oh and shit like fox holes gets you caught and you have to jump them which is slow and a sure way to get killed under fire.

I haven't had any of the problems Sarevok talked about but I've had some similar instances where I kind of wonder how I was caught. Also the factions are bullshit and it's boring.

But man, I gotta say 9:30am on a sunny day in the game makes me think of 9:30 camping in the woods with my dad and I don't think graphics in any game have ever done so much to make it an experience or whatever, but there are actually really pretty things and if there weren't enemies every 100 yards it'd be fun for me to just drive around or ride down the river.
http://marklisanti.tumblr.com/post/126620624/i-can-totally-relate-harold-i-am-a-farmer-and-i
  • Scanner
Hehe, this game is STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl for casuals.

For everything I like about the game there's several stupid things that make me want to hate it (particularly annoying AI and dumb mission structure).  It's above average.  Barely, but above average.

I loved stalker so... even though it's "for casuals" I'll probably like it.
  • Legio Morbidius
It's unfortunate I have this for 360 because I have a feeling just a couple of minor mods would be able to fix most of the major annoyances with this game (respawning checkpoints, factions that fight (apparently all of the soldiers/checkpoints that appear in the game ARE either UFLL/APR but it was disabled because it was slightly confusing), enemies being too vigilant/paranoid (their scanboxes are set way too high), maybe buddies should not ALWAYS need to be rescued, etc.

I've heard the Stealth Suit makes it much, much, MUCH easier to stay hidden from enemies though so I'm gonna try that out today and see if it works. I guess it makes sense that your default outfit is visible, I just wish the game had mentioned it to you.

other touches I've run into are pretty fun, though. I was exiting a safehouse when I was ambushed by the APR. I'd been asleep for about six hours, walked out in the middle of the night, and heard a rustle in the bushes to my right. I turned and saw a guy crouching in a bush, who promptly stood up and screamed "SHIT, HE SAW ME! FIRE!" and then the forest exploded with gunfire from about eight guys.

• ?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I'm trying to figure out whether to get this for 360 or PC. I mean I generally don't PLAY PC GAMES but this seems like the sort of game I would buy for PC because I can crank all the settings to Very High, and that's... yeah, a definite plus. Not that the 360 version doesn't look nice, but hmm.

I will look into this!
  • You probally thought you werent gunna die today suprise!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Transport: Takes fucking forever, dont bother swimming or running anywhere.
Main missions: Go see this guy, the chick you are working with rings you to tell you to meet her first, go meet her then finish the mission. REPEAT

So repetitive man, you can't play this game for more than an hour at a time.
That is my problem exactly.
  • If this Disturbs you, then walk away...
  • PipPipPip
love this game, i mostly get my enjoyment out of the map editor but the single player is great too, and long! I played for 13 hours and 23 minutes so far and i am STILL not done with it!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
casuals.

fuckin casuals
  • Wind of Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Decently fun. Wish the AI wasn't so cheap and there are odd glitches from time to time. Has anyone with the PC version come up against enemys aiming in the wrong direction but are still clearly shooting you!? How do you fuck that up?
  • The Notorious M.O.G.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I dunno I like this game! It's definitely just above average, but I like what they tried to do.

I'd have to say that Sarevok is wrong about the enemies magically knowing where you are; I've done so many successful 'guerrilla warfare' runs on enemy checkpoints and even missions its ridiculous. I can snipe about three guys, move closer to a different spot, snipe another guy, sneak in a checkpoint, set the place on fire, (which kills some other dudes and makes the rest panic) and steal their truck before they even know I was there. Sneaking in, planting some charges, and watching the whole thing burn down from a cliff while they try to figure out what the hell happened is fun too.

Don't forget as your Reputation goes up the soldiers go from 'Come out and fight little motherfucker I'm gonna fucking kill you pussy come out here' to 'Please, I just wanna go home, I don't wanna end up like the others...please, please...' (and also my personal favorite; 'Come on, we're got you surrounded! We've...we've got your surrou...surround...*breaks down crying*') I don't know what else Reputation does for sure but I can definitely notice a change in how people treat me!

I dunno I'm still on Act 1 and the game definitely has its flaws (I wish the mission structure would have been more fun) but hey it's not bad.
Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:47:57 pm by Feldschlacht IV
  • Legio Morbidius
Ahahaha, I am Reputation Level 4 and the enemies are ridiculous. I overheard one guy talking into a walkie talkie begging for reinforcements.

"WE NEED MORE GUYS! HE'S, HE'S TEARING US UP OUT THERE!"
"No can do, we're pretty hot over here, can't spare anyone."
"I DON'T FUCKING CARE, WHATEVER HELL IS OVER THERE CAN'T BE ANYWHERE NEAR AS BAD AS WHAT'S OVER HERE!"

other favorites:

(if there is only one enemy left and you are hidden) "Jesus, jesus... you killed them all? all of them? Please... please, just... just let me go! *sobs* Please, it's not right, this is wrong, I won't hurt ever hurt anyone again, why are you doing this? Just, just let me go."

"Oh shit, it's that guy!"

"Fuck this! You guys are on your own!" -runs away-

"He saw me! Shit! He saw me!"

"There must be a team of them! Spread out!"

"I don't care who you are! I'm going to rip out your heart and eat it! You killed my brother, you fuck!"
Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 04:17:50 pm by `~congresman Ron paul~~

• The Notorious M.O.G.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Isn't the Reputation thing great!? I'm starting not to even give a shit if it changes nothing BUT what the enemies say. If nothing else, the psychological effect of striking fear into the enemies hearts just by being in their immediate vicinity is a pretty good high!

Also, I just got to Act 2 (and a brand new area) this morning! If you're playing this game and you're 'ehhh' definitely play at least until you get to Act 2! Shit changes, and big time. The game took a pretty interesting swing.