Topic: YOU Top 5 Bands (Read 3134 times)

• ::pulls another Hideo Kojima::
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
1. Jeffrey Starr
2. Slayer
3. Def Leppard
4. Louis Armstrong
5. ICP
has a girl in his bed. pot in his pipe and family guy on the tube. i like life
  • "When you're bound by your own convictions, a discipline can be your addiction."
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Tom Waits, Danzig, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, AFI

That's just the very top five based on frequency of listening and duration of exposure. If I open it up to ten, then more of the music I drive around to a lot comes into play - Rammstein, Morrissey, Lacuna Coil, Joy Division, Son of Sam (Into the Night Era).

Right now I'm listening to some of Tree's stuff again. Every now and then I get into a phase where I have to hear Cemetary, Paper, X-Communicated, Death Wish (not the Christian Death song), Put the Wood to Her, and Hate Still Burns. If none of those song titles sounds familiar, try checking the band out - they (were) Boston Environmentalist Hardcore.

Tree - Deathwish

I saw Tree when they were touring with Clutch and Vision of Disorder. River (singer) stuck a dollar bill on his forehead during the "Put a price on your life" refrain in 'Paper', and during the break he set it on fire and threw it into the crowd (they'd cleared out to make room) and then when the song came back in everyone was stomping on it. I actually moshed with him some during Clutch's set, he almost clipped me with a roundhouse kick.

It was interesting, because for a while, at least in their scene, Tree were starting to get big. Before Staind (ugh, every song the same) started to become recognized, they used to open for Tree a lot. Then, things changed and Tree got to open for them

When my band played a show with a band from the Boston area (26 Beers), Tree came up in the conversation because I mentioned wanting to do a cover of Hate Still Burns or Death Wish. They said they thought Tree was going to be getting back together, or for a couple of shows at least... but I don't know if it ever materialized. 26 Beers are good guys too, I joined in on a mic when they did a Misfits cover, it was cool.

Apparently River is in another band now, and that is pretty decent too.

Anyway - end of Tree/Boston Hardcore tangent.
Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:36:44 am by Killer Wolf
Vagrancy - Be careful who you wake up in a twenty four hour parking lot.

His name was Not Johnny -  A young man becomes a sort of superhero after a crippling injury. He
  • if i had ur face for an ass id b ashamed to shit
  • PipPipPipPip
Miley Cyrus is so dam phYne, I AgReE! She rox out better than lead seplynn && da beetols. I dant kar3 eph shee did dat pol dans.

You dont care if she did the pole dance? WTF MAN?? We have to save her! The Disney corporation is using her to drive the minds of the people into madness by awakening our primal instincts by constantly stimulating our sexual desires...I made up my mind... I will save her from becoming a toy! And no I am not just some lunatic fan who wants to bang her!... I bang anyone ;)
  • ;Wyrm
  • PipPipPipPipPip
RUSH
Iron Maiden
AcDc
Bullet for My Valentine
Rise Against ( Pre Appeal to reason)

I'm also still in and will always be a huge fan of a local, now defunct band called Gale.

Wyrm  | Madolah | ær 
  • Fuzzball of Doom!!!11one
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
oohhh this is tough. hmm

1. Conor Oberst (includes Desparacidos, Bright Eyes, Mystic Valley Band)
2. Tally Hall

uhh after there it gets a little fuzzy in terms of order/numbering... but the other bands/people would be something liiike:

Modest Mouse
Jason Mraz (mostly the older stuff though; he's too "pop" these days)
Antic Cafe (japanese visual kei band. love them)
Akron\Family
Tom Waits
Blink 182
The Cure (love)
Taking Back Sunday (emo lololol)
Leonard Cohen
Maximum the Hormone (japanese rock/metal??)
The Mountain Goats
Nana Grizol (obscure)
Flight of the Conchords
Girls Generation (korean band that sings the song "GEE GEE GEE GEE BABY BABY BABY" (look it up))

in terms of genre, i like pretty much everything. that would mostly include indie, rock, j-rock, metal, folk, emo, punk, musical theatre, videogame and anime soundtracks, etc... i like a lot of stuff.
semper games.
  • Lichens!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
i love this topic it makes me feel smug
  • I'M ON TV, I'M ON TV!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
this is hard to do

tera melos
lightning bolt
an albatross
b.e.a.r.d.
tie between arab on radar and the locust

oh yeah i also like other stuff like

the faceless
conducting from the grave
i am abomination
arsis
within the ruins

don't forget

godspeed you! black emperor
giraffes? giraffes!
cats and cats and cats
them...roaring twenties
by the end of tonight

fuck these topics

/namedrop
  • You probally thought you werent gunna die today suprise!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Hermit Thrushes
http://www.myspace.com/hermitthrushes
I just got into this band cause they played a show at a local DIY venue and they fucking awesome.  They performed naked which was a bit weird to be honest, but the music is great.  Great experimental pop-rock.

They are more experimental folk, but they are very cool thanks! I think DS would like this.
  • MURRY CRITSMATS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
1. Opeth
2. Tool
3. Death
4. Yyrkoon
5. Hard to pick, I guess Deicide or Slayer or anything thrashy

Also I hate people with high opinions of their music and who call down other people's music because it's so much different from their own.. Like I have nothing against any genre really I even mellow out to rap music considering all of my friends listen to that stuff, and I basically have to listen to it while having a beer or something. But yeah, everyone has their tastes, no need to argue about it.
Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:16:33 am by Brad

R.I.P Steel
  • Power to the flowers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Girls Generation (korean band that sings the song "GEE GEE GEE GEE BABY BABY BABY" (look it up))

my favourite video
  • now that's what I'm talking about
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
pink floyd.
fuck it all, dd is dead
  • radiqal.
  • PipPipPip
ok real talks this time

eraserheads

tv on the radio

buffalo tom (although interchangable with dinosaur jr lol)

up dharma down

eleven

as of right now atleast
  • brown priyde yea mayne
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
This is an impossible question for me because I'm pretty weird about music.  What I listen to today, I'll probably throw to the wayside in a week or two, and possibly pick it up again the next month.  Some weeks I can only tolerate news radio, and fuck all the music.  I don't understand how people can make a Top 5 Band List.

edit:  Only bands that I can say I've listened to with any regularity are Led Zeppelin and Fugazi.  I'm really bored with Zep now, but I appreciate their talent.
Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:14:52 am by Evangel
keep posting...
  • Pip
They are more experimental folk, but they are very cool thanks! I think DS would like this.

I could see that also.
  • brown priyde yea mayne
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
eleven

haha that's really awesome.  don't care for the guitar solo, but the rest is really cool.  can't believe i've not heard of this band.

i like this song too:
Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:26:02 am by Evangel
keep posting...
  • DragonSlayer o_O
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Man we haven't had a list topic in while.
Mines pretty consistent but it does change every now and then, this explains my taste pretty well.

Wu Tang    <constant
Notorious BIG  <constant
*Shels  <pretty constant
Novembre <constant
Maudlin of the well (this one will probably change as soon as i find another replacement)

ALSO WHILE EVERYONE IS HERE IM LOOKING FOR SOME GOOD POST ROCK/ATMOSPHERIC STUFF IF ANYONE HAS ANY

here's an example of what i like

btw

5. *Shels Studio Update
September 3, 2009

“Thanks for all your patience and positive emails – we’ve been busily working on the new record and aiming to get it done in this summer – we know that if we went any slower we’d prob start moving backwards in time, but there’s just so much going into this record and we don’t want to rush it – we hope you’ll still be around when we finally wrap this up! We’re currently recording guitars and have been experimenting with lots of different sounds and setups… we should hopefully have everything wrapped up in the next month or so – everything is feeling awesome so far … we just can’t wait to share it with you. Thanks for your continued patience and support – we hope it’ll be worth the wait!” *shels
To Never Be Known Is The Worst Death
  • Ultimaweapon9
  • PipPipPip
1.  Say Anything - Max Bemis is a brilliant lyricist...probably because he's nuts.
2.  Dashboard Confessional - Screw you, I like them (him).
3.  The Offspring - Lots of highs and lows, but easily my favorite punk band ever.
4.  Rise Against - These guys are a close second.  Tim's voice is incredible.
5.  Red Hot Chili Peppers - I prefer their more melodic stuff to their old funky stuff actually; love everything Californication and after, but their early stuff is fun too.
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
aaahhahha. what a silly world. so funny. i think we all need some Gang of $ sometimes.
i'm in a jolly good mood!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
you've probably never even heard of them....
  • ブラウンの人
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
bands
Red Hot Chili Peppers
IllScarlett
Offspring
Sublime
MGMT

artists
Immortal Technique
Talib Kweli