Adventure {DEMO} The Sapphire Case Files - An RM2K3 game (Read 455 times)

• Group: Member
The Sapphire Case Files DEMO
Genre: Adventure/RPG/Survival Horror
Rated: T (Blood and Gore)

A thank you to Paramore - Misery Business that I listened to over and over again during editing.

Storyline: Takes place in 2021. Scientists discovered that there is a certain chemical deep inside the gem Sapphire that contains a cure for some flesh eating diseases and brain damage, but their current technology is the minimum requirement to perform something so difficult. When the experiment fails, the reaction causes a wave of toxins to spread across the citry. Arc Coston, the main character; needs to find a way out of the city and experience the aftermath of the experiment on his way out. He's the only one still alive... He may be wrong.

Characters as of now:

Arc Coston (in the demo)
He's the main character of the game and
works for the Health Research Faculity of
the United States. After experiencing a massive
experiment failure, he needs to survive the aftermath. Survived
the toxin wave by being really close to the source.

Rena Hetherington (not in demo)
Lives with her father in an underground hideout, protecting them
from the terrors of above. Was out of town during the toxin wave.

Zen Williams (not in demo)
A high school student, survived the toxin wave by hiding in a closet in his school during the explosion.

Matthew Hetherington (not in demo)
Lives with his daughter Rena in the underground hideout. Searches for food to survive. Was out of town during the toxin wave.

Dr. Clark (in the demo)
Works at the Health Research Faculity with Arc. Survived the toxin wave by being close to it, may have died during the explosion.

Gameplay:
The gameplay hasn't really been used in the demo. The whole "avoid the enemy" system (somewhat like Chrono Cross) only comes in after the demo, the demo contains the prologue gameplay.

Screenshots:

Note: These screenshots are only from the demo version, which means there isn't really much to take a screenshot of...

Download Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tuikdz4t5nd
Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 04:32:35 pm by Spaz Bunny
  • Cold-Souled Sovereign of the Night Blades
  • PipPipPipPip

Zen Williams (not in demo)
A high school student, survived the toxin wave by hiding in a closet in his school during the explosion.

Dr. Clark (in the demo)
Works at the Health Research Faculity with Arc. Survived the toxin wave by being close to it, may have died during the explosion.

Even though I'm not a big fan of futuristic RPGs, I'll give this a shot... though could you explain these two to me?

Typically closets aren't completely sealed off, as in there's a crack under the door that any sort of airborne toxin could enter through. Also, depending on the strength of the explosion and the distance the school is from it, wouldn't a weak construct such as a school be all but completely demolished?

And about Dr. Clark, unless humans can quickly develop an immunity and natural cure for itself from these toxins, wouldn't being close to the explosion increase his chances of death (also applying to the main character)? And in the same statement, you claim he survived but he may have died?

EDIT: Well, I ran into a few problems early on. First thing's first, the font is messed up. I'm fairly certain it isn't just my computer since I've got working copies of the  RM2000 8 and RMG2000 8 fonts along with MsGothi and MsMincho. Second, you can walk on top of all tables?  I'm not sure if this was intentional, but if not you should look into this. Also, when you speak with one of the Lab Workers, it says "PLEASE BACK OFF NOW I AM ABOUT TO TEST SOMETHING'S FLAMMABILITY!!!" which is followed by an error claiming that an "Event script referenced a battle animation that does not exist."
Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:40:29 pm by Corfaisus
Even though I'm not a big fan of futuristic RPGs, I'll give this a shot... though could you explain these two to me?

Typically closets aren't completely sealed off, as in there's a crack under the door that any sort of airborne toxin could enter through. Also, depending on the strength of the explosion and the distance the school is from it, wouldn't a weak construct such as a school be all but completely demolished?

And about Dr. Clark, unless humans can quickly develop an immunity and natural cure for itself from these toxins, wouldn't being close to the explosion increase his chances of death (also applying to the main character)? And in the same statement, you claim he survived but he may have died?

EDIT: Well, I ran into a few problems early on. First thing's first, the font is messed up. I'm fairly certain it isn't just my computer since I've got working copies of the  RM2000 8 and RMG2000 8 fonts along with MsGothi and MsMincho. Second, you can walk on top of all tables?  I'm not sure if this was intentional, but if not you should look into this. Also, when you speak with one of the Lab Workers, it says "PLEASE BACK OFF NOW I AM ABOUT TO TEST SOMETHING'S FLAMMABILITY!!!" which is followed by an error claiming that an "Event script referenced a battle animation that does not exist."

Okay, answer to your questions:

The toxin wave, isn't exactly an "explosion". If you've seen the FMV sequence during the experiment, at the end there is a gold coloured ring that comes out of the sapphire, that is the toxin wave.  And not that it's an airbourne toxin, the toxin only was active when the gold ring came out of the sapphire. It was a "1 time only thing" anything that is exposed really well (hiding in closets will help) It's not as powerful as the one in the movie "The Happening" if you know what I mean, like if there is a hole in door thats as big as this smiley face:  :fogetsmile: they would die in the Happening, but not in my game. The toxin wave only effects those who are fully exposed to it. WARNING THIS MAY SPOIL MINOR PARTS OF THE GAME: People who are outside walking on streets during the toxin wave, died, due to being exposed to the toxin the most. People indoors however, are only . Since they arn't as exposed as the people outdoors. Having a crack under a door won't affect you. If the crack is big enough. It may make you very ill. Basically it goes Minimum - Illness Medium -  . Maximum - Death. Basically it's not as strong.

When Zen heard the explosion, what I meant by that was, Spoiler: .

About Dr. Clark's death, he wasn't killed by the toxins since he was close to the experiment when the wave occurred, he was most likely killed during the self destruct sequence, since he had to hold the self destruct lever down until the self destruct sequence was at 20 seconds remaining, which means it was very unlikely to escape the lab in time before it exploded. .

The font was set to Georgia, with the font changer. It's the only font that I found that worked the best. I didn't want to have to send other people the RPG Maker fonts, so I just set it to something that everyone should already have on their computer. It's still readable, right?

The battle animation error: I used a tutorial so I don't have to include the RTP, but I need to place ALL the files that I'm using in the game. It looks like I did not include the fire battle animation.

And, its 2021 lol, they have pills that make you immune to toxic chemicals, and since the toxin wave already passed, and Arc was close to it, the pill is useless and the laboratory dude gave it to him for safety.

Also, the walking on tables thing, yeah, I did that intentionally. I just thought "Wouldn't it be cool if you could walk on laboratory tables?" I dunno, it's just a retarded thing I added in, later in the game there is no table walking. xD
Hope this helps!

Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:36:23 pm by Spaz Bunny
  • *untis* *untis* ^
  • PipPip
Erm, if theres only enough demo for 3 very bland screenshots, perhaps you should delay releasing it a little longer? Just a thought.
How about no!? You are an idiotic version of a baboon.