RPG What order do you make your games in? [Help!!!] (Read 2768 times)

• Always needing help....
  • Pip
  • Group: Member
I was thinking more and I have another piece of advice iv given a few times before in my life:

*Drum roll*....

FINISH! Theres nothing thats as sad as having to do a project dump! If you suffering from a technical problem, compromise on something easier. If you think your story sucks and its not even worth releasing or finishing...think again! Im not that picky about the games iv played as long as they are complete or playable till the end. If like to see what other people have thought of and try to enjoy there work or point out somethings I thought was pretty neat or a interesting way to do it. Even if it does stink you at least took the time (years most of the time) to make it and put your heart into it. You friends and family will be love it cause they know you and it came from you. But what I don't really like is that we are all developers here, thus we must "know how games should be made right" and every once and a while find a game that was release...maybe a first game and just trash and flame the developer...or least the negative feedback that we tend to give overwhelms the developer or makes the positive feedback seem very tiny.

I think if the/a kid took time to finish a game and put everything he had into it, it should be worth taking the time to play thought unless it is real unplayable...then try to help out and try to help the developer fix it if they care about the project. Or make suggestions for #2 or Project #2. And everyone's first project is there "baby"...they learned the maker while they made it and was a first shot at a game.

So ya...whatever it is...try to finish it and dont give up! Then you'll at least have a first finished game.
  • I am also known as jimmy7512
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I agree with you Dart00, try by making a small project then release it! Once released you should be able to get feedback and with this feedback you can improve. I think that's why I haven't been able to improve properly, I've never released a game to the public and I've never been given feedback on my game so I'm just what I want to do but thats not a bad thing. I believe this is how your meant to improve your skills in 'game making'.
RMN Profile
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1446/?p=2#posts

GameJolt Profile
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/action/zombie-outbreak/830/

• my freinds call me theo but u can call me god
  • PipPipPipPip
Well I'm 22 and Iv found a few tips here useful?

Try not to stereotype age groups....

yeah you're a good guy but you need to detect sarcasm better
  • Pip
yeah you're a good guy but you need to detect sarcasm better

Ahh....sorry.  :mellow:
  • The Fallen Peasant...Akuma, the shredder...
oh wait you're right he's 12. HAHA LET'S ALL BULLY HIM AND MAKE A FOOL OUT OF HIM CAUSE HE'S A LIL KID THAT DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING AND OBVIOSULY DOESN'T HAVE THE COMMON SENSE TO DO ANYTHING

Hum, I guess you quoted the wrong message. If you used the one above mine, of the guy who actually said those things, well... let's just say this "sarcasm" would work a lot better.

I smell some kind of failure in your post, don't you?
you sig was too nice big

~Nayru Chronicles - Enslavers ~ Project 25% Complete

Link to Game Topic:
http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?topic=55451.0
  • Zeldagon
Hey, thanks, but...
*note*: before someone said I was twelve, everyone was just repeating the same thing, I didn't really get anything from that, and now you are just arguing about bullying, my OP was how to make a game from someone who has the experience, as in who has already made a game, now, I'm not saying that none of you are not pro's, so no offense, because I hardly know any of you, and the second reason was for pressure, some said "take it slow", but I am trying to create a routine of going through the processes of everything on a timed basis, then go back and rewrite as many times as neccesary so that everyone is honestly like "Wow! That is a beautiful story! Now, turn it into a game so that I'm interested in it! Until I have created a unique, cliche-less masterpeice that only losers complain about, so continue with the pressure so I go from  :laugh: to  :cry: to  :naughty:​, and then,  :woop:​, not like :sweat:​, or  :crazy:​, I will have my rough draft STORY by friday (pressure!!!)

I'm out!  :fogetcool:
-No Cover Games !!!
-You are not better than the rest of us!!!
-Preparations!!!
  • PipPipPipPip
Hum, I guess you quoted the wrong message. If you used the one above mine, of the guy who actually said those things, well... let's just say this "sarcasm" would work a lot better.

I smell some kind of failure in your post, don't you?

shut up.
  • Pip
Until I have created a unique, cliche-less masterpeice that only losers complain about, so continue with the pressure so I go from  :laugh: to  :cry: to  :naughty:​, and then,  :woop:​, not like :sweat:​, or  :crazy:​, I will have my rough draft STORY by friday (pressure!!!)

I'm out!  :fogetcool:

Haha..that's awesome! Its great you have that much passion in the project.

• It's coming along nicely...
  • PipPipPip
so I go from  Laugh to  Cry to  Naughty, and then,  Woo woop, not like , or  Crazy

See, the whole topic was worth it just for this.

Also, AkumaNoRitomi, the sarcasm was very obvious.
Sweet online game in alpha.
http://trisphere-rpg.com/index.php?refer=bucchus
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPipPip
I've lost respect for you and think this deserves a warning. Seriously, many people on these boards are younger. Did you know game development companies think, "the younger the better" because of imagination. Granted, they still look for people with the schooling, but a 12 year old could come up with an idea that could trump any you've ever had.

When is someone supposed to start learning anyway? Should he wait until he's 20 to ask for game development advice? Maybe 17.563 is the right age. Age has nothing to do with advice.

Also, this is a public discussion topic. Most of the bantering here was between those giving advice; attempting to break it down to what works best versus personal perception. I'd much rather see someone ask how to go about designing a game, than come on here asking for FF[insert irrelevant # here] charsets for another crappy FF remake that doesn't go past large empty rooms full of crappy dialog and graphics used 1 billion times over.

He's taken the proper steps in starting to learn how to make games (a step most people never bother with at all), and you crapped on him for it. Shame on you.
Uh what? How was that offensive to the OP at all? I made a generalization about age-appropriate advice for a 12 year old and told people off for posting out of context.

Anyway, now its been revealed that the OP was actually interested in the development cycle of an actual game company so he can implement an abridged version of it. There are several models that you can use; waterfall model, spiral model, prototyping, agile, and theres many others. Theres also newer stuff like SCRUM, but that won't work without a team. I'm not sure how these models look after been implemented for a gaming project or what not - there would have to be dependency issues such as needing graphics before level design etc. I have a friend with 11 years experience in the industry so I'll ask him for you and report back with some greater clarification.
"the way you speak about rm2k3, like "modules, arrays, pointers" sounds like
you're some badass c++ programmer stuck in the past and only has rm2k3 to
work with"
-Gutts
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I glossed over the last page and a half of this but as for the whole "story/gameplay" thing, think about this:

If you have great gameplay with a bad story, it's possible to ignore the bad story because you're still getting the gameplay (because you're playing a game in the first place).

If you have a great story with bad gameplay, you should have written a book.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I have to say that a good example in which graphics take a back seat to story and music is Speak No EVIL IT may not be fancy, but it's creepy and tough! And I'm sure some games could be made by a group as well...
Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 02:58:50 am by Terrus4
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Wasn't George Washington twelve years old when he was appointed commander of his first navy armada? (It might not have been right at 12, but it was somewhere right around that number)

This is a serious question, this topic made me think of something I read once, and I can't remember if it was actually him or another founding father instead.
  • PipPipPipPip
I glossed over the last page and a half of this but as for the whole "story/gameplay" thing, think about this:

If you have great gameplay with a bad story, it's possible to ignore the bad story because you're still getting the gameplay (because you're playing a game in the first place).

If you have a great story with bad gameplay, you should have written a book.

But what if you get short amount of great gameplay divided over oceans of bad dialogue and dialogue and dialogue?
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
But what if you get short amount of great gameplay divided over oceans of bad dialogue and dialogue and dialogue?

That one is easy: You should have made a game and written a book, instead of just made a game.
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPipPip
That one is easy: You should have made a game and written a book, instead of just made a game.
You may also get the next Metal Gear Solid.
"the way you speak about rm2k3, like "modules, arrays, pointers" sounds like
you're some badass c++ programmer stuck in the past and only has rm2k3 to
work with"
-Gutts
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Exactly.  Put the good gameplay into a game, but cut out the story and put it into a book.  Nobody wants to play a BOOK just to get to the middle for the only fun part of the game.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Wasn't George Washington twelve years old when he was appointed commander of his first navy armada? (It might not have been right at 12, but it was somewhere right around that number)

This is a serious question, this topic made me think of something I read once, and I can't remember if it was actually him or another founding father instead.
So  leading a dev team is lie running a naval armada?  :laugh:
Anyway, I don't think Georgie started that early- according to a Wiki article on him  -Caveat lector!-he was appointed  district adjutant general n the Virginia Militia in 1752, gaining the title General Washington at the age of 20. It seem that he had no prior experience- the article says "his only qualifications [were] his zeal and [his] being the brother of the former adjutant."
Back on topic- Reading this topic, I've been inspired to go back to one of my early ideas and make a demo- as they say, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." I'll post the proposal a bit later, as I'd like some feedback on my ideas.
Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:36:25 pm by Terrus4
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.
  • Newbie Greeter
  • PipPipPip
I've never really done a game with an actual storyline, so my development cycle differs from the standard RPG:
1) Think of interesting game mechanic
2) Wait 24 hours, come back and see if that game mechanic is a good idea (usually by then I can see all the flaws in my original idea)
3) Expand upon idea
4) Sprite all graphics needed for game (I'm terrible at spriting, but I enjoy the sense of accomplishment of making a game with my own sprites)
5) Program everything
6) Level Design
8) Testing
9) Add additional programming/sprites/levels then repeat step 8
  • Zeldagon
Somthing I thought of while writing:
I am also making a demo of the game as I go, I thought it could help me find out what is too obvious and doesn't look right. I have finished the Intro, and I am about to start on the "Rise of Action", and work on the story for atleast two hours a day, everyday until I have the complete game, that way all of the sequels fall into one big game that will one day be released as one download, and btw, if you are just now viewing this post, there will be atleast three sequels, or maybe even way more, like Final Fantasy (I have only played the ultra hardcore version, on Game Boy, which was not fun to play because it had such horrifying pixel art.)
-No Cover Games !!!
-You are not better than the rest of us!!!
-Preparations!!!