Nature Raiding Bins/Dumpster Diving (Read 2440 times)

• ruined former youth seeking atonement
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Let's get one thing out of the way right off the bat: I love Bins. I wish I was a bin.

I'm thinking of starting to raid bins for food. I understand you can find alot of good stuff that shops and restaraunts just throw away way before it's bad, and you can find lots of unopened stuff. Maybe some of you think this is a gross idea, but I've got a question for you. Do you like Coke and Pepsi? How about a meal from KFC house? Do you know what the secret ingredients are? Diarrhea and Boogers. Maybe now you don't think it's so gross if you love diarrhea and boogers.

So does anyone around here do it or know anyone who does or has? Did they get a bin disease? Tell me your bin cuisine stories, I want to hear all about it.

Here are some Bin related jokes I just thought of:

Possible New Nicknames:
Jamie 'Bins' Laden
'Bin'jamie Franklin

Q: Why did Jamie miss his job interview?
A: He was in a bin.

A few of Jamie's friends asked him if he wanted to go out to a restaraunt for dinner that night, but he already had plans. 
Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:07:07 pm by jamie
  • It's A Short Eternity... live with it
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Q: Why did Jamie stop making youtube vids?
A: He's bin busy.
Maybe I'll make a youtube video from inside a bin. I won't be able to do that if I haven't bin getting any advice though.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Member
what the fuck are you talking about?
It's a thing people do. I know of people who do it.
  • thx ds k?
i don't really think you should do this unless you're strapped for cash or something!
  • Dead man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Let's get one thing out of the way right off the bat: I love Bins. I wish I was a bin.

I'm thinking of starting to raid bins for food. I understand you can find alot of good stuff that shops and restaraunts just throw away way before it's bad, and you can find lots of unopened stuff. Maybe some of you think this is a gross idea, but I've got a question for you. Do you like Coke and Pepsi? How about a meal from KFC house? Do you know what the secret ingredients are? Diarrhea and Boogers. Maybe now you don't think it's so gross if you love diarrhea and boogers.

So does anyone around here do it or know anyone who does or has? Did they get a bin disease? Tell me your bin cuisine stories, I want to hear all about it.

Here are some Bin related jokes I just thought of:

Possible New Nicknames:
Jamie 'Bins' Laden
'Bin'jamie Franklin

Q: Why did Jamie miss his job interview?
A: He was in a bin.

A few of Jamie's friends asked him if he wanted to go out to a restaraunt for dinner that night, but he already had plans. 

people in the real world call it dumpster diving and I can't say it's most sanitary thing you can do.

Some one from the salvation army..... a bell ring  to be precises. Told me he knew a Millionaire  he was rich but he live his life like a poor person and he put every single penny  away in the bank he also Dumpster dived for food.

So that goes to show you some of the richest people are the nut jobs that never spend a single penny. 
Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:17:35 pm by DDay
DDay is Dead  I am a dead man typing

• The Corrector
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I don't know much about bin raiding, but I used to be the garbage guy at a Taco Bell/KFC restaurant.  What you will go through is some of the most disgusting shit you've ever seen.  There will be maggots.  Lots and lots and lots of maggots.  
  • Watch out Kitty! The room turned sideways!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
a lot of fast food places don't throw out old food just the food that fell on the floor. the old food is normally bagged up and donated to charity for tax cuts.
  • I fear and I tremble
yeah dude its in the trash for a reason and canned shit would be thrown out because its expired but the people there will try to use it anyways if it it doesn't reek or isn't much too old.
DEUCE: MEETING THE URINE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND REALIZING IT'S JUST LIKE ME AND MY PREJUDICES  THIS WHOLE TIME WERE COMPLETELY FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF PTTTTHTHTHH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE<br />DEUCE: FUCK THIS TASTES LIKE PISS<br />PANTS: WHERE IT SHOULD TASTE LIKE COTTON CANDY OR PICKLES<br />DEUCE: OR AT LEAST LIKE URINE NOT PISS
  • Damn Right I'm a peasant.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Waste not want not. My friend got a mobile from a shop bin, sweet find.

As for food, apparently Tescos in Leeds realised students were always going to do this and so they just left out thrown out food on the loading bay, or what have you. Second hand info mind, so i dunno.
  • gnilleps
  • PipPipPipPip
I've never eaten anything from a bin, but I've furnished my apt and dorm room with nice things found in bins. I also found my current alienware pc in a bin and it's pretty good. Usually schools that are updating computer systems just throw away a bunch of old pcs and monitors.  The food in bins has always sketched me out a little bit though. I heard of some places spraying their left over food with some type of poison under the claim to deter rats, but I think it's also to stop humans from getting lots of free food. Whole Foods does this, apparently.

EDIT: Yeah, it is usually called dumpster diving, i just thought bin was a british thing.
Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 05:06:48 pm by im_so_tired
  • Kid Squaresoft
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Yeah, I hear that you can find some neat stuff if you look in dumpsters outside of electronics stores or places that would have electronics.  Movie stores as well, theatres, those sorts of places.
Obituary: A detective story I wrote
  • Hardcore.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
This is really gross.
You're digging around in the trash and eating the food you find.
If you're so poor that you have to dig around in a dumpster to eat, I think it's time you reexamined your financial priorities.
Admiral Robert E Lee: From an alternate reality in which the United States is an archipelago and the Civil War is fought at sea.
  • gnilleps
  • PipPipPipPip
One time when I was in a dumpster outside a school getting computer parts I met this crazy old man who told me that pentium 2 processors use 24K gold on the processor pins so he was searching for them to smelt and sell. I have no clue if this is true, but he found some...
  • destroyer of mayos
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
i was throwing some litter out in a bin behind i guess one of the big fancy italian places around here and i saw some bread and things wrapped up in plastic but i Giannone Chicken al Mattone'd out because intestinal distress is not of interest to me

my family has a long history of going to the dump's take it or leave it section which is basically just like leaving an old couch on the sidewalk except better organized and further away from the garbage and people leave board games and weird-smelling hair curlers which they would otherwise give to relatives with little kids/throw out

so hopefully when i need to furnish an apartment or other living space i will not really have to buy any of the big things. my sisters bought a couch and recently a tv and that is all
yes, yes, very gross blah blah. I don't think any of you know what you're talking about! If any of you have really given it a go and concluded it's gross then okay but anyone saying HEH A BIN? DO YOU KNOW WHAT GOES IN BINS? TRASH. WHAT ARE YOU, A GARBAGE FACE? like I haven't considered the stigma of eating out of bins can shut their yaps.

I know it's called dumpster diving, freeganism etc. That's what I'm talking about. I'm not looking for maggots, I'm wondering about what kind of places you want to go to in order to find the good stuff. I've seen the kind of things people find, it can be pretty impressive. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or knows anything.
Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:26:22 pm by jamie
  • The Corrector
  • PipPipPipPipPip
yes, yes, very gross blah blah. I don't think any of you know what you're talking about! If any of you have really given it a go and concluded it's gross then okay but anyone saying HEH A BIN? DO YOU KNOW WHAT GOES IN BINS? TRASH. WHAT ARE YOU, A GARBAGE FACE? like I haven't considered the stigma of eating out of bins can shut their yaps.

I know it's called dumpster diving, freeganism etc. That's what I'm talking about. I'm not looking for maggots, I'm wondering about what kind of places you want to go to in order to find the good stuff. I've seen the kind of things people find, it can be pretty impressive. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or knows anything.
I wasn't trying to discourage you from dumpster diving all together, I just wanted to warn you about Taco Bell and KFC.  There are better places to dumpster dive than them.
  • Lichens!
yeah don't dumpster dive at a resturant that is just messed up but outside of like a grocery store you can often find at least some stuff that is still bagged and maybe a few days past sell date that you can use (eg: breads, stuff that isn't diary/meat, etc.) 

you're better off dumpster diving for things that aren't food and you'll get much better results, just make sure that you find places that don't guard their dumpsters all that much, or just make sure that there aren't cops int he area.
I would have thought restaraunts would dump alot of fresh things they didn't use that day.