Topic: [Rm2k] What would you consider an 'Advanced' idea? (Read 1557 times)

• Caboose
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Some weeks ago I found out about using terrain ID to examine stuff, which I hadn't seen at the time, and thought it was pretty darn neat :)​.
Now I have discovered some cool stuff which will help me in my RTS. This has taken me all week and I consider it to be quite an advanced piece of work. From your travels, what would you consider to be an advanced or extraordinary feat done in basic old Rm2k? Also, what would you like to see happen, or what might you consider an impossible task? (Other than System 7 I think it's called)

- Mike
Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 06:28:43 am by Mikemc

Quote from: Evangel
You can't run from your past, S4D. YOU CAN'T RUN FROM YOUR PAST!
  • Group: Member
How does Set Terrain's ID work exactly?  I tried to read about it in the help menu, but uh... I don't speak broken English very well.
  • Caboose
  • PipPipPip
Well in the Database under Terrain Editor you set what each terrain type will be. This is generally used to set the backdrop for battles and damage tiles when walking. Then on the Chipsets tab you mark which terrain tiles will be known for each type - grass, dirt, water etc. Now the command:

Location is where the tile resides that you wish to COLLECT the id FROM and "Get terrain ID from variable" is the variable that it will be stored into. Yes, the wording should be something like "Store into this variable" instead.

So if tile position 4,7 is Grass (default 1) then the variable will get "0001" stored into it. My 'Examine All' explaination simply adds a custom message to it.
IF variable 0001 = 1 THEN message "You see grass fool!"

- Mike
Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 10:30:33 am by Mikemc

• Stand back, dragon! Do not touch her!
It goes without saying, but obviously coding a system into RM2k/3 that is not a part of the original program would be "advanced."

More advanced than that, though, would probably be coding pixel-based movement.  It's quite possible and I've done it myself, but making it work with camera panning is a whole other story and is the reason I gave up on my platforming game.
  • Descendant of Pirates!

Banks a relatively hard to make.

I've conquered almost everything there is to know about rm2k(3) , but I still can't even make a cinematic scene.
I am sick with a bad cold.
Benylin is the grossest medicine on Earth.
I guess my criteria for something advanced would be...
a)  Something that requires more than 3,000 lines of code, and the code isn't pure repetition
b)  Something that is utilized in less than 4% of games, and requires some programming skill
c)  Using a command in a completely original way, that is also logical (i.e. if you played a random sound effect every time you took a step, I would consider that feature to be illogical).

Btw, thanks for explaining how that often overlooked command works.
  • Bombs of Fire!
  • PipPipPip
If you want check out the tech demo in my sig, pretty intense stuff.  I actually used the store terrain ID in it also to determine if tiles were one of several things: unpassable, passable, grass, water, and different diagonals.  I had originally had it the entire map as events, but started created too much lag, so I found this nice workaround and it works perfectly.

Also, Mineyl, I had gotten camera panning to work with a character running around and nother npc that blocked your path, but it is really not worth the huge amount of work.  Plus, because you have to have the background as a picture, it creates a huge amount of unavoidable lag, especially if the map is big.

Another huge problem with rm2k/3 is how pictures can be moved.  Moving a picture requires knowing what number it is while in the programming step, instead of being able to move the picture based on the number in the variable.  I remedied this in the tech demo by create an objected oriented system that used pictures as objects were created.  So, for example, if a bush was hit, it would call the event, check to see the first available picture (lets say Picture 2), and then assign picture 2 to the bush animation.  Lets say a rupee drops from the bush, the event would be called, and picture 3 would be assigned as a rupee.  Lets now say that I shoot an arrow after I hit the bush, but before the rupee vanishes, the event would be called, and picture 2 is now free again to be used, so picture 2 is assigned to be an arrow.
The system is very useful to keep track of picture usage, and to create animations/objects of anything at any time.

Alexross7, I am wondering why banks are hard to make... considering you say that you have conquered almost everything in rm2k/3?'

Finally, Lackeos, I am wondering why you picked the seemingly random 3,000 lines of code.
  • I gots a lego!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
monopolo

Carius seemed to be pretty swish at rm2k3, check out his games. the trouble was his games were very slow on any computer except his :welp:
www.jmickle.com
  • "When you're bound by your own convictions, a discipline can be your addiction."
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I had a system in my (currently stalled) point and click detective game that enabled the player to take a photo of any scene that was shown in first person perspective (as opposed the the third person scenes that plastered my Gillian Seed look-a-like detective right in the middle of the frame). I used pictures for backgrounds, so it was really simple. A common event was called when the camera option was in use. The event checked the variable id of the picture, the current frame (if it was an animated scene) and the offset between the picture's center and the position of the camera's center.

An old video that depicts what I'm talking about

Edit - Apparently, the audio has been disabled for some time. Imagine Peter Murphy's "Crystal Wrists" as you watch the video. (I was listening to Deep a lot while working on the project - I was even considering using 'The line between the Devil's Teeth (and that which cannot be repeat)' as background music for one of the chase scenes.)
Vagrancy - Be careful who you wake up in a twenty four hour parking lot.

His name was Not Johnny -  A young man becomes a sort of superhero after a crippling injury. He
  • Stand back, dragon! Do not touch her!
Also, Mineyl, I had gotten camera panning to work with a character running around and nother npc that blocked your path, but it is really not worth the huge amount of work.  Plus, because you have to have the background as a picture, it creates a huge amount of unavoidable lag, especially if the map is big.

Bolded part is more what I was referencing.  It's not that panning can't be coded; it's just that having to create pictures of every single area of your game would create lag and exponentialize the file size of your project.  I'm glad to see you got it to work, though, because I didn't get very far before I realized that I would have no choice but to use pictures and decided to scrap my creation.   :sad:
Finally, Lackeos, I am wondering why you picked the seemingly random 3,000 lines of code.

Well duh.  What year will it be 991 years from now?  I rest my case.
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Well duh.  What year will it be 991 years from now?  I rest my case.

So you picked an arbitrary integer and used it as a baseline criteria for impressive rm2k coding based solely on the fact that it equaled the sum of two other arbitrary integers?

I have much to learn from you, rm2k coding guru.
So you picked an arbitrary integer and used it as a baseline criteria for impressive rm2k coding based solely on the fact that it equaled the sum of two other arbitrary integers?

I have much to learn from you, rm2k coding guru.

Well as far as picking arbitrary numbers, if you're gonna do it, you might as well do it in style, right?
  • Caboose
  • PipPipPip
Huh? Like adding interest rates and contests for spending with them? :)

Huh? Like adding interest rates and contests for spending with them? :)

It makes me wonder how many features his RPG banks have.  Interest, overdraft fees, money market, checking and savings, ATM, debit...
  • SPECIAL EFFECTS
  • PipPipPipPip
Banks are relatively easy to make.

This would be one of the more advanced things I've created: http://rpgmaker.net/games/916/
but it's still fairly simple.

Stuff I've seen Carius do is fairly advanced, and that one city building sim for that contest was pretty advanced, I think.
  • Descendant of Pirates!
It makes me wonder how many features his RPG banks have.  Interest, overdraft fees, money market, checking and savings, ATM, debit...
Loads of things.

If I went to an inn and bought it , I could affect the economy by changing inn prices.
Or if I destroyed a farm by catching everything on fire or poisoning the farmer , people would starve to death , and so I would add or subtract a variable from the population of X town.

It's really amazing what I could do with banking and such.

In my opinion , banks are the most simple , yet can be the most complex , considering that everything revolves around money and the needs of the people.
Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:21:56 am by alexross7
I am sick with a bad cold.
Benylin is the grossest medicine on Earth.
  • Artistian - The Amidian Corp.
  • Pip
Loads of things.

If I went to an inn and bought it , I could affect the economy by changing inn prices.
Or if I destroyed a farm by catching everything on fire or poisoning the farmer , people would starve to death , and so I would add or subtract a variable from the population of X town.

It's really amazing what I could do with banking and such.

In my opinion , banks are the most simple , yet can be the most complex , considering that everything revolves around money and the needs of the people.

It is my understanding that a system like the one you describe is, while probably innovative
and pretty interesting, something that would devour a lot of development and programming
time. If your game doesn't mainly revolve around this system there's a good probability storytelling,
character development and additional gameplay will lose precious development time and thus its
place in the game.

I believe that an 'advanced idea' can be a quite simple implementation if it offers the player a new
or different experience. Something that can keep people interested.
I, for one, am very interested in games (even linear games) in which quests or storylines can
be played differently, resulting in different outcomes, different treasure or items, different skills
or even different quests.

Let it be said that what I suggest is not an easy implementation, merely an advanced idea that has
more to do with storyline than systems.
The only thing dumber than an argument on the Internet is the same argument in real life.

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!
Get your own at PokePlushies!

Join me in SSBB!
Friendcode: 2149-0333-0036, Name: DEZ
  • Comrade!
  • PipPip
If you want check out the tech demo in my sig, pretty intense stuff.  I actually used the store terrain ID in it also to determine if tiles were one of several things: unpassable, passable, grass, water, and different diagonals.  I had originally had it the entire map as events, but started created too much lag, so I found this nice workaround and it works perfectly.

Another huge problem with rm2k/3 is how pictures can be moved.  Moving a picture requires knowing what number it is while in the programming step, instead of being able to move the picture based on the number in the variable.  I remedied this in the tech demo by create an objected oriented system that used pictures as objects were created.  So, for example, if a bush was hit, it would call the event, check to see the first available picture (lets say Picture 2), and then assign picture 2 to the bush animation.  Lets say a rupee drops from the bush, the event would be called, and picture 3 would be assigned as a rupee.  Lets now say that I shoot an arrow after I hit the bush, but before the rupee vanishes, the event would be called, and picture 2 is now free again to be used, so picture 2 is assigned to be an arrow.
The system is very useful to keep track of picture usage, and to create animations/objects of anything at any time.

Alexross7, I am wondering why banks are hard to make... considering you say that you have conquered almost everything in rm2k/3?'

You can reference pictures by variable using Cherry's patches. Find it, download it, use it. Saves so many headaches.
  • Caboose
  • PipPipPip
But then where's the fun in breaking the engine?? OH OLD TOPIC! No seriously these are good ideas here. I am always interested when people try to really push the limits of a game engine, without adding a patch or creating a mod. You know, something cool that anyone can see without extra files... well excluding chipsets, pictures and sound of course.

- Mike