Question What is a good control scheme for left handed people? (Read 1092 times)

• orly?
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I think there is an option in the DS where you can swap the d-pad's and the action buttons' functions.

Anyways, I agree with Vellfire. If you think about it you can use your left hand as well for many things even if you are right-handed. I can use the fork perfectly with both of my hands for example. It just takes time I guess.
  • FIFTY FIFTY FIFTY
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
About half of the platformers I play use WASD and the mouse, the other half use the arrow keys and zxcv etc. I play both just fine as a righty, I expect a lefty could too.
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Anyways, I agree with Vellfire. If you think about it you can use your left hand as well for many things even if you are right-handed. I can use the fork perfectly with both of my hands for example. It just takes time I guess.

I can't use utensils with my right hand for crap, I mean I can get the food into my mouth but I look like a child holding their first set of crayons doing it.  But, on the other hand, I can't play a left handed guitar--not that I play the guitar, but if I try I hold them right-handed.  Back when I wanted to learn the guitar I tried playing a left-handed one and it just felt all wrong to hold it that way.  A lot of left handed people can use a lot of right-handed things just because it's a lot easier than trying to find the left-handed counterpart of an object.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • Fascist
  • PipPipPip
The DS and Wii are the curse of us lefties :(
I agree with this.

The d-pad and buttons are not interchangeable on the DS because they have a very different feel to them. And on the Wii I've been playing my whole life moving things with my left hand. Now I have to move things with my right... (If I want to aim with my aiming arm)

I tend to use mouse+IJKL. What I hate most is when games have hard-coded help messages "press <button> to do <thing>" when I just reconfigured all the buttons and that no longer applies. Fortunately no good games tend to do this. I think... When no mouse is involved I really have very little preference in what to use. (In racing games I like to use the arrow buttons for example, and using the left hand for handbrake and occasionally shifting gears)
"I'm just a nationalistic Swedish-speaking Finn"
"Aivan, mutta suomalaiset juovat toki olutta."
 I never forget an Insult nor do I forget a compliment.
  • MURRY CRITSMATS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I'm right handed but I find when using emulators and such that using WASD for movement and the arrow keys for the action buttons is by far the best for comfort. In the history of game controllers, where was the directional pad/analog stick? on the left side. And actions on the right.

But yeah, not really related to your question but,,, next time you guys run Zsnes or whatever, try WASD for movement and arrow keys for actions. Q and E I usually use for L and R. I find that I can play pretty much as easily with or without a gamepad using this method.

R.I.P Steel
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I agree with this.

The d-pad and buttons are not interchangeable on the DS because they have a very different feel to them. And on the Wii I've been playing my whole life moving things with my left hand. Now I have to move things with my right... (If I want to aim with my aiming arm)

Even though I'm not nearly as accurate, I use my right hand for the wiimote.  It's not as nice, but I prefer doing that to using the stick with my right hand.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates