Movies James Cameron's Avatar! (Read 9168 times)

• gnilleps
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
About it being a video game, the story is dumb and unoriginal but still works. James Cameron is a talented director and it shows. I'll admit that the technology is the main appeal though. Can't wait for a movie using similar technology to tell an original and not-as-predictable story.
won't ever happen. the only movie that will get that much money put into it is one with a story that's already been over-done. too big of a risk to spend ~200 mil on a movie with a slightly experimental plot.

i enjoyed it but it took half way through for me to forget that i was watching an american interpretation of imperialist america. it probably went through more test audiences and focus groups as possible so it was probably made not to upset anyone. i do like that it showed corporation with military power which is scary shit. my problem is that terrible shit like this happens in real life. i'm not sure if this happening on the big 3D IMAX screen to some fabricated alien race that clearly represent many people who we, as americans, have done this to will really help the future of this problem. doesn't it kind of demean the real life parallels? make you able to suspend belief in the real problems just a little bit easier? in this sort of light, it bothered me that

the graphics were great.
  • Lichens!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
ummmm thats the american dream brother .  are you trying to fuck with america
  • PEW PEW PEW
I want to see the fake trailer from mark's post again!! where is it!!

here's what I thought in adition to what other people already posted about, like the terrible acting and unoriginal story
the biggest problem with avatar is that it's on such a pedestal. cameron and everyone really talked it up, and in that context it's just an absolutely awful movie. it's definitely not A GOOD FILM. but if you're willing to forget that (I can't blame you if you aren't, this some pretty stupid shit), it's a pretty entertaining action flick. probably one of the better ones despite some of the really dumb stuff mixed in. garbage like transformers wishes it could touch garbage like this.

my two favorite parts of the experience were the tons of people waiting in line to get tickets outside in the below freezing weather just to see some stupid looking blue aliens. that was really cool (I was one of em) and also it was really neat when at the end there was that celine dion song, and then when we walked out into the lobby the Titanic theme was playing. it meshed so perfectly I thought for a second they were playing the movie audio in the lobby

and here's a good point someone else pasted
I just skimmed it but the point I think it's making was pretty obvious watchin the movie. dumb natives still need a white male, regardless of how badly he suffers from autism, to save them
Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 11:38:51 pm by earlchip
  • Captalist pig :|
  • PipPipPipPipPip
It's kind of an advantage for the na'vi to have a trained human marine on their side when they're against human marines don't ya think?
  • PEW PEW PEW
whew! lucky for them it was written that way
  • PipPipPipPipPip
lucky they made a film about it too
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Maybe they should have got rid of the jake character completely. Just have one big battle between the humans and the aliens
  • PEW PEW PEW
yeah that would be better. like you expect the humans to make some headway but instead they just destroy Pandora's ecosystem before the na'vi kill all of them

I dunno, you don't seem to get that they uh, made it this way. the na'vi and the destruction of their planet for unobtanium was not a prexisting conflict that required the character of jake to be overcome
  • Lichens!
maybe theres so many stories about cuz we're the best
  • PipPipPipPipPip
incase you missed it, the point of the avatar project was to make peace with the na'vi and convince them to move their settlement away from the unobtanium hot spot. After that failed, the maverick general ordered the destruction of their home so they would move out. So Jake, the protagonist, born leader whatever, encourages the na'vi to fight.

That's the story. Of course it was written that way. Where would the story be without that. Where would the drama be?

I'm confused, what exactly is your point? That the na'vi are helpless and pathetic without the help of a white human? Well if you saw it like that, I guess you're a pretty cynical person
  • PEW PEW PEW
yuck read the essay if you're having that hard of a time getting it. it has nothing to do with being cynical. this is an actual, existing issue in media (particularly cinema), and it was a significant part of Avatar regardless of how much you love the movie or not

not that it matters at all how the story would work without Jake (they could have written a different story), but it's pretty much exactly like the flim plus what posted above?? the humans would still try diplomacy just for show but would attack eventually just like in the movie. and then just like in the movie the Na'vi would attack after their tree was destroyed, maybe after being persuaded by a Na'vi that lived with the humans or something? he/she could even be the main character!! no, it's not a great story no matter what you do with it and since I'm not a fanfiction writer I don't really want to waste more time working out all the kinks with yall
  • ruined former youth seeking atonement
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I don't even understand why this movie is so big but that was an interesting essay there. I hadn't thought about that before. I'm never gonna see Avatar! And I bet I'll get annoyed at a lot more fantasy and sci-fi stories now. Good. That's what I wanted.
  • Lord of Hotmogs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I read that essay before going to see Avatar and it's pretty accurate. The movie also references the war in Iraq and 9/11 but without making any real point. I'd still go for the spectacle, like I said.

James Cameron wants to make two more sequels. I don't know what to think about that, but I guess it's hard to make a story as generic as the original. Terminator 2 was much better than the first. Speaking of which, Avatar had certain parts (and music) that reminded me of Terminator and Alien. Just having Weaver with her scary Alien 4 smile in 3D was creepy at points!
Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:09:50 am by RPG
  • PipPipPipPipPip
ok, just read the article. Yeah, you have to be pretty cynical to find racism in the movie. It's pretty obvious that was not the film maker's intention.

By the end of the film you're left wondering why the film needed the Jake Sully character at all. The film could have done just as well by focusing on an actual Na'vi native who comes into contact with crazy humans who have no respect for the environment. I can just see the explanation: "Well, we need someone (an avatar) for the audience to connect with. A normal guy will work better than these tall blue people." However, this is the type of thinking that molds all leads as white male characters (blank slates for the audience to project themselves upon) unless your name is Will Smith.

but I wasn't wondering that at all and still don't think that. This guy just thinks that becuase he seems to have a chip on his shoulder about hollywood or the humanity or something. Plus his point is void by bringing up will smith as an exception. It shows that race has nothing to do with it, why would be people expect black leading actors like will smith and and denzel washington if all filmmakers say NO MUST BE WHITE. The film could have easily worked with a black person as the main character, but the actor cast was white becuase that was the actor james cameron wanted. Imagine looking at hundreds of different actors and finally finding someone who is perfect for the role, but oh wait, he's white. Who's racist now. Seriously fuck off with this shit

Also the jake character makes perfect sense from a writing, creating a more interesting story point of view. Can you really not understand why the story included this story arc? It's cliche for a reason.

Anyway, you're not gonna agree with me becuase I assume you're on the same plane as the guy who wrote the article. It's a shame you can't just enjoy Avatar for its fantasy and entertainment factor without panning it as some hateful piece of work

• *peck*
  • PipPipPip
i thought a woman made that post

http://io9.com/5422666/when-will-white-people-stop-making-movies-like-avatar?skyline=true&s=i
  • PipPipPipPipPip
thanks for the link!
  • *peck*
  • PipPipPip
jsut wanted to clarify thing;s
  • Gameboy Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
ok, just read the article. Yeah, you have to be pretty cynical to find racism in the movie. It's pretty obvious that was not the film maker's intention.

homework

1) identify what's wrong with this picture

2) read up on institutionalized racism and apply it to the film industry
Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:08:27 am by Roman
  • I fear and I tremble
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

is that real?

holy shit
DEUCE: MEETING THE URINE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND REALIZING IT'S JUST LIKE ME AND MY PREJUDICES  THIS WHOLE TIME WERE COMPLETELY FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF PTTTTHTHTHH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE<br />DEUCE: FUCK THIS TASTES LIKE PISS<br />PANTS: WHERE IT SHOULD TASTE LIKE COTTON CANDY OR PICKLES<br />DEUCE: OR AT LEAST LIKE URINE NOT PISS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
lol

I can see whats wrong with that picture, but thats nothing like whats going on in avatar. seriously?