Dev - Gamemaker [DEMO]Plat. Update - November 6th: New Version (Read 774 times)

• Newbie Greeter
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Plat. is an in-progress platformer project of mine. It all started when I was playing Prince of Persia on the xbox. I really liked the idea of doing the levels in any order I pleased, but I hated how the game was just as difficult in the beginning as it was in the end. So, I set out to make a game that let the user play the levels in whatever order he/she desired, but the levels he/she complete later are more difficult. Thus, I started working on Plat.!

Premise
You are a block. You can move and jump. Get to the finish (white bordered blocks with an "F" in the middle).

The Colors
After so many levels, a new color is unlocked and will appear in all levels from there on out. Each color has a unique property that will activate when you touch it. Except white.

Controls
<Left Arrow/A>: Move Left
<Right Arrow/D>: Move Right
<Up Arrow/Spacebar/Z/X/Shift/Control>: Jump
<Escape>: Quit a level/return to main menu
<Enter>: Pause the game

Screenshots

Changes
November 6th
-Graphics re-done (kind of)
-More Levels
-Altered Controls (kind of)
-Added Checkpoints
-Reduced the difficulty of some levels / balanced difficulty with multiple checkpoints
-There's now horizontal screen wrap (if you jump off the right side of the screen, you will go to the left, and vice-versa)
-Pause feature added, just hit <Enter>
-Has sound!

Download Link
Download Here (version 3)

Feedback Please
I would really appreciate feedback for this game, especially about the difficulty. I wanted to make the game very challenging, but at the same time not too annoying that it's not even worth playing.

Special Thanks
Pasty - thanks for the save tutorial
N.A.L - Plat.'s graphical style was heavily influenced (read: stolen) from N.A.L's inoquous.
Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 05:04:40 am by bick
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
I dunno right now this seems pretty annoyingly hard to me. Maybe I'm just BAD AT VIDJAGAME but after unlocking pink I pretty much can't beat any level.

Also pink just seems like red except with green on the tops and bottoms, so it seems kind of unnecessary.
Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:35:55 am by Standard Toaster
  • Newbie Greeter
  • PipPipPip
I dunno right now this seems pretty annoyingly hard to me. Maybe I'm just BAD AT VIDJAGAME but after unlocking pink I pretty much can't beat any level.

Also pink just seems like red except with green on the tops and bottoms, so it seems kind of unnecessary.

That's exactly what the pink blocks do. As far as their placement, I'm thinking of moving the pink blocks closer together on sections where you have to time your jump perfectly because as of right now you literally have a 1 pixel margin of error.
  • I gots a lego!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
right now you literally have a 1 pixel margin of error.
not good.

just saying this game looks really good i'm DLing now.

seems like a pretty strong concept also.
www.jmickle.com
  • clockamite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I think my version has some sort of glitch:

This makes it harder to accurately judge the difficulty since I'm constantly bumping into invisible walls but I thought it was pretty good: challenging without being frustratingly hard. I've only just gotten the pink blocks though so maybe it gets tougher after that. It still seems too hard for this game idea though, since while I mostly enjoyed them the levels were still difficult enough that I didn't really feel like replaying them after I passed and it seems like the main idea of the different levels becoming more complex as you go on would be better suited to a replay-heavy multiple paths type platformer with a slower learning curve than this sort of precise challenging one, especially if you're adding more levels. I'm enjoying it though!
http://harmonyzone.org
  • Newbie Greeter
  • PipPipPip
Yeah I've never seen that before thecatamites. I think I know how to fix it though.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Just confirming that I got the same issue that thecatamites did. I'll redownload it and try when you get a fixed version up. But so far it seems pretty unforgiving from some of the jumps you have to do when the red comes on, but then again I'm a sucky gamer. I'm wondering if you'll do something like checkpoints for some stages?
http://dev.oceansdream.net
  • Newbie Greeter
  • PipPipPip
Just confirming that I got the same issue that thecatamites did. I'll redownload it and try when you get a fixed version up. But so far it seems pretty unforgiving from some of the jumps you have to do when the red comes on, but then again I'm a sucky gamer. I'm wondering if you'll do something like checkpoints for some stages?

Never though of checkpoints, although it'd probably be a good idea for some of the longer levels. I've uploaded a new version. For all the pink block vertical sections where you have to jump up, move out, then move back in, the pink blocks have been moved closer together to make it easier. Also, I've attempted a fix for those who can only see the top left edges for the blocks. Press <Spacebar> at the main menu. A dialog message should appear saying "switching to increased draw mode" or something weird like that. You can press <Spacebar> again to toggle it back. Saved games from the previous versions shouldn't work (I added a new variable to be saved), but it works fine so you can use old saves.
  • Newbie Greeter
  • PipPipPip
Update: Just compiled a new version.

Changes
-Graphics re-done (kind of)
-More Levels
-Altered Controls (kind of)
-Added Checkpoints
-Reduced the difficulty of some levels / balanced difficulty with multiple checkpoints
-There's now horizontal screen wrap (if you jump off the right side of the screen, you will go to the left, and vice-versa)