Topic: What order do you make your games in? [Help!!!] (Read 2768 times)

• Here are some of their hands
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
should've written a book, etc

i'm going to take this opportunity to point out how i feel about this (again).  there's something to be said for a game's ability to place the audience into the events unfolding, however superficial these events may be.  i don't think enough people bank on this kind of mentality when they're designing their games, at least on the story front.  story always seems to be this disposable, discardable thing that's better left to literature in favor of gameplay, and i don't really like that attitude when (like i said before) the story becomes an integral part of the entertainment experience. 

something that doesn't really have anything to do with the current subject but it's something i'll voice anyway:  writing credits only get thrown around when you're someone like seanbaby or jay pinkerton or old man murray, and that needs to change.  people need to be recognized and rewarded for writing good games; more often than not it seems like people are rewarded with writing positions on games for writing other stuff instead.
  • Group: Member
i'm going to take this opportunity to point out how i feel about this (again).  there's something to be said for a game's ability to place the audience into the events unfolding, however superficial these events may be.  i don't think enough people bank on this kind of mentality when they're designing their games, at least on the story front.  story always seems to be this disposable, discardable thing that's better left to literature in favor of gameplay, and i don't really like that attitude when (like i said before) the story becomes an integral part of the entertainment experience. 

something that doesn't really have anything to do with the current subject but it's something i'll voice anyway:  writing credits only get thrown around when you're someone like seanbaby or jay pinkerton or old man murray, and that needs to change.  people need to be recognized and rewarded for writing good games; more often than not it seems like people are rewarded with writing positions on games for writing other stuff instead.

Personally, I think it also doesn't help how the writing is portrayed around here. I mean, I've seen a thousand articles on 'good villains' and 'deep, complicate characters' but not on things like 'theme'(Unless you mean those articles where the author goes like 'these are the most common themes, they're important!!!'), symbolism and how to use it to make the plot more connected.

Instead of that, people are treated to setting, conflict and archetypes, which, to be honest, are more useful in literary analysis rather then constructing a story, resulting in pasted together plots.
- Therahedwig

Thera's deviantart page
  • Comrade!
Like I said, have some idea for design/story and work from there.
Have a plan on where to go.
If it's a fast paced shooter, or a story heavy rpg, have some idea of where to go.
Even if it's only 'ogre kidnapped girl/boy friend, must navigate monster filled maze to save them.'
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

I think you're misunderstanding me on the should have written a book thing.  I was saying that people out there end up making games that are MOSTLY A BOOK, with absolutely horrible gameplay that the player is supposed to suffer through to get the story.  When this happens, they were better off just writing the story since they completely neglected everything else.  Writing is VERY important in games, but when writing is the ONLY part you get right then it's in the wrong medium--there is no benefit to it being a game if the game is just a book that's hard to get through because of poor gameplay.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • It's Me, Picasso
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
You have a point there...
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.
  • Boy Next Door
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
My order is simple:

- Make up a random title
- Make the characters/their skills/stats/weapons
- Start the game

Complete Chaos [Full Game available!][/url] (No RTP required)
Also try out my demo: A Nightmare in Sunnydale, California
http://gamingw.net/forums/index.php?topic=81758.0
---
MMZ [Short Demo Available][/url]
VANITY[demo version][/url]
  • Zeldagon
I agree with Vellfire, even though I have never thought of it that way, props to you

Also, I have now gotten serious, and will finish this game, but I have realized how long it takes to even make just the story in the game (The demo, excluding all of the features, side missions, and NPC's) takes a ton of time and patience, so I know it will not be done by tomorrow, but I will release a demo of the demo if someone would tell me how to, but hang in there, and all of you will be in the credits under "Special Thanks", and one more thing, when I am done with the game using downloaded resource art, I will replace all of it with original art, so I need a spriter, and maybe a map creator.
-No Cover Games !!!
-You are not better than the rest of us!!!
-Preparations!!!
  • *untis* *untis* ^
  • PipPip
I glossed over the last page and a half of this but as for the whole "story/gameplay" thing, think about this:

If you have great gameplay with a bad story, it's possible to ignore the bad story because you're still getting the gameplay (because you're playing a game in the first place).

If you have a great story with bad gameplay, you should have written a book.

This is mine. My signature wants to eat this. It is mine. That is all.

EDIT: Some input too, so I'm not spamming. :welp: I'll just go ahead and say that how you go about making your game is pretty subjective and it's whatever works for you. Maybe go with your strong point so you have something to build on. Say you're amazing at mapping, do that first, etc.
Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 03:36:50 pm by Immakinganaccountk
How about no!? You are an idiotic version of a baboon.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
I think you're misunderstanding me on the should have written a book thing.  I was saying that people out there end up making games that are MOSTLY A BOOK, with absolutely horrible gameplay that the player is supposed to suffer through to get the story.  When this happens, they were better off just writing the story since they completely neglected everything else.  Writing is VERY important in games, but when writing is the ONLY part you get right then it's in the wrong medium--there is no benefit to it being a game if the game is just a book that's hard to get through because of poor gameplay.

I think I understand but I have two issues with this sentiment.  One is a question:  what do you consider good gameplay?  The example
I bring up is whether or not selection from menus constitutes gameplay.  The other is asking where you would classify interactive fiction?  Can there be some bleed-over with regards to what constitutes gameplay in an interactive simulation?   
I think I understand but I have two issues with this sentiment.  One is a question:  what do you consider good gameplay?  The example
I bring up is whether or not selection from menus constitutes gameplay.  The other is asking where you would classify interactive fiction?  Can there be some bleed-over with regards to what constitutes gameplay in an interactive simulation?   

What I consider good gameplay is way too vague of a subject, but I'll try to touch on that as I explain the rest:

Selection from menus constitutes gameplay as long as it actually makes a difference.  For example, in interactive fiction you're problem-solving, which largely affects the progression of the story as well as the experience you have in the story.  It immerses you in the world and causes you to think about the world as a whole to get to the next portion, as well as causing you to think about characters and their motives or any other things like that.  In short, it's good gameplay.  You may not have thought about things the way you are while playing had it just been a book.  In this case, the fact that it's a game makes a difference to the story.  Just because you're selecting things from menus or typing in words doesn't mean it's not a game--it's the problem-solving portion that makes it one.  After all, nobody would claim a point-and-click adventure doesn't have gameplay, but deep down they are just graphical text adventures with the text mostly hidden from you.  Think about Hotel Dusk as well, much like a good mystery novel, information is revealed to you piece by piece, but it also adds an element of exploration and sort of DETECTIVE WORK I guess that makes the game fun.  Unless the gameplay ADDS to the experience, it shouldn't be a game.

Now, take a long drawn out RPG with the absolute most generic battles that are popping up every few steps you take.  Nothing creative was added here, you're just fighting things like you would in any game and there doesn't seem to be any sort of tie-in to the story except WELL THERE ARE MONSTERS IN THIS WORLD.  There's not much exploration either, you're just going from point A to point B so you can get to the latest and greatest boss battle (and of course, the boss is just some big monster who's a bad guy because he's a monster).  Slay the dragon, move onto the next, and basically you are getting nothing out of it.  Except, as it turns out, somehow this game has an excellent backstory, and the dialogue along the way is pretty great.  Still, everything unfolds in a pretty linear fashion no matter how you play it, and nothing about the gameplay changes that.  Shouldn't this have been a book?  Why should I have to drag myself along this boring and drawn out gameplay just to get to this great piece of writing?  The gameplay isn't adding anything, it's just slapped on there to make it a game in the first place.  These stories shouldn't be games just for the sake of them being games.  If the fact that it's a game doesn't have a single thing to add to the story, then you should just give us the story.  If the graphics are a big deal in the game (again if they ADD TO IT), you can always make a graphic novel.  But if gameplay is only detracting from the rest of the work, it shouldn't be there.
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • Zeldagon
Does anyone know where I can get some good hero graphics for an ABS?

[ One ][/ One]
[ And ][/ And]
-No Cover Games !!!
-Preparations!!!
  • I'm listening.
  • PipPipPipPip
Does anyone know where I can get some good hero graphics for an ABS?

[ One with cool hair and at least a sword animation ]
[ And if so, I could also use an HP and MP HUD bar also ]
http://www.google.com

\m/NWOBHM lives on\m/

Хорошая работа для для того чтобы потерять ваше время путем перенести этот никудышный блок текста в английском.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
stuff you said that made a lot of sense

this stuff

it's pretty hilarious that these two posts are in such close proximity

but yeah, i see what you're saying.  i just am sort of accustomed to yearning for an rpg that is written better than they usually come.  that doesn't necessarily mean i don't want the gameplay to improve, but i'd like to see more out there than just the LEGEND OF HEROES and i am willing to settle for something standard in exchange for improvement in the narrative.  baby steps, here.

my opinion is that if a game has a central narrative, i actually prefer it to be linear; theoretically, it provides more focus than if there were all these branches that the developer can dedicate only so much time to.  but really, that's not the central problem plaguing most of these rpgs.  what i just said assumes most rpgs aren't terrible and overwrought to begin with, and that's not true!

good show
it's pretty hilarious that these two posts are in such close proximity

and to this i say good show as well
BRRING! BRRING!
  • Zeldagon
My CMS is almost ready, but the reason I am going so slow is because I just ordered a sound card because my old one was [metaphorically] a piece of shit, and I got a crack for the full rpg maker XP but it won't let me open it unless I have direct X sound, so I'm just waiting for the sound card to come in the mail, because RM2K3 is just not going to cut it anymore. [I know, I've been at it for sooo long...[Sarcasm]]
-No Cover Games !!!
-Preparations!!!
  • My perfect hair is designed to let air run through it, giving me an edge in any heated situation
  • Pip
Well...

Story Outline and Summary
What kind of gameplay do I want to do?
Stages what do I need? Do I need a forest? Etc.
Hero Graphics
Placeholder enemy
Skills what I Want the hero to have
a few animations and sound effects
then from there on it's chaotic =w=

Totally what happens over here, except replace 'skills' with 'guns.'
  • brown priyde yea mayne
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I'd submit to you that the best process is different for every creator.  However, for most, a good deal of planning should go into your project before you try to get balls deep into it.

Also, most games are based off of a poor concept.  Don't try to mimic the last great game you played.  Instead, think of at least one unique concept that you can work from.  Whether it's an interesting setting or gameplay-related, you'll have that thing that seperates your game from the rest.  Even if it's a rehash of FF1 with completely new gameplay strategies, it's better than yet another traditional J-RPG.
keep posting...
Hey, I have a quick question. I have an idea for a game, but I have no clue where to start. Can someone please tell me what order to make my game in and how to make a better plot.
Ex: Maps, Characters, Story, Etc...
Ex2: Intro cutscene, Journey, Training, Twist, Death of close one, Etc...

Although I want it to be a lot more detailed, like telling me how you made your game.
 :blarg:

I suggest if possible that you have a team of programmers.  I don't know how everyone else feels about that, but basically I think that the more you have to think about each thing like programming, mapping, and storyline, the less attention you can dedicate to any one aspect.  Each member of the team should be solely responsible for one thing, like mapping, or writing the story, or doing all of the programming (although, there are some things like scouring the net for resources, designing monsters and equipment, etc., that are so easy that you don't need to dedicate an entire person to them).

The way I do it (and this may not be 100% relevant to you, because your game may not contain any hard programming) is I work on all of the hard programming first (i.e. CMS, CBS, etc.), while I try to brainstorm everything else.  In your case, I would suggest starting out with some sort of short story, almost like writing a movie screenplay.  While you're writing the screenplay or w/e, get online and find all of your graphics and soundtrack resources, and just continue to periodically scour for resources until you've finished the screenplay.  Then do the tasks of mapping, cutscenes, and what not.

Try to just make a finishable game.  There are numerous things you can do later to improve it, like add hysterical jokes, increase the symbolism, add deep structure, etc..  As much as people debate things like storyline vs gameplay, the real enemy of many programmers is failure to finish the game.
Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:58:06 am by Lackeos
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I suggest if possible that you have a team of programmers.  I don't know how everyone else feels about that, but basically I think that the more you have to think about each thing like programming, mapping, and storyline, the less attention you can dedicate to any one aspect.  Each member of the team should be solely responsible for one thing, like mapping, or writing the story, or doing all of the programming (although, there are some things like scouring the net for resources, designing monsters and equipment, etc., that are so easy that you don't need to dedicate an entire person to them).

This I disagree with. When dealing with any one aspect of a game, you should devote your full attention to that aspect regardless of what else the game needs in order to be done. There is no reason another aspect should be competing for your attention when you are trying to focus on getting another specific thing done. Why split your attention worrying on two things at once when you can put your full attention on one thing first, and then put your full attention on the other thing after you have resolved the other issues.

This doesn't mean that these aspects don't relate to each other, but you have to be realistic about what you are trying to accomplish if you want to make your game a complete package. That means you have to put your full attention on each and every aspect you feel is most important for achieving that goal, which is a much more reasonable expectation to make than building a team from scratch and relying on other people to put their vested talents into seeing your goal for you. Team building is an entirely new arena of concerns and responsibilities, which can't help but split your attention to five different places throughout the entire development cycle. Managing a team would make your job of actually developing the game much more difficult than if you design your project to be built by yourself working on each separate aspect at your own pace.
  • Its all fairy-ish.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I round-robin everything. If I realize that I've been working on the database too much, I force myself to make a map or two. As long as I stay balanced I can keep working. It's when you focus completely on one aspect of your game that everything else drags and you just stop working on it.