Dev - RM2k3 [DEVLOG] Runic Cipher (Read 1144 times)

• I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Bear with me on this: I'm not a that great with originality when it comes to plot. So I just stuck out a cliched concept that atleast makes sense. Anyway, my top talent in RPG Maker is mostly mapping. Also, this isn't a Final Fantasy fangame, just inspired by it, that is all. That doesn't mean it's going to have Chocobos, Cids, Moogles, Shiva, Ifrit, Ramuh, Bahamut, etc.

The Features:

- Fight alongside a group of rebels resisting a power-hungry emperor from causing global mayhem.
- Wonderful graphics ripped/edited from the classic Final Fantasy series.
- Up to 8 playable characters, each with their own unique personalities and storylines.
- Customize your characters' performances and abilities while in the field before the next battle by learning to use the exciting new Relic system.
- Explorable dungeons, castles, even cities, aswell as various sidequests that add up extra playing time.

The Plot:
Emperor Hilgar is an envious and power-hungry ruler who rules the country with the biggest, most developed economy in the entire world.

He had studied about the four ancient Runic Stones, in which if brought together and cast under a certain spell, may very well grant him the desired "Ultimate Power", as prophesized in the Ancient Witches' Spellbook.

Eversince then, the emperor curiously had been showing such strong desire as he started reading through the Ancient Witches' Spellbook, and he realized that he too can have this kind of power, if he wanted to rule the Earth and become a god.

But in order to be able to unlock the "Ultimate Power", he must scatter his military around the world to settle
on other peoples' lands, where protective altars for each Runic Stone are located.

The countries of Jadin (essence of Earth), Calupa (essence of Water), Sassoon (essence of Air), and Noviat (essence of Fire) are the four targets of the emperor's plan.

Calupa and Noviat have been successfully invaded and conquered by Hilgar's military, as many of the natives were forced out of their own land to settle in remote territory.

A rebellious squad named "EDGE" are sailing their ship around the world to fight off against Hilgar's military by trying to get other countries to fight with them and recover the Runic Stones that were pillaged by the ruthless invaders.

The Runic Stones are natural blessings from the Four Elemental Gods, whose spirits strengthen the four elements that make up our world: Earth, Water, Air, and Fire, from the East to the South to the West to the North of the planet.

Innocent people are wanting to know just why Emperor Hilgar is interested on collecting the four Runic Stones...

The "Relic System":

Instead of buying weapons & armor, I've changed "Equipment" to "Relics". You get to equip one ability to each six slots for each character (like in FFTactics):

1st slot is called Inflict, which is you get to equip an element or abnormal status ability for your added physical attack effect against enemies' weaknesses)
2nd slot is called Protect, which is the same as Inflict, but it's about protecting you against a bad status or absorbing an element attack)
3rd slot is called Command, which gives you a free special battle command of your choice you have in your inventory other than your initial special one.
4th slot is called Support, it's obviously whatever can boost your attack/magic/speed/defense points for battle or increasing your evasion, etc.
5th slot is called Field, pertains to nothing in the game but your walking characters on the screen, such as being able to walk over tile floor damage or watching out for traps. It takes only one field ability to be equipped to affect everyone in the team with that character on, so you get more freedom this way.

The Cast
Talon
Job: Leader of EDGE
Warrior Class: Thief
Weapon: Double Lance
Initial Battle Command: Steal - Take an enemy's item.

Bio: The leader of a rebellious team. Originally from Calupa, but after it was invaded and taken over by Hilgar, Talon contacted a nearby friend of his and decided to team up and look for other recruits on his friend's ship to be able to get Emperor Hilgar's men off of their land and all other affected nations.

He hopes to confront the tyrant himself one day to settle the score once and for all

Rick
Job: Dishwasher, EDGE member
Warrior Class: Archer
Weapon: Hunting Bow
Initial Battle Command: Poach - Turn a near-death foe into a Relic item.

Bio: A bored jobhunter who looks for new job opportunities all over the city of Regindo, a small remote island that makes fine chinaware and are famous for their food cuisine.

After a lucky meeting with Talon and Veronica at the pub he works at, Rick instantly quit his job there and joined EDGE to get paid more to travel around the world and to help fight stop Hilgar.

Veronica
Job: EDGE member
Warrior Class: Sniper
Weapon: Revolver
Initial Battle Command: Snipe - Assault your enemies.

Bio: She is a feisty gunner that likes to get to the point of things. Veronica was left on the streets of Damen when she was an infant, but was rescued and she was raised by a poor widow of the slums. Lacking much friends as a child, she started using a revolver to defend herself when she's out there in the crime-filled streets.

While Veronica does want to fight against Hilgar with EDGE, she also wants to find out her parents' whereabouts and interrogate them about it. Her only sources is a photograph of her folks and their full names.

Isabella
Job: General
Warrior Class: Knight
Weapon: Excalibur
Initial Battle Command: Swordskill - Powerful knight skills.

Bio: Isabella is the general of Sassoon Castle's Ruby Knight military. She proudly defends her land for the power and the glory of her queen. She is as bold and as brave as her heart is of gold.

As a child, she grew up from a rich family in the city who are good friends with the royals themselves. She mastered the art of swordsmanship and joined the Ruby Knights as early as at the age of 13.

Alex
Job: Adventurer
Warrior Class: Geomancer
Weapon: Battleaxe
Initial Battle Command: Geography - Use the earth as your weapon.

Zafar
Job: King
Warrior Class: Mystic Knight
Weapon: Falchion
Initial Battle Command: Magic Sword - Charge your sword into any element/status attribute to inflict on an enemy.

Kayla
Job: Unemployed
Warrior Class: Magician
Weapon: Scepter
Initial Battle Command: Magic - Cast a stock of spells used to protect allies and attacks enemies.

Barbara
Job: Unemployed
Warrior Class: Monk
Weapon: Fists
Initial Battle Command: Chakra - Unleash the hidden powers in Monks.

Screenshots

Field screen

Battle screen

Menu screen

^ I made these portraits by myself. I'm somewhat of an artist. :)

Misc.
Here's a user bar for you if you'd like to support my game:

Downloads
Version 0.32

Comments & Criticism are always welcome! :P

PS: Please DO NOT ask to be a tester;I already have enough doing my dirty work. ;)
Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 06:58:15 pm by Allen Hunter

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

Хорошая работа для для того чтобы потерять ваше время путем перенести этот никудышный блок текста в английском.
  • Group: Member
Wow, this is really impressive. I am glad to see someone still use rpg maker 2003 and manage to roll out a promising game!

i'll be playing this when the official demo releases
I'm so delicious that when there's a chocolate rain, you won't need the umbrella.
  • Always needing help....
  • Pip
I didnt know rm2k3 had a transparent Menu screen?

And I give a A+ for the facesets...nice work!
  • I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip
Only Calupa and Noviat were successfully invaded and conquered by Hilgar's military, as many of the natives are forced out of their own land to settle in remote territory.

SMARTLIPO MPX
medical transcription company

Do not spam my thread. Moderators/Administrators, please remove that post. Thanks.

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

Хорошая работа для для того чтобы потерять ваше время путем перенести этот никудышный блок текста в английском.
  • Avatar of something bizarre and impractical
  • It's The Only Thing.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
There is a report function below each post. It's on the bottom right.
  • FF6 da great!
  • Pip
Doesn't look half bad! The facesets made me lawl at first, but they have effort put into them. So I will give you credit on that. The character names... well they are too formal for my taste, but if they work for you, thats fine. The story sounds a lot like Essence's really old storyline lol, but I never released that on the internet so I'm not accusing. I love how you made a 'runic' system. It's actually not half bad. Makes me want to do something similar for my game.

Yeah okay, I'll do it. I'll support this for you ^_^. Good luck!

Best Vaporware from HBGames! Thanks to the forum!
-------------------------------------------

Winner of the Project of the Month for July is Final Fantasy Essence, a project that is being worked very well for a great team.

Congratulations Celes, Matty, Sinmora, Solid278, Lex, Mark, Ryan, and especially Atoa for the excellent work!
http://www.santuariorpgmaker.com/forum/galeria-de-projetos/final-fantasy-essence/
  • Cold-Souled Sovereign of the Night Blades
  • PipPipPipPip
Hey, the demo comes out the same day my WoW membership ends. I admire games that use FFV graphics, and something about this game seems like it'll be worth giving a shot when it comes out.
  • I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip

Doesn't look half bad! The facesets made me lawl at first, but they have effort put into them. So I will give you credit on that. The character names... well they are too formal for my taste, but if they work for you, thats fine. The story sounds a lot like Essence's really old storyline lol, but I never released that on the internet so I'm not accusing. I love how you made a 'runic' system. It's actually not half bad. Makes me want to do something similar for my game.
Nope, I didn't steal plot from any game! It was just something I was trying to come up using FF-styled plots and I guess a good cliche plot wouldn't be so bad. I'm glad you enjoy the concept of the Relics system, and by all means, put it in your game! A great alternative to that same ol' equip armor/sword/helmet stuff. Plus, it doesn't really change the characters' look. :P

Yeah okay, I'll do it. I'll support this for you ^_^. Good luck!
Thanks! I am working my ass off on this game just to release it soon. :)

Hey, the demo comes out the same day my WoW membership ends. I admire games that use FFV graphics, and something about this game seems like it'll be worth giving a shot when it comes out.
This will make it up. And thanks for the comment. :)

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

• I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip
Sorry, the release date has been pushed to September 10th. I still need to get people to test my game again before I officially release it. Plus, I have to fix many shit up.

PS: Two people's mouths are touching each other's reproductive organs.

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

Looking forward to playing it! :]
Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:56:53 pm by TTsmasher
  • I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip
Does anyone else have anything to say about my game? I appreciate any C&C as long as it gets delivered.

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

• now das fresh
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
love the name "Talon" ;)
yes coulombs are "germaine", did you learn that word at talk like a dick school?
  • I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip
love the name "Talon" ;)
Thanks, I like that name too. That's why I chose it. :)

Also, the version 0.30 DEMO is now out! Click here to download.
Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 06:19:41 am by Allen Hunter

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

• I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip
Isn't anyone interested?

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

• Cold-Souled Sovereign of the Night Blades
  • PipPipPipPip
I played the demo and I have a question and suggestion.

1. Why does it almost freeze up during battle, as in after someone attacks (such as the man with Galuf's FFV sprite) they'll walk forward and attack and then wait a second or so before walking back?

2. You should probably cut down on the wait time between some events such as when the navigator comes to tell Talon(?) that there are enemy ships following them and he becomes surprised. Events like these seem like there is a few second wait time during actions before the message appears.

EDIT: A last note... The first battle I encountered was a back attack and the enemies were doing around 56 damage to the Sniper character which at that point only has 100 HP. Needless to say, she was attacked again and died so I had to burn my Phoenix Down and a Potion to revive/heal her. I'm not sure if this was intended or if something could be changed to make death come a little slower.
Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:49:54 am by Corfaisus
  • I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip
I'd be more than glad to answer those concerns for you..

1. I will be working on fixing the lag. The thing is I worked my ass off to detail each and every monster group (for features such as Steal, Poach, etc.) that you're able to fight in my demo. I've noticed lag earlier myself, so I'm not too shocked to hear about it. Again, it'll be fixed for the next release.

2. Understandable. The reason why I used so many Wait commands was because I tried to make the scenes a bit lengthier. I'll fix those too.

3. Sorry to hear that. I attempted to make the game a bit tougher for some sort of challenge. Also, I recommend that people place Veronica (the Sniper) in the back row because of her special abilities to paralyze enemies (use Knee Shot to try and stop harmful enemies from attacking).

Talon is fine enough in the front row, because he can attack twice and is naturally stronger than both Rick and Veronica. As for Rick, he seems worthy of being in the front alongside Talon, since he has better attack/defense than Veronica. (In fact, just equip Power+5 to him anyway for better attack strength, if you have it) Just make Talon attack and Steal (if you run out of certain items).

Other than Rick being used as a general fighter, he could also be frequently used partly as a healer (items) with Veronica, so it's balanced right there. If you need more Potions, fight the Goblins around the small forest area before heading to the Fork Forest. You atleast have around 4 Phoenix Downs or so when you leave EDGE HQ at the world map, so make sure to save the game right before screwing up in case someone dies.

Honestly, when I played through the Fork Forest, I didn't have much of a problem with lacking Phoenix Downs (then again, I created this game from A to Z). However, all it takes is experience and knowledge of what you're facing, and you're set to go.

Anyways, I'd like to know what you think of the demo itself so far? I hope this post has helped you out.

PS: Headhunters drop Phoenix Downs, and you can steal Phoenix Downs from Turtles, just in case you are running out of them.
Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 03:29:50 am by Allen Hunter

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

• ::pulls another Hideo Kojima::
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
can i be a tes ter.
has a girl in his bed. pot in his pipe and family guy on the tube. i like life
  • I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip
Can you be on my sal ad dish?

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

• I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip
Nobody else tried it?

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

• It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Don't nag. It'll scare people off. People will come when they're ready.
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.