Debate When you're making your games, do you mind if they don't work at all? (Read 1090 times)

• None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I've seen a few bizarre "games" where the creator had the nerve to include a fake "loading" screen that doesn't load anything and then they are basically unplayable. It's like they (the creators) just type in a few lines of code, draw something and hit the "compile" button and release it without even testing it first. And I'm not just talking about GW or homemade games, there are a ton of "pro" games just like that. I know that it's difficult to avoid breaking something when there are a thousand people working on the same project but some times it's like they're not even trying (like in Big Rigs, Paintball Heroes, etc).

There is also the polar opposite of that which is, for example, people making platformers, monopoly clones, and shooters in Rpg Maker. Making a game of any of those alternative genres would be easier if you were doing everything in C without directx or anything else that makes game programming any easier (I believe a lot of people know that from experience). It takes a lot of attention to detail and obsessive-compulsiveness to make anything work at all when you're using RPG Maker for anything other than a regular jrpg.

So, this is a topic where you discuss how much effort you put into making your games work or you just accuse someone of doing either of the two first paragraphs. I'll start by saying that silver4donuts is guilty of the second one with monopolo, JKB probably does that all the time as well and a lot of game maker users are guilty of the first. But don't start fights as this is for self game-making improvement only.
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
  • ::pulls another Hideo Kojima::
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
the only two games I've ever included a loading screen with was my first game I made as dosmaen on these forums, which was a shitty chrono trigger fangame, and the game I'm making right now. The reason why I included it in my first game was to give people something to see while waiting for my movie clips to load. I never used movie clips in a game again after that, and I only made one more fan game after that before I gave up on that. I need a loading screen in the game I'm working on right now so people don't think that the game froze while it's loading the dungeon.

I think there has only been one game I ever played for RPG Maker that really needed a loading screen, and that was Dragon Destiny 2's Maze Demo. That was a pretty cool demo back in the day. Wish he would have finished it.
has a girl in his bed. pot in his pipe and family guy on the tube. i like life
  • None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Some loading screen theory: If it's a static image people might think it froze anyway and there should be an animated loading bar only if something is actually being loaded while the bar fills up, but the point of mentioning that is that some people try to make the game "look" professional by adding a loading screen with a non-functional animated loading bar while neglecting every other essential aspect of the game
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
  • Super Saiyan Sam
  • PipPipPip
Well, the fake loading screen is just stupid, but I've never seen it. I think it's just an extreme example of how much people try to copy professional games, including their bad parts.

I am an obsessive-compulsive person, and I test my stuff like crazy. If I'm writing a dialogue, for instance, I usually test it every few lines (to see if timing is good, char movement is correct, if the letters don't jump out of the box, etc.). I just testestestestestest. For my Marvel Brothel project, I tested like crazy while doing, but due to deadline, didn't have the time to playtest the whole game, or ask someone to do it. It ended up with few glitches, which I corrected on 2 follow up versions, and there are still some left. So, yeah, programming a game without being obsessed with bugs and glitches is suicidal.
  • Newbie Greeter
  • PipPipPip
I am a perfectionist when it comes to level design and programming. For Polarity, I honestly spent at least 45 minutes to an hour on each level, making sure each level played the way I wanted to. And for programming, I test new programs every time there's a tiny change in the code to make sure it's progressing normally. I don't really see how people can release games with gigantic glaring bugs (seriously if you check around YoYoGames there's hundreds of completely broken games. I don't even see why people would upload that).
  • I am also known as jimmy7512
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
I have quite an obsessive habit as well. I always test through my dialogue to make sure there aren't any spelling mistakes and to make sure I used the right words, like Right or Write!

I usually have a perfectionist complex when it comes to making maps! I mean I may not realize it after I made the map but if I post it in the screenshot topic and someone says something I should add to it. I will do it immediately or if I'm missing a item in the map that should be there but isn't in my chipset then I will constantly research on google look for images and then try to sprite it myself! I also do mind if my game doesn't work on other people's machines, there was this one time I gave it to my cousin to test it out but he was missing a RTP file which I didn't even use in the game and I was constantly trying to find out how this could happen if I didn't even use the file! I never did find out and included it in anyway. I even tried the fullflag trick, adding all the needed resources and everything.

I'm actually one of those very few people who do not prefer to release demos and prefer to release the full game when it's ready and when I feel it should be released.
Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:34:22 pm by SupremeWarrior
RMN Profile
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1446/?p=2#posts

GameJolt Profile
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/action/zombie-outbreak/830/

• It's that guy that nobody likes!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Well...I remember with Monopolo, I had to play about 55 games before releasing it on April 2nd, and even with that...I would still try and test it whenever I could to make sure it worked enough to be at least playable with maybe a minor error or two. I think because this game was a multiplayer, and with numerous different scenarios involved, this was a hard game to beta test. Even today, I found two bugs and had to reupload the game on my site. I think that's about it, but anyways...I will try my best to make sure it works, this also involves using different machines too, to test the speed of the game. If it don't work, then don't bother.

And I rather like my fake loading screens. I used to use one in my past projects that were never completed. Oh, good times.

Happy 1st Anniversary - MONOPOLO!
Released April 2nd, 2009 - Right Here, On GW!

• Comrade!
  • PipPip
It takes a lot of attention to detail and obsessive-compulsiveness to make anything work at all when you're using RPG Maker for anything other than a regular jrpg.

it takes a fair bit of obsessive compulsiveness and attention to detail to make anything somewhat enjoyable in any utility or language.
Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 01:46:02 pm by ase
  • ::pulls another Hideo Kojima::
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Well...I remember with Monopolo, I had to play about 55 games before releasing it on April 2nd, and even with that...I would still try and test it whenever I could to make sure it worked enough to be at least playable with maybe a minor error or two. I think because this game was a multiplayer, and with numerous different scenarios involved, this was a hard game to beta test. Even today, I found two bugs and had to reupload the game on my site. I think that's about it, but anyways...I will try my best to make sure it works, this also involves using different machines too, to test the speed of the game. If it don't work, then don't bother.

And I rather like my fake loading screens. I used to use one in my past projects that were never completed. Oh, good times.

why do you like your fake loading screens? what do they add to your game? why put something very useless into the game when you could be improving areas that need it?
has a girl in his bed. pot in his pipe and family guy on the tube. i like life
  • brown priyde yea mayne
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
It's pretty retarded to spend hours on RM2k trying to find work-arounds and laggy scripts to make a tile-based platformer or anything else that is not an RPG.  Spend those hours learning something appropriate.  I really hate these Secret of Mana-style games in RPG Maker, too.  TILE BASED MOVEMENT DOESN'T WORK IN THAT KIND OF GAME.  IT'S REALLY FUCKING STUPID.
keep posting...
  • <Custom Title here>
  • Pip
Is this person advertising something?
Speaking of being on topic, I don't mind if someone uses RM for something other than a jRPG as long as its good. However, most of the games I've come across that do this are either "good for a game made in RM" or just plain bad. When it comes down to it, unless you can really pull off some magic with RM its probably best to simply use an engine that's better suited for the game you want to make.
Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 01:47:00 pm by ase
  • All life's a sidetrip, and there is no main plot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Speaking of being on topic, I don't mind if someone uses RM for something other than a jRPG as long as its good. However, most of the games I've come across that do this are either "good for a game made in RM" or just plain bad. When it comes down to it, unless you can really pull off some magic with RM its probably best to simply use an engine that's better suited for the game you want to make.
Pirates of the Silver Crescent comes to mind.

I've never had to bother with load screens in my games, probably because I've never made anything that was outside of RM's normal parameters.  I think it's amazing what some people can pull off in RM* when they try hard enough (see "U.S.G. A New Beginning"), but I agree that people should stop trying to break the maker and find ones better suited to their needs.
"Every day is once in a lifetime."

Visit the Pokemon Hunter official site!
Read my comic series, Hylian Odyssey!
  • Is this the face of a guy you can trust !?
  • PipPipPipPip
The loading screen thingie reminds me of TFT's contest (?) game - the ghostbuster thing.

Basically:
*after I played it; this happen in IRC I think*

@Me   : Anyone else tried this game?
@Ness: Wait, wait, there IS a game past that loading screen??
(I think it was her)

Something like that.
But yeah, TFT made that loading screen kinda long - then again, it is a joke methink.

EDIT: I am not a fan of loading screen myself. One reason why I like RM or SNES games is because they have little to no loading screen in between. That being said, a game that subject the player to watch a non skippable cutscene that is more that 5 minutes (i.e. no interaction at all) gets a minus point in my book. 30 minutes cutscene is just ridiculous imo (especially if there is no save pointS in between. Yes, there are BLACKOUTS here in my place, unfortunately).
Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:00:53 am by SW
Sprites and Stuff
I cannot compose music. I cannot write elaborate scripts. I cannot make graphics that'll make you gasp with awe. I cannot write a story so intriguing, grabbing and involving that you'll want to read it from start to finish in one dedicated sitting.

As a result, anything I produce will be simple of design. I cannot fathom how some people'd sit down and use RPGMaker 2003 to simulate other gaming genres such as shooters, platformers and the like. I can understand Visual Novels to an extent, since, well, it works pretty okay.

I tend to look around here and see a lot of things that make me think it'll never be released, because an amateur maker is really ambitious with systems and innovation they want to introduce, or how they want to proof something with RMK2k3. (Vanit and Final Fantasy 7 come to mind)

:( I don't quite understand loading screens in RPGMaker though.
Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:04:32 am by Foliage
<RPG> contra's depth is an illusion, it's not sustainable for a real story
<RPG> it's just fun, with fun gameplay
<RPG> rpg players ask "where did the robot come from"
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPipPip
It's pretty retarded to spend hours on RM2k trying to find work-arounds and laggy scripts to make a tile-based platformer or anything else that is not an RPG.  Spend those hours learning something appropriate.  I really hate these Secret of Mana-style games in RPG Maker, too.  TILE BASED MOVEMENT DOESN'T WORK IN THAT KIND OF GAME.  IT'S REALLY FUCKING STUPID.
THIS. I'd also like to add that I hate how all the ABS' in Rm2k are limited to kiting mobs around and getting a few blows in between. What professional action-adventure games involve kiting as their main mechanic? None, and it drives me nuts that its ALL people seem to be able to come up with in Rm2k.

I don't quite understand loading screens in RPGMaker though.
There is almost no need for them, unless you're doing an insane amount of calculation: ie I've used several in FF72DR that are legitimate - at the start of the menu "demo" there is some intense calculation to generate leveled character data that lags RM2k3 to shit so I put up a "loading" picture (read: game's lagging, please stand by). The sorting algorithms I've used also cause lag (bubblesort and index sort). But unless you're doing that kind of thing nothing in Rm2k3 needs to be loaded.
"the way you speak about rm2k3, like "modules, arrays, pointers" sounds like
you're some badass c++ programmer stuck in the past and only has rm2k3 to
work with"
-Gutts
  • *untis* *untis* ^
  • PipPip
Sure, Vanit; however, noone codes like you do. You're a RM coding fiend, and you know it. :p
How about no!? You are an idiotic version of a baboon.
I guess the loading screen is for to build a 'feel' and to make it looks like an official games? idk lol
but yeah, it's really pointless.
  • *untis* *untis* ^
  • PipPip
loading post ...

This is the "feel" you get out of loading screens. (annoyance if you missed it)
How about no!? You are an idiotic version of a baboon.
  • Caboose
  • PipPipPip
There is also the polar opposite of that which is, for example, people making platformers, monopoly clones, and shooters in Rpg Maker. Making a game of any of those alternative genres would be easier if you were doing everything in C without directx or anything else that makes game programming any easier (I believe a lot of people know that from experience). It takes a lot of attention to detail and obsessive-compulsiveness to make anything work at all when you're using RPG Maker for anything other than a regular jrpg.

I just spent 11 hours making a Pac-Man clone and it worked out F*inkg awesome! If you've got the drive to see your idea through and make all the necessary cutbacks for the engine you're using, I say GO FOR IT! Your idea must not will not be denied!
Yes I am F*ing PSYCHED now :fogetbackflip:

I guess the loading screen is for to build a 'feel' and to make it looks like an official games? idk lol
but yeah, it's really pointless.

Haven: Call of the King on Playstation 2 hides its loading screens behing cinematic cutscenes :)

- Mike
Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 10:20:27 pm by Mikemc

Quote from: Evangel
You can't run from your past, S4D. YOU CAN'T RUN FROM YOUR PAST!