Games Help with Molebox and RM2K3 (Read 1132 times)

• Group: Member
My game demo is done but theres a ton of custom sprites so i want to molebox my demo. But no matter what i try i can't get it to work. i keep getting error messages when i try to start the executable. could someone please tell me if rm2k3 and molebox are compatible and if they are how would one go about using the two together?
  • Group: Guest
What is Molebox and what does it do?
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
If I remember correctly from a previous topic, it's a program that packs all the files into a single EXE so that people don't have access to all the files involved.  But that's all I know, so that's all I can help with.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
darn. does anyone know of another way of locking a rm2k project? I want to at least make the game so that it cannot be opened and cheated. (i don't want the player to have the hard to resist option of opening up the editor and cheating). i want it to be played like it was meant to be played.
  • Cold-Souled Sovereign of the Night Blades
  • PipPipPipPip
Yes it is compatible with Rm2k3, as games like Monopolo and Mikkoku used Molebox to compress their games. One thing I must stress, however, is to make sure that there are ABSOLUTELY NO BUGS in your game before releasing it, and to make sure to balance it out enough to allow for an enjoyable experience. I have run across this problem a few times when game are released but have a simple error like "below hero" when it should be "same level as hero", which I have to go back into their game and fix to allow me to proceed ("The Most Stupidest Game Ever Redux" had this problem). There are also times when the game is so unbalanced (or that the maker didn't think test his game outside of lv 99), that you essentially have to start at lvl 20-30 for the first area.

Just a few things to think about before compressing your game and releasing it.
Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:32:33 pm by Corfaisus
I wouldn't use molebox to begin with. Apart from the fact, that the performance can go down the drain it seems to randomly cause errors, as seen in some german rpg-maker games which used it.
Sure you don't want others to use your custom sprites, but then you should mention it in the readme or something like that. Of course this won't stop everyone, but it can drastrically reduce the number of people stealing from you.

Choices~VC2~VC3-D3~DAvA~GM~Loop~QfW~QfW2~YT-Channel
  • So-Called Manga Artist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I remember that you have to have Molebox Pro that isn't a chinese bootleg or suffer the consequence that other players won't be able to play it.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
One thing I must stress, however, is to make sure that there are ABSOLUTELY NO BUGS in your game before releasing it, and to make sure to balance it out enough to allow for an enjoyable experience.

Yes. This. I always play games through the editor so I can: a) shift-read through slowly displaying text (or text that I've already read, say because I lost a fight or something) b) ctrl+walk over/around buggy areas.

Doesn't using Rm2k3's self-executable do what you want anyways? I thought it was specifically made to. And are you really that worried about other people using your sprites? If they're custom and you ask people not to use them, most people won't use them without permission. If they do, just call them out for it. I've seen it happen before and the community's reaction to theft is pretty strong. It's stupid to make your game even 1% less fun (by removing shift+ctrl abilities) to protect IP which people who are determined can get anyways.
The Misadventures of Crimebot
Why would you lock your executable or pack it into a single file? There is no need to project your project. If anything you'll just give the user another reason to have fun with it if you don't.
Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 02:28:59 pm by Drule
We had an entire argument about this in this forum a while back, basically I don't see the big deal if they want to lock their project because it's up to them so whatever, you know?
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
Well this is a discussion forum where we talk about and sometimes even question stuff!
  • *peck*
  • PipPipPip
yeah we had dis discussion a long time ago.

in short it's really really stupid because there'd be no reason for a player to want to hack the game if it was actually well-made.
Are you serious?  Think about what you're saying--well made games don't get hacked ever?  High profile games get hacked and altered and ripped every day.

But really I don't see what's so wrong about wanting to lock up your game!  If it's so badly made that you have to use the editor to play it, then why not instead convince the creator to fix it?  If they aren't going to, it's not worth playing to begin with.  You're going after the wrong problem saying people shouldn't molebox their game, instead you should tell people to FIX their game.
Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 01:45:10 am by Velfarre
BRRING! BRRING!
  • i am a swordsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
There is no hacking present when the game's code is fully exposed. (in this case "code", as RM2K/3 technically aren't programming languages albeit using the same principals as one and so on and so forth.)
  • Cold-Souled Sovereign of the Night Blades
  • PipPipPipPip
Ah yes, I remember that topic. I believe I started it when I wanted to look at coding just for the sake of seeing how much was put into it...

I realize now that if people want to lock up their game, that's their choice, but something deep down just seems to kill the game for me when it is locked. It's almost as if I want to see their work, not just the game. I could play games left and right, but to see the work would give a deeper appreciation for such.

The problem with this, is that people spend hours upon hours on these systems and graphics that they were so concerned over that it brought them to lock the game, and due to the fact that there are people out there that use others work and claim it as their own (curse you plagiarism), there is really no use in trying to convince them that you're an honest person.
Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:07:46 am by Corfaisus
  • god damn it man-o-war god damn it
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
You know, I don't really see how code can be plagiarized (outside of direct copy-pasting, I guess) because code is designed to be re-usable, and it's not like you can copyright code (can you?). Graphics, music, story, all that can be plagiarized but I do not see code as being plagiarizable.

edit: "What the heck...I recognize this for loop... This is MY for loop! This bastard stole my freaking for loop!'

edit2: Although I will agree that code as an entire project can be plagiarizable, but if someone opened up your project because they wanted to see how to make your rad CMS or whatever, I don't believe that's plagiarizing them.
Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:36:13 am by Rajew
don't mind me, just postin' after a few brewskies
somebody’s Barkley --- could be another’s Monopolo.
  • *peck*
  • PipPipPip
Are you serious?  Think about what you're saying--well made games don't get hacked ever?  High profile games get hacked and altered and ripped every day.

But really I don't see what's so wrong about wanting to lock up your game!  If it's so badly made that you have to use the editor to play it, then why not instead convince the creator to fix it?  If they aren't going to, it's not worth playing to begin with.  You're going after the wrong problem saying people shouldn't molebox their game, instead you should tell people to FIX their game.

i'm talking about fucking rpgmaker games. the only reason any normal intelligent person would want to hack an rpgmaker game to make it easy is because it's so fucking poorly designed. that means 99% of the rpgmaker games out there. you think i'm talking about high profile games? are any fucking rpgmaker games HIGH PROFILE FUCKING GAMES? oh wait what about that shitty one that sells for 20$ well it's shitty so there. jesus christ.

any reason why anyone would want to fucking molebox their game is because they're afraid of resources being stole or worse, CODE being stolen. fucking piece of shit. graphics? getting stolen? most of the graphics are fucking ripped.
  • *peck*
  • PipPipPip
i mean i can't believe you'd seriously compare HIGH PROFILE GAMES GETTING HACKED to some stupid 13-year-old RPGMAKKER GAM GETTING CODES STOLEN
Calm down.

And also, there is no reason to try to protect a small indie game that is stored locally on the user's computer where they'll be able to hack it should they want to. Not even professional games are that well protected unless they are MMORPGs - in which case important data would be stored remotely anyway. It's useless and only serves the purpose of looking cool and sort of differentiating from other projects made with the same engine.

Of course MaD Matt is free to do whatever he wants though, but it doesn't seem like anyone here has a solution so far.
  • ::pulls another Hideo Kojima::
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Somebody is touchy.

Anyways, yeah, I don't think I would ever molebox my game. I enjoy free testing and I've learned a lot from looking at other people's games in rpg maker.
has a girl in his bed. pot in his pipe and family guy on the tube. i like life