Topic: [DEMO] Dragon Fantasy: Origins (Read 803 times)

• Angel of wavering tides.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Premium Member
Basic Information:

This new entry in to the Dragon Fantasy series of RPG Maker games brings the series back to the good and nostalgic times of the Nintendo Entertainment System... and to a time before even then! With 80%~ custom graphics made by myself, Origins is aimed to emulate a fusion of the old Ultima games and Dragon Warrior. Also, as in the 2nd entry in to the series, Origins re-introduces the Class-Selection system! Also, unlike before, you can now choose the class for your Hero, too! Want to have a party made entirely of Priests? Then go right ahead and be my guest! Any combination is available to you.

The story behind this game is pretty much non-existent. I have to tell all of you this now. Unlike in most of the other titles where there may have been some grand plot with semi-fleshed out characters thrown in to the mix, Origins is a simple as it can possibly get (within the Dragon Fantasy universe). The driving-force behind the character's actions and the reason you are sent off on a grand adventure is as follows:

"
-A curse has been placed upon the land by the Dark Mage, Vlad, and it is turning people in to hideous monsters! It is your job as the hero to gather together a band of worthy companions and venture out in to the world to put an end to Vlad's evil plot.-
"

Character Class Information:

Dancer
The Dancer is a fairly agile fighter that uses a variety of Dances to inflict status conditions on to her foes. Most of the dances at her disposal, however, merely target a single enemy.

Equips some 1 and 2-Handed Weapons.
Equips Light Armour.

Musician
Musician's are beautiful artists whom use their voice to sing many songs to aid her allies in battle. All of her songs target a single ally/enemy.

Equips Light Armour.

Elementalist
Elementalist's wield black magics to summon elemental beasts to the battlefield to obliterate her enemies. All of the Elementalist's spells are aimed at a single target, and she is granted a single spell per-element.

Equips Light Armour.

Priest
The Priest utilizes his holy powers to heal his comrades in battle.

Equips Light Armour.

Hexer
Combines deadly poisons to create deadly mixtures that disorient and disable enemy groups. All of their mixtures are aimed at entire enemy parties, but their abilities come at a fine price (Both Gil and MP-wise). However, the Hexer does wield a majority of the more deadly status conditions.

Equips Light Armour.

Sage
The Sage conjures powerful elemental-based storms to decimate enemy groups. All of his spells are linked to a single element, and they also target enemy groups.

Equips Light Armour.

Dark Knight
Dark Knight's utilize black magics to weaken their enemy's magical and elemental defenses. His abilities  target single enemy units.

Equips Heavy Armour.

Warrior
The Warrior wields their swords to channel magical energies and break their foes defenses, and also inflict certain status conditions. His abilities target single enemy units.

Equips Heavy Armour.

Screenshots:

Demo Download:

http://www.filefront.com/15275355/Dragon%20Fantasy%20Origins.lzh
Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:50:05 am by Ephiam
Check out Eternal Paradise, my latest RPG Maker 2003 project, over at RMN!
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1914/
  • Zeldagon
  • Group: Member
the art all looks negative,
can you add a little light in that ?
-No Cover Games !!!
-You are not better than the rest of us!!!
-Preparations!!!
  • PipPipPip
The art is "negative"? In what way? Oh, so you mean it's bad? I was going for bad. Bad in a good way, of course.

Light? There's going to be no light in here.
  • *untis* *untis* ^
  • PipPip
Light? In my RPGMAKER GAME!? THERE WILL BE NO LIGHT IN MY RPG MAKER GAME! On a more serious note, how many Dragon Fantasy titles are you up to now?
How about no!? You are an idiotic version of a baboon.
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
I've always liked the classic novelty of colored characters existing on top of an endless black void.

It makes me want to make a game just so I could harness that quality myself.
  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Wow for the custom graphics.. But I don't really like it, (I hate it actually but don't have enough words of CC to back me up)
  • PipPipPip
@Immakinganaccountk: Exacta! There shall be none. And I'm up to... 6? I think that's right.

@EvilDemonCreature: It is awesome, actually. I love it. I love everything about it, and that definitely includes making it! It is just so fun to make these kinds of graphics. However, the graphics are also what is stopping a lot of people from playing it... and so I do not gather very much information at all about the gameplay/how balanced or difficult it may be.

@Evil Pikachu: You don't need to like it. Not everyone is going to like this, and I knew that as a fact ever since I finished DF II.
  • i don't like change
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Well all good things come in moderation. People have high expectations to become absorbed in a world when playing a game. You can do that with a limited pallete, but the stylistic decisions become all that more important with the fewer options available.

Just remember the number one rule is that the more clearly the important things can be seen, the better the style/design meshes with the playing experience. I'm sure if you just changed the back(ground) color to anything brighter than the characters themselves, your game will get much better reception without changing much or doing any substantial work at all.

That doesn't mean you still couldn't use the black for effect/mood in certain situations. (I think it is in good taste to leave the battle screen black for instance) If you want to keep the ground color the same for that certain effect, then switch the palettes of the characters so that they only consist of colors that contrast well with black.
Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:17:54 pm by EvilDemonCreature
  • PipPipPip
I just really do not like any other look other than black with what I'm trying to go for here. I've experimented around a bit, but the others just do not suit my fancy. So I guess this will be one of those not verl well liked things! Oh well. Doesn't mean that I'm not going to finish it. =B
  • Zeldagon
not negative as in bad, like it looks like you did it in a traditional palette, then clicked inverse/reverse/negative/etc... button in mpaint or gimp or whatchumayhavit

but the fact that you have six 'series' (i guess is what you would call it) of DF is shweet,
i know for sure i couldn't do that.
-No Cover Games !!!
-You are not better than the rest of us!!!
-Preparations!!!
  • PipPipPip
I used GraphicsGale to make the sprites and the chipset.

Also, it just takes a lot of time. Anyone can finish a game as long as they take their time and just work on it when they want to.
  • Lichens!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
do y ou have any nude models
  • PipPipPip
I have many nude models, yes.

Anywhoo, some feedback of the gameply would be good if you got it, people!
  • *untis* *untis* ^
  • PipPip
I will provide feedback if you provide nude models.
How about no!? You are an idiotic version of a baboon.
  • Pip
Game looks good i hate people that bitch about graphics if a game looks fun but has horrible graphics play it why not......and yes i am saying these graphics are horrible but yeah im still gonna play this game if its fun.
I love sucking dick
  • TV people want to leave
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
Game looks good i hate people that bitch about graphics if a game looks fun but has horrible graphics play it why not......and yes i am saying these graphics are horrible but yeah im still gonna play this game if its fun.

i don't see anything wrong with the graphics, especially since they're actually something different instead of the same old shit that's in almost every other game

i think you're confusing style as poor art

this game was looking to invoke a feeling of a certain type of game and it did it a really good job of it
I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates
  • PipPipPip
The full version of the game may gather a tad more attention, but only time and patience will be able to show me that. It will take a while, but I am still going to complete the game using these graphics I've made. They ARE simple, yes, but they are simple in a bad way... that is good! Only real way that I can word it.
  • Cold-Souled Sovereign of the Night Blades
  • PipPipPipPip
Although the graphic style isn't exactly inviting to my eyes, I will at least try it once a demo is released.

Also, when and why was Atmabuster get banned? Was it a request, because I can't seem to find any point that he was warned recently?
  • PipPipPip
A Demo? But... there IS a demo! What're you talkin' about, willis? It's up there in big, bold red letters saying that there is a demo download right below it. You people need to open your eyes! Blarg.