Design Designing Science Fiction RPGs (Read 1158 times)

• Comrade!
  • Group: Member
The overwhelming majority of RPGs are, of course, set in medieval/classic fantasy and mythology.  Science fiction RPGs are much more rare, and I tend to favor futuristic settings and plots.  I have played many science fiction RPGs.  While most of them are good, there many areas where they could be improved.  Even with the small number of sci-fi RPGs, I can see many cliches.  The purpose of this thread is to get people thinking and talking about creating a good science fiction RPG.  And hopefully, more people will attempt to make science fiction RPGs, and make original and enlightening works at best.  I will post many, many different ideas in this thread, and hopefully, you will too. 
Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:53:19 am by cumulonimbus
http://kuopdevelopment.blogspot.com/
  • None of them knew they were robots.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I love sci-fi, that's the only theme I ever do. I think the key to make a sci-fi setting is to take the present day and exagerate any issue or development to a certain point, make everything almost possible and absurd enough to be just barely believeable but still far from being complete fantasy.

I also think it's a good idea to take old cliches and reinterpret them in a different way.
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb
  • I know your secrets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I think it's better to take science fiction and fantasy as setting ideas than as a genre you have to kind of be inside. When I am thinking about world-building (not very frequently these days) I mostly think about the kinds of aesthetics that best fit with what I want to discuss in the game. Often with me it comes out kind of sci-fi but that's a reflection over the kinds of thoughts I have ("What would it be like to graffiti a space station?", "Suppose there were gods like those of greek mythology active in the 1920s.") rather than a conscious choice to think up a "Science Fiction" universe or plot-line. Maybe you are really into using genres to plan settings, but don't you think it can get in the way of what you really want to explore?
  • Comrade!
One major gripe that I have with science fiction RPGs is the usage of swords in an era of interstellar travel and colonization.  Now this does not make sense to me at all.  Worse of all is that when you play RPGs set in the present day, the developers usually have enough sense to do away with the sword.  But not when the story is set 200 years into the future.  When you play futuristic RPGs, the main hero is using a sword.  Now, I know that having a sword in a futuristic RPG can be good at times.  But don't make it a freaking habit!  Just because Cloud and Squall both used swords doesn't mean that swords should be used in every science fiction RPG.  The Star Ocean series might be a major reason I am doing this thread.  It's bad enough that you always end up spending most of the game on a medieval planet where everyone still uses magic and swords in the Star Ocean series.  But the fact that Star Ocean heavily copies Star Trek just throws me for a loop.  I mean, unless you are playing a Holodeck simulation of the past, or you are doing Klingon fighting using the Sword of Khaless, there is absolutely no sword fighting in Star Trek.  Do you know what the use instead?  Yes, that's right!  They use guns, and more specifically, phasers.  So why is it, that when playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope, my main character is walking around a space ship with a sword as his main weapon.  And then they come up with a retarded ass plot device in which guns are useless against aliens, but some magical sword can defeat them.  Really guys, WTF?  Am I the only one bothered by this shit?  Of course, many other science fiction RPGs do the same.  

One commercial RPG that does well is Xenosaga.  Xenosaga is one science fiction RPG that gets plenty right.  I've only played the first one though, so I can't comment on the rest of the series.  But I like the fact that they actually use guns.  Alter A.I.L.A. also does well in this regard.  One refrain that I often hear against using guns in RPGs is that it is totally unrealistic for player stats to affect guns.  But that is totally not true.  Using guns require at least a little skill.  For one thing, you have to be able to hold the gun steady.  Second, aim is important.  Of course, if you strike the heart or the brain, then you die.  But that is not necessarily the case if you hit another part of the body.  Also, while you cannot directly dodge a bullet, your evasive skills can make it harder for a person to effectively target you.  So you can make gun battles realistic; or, more accurately, as realistic as sword battles are in RPGs.
  • Comrade!
I think it's better to take science fiction and fantasy as setting ideas than as a genre you have to kind of be inside. When I am thinking about world-building (not very frequently these days) I mostly think about the kinds of aesthetics that best fit with what I want to discuss in the game. Often with me it comes out kind of sci-fi but that's a reflection over the kinds of thoughts I have ("What would it be like to graffiti a space station?", "Suppose there were gods like those of greek mythology active in the 1920s.") rather than a conscious choice to think up a "Science Fiction" universe or plot-line. Maybe you are really into using genres to plan settings, but don't you think it can get in the way of what you really want to explore?

I'm not really into genres to plan settings, per se.  I find nothing wrong with Zeus in 1925.  That is cool.  But there are too many cliches in science fiction RPGs.  Normally, I don't care too much for cliches, but when you normally play a sword wielding character in a Star Trek esque setting, when while everyone else had assault rifles, then I think that someone needs to try something different. 

Also, science fiction is a huge category, but most ideas are under-exploited.  It seems that science fiction RPGs fall into three categories: a post-apocalyptic world, a space opera (where you normally walk in dark corridors on a space ship...who would want to live in dark corridors all the time) in which you fight an alien invasion, or (more rare than the others) a biodisaster.  There are a whole lot of unexplored ideas in the science fiction RPG field that would make for some awesome RPGs. And even those three ideas of space opera, post-apocalypse, and biodisaster can be greatly improved upon.

And also, I am interested in the ideas expressed in science fiction.  Science fiction has been a medium for expressing our most profound thoughts and ideas.  Not just ideas about technology, but ideas about humanity, life, the universe, etc.  And this is one area where I think we can do better. 
  • I know your secrets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Yes, I am suggesting that the reason there are so many science fiction clichés is that people take the bounds of the genre too seriously. I mean obviously it is still important to be aware of the genre if you're prone to science oriented settings but it might be useful to think less about sci-fi and more about everything else.
  • Buttshit.
It's hard to work in a genre that isn't well established because you have to stop and think at every step and sometimes do huge amounts of research rather than just relying on past works, so it makes sense that people will either stick to whatever few themes are proven to work, or try to port them over from other genres as best as they can.

The best example I have is from Starcraft mapping where nearly all RPG custom maps (it's very moddable ok) try to be fantasy despite the overwhelming odds they have to face (scifi-styled setting, creatures, sounds and everything) even if it involves renaming what's obviously a space cruiser with laser weapons to "Acid-Spitting Hydra Level 2" and a guy with a rifle to "Elven Archer".
There's a few good scifi rpgs but not many because being the first is fucking hard.

There's nothing much you can do about it other than knuckling down and doing the research, whether it's for completely new shit or good analogues to what works in fantasy/other genres.
valves industrial valves tanks and valves valves and ball valves excess flow valves control valves valves industrial solenoid valves quality valves expansion valves check valves gas valves automatic drain valves gate valves air valves relief valves
  • Comrade!
Yes, I am suggesting that the reason there are so many science fiction clichés is that people take the bounds of the genre too seriously. I mean obviously it is still important to be aware of the genre if you're prone to science oriented settings but it might be useful to think less about sci-fi and more about everything else.

Of course, it is useful to think about everything else.  I agree that I take the bounds of the genre seriously.  But I don't think that it is hampering my creativity.  I don't have a demo out yet of my sci-fi rpg, and it won't be out for at least a couple more months.  But I would have to say that my game is probably a lot more strict than most other games when it comes to science fiction.  But that is mainly because in the particular series I am creating I want to do away with magic and totally replace it with science and technology, and also do away with swords.  I want to explore how hard sci fi I can make the game.  Of course, there will be some pseudoscience because assuming that today's exact same set of scientific theories will still be in effect 100 years from now is unrealistic.  

Again, the demo is not out yet, but the storyline is totally original.  It is a space setting, but only uses the Earth-Moon system.  There are no aliens whatsoever.  Instead, there is just a diversity of people and cultures (which solves another pet peeve of mine: Tolkienism).  No warp drives, no FTL travel.  Also, the game will explore modern (and futuristic) social and political issues.  And the game will actually have modern political systems, instead of monarchies.  So I don't think it is merely a matter of boundaries.  
  • Comrade!
It's hard to work in a genre that isn't well established because you have to stop and think at every step and sometimes do huge amounts of research rather than just relying on past works, so it makes sense that people will either stick to whatever few themes are proven to work, or try to port them over from other genres as best as they can.

The best example I have is from Starcraft mapping where nearly all RPG custom maps (it's very moddable ok) try to be fantasy despite the overwhelming odds they have to face (scifi-styled setting, creatures, sounds and everything) even if it involves renaming what's obviously a space cruiser with laser weapons to "Acid-Spitting Hydra Level 2" and a guy with a rifle to "Elven Archer".
There's a few good scifi rpgs but not many because being the first is fucking hard.

There's nothing much you can do about it other than knuckling down and doing the research, whether it's for completely new shit or good analogues to what works in fantasy/other genres.

Yeah, you are right.  It really comes down to doing research.  But that's the fun part, for me at least.  For my game, I have already done a huge amount of research (being interested in space colonization) before I even conceived of the game idea, so that definitely helps out a lot. 
  • Mario, Luigi, and their Gay Incestual Stories!
  • PipPip
What bothers me is that a lot of people are talking about "doing research."  Science Fiction was originally about basically having strange science without much explanation.  One of the first Science Fiction authors (Short Stories from the late 1800's) actually wrote about a dog.  It was about a kid who kept wondering why his parents protected all the spare "rations" into a giant metal container.  There were several hints along the way that the "parents" weren't the same as the "kid."  At the end, it switches perspectives to the parents who pet "rover" on the head, while taking the garbage out to a compost heap.

A good Science Fiction (or even writer) is usually well-read themselves.  Personally, if you're looking for ideas, a good thing to do would be to hit up a sci-fi blog (I enjoy io9.com) and read the summaries/news of the latest short stories, novels, movies, etc.  And a good sci-fi writer doesn't need to explain everything.  It's easy to use a "black box" design on some things.  Why are the characters in space?  Because the era is set in space.  Because the characters are curious teenagers and went in.  Because the characters are abducted.  Sometimes, it's best to keep things as simple as possible and focus on the truly important themes and messages or stories that you wish to tell.  If your characters all fight in space with swords in the future (a cliche a lot of people hate) maybe its because guns are outlawed.  Maybe they have magnetic shields that repel high-velocity metal?  Maybe their culture defines guns as cowardly or ineffective?  Maybe because everyone's in a dense atmosphere (similar to water) where bullets won't do much of anything?  It is a cliche, but unless you  decide to invent a new type of weapon class, then you'll always have traditional melee/ranged weapons, albeit with changes.  Think of the practicality and the scenario.  There are plausible reasons and thoughts.

Popular thoughts (in the past, at least) were always to consider up-and-coming technologies and then zoom into a time where this is common.  Nanotechnology is very limited and new right now.  In another 60 years, how does it alter daily life?  In the 40's and 50's, Arthur C. Clarke started to write a short story called "The Sentinel" that then went on to be expanded into 2001: A Space Odyssey.  When you think about it, the 60's were the space race.  He wanted to go into depth of these themes and used up-and-coming thoughts.  Our plagues and illnesses and the unknown have greatly influenced the release of zombie films, games, and comics.

Just a few things for consideration.
  • Sunflower of the Jollyflower Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Right now, the game I'm working on might be a sci-fi in a way since the plot-conflict device was an artificially-intelligent game administrator, originally meant to be only a decision support system that depended on different helper programs like its managing macro [auto'ed]-managed 50 HyperCam 2s and saves every chat log quick.

Later on, that helper-aided decision support system gained sentience and formed its personality, and called himself ARTHUR, in respect to the creators codenamed Knights of the Round.

In the Works:
[RM2K3::SFF-RPG] Wailing Mongooses in Gildepazzo

Under Hiatus/Literary Work mode:
[Lit/Rm2k3 :: Interactive Drama] NetGame Saga PROTOTYPE
[RMXP :: RPG] NetGame Saga
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
In a situation like this, the one question you should think long and hard about above all else is exactly why do you like Science Fiction settings so much in the first place?

You can use your answer(s) for that question to inspire or develop your setting or story. If the reasons you give yourself are honest and truly your own, then you should be able to generate some truly unique concepts based on how much creativity you apply to those thoughts.
  • Comrade!?! I AM NOT A FUCKING RUSSIAN
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
think about somthing that wouldn't norrmaly be associated with sci-fi and then try to intergrate it (reasonably) to try and remove some cliche like for example, small nano bots constantly swarm the player awaiting for commands, when given they bots carry out the commands to give an effect, the commands are words and effects can range from simply swarming an enemy to a giant blasmaball generation to lightning arcs (basicly sci-fi magic).
can't really think of any other advice tbh.
RIP DoktorMartini

My brute!
  • professional disappointment
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
do drugs and lay in your bed thinking about how badly humanity can fuck everything up in the future. if you can't think of something using this method you aren't meant to be a science fiction writer.
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
do drugs and lay in your bed thinking about how badly humanity can fuck everything up in the future. if you can't think of something using this method you aren't meant to be a science fiction writer.

Make sure to incorporate the drug use into the story/setting somehow.

Space drugs are the best.