Scary Why do people keep using rtp , rips , or someone else's material? (Read 4481 times)

• Ryoko's future hubby
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Because we aren't profesionals. We don't own game companies. We are not employeed by game companies.

We don't do this for a living, it is a HOBBY. And if you take it so seriously that you are actually turned off by non-professionalism than you need to find something else to do cuz you have the wrong attitude for it.
Peace and Love
  • I am also known as jimmy7512
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Because we aren't profesionals. We don't own game companies. We are not employeed by game companies.

We don't do this for a living, it is a HOBBY. And if you take it so seriously that you are actually turned off by non-professionalism than you need to find something else to do cuz you have the wrong attitude for it.
Quoted for the truth! We aren't professional, when making a game there needs to be graphics, sound/music! as well as coding which can be learnt. Most of the time if your a good programmer and you can draw decent enough you won't have trouble, since you can always find and use sound effects and music noone has used before.
RMN Profile
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1446/?p=2#posts

GameJolt Profile
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/action/zombie-outbreak/830/

• Comrade!
The reason people don't make there own graphics is that drawing new sprites and tilesets is extremely time consuming.  Most of us go to school and/or work, and just don't have time to practice drawing.  If you want to be a professional, then you need to learn how to draw.    But most of us just want to make games, and drawing your own resources will add several months of development time at least.  Because of that, I just use resources from Charas Project. 
http://kuopdevelopment.blogspot.com/
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Script Review: Figure out the components required for the type of story that you are trying to tell. Get a feel for the characters, their personalities, and by extension - hopefully, their appearances. Get a rough sketch in your mind of the areas that the story takes place.

Cast Selection: Use charas to start putting sprites together who look like they can fill the roles in your script. Alternatively, create your own from scratch, or grab some rips/rtp.

Location Scouting: Find tile/chipsets that will serve well for the locations planned out in the script.

Set Design: When the above fails and you have to create your own backgrounds to portray the scene as outlined in the script

It seemed fairly self explanatory to me.

The problem here is that actors and settings aren't originally MADE for one purpose, whereas game graphics are.  Settings and actors can be reused without a problem in movies whereas using rips in games is frowned upon, because these are two very different things.  Analogy ruined.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • now that's what I'm talking about
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
i really really do not like ripped graphics and would rather use either RTP or whatever else I can find.
needless to say I do not have adequate artistic abilities nor time to make my own

I don't know why I said all this in present tense, I haven't tried making a game for years.
fuck it all, dd is dead
  • PipPip
I've always used ripped graphics or RTP (i love me some rtp) because I simply can't make my own graphics. I'm not an artist and don't want to be. It really is that simple. Ripped graphics can be used extremely well, or very badly. It just depends on what you do with them. Using an ugly mesh of different ripped graphics from 20 different SNES RPGs and throwing in Chrono Trigger sprites with FF4 sprites completely destroys a game (PHYLOMORTIS COUGH PCGFGJG).
just because it's a hobby doesn't mean that it requires no effort and that you shouldn't take it seriously. pretty sure the dude who made cave story also thought it was just a hobby.

Everyone has a different approach to hobbies. Some people swing a bat for fun and just do it once every week or so. Others do it every day, or if they're not, they practice all the time so that they are really good at the hobby. The former people usually take pleasure in just doing it rather than being awesome at it.

Varying people have varying ideas about what a hobby is. Dictionary.com says the following:

an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:
Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.

To me, it's pleasure and relaxation to just slap some generic resources together, add some dialogues etcetera and see something unfold. If your idea of a good time and some pleasure is to perform activities you just aren't really great at and that take lots of time, effort, concentration and some aptitude for it, for no other reason than to make it look professional, by all means. Go ahead, put effort and take it serious.

Some people just don't care about making it look completely original, professional and polished. They just want to give their story a graphical interface, or tinker with coding, or develop how good they are at scripting events/thinking out dialogues... Really.

You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, and as any other person is to theirs. Well, exceptions exist. But the salient point here is, to put it popularly, "Everyone's got their own opinions, man, ya dig? People like what they like 'n there be nothin' you can do about it. So chillax dude, just go with the flow and like, don't be hatin' on people who just approach the same hobby in a more leisurely way."

//Edit:
Silly [*code] code not recognising page ends.
Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:09:00 pm by Foliage
<RPG> contra's depth is an illusion, it's not sustainable for a real story
<RPG> it's just fun, with fun gameplay
<RPG> rpg players ask "where did the robot come from"
  • I`m serious!
  • PipPipPipPip
The problem here is that actors and settings aren't originally MADE for one purpose, whereas game graphics are.  Settings and actors can be reused without a problem in movies whereas using rips in games is frowned upon, because these are two very different things.  Analogy ruined.
This is untrue. Yes sprites were originally made for a certain purpose, but that doesn't mean they can't be used any other way. Take battle animations for example. In pretty much every rpg maker game I play I still find very overused animations used differently. Same goes for character sprites, chipsets, pictures, panoramas and everything else.

Saying all sprites were made for a specific something, and therefore can not be used differently and that is why they suck is just stupid.
I like pie :-)
  • "When you're bound by your own convictions, a discipline can be your addiction."
  • PipPipPipPipPip

I'd still rather play a game with engaging gameplay and re-hashed graphics than its inverse. As long as all the internal parts work well, you can easily slap a new body on it.
Vagrancy - Be careful who you wake up in a twenty four hour parking lot.

His name was Not Johnny -  A young man becomes a sort of superhero after a crippling injury. He
  • clockamite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
If your idea of a good time and some pleasure is to perform activities you just aren't really great at and that take lots of time, effort, concentration and some aptitude for it, for no other reason than to make it look professional, by all means. Go ahead, put effort and take it serious.

Some people just don't care about making it look completely original, professional and polished.

no-one is arguing that people should have custom graphics that are on the same level of technical quality as professional games, they mean custom graphics as in just stuff you make yourself. i mean

i suck at pixelling which is why i use photos for my games and admittedly these are just pictures and not chipsets but it took ten minutes in mspaint for the lot and they're still a hundred times more eyecatching than even the cleverest use of rudra chipsets or whatever. this is what is meant by custom graphics. it's interesting that you guys all bring up this thing about PROFESSIONALISM when that's exactly what we're arguing against: there isn't any way that an rm game made by one person could be as accomplished graphically, musically, technically as a professional game, but the point is that instead of aiming for that by stealing graphics music gameplay etc from those professional titles it's better (for the community as a whole AND for you personally in terms of people-who-actually-check-your-game-out-instead-of dismissing-it-as-more-generic-rpgmaker-garbage) to use the limitations of a small project to explore new avenues instead of retreading old ones.

people have mentioned how ripped graphics are better than shitty custom ones, but i disagree: i actually think the professionalism of ripped graphics is a hindrance instead of a help, just because they tend to be absolutely lacking in any sort of interesting style or personality (and style and personality are basically two of the biggest strengths you can have for an indie game since they cost nothing but make people infinitely more likely to play/enjoy it), whereas even clumsy custom ones can still have both of those and also automatically help you to stand out from a crowd of 500 other rpg makers who are using pretty much the same charasproject characters and ripped chipsets.
http://harmonyzone.org
they're still a hundred times more eyecatching than even the cleverest use of rudra chipsets or whatever. this is what is meant by custom graphics.

I apologise to disagree, but I think those screenshots are not at all appealing. They may be eye-catching, but only on the same level that the drawings of children would be eyecatching; to me at least. I do not mean to offend, but simply state my opinion; I apologise if I cause you any undue grievances, in both the preceding sentence as the ones hereafter.

I much prefer someone to use the RTP or recycle the same old Mack 'n Blue chipsets than use those kind of custom graphics. Unless, of course, they are making a children's game.

the point is that instead of aiming for that by stealing graphics music gameplay etc from those professional titles it's better (for the community as a whole AND for you personally in terms of people-who-actually-check-your-game-out-instead-of dismissing-it-as-more-generic-rpgmaker-garbage) to use the limitations of a small project to explore new avenues instead of retreading old ones.

That is, indeed, a good argument. If you use that to support your love of custom graphics, or your belief that people should use it, then I think you are completely justified in your beliefs. It does not, however, convince me that custom graphics > ripped graphics/graphics from Japanese resource sites.

People who dismiss a game with unoriginal graphics as "more generic RPGMaker garbage" are simply that. People with an opinion. For everyone who hates your game based on the graphics, there's someone else who'll like it for the application of the graphics, or the story that they are used for. There's enough in the screenshot thread where people are truly impressed with the screenshots, despite them being unoriginal graphics that have been used before.

And hey, for every person who presents a game with custom graphics, there'll be just as many who dislike it at a first glance. You just can't get everyone to like your game.

Someone can make a conscious effort to take the people who would only play games with custom graphics into account when making their game, (and thus burdening themselves with the menial (to me) chore of studying pixel art and trying to create something they can at least say looks good to them) OR they can decide to take the easier path of taking existing work, applying those to their games and making do with what's available.

Making custom graphics of a high enough level may be beneficial to the community, but some people won't really benefit from spending a lot of time on something they don't feel they'll ever be good at. They might not even have that much time on their hands.

I apologise if I come off as aggressive or challenging.
<RPG> contra's depth is an illusion, it's not sustainable for a real story
<RPG> it's just fun, with fun gameplay
<RPG> rpg players ask "where did the robot come from"
I apologise to disagree, but I think those screenshots are not at all appealing. They may be eye-catching, but only on the same level that the drawings of children would be eyecatching; to me at least. I do not mean to offend, but simply state my opinion; I apologise if I cause you any undue grievances, in both the preceding sentence as the ones hereafter.

#1 learn to stand up for your own opinions jesus christ
#2 i disagree entirely idk where those screens came from but i would play any of those games, when i see overused regular rpgmaker type graphics my eyes completely glaze over and i give no fucks about them but those screenshots caught my attention right away, where are they from????
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • clockamite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
People who dismiss a game with unoriginal graphics as "more generic RPGMaker garbage" are simply that. People with an opinion. For everyone who hates your game based on the graphics, there's someone else who'll like it for the application of the graphics, or the story that they are used for. There's enough in the screenshot thread where people are truly impressed with the screenshots, despite them being unoriginal graphics that have been used before.

the problem with pandering to the people with the lowest standards of originality and invention is that you end up with exactly the same stagnant, insular circlejerk the rpgmaker scene has been for years. you can switch the word 'graphics' in that statement for 'story', 'gameplay', 'setting', 'characterization', 'music' and get the exact same argument and not at all coincidentally a whole bunch of mediocre-at-best retreads of games that were popular fifteen years ago. people make boring games, nobody plays them, people make the exact same boring games with slightly better mapping, rinse repeat etc. nobody wins: not the designers who'd like to reach an audience made up of something other than the same dozen-or-so rpg purists in the screenshot thread, not the players who are sick of the same old same old for years on years, not the rpgmaking community as a whole which continues to be regarded as a worthless creative wasteland by the rest of the (continually expanding and developing) indie game community. You can say WELL WHATS WRONG WITH MAKING WHAT I LIKE but while there's nothing wrong with that per se i was mainly talking to those people who don't just see their games as generic timekilling hobbies, those who actually care about making something worthwhile and interesting. and yeah, i think it is necessary for them to start moving away from ubiquitous, generic-looking rips and start thinking about how to make games that are interesting and different instead of continuing to pander to people who just want the same generic game over and over. note that i said interesting instead of appealing since taste cannot be disputed or whatever but continuing to work on premade content that's pretty in a generic way instead of actually taking chances and trying new things stylistically means dooming yourself to mediocrity and stagnation, not to mention like konix said severely limiting yourself in terms of the actual games you can make.

And hey, for every person who presents a game with custom graphics, there'll be just as many who dislike it at a first glance. You just can't get everyone to like your game.

this is true but you should bear in mind which kind of people are going to be liking/disliking it. different strokes and all that but if it's a choice between people who dislike a game for being unoriginal and generic and people who dislike it for being weird i think it's always better to err on the side of the former, for reasons outlined above

edit:
#1 learn to stand up for your own opinions jesus christ
#2 i disagree entirely idk where those screens came from but i would play any of those games, when i see overused regular rpgmaker type graphics my eyes completely glaze over and i give no fucks about them but those screenshots caught my attention right away, where are they from????

i made them to see how long it would take (about ten minutes for the whole bunch) and how much pixel experience you'd need to make something visually distinct from 99.999 percent of rpgmaker games (none)
Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 11:10:46 pm by thecatamites
  • clockamite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
vellfire is NOT A PLANT, everybody. i have never seen this person in my life outside of this studio audience. THIS IS NOT A HOAX. call now to recieve a twelve dollar discount on Swift DustWipes and experience the magic for yourself
are you using them in any games because i would play them no joke

also i have never met this person before i am just an innocent audience member.....*_*
BRRING! BRRING!
  • clockamite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
nah probably not, i actually got the urge to make like a compilation of short weird rpgmaker games when i was drawing them but itd probably mean editing the rm battle system to something actually playable and i have no real desire to do that. i quite like the arabian one on the left though
  • Descendant of Pirates!

Example of a custom edited rip.

"Zelda - A link to the past"  rips , to fit the game , "Zelda - Majora's mask"

Here's my scale:

Overused rips - 2/10
Default resources (RTP) - 3-4/10
Compilation of rips from many games or tv shows - 1/10
compilation of stolen resources from other people - 2/10
compilation of rtp and rips - 1/10
custom resources - 10/10
custom edited rips - 6-8/10

Using rips of other games in a story that is meant to join many games into one is OK (Like super smash brothers) , but mixing rips and using different names for them is just to0 stupid.
Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 08:24:55 am by alexross7
I am sick with a bad cold.
Benylin is the grossest medicine on Earth.
  • <Custom Title here>
  • Pip
"Why do people keep using rtp , rips , or someone else's material?"

That's like asking why people use game making software instead of coding everything in C++
How many games have you made this way? Show me at least one and I may take this little rant of yours more seriously.

Sure, its refreshing to see custom stuff in games but not everyone has spriting talent, not everyone can compose music and not everyone has time to do these things even if they do have the skills. Most people just have an idea and as long as they put some effort into choosing the right materials it can still be a good game. Infact, bad custom materials can hurt a game just as much as overused ones.
Custom is great, but only if you can do it well enough.
That's like asking why people use game making software instead of coding everything in C++

Yet another awful analogy--this is not the same thing!  You're looking for the answer "because it's easier", but choosing a piece of software over pure code just changes the way you go about getting your end result.  On the other hand, using rips/rtp/etc. actually changes the end result itself.
BRRING! BRRING!
  • <Custom Title here>
  • Pip
You're looking for the answer "because it's easier"

No, I'm looking for the answer "because not everyone can".

but choosing a piece of software over pure code just changes the way you go about getting your end result.  On the other hand, using rips/rtp/etc. actually changes the end result itself.

Hardly, sure you can make good games in makers, just like you can make pretty games with stock graphics. But either way you are constrained by the limitations of the tools you are using to some extent. The end result is entirely dependant on how you use these tools. Making an engine or graphics from scratch will always be the better option, but only if you have the skills to do it well enough, and not everyone does.

If you concider RPG Makers DBS as the engines equivalent of RTP you should see what I'm getting at.
Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:20:15 pm by Maxximum