Question Where to find an old 2006 gamingw thread: "Crystals: Legend of the Sword"? (Read 516 times)

• What are you staring at?
  • Group: Member
...Hi guys, I apologize, I'm not sure where to post this, but I'm hoping dada or one of the admins could help me out in finding this. 
Any help in is appreciated here:

hedge(1) over on RMN, is looking for a really cool joke topic thread RPG made back in May 2006:

link: (from webarchive):https://web.archive.org/web/20060519205455/http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?board=82.0

I tried all day yesterday, scanning through saltw.net's Forum Archives 2005-2012 thread, but I can't seem to find it. I contacted RPG and unfortunately he can't remember any distinct details about this particular thread either, so I wondered if you guys may have seen it or know what happened to it?

If this thread has somehow been lost, that's fine. I just really wanted to help out hedge(1) cause he's been sort of instrumental in a lot of games and other projects I've been working on lately and I'd feel bad if I couldn't help the guy out.

But yeah, any help is appreciated here!♥

EDIT: Also, I just want to say thanks again for making the 2005-2012 thread available again. Very cool!  :)
Please keep up the good work!!
Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:18:59 pm by LordBlueRouge
I could be over critical, but I think you could re-do the story to sound less boring and more interesting for people to read. It's like, a wall of boring events that nobody cares enough to read.
It would be better to strive for the 'essence' of what you are trying to depict, and not think in a practical or literal sense. Just think about the origin of what you want to direct what you want your audience to feel.
  • Worthless Protoplasm
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
so it's a joke game? I was gonna say the name sounded awfully generic lol
http://djsaint-hubert.bandcamp.com/

Yeah man! It was totally generic lol!...But like, what was funny about this fake game RPG wrote about, was how he listed all these really impossible features the game would have - but some of these actually sounded really cool. So hedge(1) decided he'd try to make this fake game, and one of the programs hedge(1) eventually ended up making was spritesheet creator.

And with spritesheet creator, I made this really dumb game:

And also, this really dumb game:

So yeah, I really want to see this "Crystal: Legend of the Sword" thread! I remember seeing the thread back in 2006, but I didn't pay too much attention to it,
but If I knew this fake game was gonna inspire hedge(1) to make some really cool programs, I would've held onto it or backed it up.

We asked RPG the other day if he remembers anything about it, but unfortunately he doesn't.

So yeah, If you know, where I can find this thread, or if it's still around on saltw.net somewhere, let me know.
It sounded like a really cool game - even though it was fake, lol.
Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:00:35 am by LordBlueRouge
I could be over critical, but I think you could re-do the story to sound less boring and more interesting for people to read. It's like, a wall of boring events that nobody cares enough to read.
It would be better to strive for the 'essence' of what you are trying to depict, and not think in a practical or literal sense. Just think about the origin of what you want to direct what you want your audience to feel.
  • Worthless Protoplasm

is that an actual capture from a game

• VILLAIN
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
Hi there!

Rumor has it that Quackgyver (previous admin) has the backups from this era of GW somewhere on a hard drive that's in storage someplace other than his house. I've been asking him about it for years. He says he has the data, but it'll take him "years" to get to it and find it because he has to sift through a lot to find it.

Personally I'm just assuming that the data is gone. But I'll continue bugging him about this until he either sends it to me or tells me he can't find it.

I did run a quick search on the raw database of this forum and found some mentions of the topic in the messages table. Couldn't directly see in which topic they are but I'll import the database on my local dev machine and have a look.

ps. I'm really sorry about how poorly I've handled the forum these past years. I have actually been working on migrating SW to a much cooler forum software, but I'm still working on making modifications to that forum and I also still need to write a converter. So there's some work to be done still. But I am doing it.
ps. I'm really sorry about how poorly I've handled the forum these past years. I have actually been working on migrating SW to a much cooler forum software, but I'm still working on making modifications to that forum and I also still need to write a converter. So there's some work to be done still. But I am doing it.
No worries man!♥...I'm sort of in the same situation, I totally understand where you guys are coming from. Life just gets in the way sometimes. Frankly, I'm just happy gamingw.net/saltw.net still exists at all! - We're still using tutorials and other things you guys made over 10 years ago, cause this place did it better than anywhere else. So, whatever work you are able to accomplish, I am eternally grateful for dada, honestly - So yeah man, please keep up the good work!

I did run a quick search on the raw database of this forum and found some mentions of the topic in the messages table. Couldn't directly see in which topic they are but I'll import the database on my local dev machine and have a look.
Thanks man! keep me posted on this. I was only able to grab this snippet from webarchive.org that might make searching for this thread easier to find, but it begins with RPG jokingly saying:

"Note to mods: this is a very good topic please don't lock it, I read all the rules my topics always get locked."

Eitherway, thank you for keeping this place alive man, holy shit. lol - hedge1 has been looking for this for awhile, so even if it turns out you can't find it, at least we know that it's gone. etc. But whatever progress you make on this, I greatly appreciate ♥.

-----

is that an actual capture from a game
Lol! yeah man! it's an actual rpgmaker2003 game. Honestly It's just dumb tech demo I threw together in 2018. You can download it here:
https://lordbluerouge.itch.io/final-fantasy-dog you can also watch the playthrough on youtube, if you wanna see it in action - just google "final fantasy dog" and it should come up.

Cherry added picture hacks to rpgmaker2003, so I used hedge1's spritesheet creator to take the footage of the dog and turn it into a spritesheet to put in rpgmaker2003 - It's kind of a complicated process - but yeah, you can do dumb shit like this now, it's really cool! lol.
Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:05:01 pm by LordBlueRouge
  • VILLAIN
So I had a closer look. I was confused initially because when I found those mentions of the topic, the posts had the same post_id as thread_id - turns out they are not actually posts, but private messages. I won't name names, but someone totally fell for it and asked RPG how the hell he's going to get this game to Square Enix. One private message to RPG, one reply, and one reply to that—that's all that remains in the current database.

I will ask Quackgyver again if he can't just somehow arrange to dive through his stored data sometime soon and get whatever backups he has, although given his reaction so far I think we should consider the data lost permanently until proven otherwise.
  • VILLAIN
So, two things: first of all, I spoke with Quackgyver again about the database dump, but as it turns out I think maybe the data he has isn't useful to us anyway. I think what's in the database now is almost exactly the same as what he has, with the exception that he moved some topics around into a read-only forum before handing it over to me. So he most likely won't have older topics.

However, the more I search for this topic, the more I'm surprised that nothing is coming up. I'm starting to think that maybe the topic was actually deleted somehow, or maybe moved to a non-public part of the forum that somehow didn't get backed up. For instance, this list of latest topics by RPG doesn't contain the topic. But in fact, it doesn't contain any topic earlier than 2007, so it could just be because of the move to SMF that happened around 2006.

There was a secondary topic for supporters of the project which by 2008 was off-limits to guests, or maybe deleted.

Some more searching on the IA turned up at least these two signature pictures about the topic. That's maybe all that remains.

I've got topics by RPG in the database that are older than this one. (Most of these are in a protected forum that I'll make public again.) So logically this topic should not be missing, and yet it is. It really could be that RPG himself deleted them for some long forgotten reason.

Wish I could give better news, but I'm out of options... for now.
Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:50:52 pm by dada
  • Worthless Protoplasm
Yeah man! It was totally generic lol!...But like, what was funny about this fake game RPG wrote about, was how he listed all these really impossible features the game would have - but some of these actually sounded really cool. So hedge(1) decided he'd try to make this fake game, and one of the programs hedge(1) eventually ended up making was spritesheet creator.

And also, this really dumb game:

So yeah, I really want to see this "Crystal: Legend of the Sword" thread! I remember seeing the thread back in 2006, but I didn't pay too much attention to it,
but If I knew this fake game was gonna inspire hedge(1) to make some really cool programs, I would've held onto it or backed it up.

We asked RPG the other day if he remembers anything about it, but unfortunately he doesn't.

So yeah, If you know, where I can find this thread, or if it's still around on saltw.net somewhere, let me know.
It sounded like a really cool game - even though it was fake, lol.
you should put the steamed hams one on youtube and monetize it

So, two things: first of all, I spoke with Quackgyver again about the database dump, but as it turns out I think maybe the data he has isn't useful to us anyway. I think what's in the database now is almost exactly the same as what he has, with the exception that he moved some topics around into a read-only forum before handing it over to me. So he most likely won't have older topics.

However, the more I search for this topic, the more I'm surprised that nothing is coming up. I'm starting to think that maybe the topic was actually deleted somehow, or maybe moved to a non-public part of the forum that somehow didn't get backed up. For instance, this list of latest topics by RPG doesn't contain the topic. But in fact, it doesn't contain any topic earlier than 2007, so it could just be because of the move to SMF that happened around 2006.

There was a secondary topic for supporters of the project which by 2008 was off-limits to guests, or maybe deleted.

Some more searching on the IA turned up at least these two signature pictures about the topic. That's maybe all that remains.

I've got topics by RPG in the database that are older than this one. (Most of these are in a protected forum that I'll make public again.) So logically this topic should not be missing, and yet it is. It really could be that RPG himself deleted them for some long forgotten reason.

Wish I could give better news, but I'm out of options... for now.
Thanks dada♥!

Thank you for going out of your way to do this, it really means a lot

Any progress is good progress. Let me know once you make that section of the forum public again. 

Darken and I sort of started an archive initiative, about two years ago, because we started noticing a lot the old sites we use to visit, sites with important info, were disappearing. Progress has been slow, but a large chunk of our history began on gamingw. So we're constantly scanning through gamingw's old archives here and there or often we're accessing them through saltw.net . So yeah, it really means a lot that gamingw/saltw still exists today and I really want to thank you for that, cause otherwise looking for this stuff would be a lot harder.

So yeah man, thank you dada! Please keep up the good work!

you should put the steamed hams one on youtube and monetize it
Just wanted to chime in. I'll be releasing the video and the game this monday: unfortunately I can't monetize it cause of copyright issues, but It's nothing special really. But I hope to do more things with this, like taking a bond movie fight scene and putting it in rpgmaker, or that chase scene in gene hackman's french connection, before peeps get tired of this joke. I'll also try to keep an eye out for the rpgmaker old games you mentioned in the archive thread, as well.

question for dada: would it be possible to get a password reset on hedge1's account? He wants to come in and start digging through the forums too. But a lot of us don't usually remember our old passwords. Worse, the reset password doesn't seem to function correctly - like, the only way I got in was because I somehow remembered the password I used back in 2007 etc.
  • VILLAIN
question for dada: would it be possible to get a password reset on hedge1's account? He wants to come in and start digging through the forums too. But a lot of us don't usually remember our old passwords. Worse, the reset password doesn't seem to function correctly - like, the only way I got in was because I somehow remembered the password I used back in 2007 etc.

Sure, can I just send you a DM with the new password and have you pass it on to him?

edit: any chance you can link me to his user account or give his exact username? 'hedge1' doesn't give any results when I search in admin panel
Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:00:24 am by dada
  • professional disappointment
Is this the user you're talking about? http://saltworld.net/forums/user/27146-hedge1/
  • VILLAIN
By the way, the reason I still haven't made all of the archive forums visible to all users is: I haven't been able to find a way to do it easily, there's like 100 of them and it looks like I need to manually click on the correct access settings for all of them

Sure, can I just send you a DM with the new password and have you pass it on to him?

edit: any chance you can link me to his user account or give his exact username? 'hedge1' doesn't give any results when I search in admin panel
Yeah man! send me a DM and I'll send him the password privately.
Is this the user you're talking about? http://saltworld.net/forums/user/27146-hedge1/
Yeah this is him! " hedge[1] " thanks hundley!♥
By the way, the reason I still haven't made all of the archive forums visible to all users is: I haven't been able to find a way to do it easily, there's like 100 of them and it looks like I need to manually click on the correct access settings for all of them
No worries dada! take all the time you need! But yeah, I'll pass the message onto hedge[1] and the others. There's no rush here. I check this place like. every 2-3 months. I'm backed up with other forum responsibilities as well, so I understand. I'm just glad you guys are here, doing this, I passed on the two signature images you mentioned to hedge[1] and he was really happy to get them. He shared what he was able to salvage over the years with us, and it just made us more excited to find the original thread, lol! But yeah man, no worries! I'm happy with whatever you're able to get done. Even if it takes like a year or whatever. I'm just thankful this place is still around. It really means a lot guys!

EDIT: Woa, I just checked my inbox all my private messages from 2007 just came flooding back, lol! Thanks guys! ♥
Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 02:00:15 am by LordBlueRouge
quick question, did you guys send out/PM hedge(1)'s password yet? Let me know.