Request Shakespeare Translator (Read 10046 times)

• The Lone Warrior - Jaffer The Battousai
  • Group: Member
To give it an ''olde touche'', yes. Gramatically it will be today's English, but with a few olde words. That's all. It shouldn't be something like correct language from Shakesbeer's time. It will be today's English with and old touch.
I don't think touche translates backwards like that.

Hundley is right, though.  If you don't know what you're doing yourself, then it won't turn out well.  If you simply want Middle Engrish in there, then simply throw in some words.  If you want it to actually sound like Middle English, then you're going to have to have a clue about what you're doing.  Not knowing what you're doing is the number one cause of completed video games just absolutely failing -- the gameplay won't matter, the story itself won't matter, hell, the graphics won't even help if your game is misguided and most of it is obtained through using a translator, even though I'm certain none exist.

If you want it to turn out good and actually strike the older feel that such a use of language should, then you just have to know how to do it yourself.  Honestly, researching a topic like this wouldn't take a long time -- You should already know what the words mean, the only issue is grammatical structure, which is maybe a single days worth of reading, if even that much!
Chakra Spindle Progress ~
CMS - 99% (What if something happens!)
CBS - ~5% - Mostly just (really poor) sprite work!

Desperately in need of a spriter~
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Man Middle Engrish why didn't I think of that, that's the best way to describe what this guy is trying to do.
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • professional disappointment
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Play the game and then judge.
negative. my time is too valuable to spend on games created by people who clearly don't give a shit enough about the creative process to put a little bit of real effort into it.
  • lol
  • PipPip
Quote from: Jaffer
Hundley is right, though.  If you don't know what you're doing yourself, then it won't turn out well.  If you simply want Middle Engrish in there, then simply throw in some words.  If you want it to actually sound like Middle English, then you're going to have to have a clue about what you're doing.  Not knowing what you're doing is the number one cause of completed video games just absolutely failing
I know what I am doing. Just trust the RM Gawd, cause he has enough experience to get the job done. :-A

Honestly, researching a topic like this wouldn't take a long time
What? I already searched my ass off and couldn't find anything. So if you can find one that quick I would be glad to get the link from you. ^_^

Quote from: Peggy
Man Middle Engrish why didn't I think of that, that's the best way to describe what this guy is trying to do.
''This guy'' also has a name.... -,- and no, that's not what I am going to do, Mr. Almighty.

Quote from: Hundley
my time is too valuable to spend on games created by people who clearly don't give a shit enough about the creative process to put a little bit of real effort into it.
I DO put effort into it. Just wait fro screenies and then you'll maybe change your mind. But don't bad mouth stuff you haven't seen anything of.
the infamous "Shakesbeer Translat0r" troll topique (14 pg.)
the infamous "Women Can't Make Games" troll topique (18 pg.)

What? I already searched my ass off and couldn't find anything. So if you can find one that quick I would be glad to get the link from you. ^_^
the link is called your local library, under s for shakespeare, can't miss it

I DO put effort into it. Just wait fro screenies and then you'll maybe change your mind. But don't bad mouth stuff you haven't seen anything of.

you're putting effort into the wrong end of it
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
I DO put effort into it.
if you need a translation service to do something you are fully capable of doing yourself, then NO you AREN'T putting effort into it.
  • lol
  • PipPip
Quote from: Peggy
the link is called your local library, under s for shakespeare, can't miss it
But where? Can you give a direct link?

if you need a translation service to do something you are fully capable of doing yourself, then NO you AREN'T putting effort into it.
So if I make an English game and I can't remember a difficult word and I look it up in e.g. google translator (which IS a translation service) and afterwards the game is just awesome... you would still say that I didn't put effort into it just because I once looked up a word? Only if everybody would find the game amazing?
And by the way: I am NOt capable of doing that Shakespeare language by myself. That's why I need that freakin translator.

So if I make an English game and I can't remember a difficult word and I look it up in e.g. google translator (which IS a translation service) and afterwards the game is just awesome... you would still say that I didn't put effort into it just because I once looked up a word? Only if everybody would find the game amazing?
actually i'd have to seriously question your educational background if you elected to use google translate instead of a dictionary or thesaurus.

but that's not what we're talking about here. you aren't looking for a reference tool. you're talking about systematically having translation software rewrite your dialogue for you, because you are unwilling to do the extra work yourself. you don't even care that the dialogue would come out MUCH, MUCH BETTER if you spent a couple days reading shakespeare and wrote it yourself in as close a proximity to that style as you can muster. you just want it to do the work for you.

don't pretend that this is some noble creative cause here. this is something you could do yourself, with better results, but you're just too lazy.
  • lol
  • PipPip
actually i'd have to seriously question your educational background if you elected to use google translate instead of a dictionary or thesaurus.
If I look ONE SINGLE WORD up Google Translator sometimes even spits out more translation words than a dictionary. Since it's about single words and not about sentences I don't think that Google Translator is so bad.

you aren't looking for a reference tool. you're talking about systematically having translation software rewrite your dialogue for you, because you are unwilling to do the extra work yourself. you don't even care that the dialogue would come out MUCH, MUCH BETTER if you spent a couple days reading shakespeare and wrote it yourself in as close a proximity to that style as you can muster. you just want it to do the work for you.
No, you're completely missing point and still didn't get what I want to do. I don't want the software to write my dialogue. I write it myself. Afterwards I will replace specific single words like ''uses'' and put in ''useth''. That's all.
And by the way: I read Romeo & Juliet completely, in English. It was some years ago, but I did it.

See, reading more Shakespeare does not bring a list of old words into my head. I don't want to miss any word which was different at the old times. Imagine in one sentence it says ''useth'' and in a later sentence it say ''uses'', just because I forgot it. That wouldn't be good...
Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:28:45 pm by Deacon Batista

• off tha hook
  • PipPipPip
shakespeare didn't write in middle english
chaucer did
i would like to see an rpg maker anime game in middle english, it would be good GET ON IT

And by the way: I read Romeo & Juliet completely, in English. It was some years ago, but I did it.
this topic rules
'flowers for algernon'
F!
Y*R( djiwn
"kxsn m12" -121
2czx n[/b]lk
LDK+DKDK=DKDK 9 ty u i l#
  • off tha hook
  • PipPipPip
also i'm pretty sure people like shakespeare for the content not the archaic wording and puns
but make it SOUND REAL OLD and i'm sure it will be impressive

someone help this man. send your text and I will translate it to that weird language those fuddy duddys wrote in bud. send it my way. time to put this college shit to work on something good to better my fellow man
Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:44:24 pm by im9today
F!
Y*R( djiwn
"kxsn m12" -121
2czx n[/b]lk
LDK+DKDK=DKDK 9 ty u i l#

See, reading more Shakespeare does not bring a list of old words into my head.

then you need to read it again and some other shakespeare plays too, you don't learn anything reading something once and then setting it aside forever, do you think you learn german by reading through a german textbook once?  no, you practice it.  practice writing in that style.
BRRING! BRRING!
  • lol
  • PipPip
Whatever... I need that translator.

Well it doesn't exist so sorry buddy you're on your own.
BRRING! BRRING!
I need a "brain to rpg" translator that makes my games for me.
BRRING! BRRING!
  • Watch out Kitty! The room turned sideways!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
you read ONE (1) Shakespeare play, from the sounds of it in middle school or 9th grade at the latest and you think you know what you're talking about, but you think you know what you're talking about but not enough to even do it yourself. Like how the fuck?

i honestly cannot comprehend the level of thought this guy is functioning on.
If I look ONE SINGLE WORD up Google Translator sometimes even spits out more translation words than a dictionary. Since it's about single words and not about sentences I don't think that Google Translator is so bad.
yes, that's when civilized people use a THESAURUS. you should probably be pretty angry with your teachers for never telling you what it is.

No, you're completely missing point and still didn't get what I want to do. I don't want the software to write my dialogue. I write it myself. Afterwards I will replace specific single words like ''uses'' and put in ''useth''. That's all.
i understand completely what you're trying to do. it doesn't make you any less lazy. you want your dialogue in a specific style for creative reasons, but are unwilling to do the work yourself. THIS MEANS YOU ARE LAZY.

L A Z Y.

See, reading more Shakespeare does not bring a list of old words into my head. I don't want to miss any word which was different at the old times.
as it was said countless times before, it's not about adding a fucking E or a TH to your words. no halfway intelligent person is going to buy dialogue like that. it's about sentence structure and word usage. your vocabulary is incompatible with old english vocabularies, so you'll end up with whatever half-assed dialogue you come up with that occasionally misspells words that had undergone some sort of documented change. AWESOME GAME DESIGN TECHNIQUE.

Imagine in one sentence it says ''useth'' and in a later sentence it say ''uses'', just because I forgot it. That wouldn't be good...
again, LAZY. writing in a style not your own is a commitment, and you are unwilling to commit to it. if you're unwilling to commit to something creatively, you really shouldn't bother doing it at all.

and none of this matters anyway because, like i have explained before, this translation service could not possibly exist. you're seriously better off ripping lines from shakespeare directly and basing your work around them.
Also there's a thing called suspension of disbelief that allows you to write a game set in the past in today's language.  It's the same thing as English-language films set in other countries, the characters aren't speaking in the language of that country but for the sake of telling the story nobody cares.  You're only going to be hurting your game by trying to write this way.
BRRING! BRRING!
  • Meh.
google translator would be even more work. If you looked up "work" from English to Italian, it'll show you 8 nouns and 19 verbs. Then you get to spend a lot of time looking up each word to figure out in which context it's talking about. and you'd also have to have a basic understanding of italian verb conjugation to figure how to say "you work(plural)" without it showing you the translation of "you work(singular)".
m
ohap