Topic: Overwhelmed by games? (Read 1911 times)

• Group: Member
Spore was terrible. Will Wrigth wanted to make another The Sims franchise, and this was the best he could do? After one playthrough I didn't at all see why I should want to play it again. Spore was probably a good idea that never managed to make it into a decent game. An overambicious game designer that doesn't completely understand the limitness of the medium that needs to be obayed in order to make a game fun to play.
Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:35:15 am by Merte

Visit me at naggynerd.com
  • tom cruise
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Spore was OK, it's just that everyone expected it to be the second coming of christ in videogame form (it was advertised as such, too.)

• No, it doesn't stand for anything.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Okay, so I've been overwhelmed by a game. I picked up Assassin's Creed 2 yesterday, and it does everything far better than the original could have ever hoped.

It feels like an immensely more complete version of AC1. I need some more time with this one to really judge whether or not this game is as impressive as it feels, but I'm really thinking that it is.
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Spore was OK, it's just that everyone expected it to be the second coming of christ in videogame form (it was advertised as such, too.)

yeah pretty much, also i'm not blaming will wright as being some horrible dude for this because it seemed like there was way more that he wanted to do that just didn't get done, i don't think it was out of him LYING it was just out of him having bigger goals than they could actually pull off in a reasonable amount of time.  it's still not that bad of a game, although really it's mostly just fun for the creators.  it probably would have been just as good sold as a TOY rather than a game tbh
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • No, it doesn't stand for anything.
If you go back and watch that 60 minute Spore conference from 2006 or so, the gameplay changed for the worse and the visuals lost a bit of grittiness. I think I may have even seen blood in that old video.

Some people speculate that some folks at EA may have wanted things to be done a certain way, and the gameplay was changed to accommodate their wishes. I would not be surprised at all, given how the old Spore looked like a vastly superior product and was more in tune with the type of heavily replayable games that Will Wright usually pumps out.

But yeah, what Spore turned out to be was a huge waste of money. Beyond the cell and creature stages, I didn't have any real fun with the game at all.
  • I am also known as jimmy7512
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
I think being overwhelmed in games is a good thing! This is one of the reasons why I want Demon Souls so badly...
RMN Profile
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1446/?p=2#posts

GameJolt Profile
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/action/zombie-outbreak/830/

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
what? it isn't overwhelming at all. it's pretty much 100% linear, they tell you where to go and you go there. I dont really understand how you can be overwhelmed at all.

I'm not overwhelmed by non-linearity or anything like that, cause I know it is essentially linear at heart, I'm more or less overwhelmed by the length. Due to the majority of games released these days I don't usually go into games expected at least 100 hours of gameplay, which is the overwhelming aspect. The length.

That and the absolute potential for really well made mods and stuff, with the Toolset.
  • The Lunatic Is On The Grass.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
i love dragon age but i suck at it for some reason/it gets pretty damn hard and the latest patch even made the game a bit easier.

put your hand up if you think alistair is the most awesome and camp knight ever.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
*Puts hand up*

I gotta agree with that one. A friend of mine managed to get into a partially romantic relationship with him despite all Bioware forum members arguing that it was impossible.

Also yeah, the game seems to be really hard, and I am playing on normal. Annoys me cause my mate plays on hard mode and I have no idea how he manages it.
  • thx ds k?
the cell stage of spore was the most interesting stage which says a whole lot. each progressive stage got more and more boring
  • Chronic asshole syndrome
  • PipPipPipPip
Oh, yeah i guess it was pretty long. I really geeked out and beat it in  a short while though. also, you didn't find alistair like really really whiney? every time he ever said anything to me he started crying about duncan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Yeah he is pretty whiney, but I just pass over it and be nice to him. Second playthrough I'm gonna try be an asshole to everyone, and maybe Morrigan will start to like me if I do that. She's such a bitch.

Leliana was far easier to get with.
  • Pip
Its got nuffin to do with these XB360/PC wrpgs  you guys are on about but pokemon and ssbb overwhelmed me i put almost 300 hours into each of them.
I love sucking dick
  • tom cruise
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Yeah he is pretty whiney, but I just pass over it and be nice to him. Second playthrough I'm gonna try be an asshole to everyone, and maybe Morrigan will start to like me if I do that. She's such a bitch.

Leliana was far easier to get with.
Just give Morrigan the Grimoire you find in the Mage Circle Tower and do her quest, should get her on your good side.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
You know, I would if I had a mage such as Wynne that I could use to heal my party when fighting the dragon, considering I can't have Morrigan with me on that quest.

But alas, I killed Wynne during the Circle Tower Quests.

Perhaps on my next playthrough.
  • Meh.
I was overwhelmed with morrowind, but it was too open for me and I pretty much gave up because I didn't know where to goat one point. Then I played oblivion and had my hand held the whole time, and now I can't get back into it.
m
ohap
  • tom cruise
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
You know, I would if I had a mage such as Wynne that I could use to heal my party when fighting the dragon, considering I can't have Morrigan with me on that quest.

But alas, I killed Wynne during the Circle Tower Quests.

Perhaps on my next playthrough.
Eh, what level are you? I was around 16 when I managed to actually beat her. My basic advice is this- keep all your warriors flanking around her as much as possible. Several of her attacks are only frontal, so if you flank her you minimize damage. Also, if you have any buffs which stop stuns, have them on. She stuns very excessively, so you'll need it. Oh, and if you have someone who's even mildly proficient in bows, it'd be worth letting them hang back and attack at range, because the vast majority of the dragon's attacks are close quarters.

• aye ess dee eff el cay jay ache
i don't play games very often/at all any more just because i'm constantly overwhelmed. i want to get everything and keep it and go everywhere and it just doesn't fit with how you're meant to be playing these games
I USE Q'S INSTEQD OF Q'S
  • Homer >> (_8(l)
  • PipPipPipPip
i don't play games very often/at all any more just because i'm constantly overwhelmed. i want to get everything and keep it and go everywhere and it just doesn't fit with how you're meant to be playing these games

haha, I had a friend who went a printed out the ENTIRE FF9 walkthrough from gamefaqs, and would consult it ever 30 sec. as he played, to make sure he doesn't miss anything... that's a horrible complex to have.

Yeah, you gotta chill and just go with it. Try it, after a while the feeling of "NEED TO GET EVERYTHING AND EXPLOREEEEE" goes away and you just play the game

-Official Progress + REVAMP II Release Thread-
http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?topic=72013.msg1316278#msg1316278
-Mirror 1-
http://dmatter.org/demos/the%20legend%20of%20the%20philosophers%20stone.rar
  • 100% not arab
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
If you go back and watch that 60 minute Spore conference from 2006 or so, the gameplay changed for the worse and the visuals lost a bit of grittiness. I think I may have even seen blood in that old video.

Some people speculate that some folks at EA may have wanted things to be done a certain way, and the gameplay was changed to accommodate their wishes. I would not be surprised at all, given how the old Spore looked like a vastly superior product and was more in tune with the type of heavily replayable games that Will Wright usually pumps out.

But yeah, what Spore turned out to be was a huge waste of money. Beyond the cell and creature stages, I didn't have any real fun with the game at all.

Quote from: Will Wright
We were very focused, if anything, on making a game for more casual players. Spore has more depth than, let’s say, The Sims did. But we looked at the Metacritic scores for Sims 2, which was around ninety, and something like Half-Life, which was ninety-seven, and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of Sims 2 than the Metacritic and sales of Half-Life.
WHY SO SERIOUS HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA