Topic: Why do people keep using rtp , rips , or someone else's material? (Read 4481 times)

• i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
kentona isn't the only person to finish a game on these forums. its just the majority of people in the game dev section only care about the screenshot topic or topics like these. noone actually bothers to play the completed games.

i'm not bitter or anything no not at all.

You hit my nail right on the head , but I don't mind as long as you aren't bitter about it. (although more people here than "only kentona" have completed a game though, there was a poll topic to prove it)

Also my philosophy is that whatever it is, if it's a factor that increases the likelihood of the game maker finish actually making the game, then it has to be good in some respect or another.

Still doesn't mean I'm going to play it. It's got to have a lot going for it to get my notice. I waste enough time playing games, I'd have no life if I played every game every amateur game developer actually finished. (It would be a small amount in proportion to the indie game dev population, but it's still a staggeringly large number of total games.)
I take the same philosophy when developing my own games, if I don't feel it has the potential to grab the player's attention from the very first impression, thus making it so he wants to play it, then making it is nothing more than a waste of my time. Which is why I still have yet to actually finish/release a game to date. (Call it an excuse if you will, since it probably is anyhow.)
  • *peck*
  • PipPipPip
Just because you don't understand something, or choose to interpret it in a different way than it was intended, doesn't make it stupid.

it's not so much about me understanding something, because i understand it perfectly well. your analogies are just WRONG. flat, plain out WRONG. thus making them stupid.

soundfonts and colors are not equivalent to chipsets. they're equivalent to the programs and the pixels used in making chipsets, but they don't act as the chipsets THEMSELVES. chipsets are graphics created by people. they're already half-way made for you. when you make a map with a chipset, you're basically taking someone else's work, rearranging it, and saying that you made that work.

so let me ask this question, using my analogy, which is a much better representation of using chipsets: is it BLASPHEMOUS to take SENTENCES FROM A WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE, REARRANGE THEM INTO AN ESSAY, and say that you wrote that essay?
  • Kaiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Just throwing it out there buuuuut I honestly don't think the people talking about custom graphics here are advocating some sort of scorched-earth approach that throws out ANYTHING UNORIGINAL EVER: I am personally not gonna throw out Barkley because it used a remix of a Space Jam song or an edited photo of Bill Cosby's head. The reason people sound so didactic about this is because while there are valid examples of non-original content coming together to form something new (sampling recontextualising blablabla) none of them really apply to the rpgmaker scene, which is almost exclusively about taking graphics, music, gameplay, plots, and settings from generic commercial RPGs and using them pretty much verbatim in generic amateur RPGs. The correct analogy here isn't 'a movie which has a soundtrack of preexisting songs' but 'a thriller movie that uses the soundtrack from Psycho and the camerawork of Psycho and maybe some actual footage taken from Psycho and characters heavily based on ones in Psycho in order to make a movie with the same feel and effect as Psycho'. If you're unironically using the Psycho soundtrack in a horror movie than it's just boring and uninventive; if you use say a hip-hop soundtrack then you may be using unoriginal material but the effect will still be new and it'll also give you a fantastic oppurtunity to have a character named Norman Beats.

I do not care if someone uses Space Invaders graphics in an rpg, but using material from other rpgs is a pretty clear recipe for whatever the creative equivalent of inbreeding is. Using rips may be practical in the short-term but it's also extremely limiting and really is pretty much confining you to what other people have done before, which leads to stagnation. This also kind of ties tinto what I said before about how graphics should aim towards being interesting rather than appealling necessarily: a pretty huge chunk of RPGs involves exploration. You can talk about worldbuilding as much as you like but if the things the player sees and hears throughout the game consist of generic content taken directly from other rpgs then yeah it's gonna be hard to make something seem fresh or evocative or interesting. Does anyone still get excited upon hearing chronotrigger_cave.mid?
quoted for emphasis, this is what i wanted to say but couldn't find words (or patience) to write down. also whoa calm down Sapsuker take a breath! thecatamites explained that quite swell so it's cool.
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
If you're unironically using the Psycho soundtrack in a horror movie than it's just boring and uninventive; if you use say a hip-hop soundtrack then you may be using unoriginal material but the effect will still be new and it'll also give you a fantastic oppurtunity to have a character named Norman Beats.

jesus how did i miss this the first time around, this is the best idea anyone's ever come up with
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Well of course there's always the golden rule of resource management:

It's not the source of the _______ that counts. It's all in how you use it.

I think that's the point those guys offering up stupid analogies were trying to get at, but failing since they were trying to put it to an analogy rather than just say it directly.
  • "When you're bound by your own convictions, a discipline can be your addiction."
  • PipPipPipPipPip
is it BLASPHEMOUS to take SENTENCES FROM A WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE, REARRANGE THEM INTO AN ESSAY, and say that you wrote that essay?

I'll answer this question first: Of course not, provided that said content came included with Essay Maker 2009, or was created solely by individual users who posted it as a free resource to other budding EM2K9 users. If the sentences were not created or offered in this manner, then they would need to be cited as references or direct quotations; to claim them as one's own work would be unethical. Granted, this theoretical program was only released in Aramaic, so any English speaking users would be in violation of certain laws anyway.

Now, with that out of the way...

it's not so much about me understanding something, because i understand it perfectly well. your analogies are just WRONG. flat, plain out WRONG. thus making them stupid.

If you understood what I was saying perfectly well, you wouldn't have come to the conclusions that you did. I even addressed the "claiming it as your own work" angle in one of my earlier posts, but me repeating or re-quoting the same passage until my keyboard crumbles away in front of me seems pretty pointless at this juncture, as some people would rather play at the role of 'analogy police' than contribute anything that furthers the discussion. 

I'm honestly surprised that this thing has had the legs to last this long, considering the original poster subsequently degenerated into a ban hungry troll, and that this, as well as his 'I wanna make a bible game, tell me how' topic, may have been intended to act as a shot across the bow to herald that offensive. Before pouring too much more thought into this charnel pit, someone should post the obvious answer and move on.

Q)Why do people keep using rtp, rips, or someone else's material?

A)Because they want/need/choose to.
Vagrancy - Be careful who you wake up in a twenty four hour parking lot.

His name was Not Johnny -  A young man becomes a sort of superhero after a crippling injury. He
  • Group: Member
jesus how did i miss this the first time around, this is the best idea anyone's ever come up with

I almost did.  A few years ago I got on Newgrounds and downloaded a bunch of RPG-styled hip hop songs to use on my game's soundtrack.  That was before I realized that the original, unpatched version of RM2K doesn't allow you to play MP3's, and I'm kind of married to unpatched RM2K.
Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 03:20:34 am by Lackeos
I almost did.  A few years ago I got on Newgrounds and downloaded a bunch of RPG-styled hip hop songs to use on my game's soundtrack.  That was before I realized that the original, unpatched version of RM2K doesn't allow you to play MP3's, and I'm kind of married to unpatched RM2K.

your game =/= psycho, therefore it's not the greatest idea
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • The man in the woods.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

I had that song stuck in my head for a while too but the only one I actually sung out loud was Butcher Pete.
  • mmmrh
Making a game through using ripped graphics? That's like starting a band, but when they finally release a song nobody cares because it's a cover band!
I actually got an album that was just made up of just covers.
For every good cover band there are literally thousands upon thousands of awful ones.  This is how gamemaking is.
BRRING! BRRING!
bzgold is a senior game goods trading platform, mainly for WOW EU.  WOW US   AION EU.AION US
We gained Reputation in the market beacuse of high reputation and fast delivery. Players who
have interest please browse
http://www.bzgold.com/
we offen have the activities about give you some free gold , 
as long as you viste my website or tell us you questions and sugestions , then we will give you extra gold ,when you fell you longly or tried in the middle night , when you encounter difficulties in the game ,we will have a professional staff to accompany you in the game and tell you how to do it ,and solve you every question about the game , We hope that our service will help you!
The fame of bzgold is based on good price, reliable service and fast delivery.
We have proffesional person to offer satisfying service for the players in need. We will solve the problem which was meet in game for you immediately. Our customer-first philosophy and greatest interest concession will fully meet the needs of our customer. Ensuring customers get the cheapest , safedy, most efficient service here. Welcome to provide any valuable suggestions, we will consider the suggestions seriously and improve our service.
Thanks for the support and trust of our regular customer, and warmly welcome our new friends.
  • Uggablaggableaggh!
  • PipPipPipPip
But no one uses RTP any more... So in theory, making a game with RTP makes your game more original than using the same custom stuff that everyone else uses anyway.

And that's when I decided to become a barber.

@drbigt

"*sniff* your work, just inspires me to become a better lover." - Brent Murray.
But no one uses RTP any more

Read the gamemaking forum for more than two minutes and get back to me on this.
BRRING! BRRING!
  • now das fresh
arent mister big t games like all rtp anyway?
yes coulombs are "germaine", did you learn that word at talk like a dick school?
  • junker
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
aren't mr big t games all

anyway??