Topic: [Rm2k] Message box = three lines only? (Read 1271 times)

• Is this the face of a guy you can trust !?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Member
Hello,

I am having a bit of a problem with the message box (enter message) in Rm2k. Basically, I tried giving the old Rm2k a shot again i.e. reinstalling rm2k (haven't touched it for quite a while since I am working with Rm2k3) and discover that I can only write three lines.

As far as I recall (and i did look at some rm2k games), you can actually write four lines in the message!

I tried using the font patch (Drakul's?) but it doesn't seem to change anything (hopefully it doesn't affect Rm2k3).

Can someone help me out? Thanks!

PS I am using Vista (Compability on for Windows Xp Sp2)

PSS ALSO if I write Three lines and try to edit the message, it automatically delete the 3rd line. Guess there is some bug with the message box size.
Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:03:18 am by SW
Sprites and Stuff
  • Now it's Time for Change. Now I'm Horus.
  • PipPip
I have 4 lines in text box. Not 3 lines. I´m using RMK2K ver 1.05b. As picture shows. On Windows XP3.

As I recall, there is a version of RM2k that doesn't support four lines of text. I can only suggest downloading another version and see if the problem persists.
<RPG> contra's depth is an illusion, it's not sustainable for a real story
<RPG> it's just fun, with fun gameplay
<RPG> rpg players ask "where did the robot come from"
  • PipPip
Here are links for RMK2K ver 1.05E plus RTP´s:
Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:21:35 pm by ase
Bro, those downloads are illegal. You best send them to SW over PM rather than post them here.
<RPG> contra's depth is an illusion, it's not sustainable for a real story
<RPG> it's just fun, with fun gameplay
<RPG> rpg players ask "where did the robot come from"
  • PipPipPipPip
@15312
Thanks, but like foliage said, it's not a good idea to post direct links.

Also, no offense but those link looks kinda suspicious to me (tried one, but it's foreign to me)

As I recall, there is a version of RM2k that doesn't support four lines of text. I can only suggest downloading another version and see if the problem persists.

Hmm, I am not sure. Like 15312, I also use version 105b (at least that's what the setup said).

Maybe it has something to do with my OS (Vista?) cause in my old com (XP) i recalled having 4 lines. Oh well.
Sprites and Stuff
  • PipPip
I know . :sweat: Or try Emperor´s patch
Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:22:34 pm by ase
  • The Lone Warrior - Jaffer The Battousai
No, it has to do with the Font that your RPG Maker is using -- I had this issue with later versions.  There are plenty of fixes to this, mostly just "Font Patches," but I can tell because the font used in your actual maker is also excessively large.  I assume you also have to scroll to see all 20 variables/switches in a set, yeah?

Download a font patch!
Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:18:21 pm by Jaffer
Chakra Spindle Progress ~
CMS - 99% (What if something happens!)
CBS - ~5% - Mostly just (really poor) sprite work!

Desperately in need of a spriter~
  • PipPip
Here is the font patch:
Rm2k_fp.exe
  • Super Saiyan Sam
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
I'm not really sure, but I think it'll fix if you get the EXE file of a RM2K game that has 4 lines, and replace your own. You don't have to reinstall the whole rm2k.

Btw, don't use rm2k. rm2k3 is just better.
  • PipPipPipPip
I know . :sweat: Or try Emperor´s patch
Also, it's kinda slow to download so I didn't give it a shot (apart from worry about the content). Hopefully it's nothing.
But thanks!
No, it has to do with the Font that your RPG Maker is using -- I had this issue with later versions.  There are plenty of fixes to this, mostly just "Font Patches," but I can tell because the font used in your actual maker is also excessively large.  I assume you also have to scroll to see all 20 variables/switches in a set, yeah?

Download a font patch!
I guessed too. But apparently it is not, since I tried a font patch twice with no result (also restarted the comp).

I didn't download 15312's btw, cause I think it's the same with mine. (Drakul's)

I'm not really sure, but I think it'll fix if you get the EXE file of a RM2K game that has 4 lines, and replace your own. You don't have to reinstall the whole rm2k.

Btw, don't use rm2k. rm2k3 is just better.

You know, I think this is the solution I am looking for. Somehow I remembered a post that suggest this in the past since people have similar problems from ages ago (but I can't find these posts, because of the forum wipe).

Also yes, I agree Rm2k3 is better. Plus you can emulate Rm2k's battle with Rm2k3 with a bit of work (won't take that long) and it has better translation (no offense).

I just wanted to have a bit of fun messing with Rm2k (nostalgiaaa) not actually make a game or anything. Just curious as of why I suddenly only have three lines instead of four.

EDIT : Doesn't work even after I copy all four Rpg_rt (one Rpg_Rt.lmt). Overwriting these four rpg_rt files won't cause a problem right?
(actually I only worry about Rm2k3 since I always think that Rm2k and Rm2k3 is connected somehow (you can't open both program at the same time))

Thanks anyway guys!
Sprites and Stuff
  • The Lone Warrior - Jaffer The Battousai
Well, yeah.  You have to patch the font used in RM, not the RPG_RT.
Chakra Spindle Progress ~
CMS - 99% (What if something happens!)
CBS - ~5% - Mostly just (really poor) sprite work!

Desperately in need of a spriter~
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPip
Try this font patch first, then try what Jack the CRIPler said if the patch won't work.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9PSKRQYL
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I am Kaempfer they won't change my name back, please don't call me Jack the CRIPler, it is a stupid name
The Misadventures of Crimebot
  • Comrade!
  • PipPipPip
Just pay USD 1.50 and get it changed. It's not rocket science.
  • now that's what I'm talking about
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
if the patches/fonts aren't fixing it for you and you still want to use rm2k, just go to the sticky topic at the top for "updated rm2k/3 downloads" or some shit, and look down for "Special Message Box Guide Trick"

It changes the size of that message box window, selects a font that should work properly, and moves the grey guideline things to the correct spot.
fuck it all, dd is dead
  • PipPipPipPip
EDIT : Doesn't work even after I copy all four Rpg_rt (one Rpg_Rt.lmt). Overwriting these four rpg_rt files won't cause a problem right?
Of course it does! it combines both project somehow. Hahaha, luckily I have backup ready (+not that this project matters).

Try this font patch first, then try what Jack the CRIPler said if the patch won't work.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9PSKRQYL
Thanks Confus3d, but this is the same one with the ones I used (Drakul's). Although I am not sure if there are any other version.

----

It's all right guys, I was just curious about this sudden bug; I don't really use Rm2k these days. Plus it's a good thing that the fonts in Rm2k3 isn't affected (still have 4 lines). So yeah, all is good I guess!

But really, thanks for the responses!

Sprites and Stuff
  • my freinds call me theo but u can call me god
  • PipPipPipPip
Hello,

I am having a bit of a problem with the message box (enter message) in Rm2k. Basically, I tried giving the old Rm2k a shot again i.e. reinstalling rm2k (haven't touched it for quite a while since I am working with Rm2k3) and discover that I can only write three lines.

As far as I recall (and i did look at some rm2k games), you can actually write four lines in the message!

I tried using the font patch (Drakul's?) but it doesn't seem to change anything (hopefully it doesn't affect Rm2k3).

Can someone help me out? Thanks!

PS I am using Vista (Compability on for Windows Xp Sp2)

PSS ALSO if I write Three lines and try to edit the message, it automatically delete the 3rd line. Guess there is some bug with the message box size.

I think you just stumbled on a bad version of Rm2k. The Database font seems too large, also as it appears on that screenshot you have to use those little pointer buttons to scroll through the database. Unless you have a very small resolution, that's not normal.

I guess I could confirm it if you posted a screenshot of your About window, though if this is a hacked version of Rm2k, it may say version 1.05b.

At any rate, I suggest installing a clean, real version of Rm2k and see if the problem persists. I know we cannot post links to downloads, so I will PM you a reliable website I've used myself.
  • Zeldagon
buy xp/vx.

it can do the same stuff without scripting,
or more,
also without scripting.
or,,,
oven more (infinite),,,
with RGSS...

gee wiz
-No Cover Games !!!
-You are not better than the rest of us!!!
-Preparations!!!